Are chisels obsolete now?

If I run nothing but T16 maps (unsextant'ed) that cost 3.5 chaos each is there a reason to use 4 chisels which cost 1.7 chaos when I could just use 8 chisels to buy another map?

I know people run abyss with 5 sextant's, chisels, and chaos re roll but that blows my mind how they could ever recoup the cost of materials which.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Last bumped on Oct 2, 2017, 9:08:29 PM
just takes one steel/opal to drop and a bit of crafting to sell it for 20ex. that'll recoup the costs. tho no idea how often they would drop for 5 sextant chiseled crafted abyss maps. i know i won't be attempting it.

i do use chisels on maps that i use harby orbs on cause then you get 20% beachhead maps which sell for 33-35 chaos
What are you going to save them for?
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
What are you going to save them for?

You sell them for T16 maps.
exactly. you sell them to buy what you need or want. want a headhunter? it isn't as far out of reach as you may think.

my build doesn't require one and would actually be pretty hard pressed to fit it in. my build is basically complete, without putting up for mirror worthy rings, so now im starting to find myself spending more and more of my currency on things like to complete challenges and such, because i basically don't have anything else i need to buy.

this league im doing my best to just roll one build and stick with it. the biggest currency killer is trying to outfit a number of different characters at the same time.
You forgot: You sell them for T16 maps and then complain about it.
Does chiseling maps you run really not matter? I usually chisel my higher tier maps because I feel like the 20% quantity increase should make a different. Hmm. Maybe I have been wasting my chisels this whole time when I could have been using them to buy more maps lol!!!
"
ironstove wrote:
Does chiseling maps you run really not matter? I usually chisel my higher tier maps because I feel like the 20% quantity increase should make a different. Hmm. Maybe I have been wasting my chisels this whole time when I could have been using them to buy more maps lol!!!

The way I see it, if 4 chisels is worth half or more of the cost of the map you are running it does not make sense. I mean would you spend 4 chisels on a map that is worth 4 chisels?
Nah, they help people in SSF greatly, as well as people who don't trade that much and want to do things themselves. In addition to that, they offer a choice; use or sell. If YOU don't feel that it's economically sound to use them, sell them. Doesn't mean they're obsolete.

When it comes to sextants, they offer a great value of "fun", for people seeking that. They make maps more fun, more dense and more rewarding in terms of drop. I've dropped MANY Steel Rings and Kaom's cards by running Abyss with sextants.

Not everyone lets the market determine every choice they make in this game. For me, "fun" is making my own decisions - and not the META/market decisions.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on Oct 1, 2017, 5:18:44 PM
Isn't it more about the returns you get from using chisels on a map than their cost compared to the map's cost? If I had to exalt every map but were guaranteed a 2 EX reward for it I would do that too, no?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info