*-*[3.1] Reflect Freeze / 75% Regen / 4000 LGoH / 70% block WinterStrike Chieftain*-* [Shaper]

--------------------------------

[3.1 testing section]
may update guide fully when i get time. below is enough to get the idea. i think 3.1 uniques and ancestral call really helped.

Items:

character link:
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/link1313/characters?characterName=thenewfreeze

ascendency:
juggernaut instead of chieftain

gameplay video:
https://youtu.be/l2kkQl-6BhY

-----------------------------------

Build Goal:
-To make a build worthy of getting bex's attention. for reasons. (sorry it does not include a bow!)

Summary + Cool Mechanic Interactions:
-Changes to freeze mechanics in 3.0 makes a self-freezing build much easier than it was in the past.
I will further explain the mechanics below, but as a high-level summary to cause a self-freeze of 3 seconds we would only need to take a physical hit of about ~1000 damage or a cold hit of about ~150 damage after mitigation.

Freeze mechanic explanation
Base freeze duration is 60 milliseconds for every 1% of the target's maximum life (before party scaling) dealt by Cold damage, up to a maximum of 50%.

-Winterheart amulet gives 20% life regeneration while frozen. With Soul of Arakaali (50% increased Recovery of Life and Energy Shield if you've stopped taking Damage Over Time Recently) and a simple CWDT + Immortal call + Blood Rage setup turns Winterheart into a constant 30% life regeneration while frozen beastly amulet. Also any of Chieftain's life regeneration nodes are also increased by 50%.

-The "of Light" (does not matter which one) glove enchantment creates consecrated ground for 5 seconds when you take a critical strike (+9% life regeneration with Soul of Arakaali)

- Soul of Yugul's 50% chance to reflect chills and freezes to monsters. It works wonders freezing them for 3 seconds each time because the duration is based on your freeze duration which is then reflected.

-50% increased chance to take a critical strike from five Reckless Defence jewels allows us to induce self-freeze (can be higher if the jewels are corrupted with the ChanceToBeCritJewelCorrupted mod which adds another 3-5% per jewel). Chieftan's Ramako, Sun's Light gives us "Cannot Be Ignited" so we will still trigger Soul of Arakaali regeneration. Soul of Arakaali also allows us to mitigate some of the extra shock (10% chance to avoid lightning damage when hit, 30% reduced Effect of Shock on you, 30% reduced Shock Duration on You) that will come our way if we do not have a grounding flask up.

-Izaro's Dilemma 100% increased physical damage while frozen is a Global modifier. Therefore because we dual wield two of them we get 200% increased physical damage (global).

-Abyssus's added 40-60 physical damage works very strongly with Izaro's Dilemma damage and 1.84 base attacks per second speed. The +attributes help us get some much needed dexterity and intelligence on the left side of the tree. The 40-50% increased physical damage taken is actually a positive in most mapping situations (i.e. not Minotaur) because it helps trash mobs freeze us for longer and is helped mitigated in tougher situations by the essence of horror armor we wear (15% of physical damage taken as cold damage). The +3 projectile for molten strike is not an expensive mod as most uber lab runners enchant abyssus to try to get +2 projectiles for barrage and it causes molten strike's damage to deal up to 100% more damage if used alone (from 1 hit + 2 projectiles to 1 hit + 5 projectiles).

-Molten Strike is a skill that "shotguns", i.e. if a monster has a large hitbox (i.e. Argus) then the magma balls have the potential to overlap and deal extra damage. Two Wildfire jewels add four more projectiles to the build and increase area of effect by 50% giving the balls a greater chance to overlap. Dying Sun flask gives us a further 2 projectiles and 20% area of effect. In total with the helmet enchantment and base molten strike skill we can have 1 hit + 11 projectiles which deal serious damage if all of them are within the monsters hitbox. Its worth noting if all flasks are up, all projectiles hit, vaal lightning trap is down, frenzy charges are up we can hit up to 1 million shaper DPS! (i won't advertise that further though because its not consistent)

-Izaro's claws grant +46 life gain on hit. Combined with our fast attack speed and multiple projectiles we can hit 8 * 12 * 46 = 4416 instant Life Gained on Hit per second. (Vaal Pact eat your heart out!)

