I don't really understand how Shock works.

Taken from wiki:

"A hit of damage that has a chance to shock is capable of inflicting shock. Critical strikes inherently have a 100% chance to shock. You can also gain chance to shock via gear or the passive skill tree. By default, only lightning damage is able to inflict shock, but certain equipment such as The Three Dragons can change which damage types are able to inflict shock. Additionally, shocked ground inflicts shock without dealing damage.

The base duration of shock is 2 seconds and the damage increase scales relative to the amount of Lightning damage dealt to the enemy's maximum life. Increased damage from shock is capped at 50% at 10% of the target's maximum life dealt by Lightning damage, scaling down to 0% at no damage. Increased shock effect will reduce the threshold required to reach the cap. For example, with 100% increased Shock effect, a hit that deals 5% of the target's maximum health or more in Lightning damage will apply shock for 50% increased damage.

Shocking ground increases damage taken by a fixed amount of 20%. Other non-hit sources of Shock, unless otherwise specified in the debuff, will increase damage taken by 20%.

The shock status is applied after the hit (not before), because the duration of the shock is based on damage dealt.[1][2]"

Critical strikes have 100% chance to shock.

Does this mean, if i'm doing a physical blade flurry character, with the minimum of 1-3 lightning damage added randomly on my gears, I can shock as well?

damage increase scales relative to the amount of Lightning damage dealt to the enemy's maximum life
If the added lightning of 1-3 does apply a shock, but deals 0 damage to the target, does that mean the shock is applied but at 0% increased damage taken?

Shocking ground increases damage taken by a fixed amount of 20%
Say, I throw a vaal lightning trap, and somehow manage to inflict a 5% maximum hp hit on a boss at the same time. Which % increased in damage taken will be applied here? 50% or 20%? Do they stack?

The shock status is applied after the hit (not before), because the duration of the shock is based on damage dealt
So the hit that inflicts shock is a build up for the next hit. How do different sources of shock (gears, passives, crit) interact with each other?.

I've done some searches before making the thread, and I still don't quite get the concept so here it is.
Appreciate any explanation.
Last bumped on Sep 11, 2017, 8:16:59 PM
I don't know if the shock ailment applies if you can't reach 1% increased damage taken with your hit.

A better shock through a hit will override the shock from shocked ground. They don't stack.

No idea about what you mean with your last question, needs to be more specific.
Account inactive since Tencent majority share acquisition.
There is a minimum value on shock, so if you do less than 1% of the targets health you won't apply a shock of any kind, if you do 10% of the targets health you will shock for the full 50% bonus damage.

You're bladeflurry character will need to deal at least 1% of the targets health from lightning damage on either a critical hit or one that rolls a successful shock, 1-3 isn't going to cut it you'd need considerably more if you want to shock anything meaningful.

Only the highest shock will apply if you do multiple, so when you throw the trap if it does a big crit lets say you'd get the full 50% for 2 seconds then it would go down to the 20% for the regular shocked ground.

As to how they interact with each other your probably overthinking it, if your first hit shocks then you get a damage bonus for the 2nd hit onwards for as long as the target is shocked, if the 2nd attack shocks it will do so with a damage value that includes the first shock.

So first hit 1000 lightning damage, giving you a 20% shock for 2s

2nd hit for 1000 lightning damage will do 1200, giving a shock of 30% for 2s

3rd hit for 1000 lightning damage will do 1300, giving a shock of 35% for 2s

like that, so if you can land a decent shock you can scale it from your original one, hope that helps.

"
Draegnarrr wrote:
There is a minimum value on shock, so if you do less than 1% of the targets health you won't apply a shock of any kind, if you do 10% of the targets health you will shock for the full 50% bonus damage.

You're bladeflurry character will need to deal at least 1% of the targets health from lightning damage on either a critical hit or one that rolls a successful shock, 1-3 isn't going to cut it you'd need considerably more if you want to shock anything meaningful.

Only the highest shock will apply if you do multiple, so when you throw the trap if it does a big crit lets say you'd get the full 50% for 2 seconds then it would go down to the 20% for the regular shocked ground.

As to how they interact with each other your probably overthinking it, if your first hit shocks then you get a damage bonus for the 2nd hit onwards for as long as the target is shocked, if the 2nd attack shocks it will do so with a damage value that includes the first shock.

So first hit 1000 lightning damage, giving you a 20% shock for 2s

2nd hit for 1000 lightning damage will do 1200, giving a shock of 30% for 2s

3rd hit for 1000 lightning damage will do 1300, giving a shock of 35% for 2s

like that, so if you can land a decent shock you can scale it from your original one, hope that helps.

Thanks a lot, it really explains things to me. I've always been confused with the tick box "is the enemy shocked?" in Path of Building, it makes me misjudge many of my builds.
So, technically I need to deal 500,000 lightning damage on a single hit (according to some sources saying guardian hp is 12 mil) to shock...oh my.
G'day.
"
bananapanama1 wrote:

Thanks a lot, it really explains things to me. I've always been confused with the tick box "is the enemy shocked?" in Path of Building, it makes me misjudge many of my builds.

That sounds like a leftover from before Patch 3.0 (but after patch 1.something), where Shock could only be on or off and thus provide 50% increased damage taken or 0% damage taken. I guess they didn't update the app yet (I don't use PoBuilding yet)

EDIT: By the way, that should also answer your last question from the first post - between PoB's birth and 3.0, Shock's duration was variable depending on how much Damage per Hit you dealt, while in 3.0 it is now fixed and effect is variable. The equivalent would be the explanation the other guy gave above.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Sep 11, 2017, 8:20:51 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info