[3.0 guide] A brief guide to Scion RF, modest investment, defensive carefree.

RF is one of the oldest build in POE, goes back to close beta, there are already a lot of RF build guides out there, so here I won't tackle too much detail, you can check other existing RF build guides for that. And I'm not putting out videos, again too many RF videos.

Here are some questions you might ask

1, Why Scion?
Don't feel like doing another Maurauder, bite me.

2, What's the damage level? Comparing to the usual RF Chieftain and the new fav Berserker?

Well, not that ideal, Chieftain has too much life regen, so it can focus more on damage passives and jewels, and berserker, well it almost always the best damage for most skill, so ``````. I would say damage wise, scion is roughly about 85% of chieftain, 70% of berserker.

However, a scion RF can still do more than enough damage, I clear everything up to T16 with ease, didn't try shaper and uber Atziri, by experience I suppose Shaper should be reasonable to fight, but uber atziri Trio might be too much. And keep in mind I only use one curse (don't feel like paying 20ex for that when damage is good enough), dual curses would be much better。

What scion shines at is defense, trickster gives a great deal of defense, as a matter of fact, if we exclude the frenzy charge generation part, scion trickster route is even better than trickster shadow. You basically don't worry about dying at all, and you don't pick map mods either, less regen, - max% or vulnerability, only no regen you can't do.

3, Is the build expensive?
Well RF build has three lockdown items, Kaom's heart, rise of the phoenix, and delirum crafted glove, it cannot be cheap, the whole set cost me somewhere around 600 chaos, not that much by my standard, but still you need to save up a bit.

4, Should I try Scion RF?
Who cares, ( ╯-_-)╯┴—┴.

itemization

must haves

Heart and soul of RF build, cheap and easy to run RF, Leo shield can still work but the defense that 8% max fire res brings is too much to lose.

Kaom's heart gives the most life, which for RF means damage, and it has a damage mod on it, BIS. The item is kinda expensive, you do need to farm a bit before you can afford it.

Kaom's heart does not have sockets, so you need to put RF main link somewhere, essence crafted glove is the best option. Why not helm? Because helmet can roll higher life, and also a decent helm cost less (because gloves are much easier to enchant). This is a kinda crappy craft, one resist roll and an open prefix, but works just fine,

other slots

There are not many restrictions when it comes to gearing a RF char, just life life life and resist, remember str also gives max life, try to get as much life as possible and keep your resist capped, simple as that. Don't worry about chaos res, when you have this big a life pool and that much of regen, chaos damage does not matter.

I use these gear mainly for one thing, keep my life pool over 10k, because it's pretty, which does decrease my damage potential quite a lot. Belt of the deceiver, and well rolled opal rings can give you so much more damage, but your life pool would drop and opal rings cost a lot a lot a lot.

One thing to keep in mind, is try not rely on your amulet for resist or attributes, bisco's collar is too good, use something like ngamahu tiki , a very good amulet for RF, and it's really cheap, which open the possibility for vaaling +1 curse.

Weapon we use doryani's sceptre, it gives a lot of ele dmg, and some attack speed, can't easily beat that.

During leveling and early mapping phase, you would want to use a supreme truth

that +1 gem is the key, which allow you use a level 20 purity of fire and lvl 2 empower to get extra 1% max res, and it doesn't hurt to gain exp a little faster. Switch to doryani's when you have a lvl 21 purity of fire and lvl 3 empower.

lab and enchant

RF run uber lab pretty easy, you can do all types of adds, but at your own risk. I only farm uber lab when it's a "portal" day.

Helm enchant RF 40% is best ofc, but it's expensive, you can settle for flammability effectiveness, shield charge attack speed, flame golem effectiveness.

Glove enchant doesn't matter, as long as it's not a fire based skill.

Boots enchant you want 16% attack speed, this build has enough life regen, extra 2% regen is not as good as faster shield charge.

skills

RF + ele focus + burning dmg + inc aoe/conc effect, main skill

shield charge + faster attack + fortify, movement

blasphemy + flammability, if second curse is opened, use a witchfire brew flask for vulnerability.

orb of storm + inc crit chance, you can rely on shield charge to proc EE and ele overload, people doing that usually using Kaom's roots also, I'm just lazy.

purity of fire, cwdt, golem as usual.

ascendancy

Must take Trickster, 50% increased life recovery rate is really good for your defense, when you kill an enemy your life regen can push over 20%, tanky as hell. And trickster also gives 20% damage when not on full life, well with RF we never will be on full life. That juicy 15 mana after using a movement skill is also OP, as a matter of fact, 15 mana! It's a free lvl 16 clarity, RF doesn't need mana regen, but for some scion MoM builds this could be insane.