-Avatar of Fire converts 50% of other types of damage to fire damage. Combined with 60% molten strike physical converted to fire damage we deal 100% fire damage. Fire damage is strong as it synergizes well with Chieftain Hinekora, Death's Fury node (Damage Penetrates 10% Fire Resistance, 1% of Fire Damage Leeched as Life, Gain 20% of Physical Damage as Extra Fire Damage if you or your Totems have Killed Recently), the passive tree node Lava Lash (30% increased Fire Damage with Weapons, Damage with Weapons Penetrates 8% Fire Resistance), and Berek's Pass ring (30% increased fire damage, adds 25-50 cold damage [Essentially 12-25 fire damage which is still strong considering our fast attack speed]). Avatar of Fire also allows us to use powerful support gems such as Fire Penetration and Elemental Damage with Attacks.

-Berek's Pass ring provides +5000 armor while frozen. In addition with +280% armour from the passive tree this ring alone adds ~+19000 armor while frozen.

-Kaom's roots "You Cannot be Slowed to Below Base Speed" allows us to still move, attack, and cast while frozen. The 2% life regeneration enchantment is not necessary but it is nice because it is increased by 50% by Soul of Arakaali.

-Auxium belt changes freeze duration from our life pool (6000+ life) to 65% of our energy shield pool. Now i say "pool" because it does not matter how much energy shield we have at the current time, the freeze calculation is based on the maximum amount. I have about 120 ES right now so .65 * 120 = 78 ES which means we have the potential to be frozen for a long time.

-Essence of Horror Armor's 15% physical damage taken as cold damage modifier means physical damage can cause self-freezes. It is relatively cheap to obtain for a 6L item. Start by buying 11 "Chains that Bind" divination cards at 2 chaos each and then using an essence of horror, 30 chaos, on it. If you get an energy shield base armor i recommend starting the process over as any added ES decreases our freeze duration.

Essential Items:

Passive Tree:
Level 92

Bandits
Spoiler
Oak:
1% of Life Regenerated per second
2% additional Physical Damage Reduction
20% increased Physical Damage

Ascendancy
Spoiler
Chieftain - Nodes in order to get below:

Tawhoa, Forest's Strength:
40% increased Armour
+10% to all Elemental Resistances
10% reduced Mana Cost of Skills
10% increased Strength

Ngamahu, Flame's Advance:
15% chance to Ignite
35% increased damage against Burning Enemies

Ramako, Sun's Light:
0.5% of maximum Life Regenerated per second per Endurance Charge
Cannot be Ignited
When you or your Totems Kill a Burning Enemy, 20% chance for you and your Totems to each gain an Endurance Charge

Hinekora, Death's Fury:
Damage Penetrates 10% Fire Resistance
1% of Fire Damage Leeched as Life
1% of Damage dealt by your Totems is Leeched to you as Life
Gain 20% of Physical Damage as Extra Fire Damage if you or your Totems have Killed Recently

Pantheon
Spoiler
Major:
Soul of Arakaali
5% reduced Damage taken from Damage Over Time
10% chance to Avoid Lightning Damage when Hit
50% increased Recovery of Life and Energy Shield if you've stopped taking Damage Over Time Recently
30% reduced Effect of Shock on you
30% reduced Shock Duration on You
+25% Chaos Resistance against Damage Over Time

Minor:
Soul of Yugul
25% reduced Reflected Damage taken
50% chance to Reflect Enemy Chills and Freezes
5% reduced Cold Damage taken if you've been Hit Recently

