[3.0] The Leading Light Build - Charged Dash Raider - "Fun, Fast, High Damage Potential"

*Disclaimer*: This build is still work in progress. However, I am having a lot of fun with it and I think it has potential so I thought I would share it. If you guys have any suggestions for improvements, please comment :) (see section on things to be improved.)

CONCEPT

This build uses charged dash (CD) as a "jack of all trades" skill in combination with Brain Rattler. The result: fast mob clearing, boss killing and high movement speed. While it's not the best at these individual things, it's pretty good at all of them. Charged dash combines the advantages of shield charge and leap slam in one skill. No more getting stuck by pebbles. You can also charge dash through walls which you could leap slam over (i.e. those in the Ashen Wood map). This makes the skill much more enjoyable than shield charge in my opinion.

I use herald of ash to indirectly increase the AoE of my main skill. The overkill burning damage takes care of any remaining monsters in the mobs which were not hit by the charged dash.

This build relies heavily on frenzy charges in combination with the Raider ascendancy for movement and attack speed as well as damage. Shock chance and appropriate flasks can make the damage shoot up when needed. A high amount of evasion and dodge chance as well as fortify and the appropriate pantheon powers make up our defenses. Teleporting all around the place can also be used as a means of active damage avoidance, against projectiles for example.

OVERVIEW

Pros:
+ Charged dash combines the advantages of shield charge and leap slam in one skill
+ Fast clear speed
+ Relatively good map boss killer (note that I haven't tried Guardians or Shaper yet with this build)
+ Easy and cheap to get started
+ Fun and engaging game play (gaining and maintaining momentum through frenzy charges)
+ Good damage scaling potential (>1 mio. in PoB, tooltip DPS is misleadingly low)
+ 7 jewel sockets

Cons:
- Effective use of charged dash requires some practice
- Getting the Uberlab ascendancy points can be challenging without optimized gear
- Life leech is imo not an option due to the nature of charged dash
- Some map mods should be avoided (i.e. ele reflect obviously)

Ascendancy

Not much to say here, Raider is the obvious choice.

1. Way of the Poacher
2. Avatar of the Slaughter
3. Rapid Assault
4. Avatar of the Chase

I go for the onslaught route rather than the phasing route as it provides more damage and movement speed.

Pantheon

Soul of Lunaris + Soul of Tukohama

Bandits

Are you really asking? 2 Passives, no questions.

Required Uniques

Brain Rattler: our weapon of choice as it has everything we need: High damage, chance to shock, lightning penetration and a nice feature on top of that against bosses: enemies you shock have less movement and cast speed. Plus, it's very cheap for the power you get!

Darkray Vectors: don't really need much explanation. We use them for the movement speed and additional dodge chance per frenzy charge. The only disadvantage is that upon entering a map you are slow until you kill the first monster and get the onslaught buff going. Very cheap as well.

Shaper's Touch: Now this one was surprising to me as well. At first, I was thinking of using Hinekora's Sight for the additional accuracy rating and dodge chance. However, while playing around in PoB, I realized that the combination of Astramentis and Shaper's Touch is actually stronger. You get a nice chunk of life, evasion rating, accuracy rating and damage. Plus, here again, sooo cheap.

Astramentis: See above. Not exactly cheap, but affordable.

Other Gear

Body armour: You can use any evasion or hybrid body armour with good life and res stats. Belly of the Beast or Gruthkul's Pelt are the best in slot though. BotB is the more defensive option. Gruthkul's Pelt will give you significantly more damage but a little less life and no +all resistances. One disadvantage is that your spells are disabled so using blade vortex with CoDT to proc Elemental Overload is not an option (see "Things to be improved" below). Both of these body armours are however not absolutely required.

Rings/Belt/Helmet: easy choice here, get rares with stats like: +max. life, resistances, increased ele damage, increased phys damage, flat phys. damage, flat lightning damage.

Links

Charged Dash + Maim + Melee Physical Damage + Elemental Damage with Attacks + Fortify + Lightning Penetration. Swap Lightning Pen. for Conc. Effect against Bosses.

Blade Vortex (lvl 8) + CWDT (lvl 1) + Power Charge on Crit. (lvl 7) + Increased Critical Strikes (lvl 8)

Herald of Ash + Enlighten + Inc. AoE (+ Ice Golem)

Immortal Call + Increased Duration + CWDT (+ Vaal Grace)

2nd Six-Link: TBD

Current Stats

Current Level: 89

Offence:
Current PoB max. DPS: 204k with Lightning Pen., 262k with conc. effect (all frenzy charges up, onslaught up, flasks up, shocked enemies).

As mentioned above, with fully leveled + 20% quality gems and optimized jewelry, I've managed to break the 1 mio. DPS mark in PoB.

Defence:
5.1k Life
Up to 59% Evasion
46% Dodge Attacks (at max. frenzy charges), +5% if hit recently, 75% with Vaal Grace up
Up to 30% Phys. reduction + Fortify buff

Current Gear

Note that my gear is by far not optimized yet.

Video

If there is enough interest, I might create a video to showcase the gameplay.

Things to be improved

Elemental Overload: in order to reliably trigger EO, I use a Blue Dream Jewel and Blade Vortex + CWDT + Power Charge On Critical + Increased Critical Strikes. The BV setup is useful against bosses. Not sure yet if this is the best way to do it.

Mana regen: when you run out of mana while channeling CD, it will automatically stop and you will be teleported. This can easily happen after 2-3 dashes and is quite annoying. ATM I'm using Dream Fragments to alleviate this.

Use Fortify or Endurance Charge on Melee Stun? Not sure what's best here, I believe Fortify. Longer duration of Immortal Call thanks to Endurance Charges is also nice though.

2nd Six Link (once I have it :): not sure what to put in here, probably Ancestral Warchief.

Shock:
It would be great if I could find a way to shock reliably without CD and use elemental focus instead of lightning penetration for more damage. Vaal Lightning Trap or Ylfeban's Trickery maybe?

Last edited by Neuroziz on Sep 24, 2017, 4:25:28 AM
Last bumped on Sep 23, 2017, 5:57:15 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info