Need help with my character

So I've been playing now for ~1 month and have had some ups and downs. I struggled to get to the mapping stage of the game. I finally made it there, and then had trouble doing maps (specifically the bosses.) I made some adjustments and minor upgrades in gear, and now (at level 80 LOL) I can easily do Map Tiers 1-4, and can do 5 and 6 but will die some.

Ultimately, I'm having trouble with my life. My damage has been getting better and better, but I still only have ~3100 life. I really don't know what to do at this point. I mean, I could afford a Belly of the Beast but that still wouldn't get me where I want with my health. Kaom's is too expensive.

It all boils down to a lack of game knowledge and I admit it. I played this game right at release, and quit once my Templar hit 70. This is my first new character and I really didn't follow a guide but wanted to re-learn the hard, long way which I think has it's perks. But overall, I regret this approach due to the setbacks and struggles I've faced.

Could anyone look at my Ranger's build and gear and suggest some improvements? My build goal originally was Ice Shot for single target damage and Split Arrow for trash clean-up; therefore, my passives are invested mainly into Cold/Elemental damage whilst also bow damage passives. Right now I would actually like to focus on this Health aspect, so any recommendations would be quite useful. Did I over-commit to damage passives? Not really sure where to start and try to save this character. I have a little currency to play with, but am not rich by any means.

Any help would be amazing. Thanks for reading.
Last edited by Nexus555 on Sep 22, 2017, 12:32:01 AM
Last bumped on Sep 22, 2017, 10:27:07 AM
I can give some advice.

1. As a general rule, if you are at a crossroad where you can choose a life route or a damage route, always take the life route. This means that passives at the start is all wrong :) Take the Evasion and Life route.
2. You have not taken that many life nodes - take more!
3. Drop Point Blank, you will deal less damage to far away monsters, and you do NOT have enough life to facetank ;-)
4. I don't know how effective Ice Shot is as a single target skill. I would use barrage instead, but if you wanna go with Ice Shot, you need Cold Penetration support gem! Switch Faster Projectiles and Culling Strike with Weapon Elemental Damage and Cold Penetration.
5. Drop the "Piercing" clause in the skill tree, replace Culling Strike with Pierce support on Split Arrow. Replace Faster Projectiles with Weapon Elemental Damage.
1. You have fine items but only 81% increased life from the tree and you should aim for 150% as minimum.
(with 150% your life would be over 43xx)

2. Your life recovery is negative (under blood rage, leech from BR won´t help) bcos you have little no life leech (just from Blood drinker) from the tree or equip.

You have wasted lots of points to reach Heart of Ice for little benefit per 1 passive point.
I would drop all passives above Written and blood (inteligence pathing to the Hearth of ice) and point blank.
It gives you 15 passive points to spend (how many refund points left?)

I would take Vitality Void to get life leech and rest points should be invested into life (Golems blood and socket next to it). You can put some jewels with life/dmg into sockets. It will pump your life close to 4k and get some leech.

Using Elemental Damage as a Bow-based Character is best on the Pathfinder Ascendancy cause of the juicy 40% elemental Damage while using flasks.

Basic bow-Tree for Ele-Damage looks like this:

Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/3.0.1/AAAABAICAQBeBS0FtQguCIkPqxGBE9oUdRVDFr8Y2xmKGY4hYCLqI_YkiyT9JpUqWzB8MfoyATfUOdRAoEMxRrdHfkp9TZJRR1LsVEdVS1b6XWhh4mHrYqxjp2VNZdNnoGyMcUN07XTxdct293fXePl59npTeu99dX7dfyuExYd2jDaNfY1-jbmNv5UFlwaa8Zsmm42btZ2qoJ-mvqfUsQGyGbTFt7a74702vqfC7MM6xKLKqc9ez3rTb9N-1CPawd1G45_nVOjW6b3qYu0_7YPwu_1u_rr-yP_e?accountName=Nexus555&characterName=Coont_I

As already mentioned, going all the way up to the Witcharea for some cold damage isn't worth it.

Also, using Ice shot as your ST-skill and using "Omen of the winds" unique jewel does nothing for your ST.
Use Ice shot for mapping and use Barrage for bosses.

Link them with ele-damage, ele focus, inc. physical projectile, multiple projectiles

Try getting a Doomfletch / Doomfletch Prism (much better but more expensive) as a bow for ele-damage, its sick.

If you have the currency, get Lioneyes Fall unique jewel, socket it into the socket at Acrobatics and specc into the claw nodes in range to get insane damage and leech.
Pic Vaal pact and you have your GG-build.

Without spending to much currency, just do the fixes to your tree. Respecc from the witch-area into some life notes and your basically fine for T6-T8 maps.
Last edited by Arandur on Sep 22, 2017, 5:58:02 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. When I get a chance to play later, I'm going to redo my passives and probably even my Ascendancy points.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info