Flasks
Spoiler

Gem Links
Spoiler
Armor:
Molten Strike + Fire Penetration + Elemental Damage with Attacks + Multistrike + Faster Attacks + Concentrated Effect

Weapon1:
Whirling Blades (level 1) + Faster Attacks + Fortify

Weapon2:
Summon Stone Golem + Herald of Ash + Grace

Gloves:
CWDT (level 1) + Enfeeble (level 5) + Immortal Call (level 3) + Blood Rage (level 7)

Helmet:
Spell Totem + Enfeeble + Vaal Lightning Trap + Increased Duration

Gear
My Gear
*Important to note if you can't get all the resists such as i have on my chest you can sacrifice the extra damage i have on the rare ring for one with more resists. Or you can get "Cloth and Chain" for two points on the passive tree which will give +15% all resists/+36% armor.

Leveling Strategy
Spoiler

Leveling Skill Used:
Cleave + Onslaught Gem + Added Fire (lvl 8) + Elemental Damage with Attacks (level 18) + Faster Attacks (level 18) + Melee Physical Damage (lvl 18) --> Multistrike (level 38)

Leveling Strategy:
Cleave with the fortify threshold jewel made for easy leveling.

2x Kaom's Way Rings + endurance charges with enduring cry provided the life sustain/physical defence/resists.

Starting from maurader's damage nodes instead of life nodes and then going through the one-handed sword nodes and on to blade master/resolute technique added strong early game DPS. At level 51 respec out of the one-handed sword nodes.

leveling tree:
https://poeplanner.com/AAkAAJ0ACTEDAEt7jITEfuB2f55X5FFQR-8OFCBfPxo-8i-XeSgqi0-baoVS2WGtjc9-dqzqGPcyfNn46xRx891oZbvtkc4bqsEH135jF9l8ggfyQQ48OlK8nxiRhmBhUu9OXhNAoHrvBS2S0BLhcqmsqlnznz4t0ho4kFUnL3Ttcg-Ub2ZUZp760hZv42ohYHTxKaUm8xOluX7GBAPWvWAAAAAAAA==

Use the respec points you gain while leveling to switch from the leveling tree to the end-game tree.

Leveling Items Used:
Use from level 1 to 8:

Use from Level 8 to 24:

Use from Level 24 to ~44:

Use from 44 to 51:

Use at 51:

Other Items:

Play Strategy
Spoiler
Non-Boss:
1) Pop flask slots one through five
2) Whirling Blade into mobs
3) Spam Molten Strike

Boss:
*Make sure stone golem is summoned
1) Cast Enfeeble spell totem
2) Throw Vaal Lightning Trap on Boss
3) Pop flask slots one through five
4) Whirling Blade through boss
5) Spam Molten Strike
*Repeat steps 2), 3), and 4) as the fight progresses

Pros/Cons
Spoiler
Pros:
-Extremely strong life sustain
-Unique and fun build
-"Budget" ; cost me ~4ex at the time but reckless defense jewels, MS enchant abyssus, auxium belts are limited in supply and if the mechanics get popular they can increase exponentially in price.
-Can do elemental reflect maps with ease
-Can do Atziri/Guardians/Shaper
-Following map mods become turn negatives into positives:
Players are Cursed with Temporal Chains
Monsters deal X% extra Damage as Cold
Monsters have a X% chance to cause Elemental Ailments on Hit

Cons:
-Not the fastest clear speed (projectiles must go up before they come down)
-Not good in a party if someone else is boosting your energy shield pool
-Not optimal to do maps that have the following mods:
Players cannot Regenerate Life, Mana or Energy Shield
Monsters have X% chance to Avoid Elemental Ailments
-If you get crit striked before cwdt enfeeble or flasks or fortify is activated it can hurt. (this is why we have spell totem + enfeeble AND cwdt + enfeeble)

