Can't believe this game is free?!

I've always heard about PoE from steam, always see it under recommended games, but never gave it a try since I'm just so caught up with playing warframe and D3 and PUBG. Then one day, I decided it was time I take a break from D3 because of the power creep ptr patches recently (PTR patch literally made game ezpz).

I keep seeing Path of Exile on my recommended games on steam, so I downloaded it.

Wow, logged 29 hours in 3 days. That's saying a lot since I rarely am able to play any game for more than 3 hours at a time. I'm doing a record breaking 29 hours in 3 days, if you split that, its about 9.67~ hours a day.

Yes my level is low, but I leveled a ranger to 37 and restarted as a scion.

Never during the whole process of remaking the new character did I think the game was tedious, my second play through to catch up to my ranger's level was just as fun as the first play through.

I went and bought the outlaw pack, just because I wanted some stash tabs and some cosmetics.

I will try to get some friends to play with, really enjoying this game.

Is there any tips you experienced players would like to give people like me who are new? Things like "things you wished you knew when you started Path of Exile"?

Thank you!
Last bumped on Sep 22, 2017, 1:28:29 AM
Sounds like you're doing things right. Have fun. Don't worry about trying to beat the game yet. Just go for it.

You'll find that your character will shit out on you at some point and you'll have to start over. Natural. Your first build is usually broken in some way that shows up in Act 5 or 6. Don't sweat it. We were all there once. Much better at that point to roll up another character than to try to beat the game with your first.

By then you should have enough knowledge of the game to make sense of the advice we might give you.

Might want to read some of https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1487111
Last edited by Shagsbeard on Sep 20, 2017, 8:41:11 PM
I didn't know that kind of thread existed, will browse through that.
The best tip is never play standard. You can play the league standard but never the simple one. It's the worst experience for new players with broken economy and infinite broken items.
"
Is there any tips you experienced players would like to give people like me who are new? Things like "things you wished you knew when you started Path of Exile"?

* take all the incresed maximum life passives near your path
* good leveling gear = gear with + Life and resistances, boots with movement speed
* you cant compensate for lack of maximum Life with damage mitigation/avoidance
* regarding damage focus on one type of things
* your main skill should be in 4-link (supported by three appropriate support gems) from ~ act 4
* use the best possible life flasks you can equip at your current level
* learn from mistakes

edit: and yeah, I know that feeling. I used to play D3 a lot and I have never played it since I installed PoE :)
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Sep 21, 2017, 11:01:17 AM
"
Adri38 wrote:
The best tip is never play standard. You can play the league standard but never the simple one. It's the worst experience for new players with broken economy and infinite broken items.

To be fair, losing your progress a month or two after you start a character sucks. Standard may have a crazier market than a mature league, but you can still gear for maps on 20c just fine in Standard and it's a much more stable place to learn the game than having to reboot your character every three months. That's fine for folks who know what's what and can get to level 80 in a day or two, but when you're just learning the game and playing mostly SSF anyways? Standard is perfectly fine.

Nantakuuu: Shagsbeard mostly nailed the high points. There's plenty of useful New User Tips in the Consolidated Guides thread. There's also a (somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but still useful) "100 Things I Wish I Knew" thread for PoE, here: 100 TIWIK. Note that some of those will be outdated since the 3.0.0 release, but it's still a useful buzz-through for the occasional tips on things that just make life easier.

Beyond that, though? This is a very deep game with a very steep learning curve. You will bork your early characters unless you chain yourself to build guides, and that's hardly any way to enjoy the game! Play, enjoy, have fun, get your friends involved, and learn as you go. The feeling of every new character you make being concretely stronger than your last, being able to go further, do more, and beat up things that used to give you no end of trouble is one of the great rewards of PoE.

Welcome, and happy slaying.

EDIT: WHUUUPS. Forgot the big one.

DON'T spend currency items yet! Or at least not many of them! One of the most valuable tips I can imagine giving any new guy in PoE is that money is valuable. You can blow some chromes, alterations, augs, little stuff like that, but Chaos Orbs, Regal Orbs, Orbs of Fusing to a lesser extent, and especially Exalted Orbs are all things you'll want to hang onto until you have a sense for how the game runs, what gear is Good or Bad, and how the market works. Do not ever use Exalts, try to keep Chaos/Regal/Fusings to a reasonable minimum, and generally be responsible with your cash. You'll appreciate the restraint later!
Last edited by 1453R on Sep 21, 2017, 12:47:00 PM
"
1453R wrote:
try to keep Chaos/Regal/Fusings to a reasonable minimum, and generally be responsible with your cash. You'll appreciate the restraint later!

Cash? As in real world currency? That's hard! Once I find a game I really enjoy, it gets really hard to stay away from purchasing micro transactions.

For Exalts, I don't know the value, but i asked on chat, and it seems to be the top of the chopping board in terms of currency right?

I have like 3
"
Nantakuuu wrote:
"
1453R wrote:
try to keep Chaos/Regal/Fusings to a reasonable minimum, and generally be responsible with your cash. You'll appreciate the restraint later!

Cash? As in real world currency? That's hard! Once I find a game I really enjoy, it gets really hard to stay away from purchasing micro transactions.

For Exalts, I don't know the value, but i asked on chat, and it seems to be the top of the chopping board in terms of currency right?

I have like 3

exalts are the second rarest currency item, the Mirror of Kalandra is rarest and most players will never even see one let alone get one to drop for them.
I see! Thank you for elaborating.

I picked a bad time to start this game, I'm leaving on a internship to China and will be abroad for 3 months for classes, I don't even know if I can play PoE over there in China.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info