The other route I'm taking is pathfinder, it's not actually the best option, but it's the most handy one. When using a flask, pathfinder gives 10% movement speed, gives 30% dmg, and there is one often ignored advantage, 40 dex, since we only have 60 dex on the tree, but faster attack requires 111 at lvl 20, you have 51 to fill, with pathfinder, you can focus on life and resist first, then maybe later when you can get dex from jewelry and jewels then switch to other ascendancy options.

The best option is necromancer, since we always run at least one purity of fire, you have constant 30% dmg, 4% phys dmg reduction and 20% chaos res, oh some skill duration helps with immortal call a little bit.

Inquisitor gives 25% dmg, 8% ele dmg reduction on consecrated ground, and 30% chance consecrated ground on kill, but it's really awkward, RF moves too fast but also doesn't really stand still, you run out of consecrated ground covered area all the time even when fighting single target enemy.

Champion gives 30% dmg when having fortify, and taunt can further mitigate incoming dmg, also 20 str and dex, very solid.

Elementalist doesn't give anything directly, but you can have two golems, fire golem 21% dmg and stone golem 100+ regen.

leveling

phase 1

lvl 1 to lvl 18, do whatever, normal attack your way thru for all I care.

phase 2

From lvl 18 to lvl 65, Scorching ray is your main skill, you can use this skill at lvl 12, but all the according support gems you can't access then. At this stage you use a 3L scorching ray + ele focus + controlled destruction on a +1 fire weapon, try to get elemental overload and EE as fast as possible when you start channelling scorching ray, and run for top left corner burning dmg nodes. Faster casting is not that important now, we are looking for one stack kill, but you can get some cast speed from orb of storm + arcane surge, if you need it. Oh, don't forget level a decoy totem, channelling skills' best friend.

The best thing about scorching ray as a leveling skill, is boss damage, the single target damage of scorching ray can multiply as long as you stack them, up to 8 times high, with decoy totem, it's a real boss killer, clear low level labs smoothly.

When reaching lvl 31, you have two new support gems to use, burning dmg, and swift affiliation (former rapid decay), now switch the skill to a 5L chest or a 4L helm/glove/boots piece, I level all the way to 55ish on a 4L, and still one stack kill most mobs, damage is no problem. After act 4, enemies become much harder, you might want to drop decoy totem more often to get more stack.

If you happen to get a tabula rasa or a 6L, reduce mana is the way to go, or item rarity before you get cruel lab, you don't really need that much dmg.

And before lvl 65, try to get most life regen nodes taken.

Try buying a supreme truth sceptre and use it as fast as possible, it's usually dirt cheap, the 3% exp gain helps your skill level more than it helps your char level, which keeps your damage sufficient.

phase 3

At lvl 65, you can equip rise of the phoenix shield, and start using RF as your main skill, then start buying emperor of purity cards, they are usually 2-3c a piece depends on how early in the league, even when you buy them at 4c, total cost is only 28c, then buy a t0 life essence, craft yourself a 6L chest with 120+ max life, put in RF + ele focus + burning dmg + swift affiliation + inc aoe/conc + item rarity. The best part of using a t0 life holy chainmail, is you can always sell it for more than what you pay, a lot of players aren't familiar about cards and essences, they only search "6L + 110 max life".

Then piece by piece replace your gear.

example char

POB code

https://pastebin.com/wPCXjrPG

dmg is calculated with inc aoe

for those who don't use POB.
gear

Jewels are all life + burning ones, one damage mods, they are not that expensive.

items and gem to swap

Switch when doing a hard map, -60% regen, -12% max, or vulnerability + 50% flask charge.

Instead of decoy totem on the weapon, which I put on for uber lab farming.

some numbers

with bisco's collar

life 10k
regen 12%
trickster regen 18%
RF damage 185k dot without flask, 202k with sulphur flask

with ngamahu tiki

200 more max life
RF dmg 202k without flask, 221k with sulphur flask

with vitality and stone golem
regen 15%, trickster regen 22%
enough to run all mods except for no regen