Videos
Spoiler

Pre-Immunity Bug Fix:

https://youtu.be/tbE5DWRobTo - hydra

https://youtu.be/eCscntqmjm8 - chimera + afk/gear showcase

https://youtu.be/MbmrtO8z2lI - shaper
*Used Anger instead of summon stone golem and vaal haste instead of grace for shaper

*Used Arctic Armor instead of faster attacks on whirling blades for minotaur

Post-Immunity Bug Fix:

https://youtu.be/4OZ2voF7Nic - Dark Forest Boss + Chimera + Afk

Further Testing
Spoiler
Big shout out to SoftcoreHardiness, discovered that death's door boots provide a large boost to freeze duration. This opens up a lot of potential to someone who can make a juggernaut version of the build with "unstoppable" node. Monsters can be frozen for 4.5 seconds instead of 3 seconds too.

Community Suggestions:
Spoiler
Spoiler
"
I might be able to suggest one touch that I was incorporating into my idea that might help your build. If you were to take one str node in the jewel near the templar area and move the wildfire from the marauder area to the templar area you could add a Red Nightmare. It would give you 16% block and 16% chance to gain endurance charge on kill. To make up for the loss of the Reckless jewel you could pick up the jewel slot near point blank. With Rumi's I go to 68% block and 75% spell block and with out it I am 48 48%. Just a suggestion. It seemed a waste not to as you already are taking the nodes that make the Nightmare good in that slot

Hope you guys enjoy! Any questions/concerns please post in thread and not via PM.
-Link

Last edited by link1313 on Jan 31, 2018, 12:52:07 AM
Last bumped on Apr 25, 2019, 11:30:02 PM
cool build.

*ahems* serious note. Its great to finally see someone revive the old 'white walker' build into something modern and playable. I am really excited that you put it all together so well, and don't have to resort to shackles to make it work. The old heartbound method was not very enticing.

Looking over the build, I still see the potential for one-off, haven't been frozen in a while, moving from pack to pack, 15 leapers jump you one shots happening. What is your experience with that?

Otherwise great work!
Hot Flashes: poeurl.com/bPZT
Balance: poeurl.com/btzp
Shocking EleHit: poeurl.com/bZXo
Last edited by Kwitch on Oct 8, 2017, 3:58:05 PM
No fun allowed
Last edited by Kim_Kardashian on Oct 8, 2017, 4:19:18 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but how the fuck are you moving while frozen?
Your build is incredibly well thought out, it looks fun, it uses more than one rarely used unique, it's not super expensive (yet) and it's actually pretty good. It looks tanky as well, it might be hardcore viable.

10/10.
"
DE_BattleMage wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but how the fuck are you moving while frozen?

That is actually a very good question!

Good sir, would you be so kind to elaborate to our foolish souls how exactly do you keep moving?
Last edited by chieftainkys on Oct 8, 2017, 4:54:36 PM
He says in the main post that Kaom's Roots lets him continue moving while frozen.
"
stabbylord wrote:
He says in the main post that Kaom's Roots lets him continue moving while frozen.

Thank you very much and have a good day! :)
Nice cheeky build ;)
🎆🎆 www.youtube.com/c/Ahfack
🎆🎆 NEW #1 LLRF Helm -> 30% MORE|25CON|25BURN|-12fire|352es
🎆🎆 #1 Phys/Impale Leg 70% Multi Amulet + #1 Phys Rings!
🎆🎆 ^^Free 7L Fortify Cyclone!
🎆🎆 https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/534134
The build is so slow, clunky and ugly - they may as well just leave it alone. If your willing to spend 8min + slowly wearing down a boss, you deserve to keep your build IMO. It takes less time than that to clear Uber Lab.

Well done to OP for being creative and thinking outside the box. IMO it's not at all to my liking as a build or play style, but I think it's great that we have so much variety in this game & builds like this can be designed for players who will be interested in it.

The build basically costs next to nothing and there's a heap of casual players who now could slowly kill off the Guardians and Shaper now for those extra achievements and mapping bonus %, who previously would never have been able too.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info