[3.0] Frostbreath Double Damage Ice Crash Raider

Update 3.1: With the change to vaal pact I am unsure how well the build will do in its original format. Some testing will need to be done with melee, non claw, non instant leech set up. Will be testing some of these things out over the next few weeks.

Introduction:
This is my first guide/write up of a build that I have had great success with so far. Any feedback on this or the build is welcomed. I have been streaming the development of the build also so can watch live on my twitch. I will be updating this post over the next week with videos of various gameplay and maybe a video version of the guide.

Build idea
Spoiler
The build came about with the changes to chill in 3.0 Chill now lasts for 2 seconds and the effect (how much the mob is slowed) is what scales depending on damage dealt and chill effectiveness.

This weapon utilises the chill effect to deal DOUBLE damage vs chilled mobs. The base damage on the mace is fairly low so the way I chose to scale its damage was to stack as much flat cold as I could on all gear and gem links.

Videos

Stats
Spoiler
Hideout tooltip:

Buffed tooltip without conc effect:
I don't think the weapon effect reflects on the tooltip or character sheet at all so double the numbers for vs a chilled target.

Defence tab:

Gear
Spoiler
Weapon

This is the unique the whole build is revolved around. The rolls don't matter too much, but I would prioritise attack speed>cold damage>chill duration>physical damage The item is super cheap, maybe a chaos or two if you want a better rolled one.

Shield

Lycosidae is used to ignore accuracy. We are using a unique amulet and rings so getting accuracy is really hard. This shield just frees up that gearing restriction. For rolls, just get the highest life

Chest

This is a life based build and so the best in slot life chest is a belly. If resists are a struggle, as this is a very unique heavy build, then you could use a rare chest with 100+ life, strength and the missing resists.

Helm

A rare helm with life and resist is what we need here. For enchant, I went with ice crash damage. The AoE enchant didn't seem to noticeably increase enough and I believe the mace doubles the damage enchant (I may be wrong though)

Gloves

A rare with life and resist. If you can get attack speed and/or cold damage, that is also a good option so long as you can balance resists between your helm/gloves/boots

Boots

A rare with life, movement speed and resists. With the change/bug where warding flasks remove map curses, we only need to hit cap (75%) and not worry about elemental weakness capping. This change also kind of enables this build.

Belt

Belt of the deceiver I think is probably best in slot for all melee builds. The intimidate and reduced crit damage taken are hard to pass by. The physical damage roll doesn't matter as we are a full elemental conversion build and the mace has a low physical dps. You can also use a rare here if you need the extra res or want more life.

Rings

I am using two Tasalio's Signs as these give a huge amount of flat added cold. Running the numbers through PoB, a T1 full damage opal ring is barely as good as these rings. For rolls, we want the highest flat cold and try to go for >250 evasion. These rings are ~8-10c. If you feel like you need the defences, you can replace one ring for life/resist/cold damage.

Amulet

The Pandemonius is the best in slot amulet. We are chilling everything so will always have the 20% cold penetration. It also adds a defensive layer by guaranteeing a chill when hit and also blinding everything we chill.

Flasks

An eternal life flask is used as we get increased life recovery rate from the tree and also the belly. We are also Vaal pact so an instant leech pot would be less effective as long as there is something we can hit and a fast, over-time flask would heal for more life.

Atziri flask adds free damage and also gives another source of leech. We only deal elemental damage so only need a 15% elemental damage roll on the flask.

The quicksilver to remove curses is required to remove map curses, most importantly elemental weakness. This is rolled on a quicksilver to get more charges/uses out of the flask. Before doing uber lab, I used a freeze removal quicksilver and rolled over elemental weakness maps.

The silver flask is just a go-fast flask for our shield charge. It will also proc phasing for status ailment immunity from Avatar of the Veil.

The wise oak is perfect for the build. Balancing the resists to use this will be a lot of work but it is a strong defensive and offensive flask. Before getting perfect resists (that is, all 3 elemental resists being exactly equal over cap), I would say try to make cold res your highest to get the cold penetration.

Jewels

We always want a life roll then at least 2 of: cold damage, melee damage, area damage, attack speed These jewels are fairly cheap compared to life +2 stat jewels for other builds.

Passive tree
Spoiler
45 points
Head to the duellist and pick up the life nodes along the way. Once you start using ice crash at level 28, pick up the cold conversion nodes at ranger and the cold pen cluster. Picking up the frenzy charge once you have done normal lab.

60 Points
Getting the leech nodes, especially mana leech, and start progressing up towards shadow, picking up another frenzy charge.

86 points
Grabbing all the shadow life nodes and going up towards witch. Also picking up the elemental damage cluster below ranger. If you have any jewels, you can pick up any jewel socket on the path, they are all 2 point jewel nodes.

107 points
Going straight to elemental overload which is a huge dps increase. Will also need to pick up vaal pact to offset the big boost in damage. Elemental reflect is going to hurt a LOT. Pick up the life nodes on the way.

119 points
Filling out missing life nodes and grabbing jewel nodes if you have not already got them.

For ascendancy we go Way of the poacher > Avatar of the slaughter > Quartz infusion > Avatar of the veil.

For bandits we kill all for the 2 skill points. We have access to 5 jewel sockets so 2 passive points beats out kraityn.

Pantheon
Spoiler
Major:
Soul of the Brine King We are primarily an evasion based build with a slow attack time so getting chained stunned can be painful. The upgrades do not matter as we have freeze immunity already.
Soul of Lunaris Is a good choice as we are evasion based. This will just add a little bit of dodge and evasion and some phys reduction, which pairs nicely with an evasion build.

Minor:
Soul of Yugul This is the only real choice we have due to ele reflect.
Soul of Ryslatha This is a useful swap when doing lab/trials to refil life pots.

Gems
Spoiler
Main skill

We stack flat cold here with both added cold and ice bite, we will have 7 frenzy charges by being raider. We also use a concentrated effect gem swap with the increased area of effect gem for bosses.

Auras

Herald of ice for more flat damage, getting quality is a global increase in cold damage. Arctic armor for a source of guaranteed chill and the physical damage reduction. Blasphemy frostbite for the obvious cold resist reduction and the chance to freeze is always nice as we are non-crit.

Utility

This totem is another source of chill as well as boosting your ice crash damage vs bosses. Culling is for bosses.

Keep the cast when damage taken at level 1 to get reliable procs of both vortex and frost bomb. Vortex is another source of chill and the frost bomb for the resist reduction.

Rallying cry just for another damage boost. Vaal lightning trap for the shocked ground vs bosses/harbinger packs.

Movement

The standard shield charge set up. This is the last 4L and there are many options for it.

Leap slam if you want the option to leap over walls. Increased critical strikes if you want to proc elemental overload more reliably or quality culling strike if you want an even faster shield charge. I use a portal gem here because I'm lazy :)

Final Thoughts
I initially rolled this build thinking I was going to play to about 80 and get bored. But surprisingly, I have had such a blast both playing and tweaking the build. The play style is very chill and bossing is pretty decent. I have so far managed to clear all T15 maps and Atziri. I will be going for guardians and will update the post with the videos. Lastly I want to give a shout out to Tankajin for helping tweak the build into what you see here.
Last edited by CAJOS on Dec 16, 2017, 6:00:31 PM
Last bumped on Dec 16, 2017, 5:58:00 PM
{RESERVED}
Nice build, from partying with you it feels really quick compared to my dark pact too. Neat layout too!
"
CAJOS wrote:
The play style is very chill

Indeed!
Added a few boss kill videos. Will be attempting shaper for the first time soon, hopefully it goes well
Glad I could assist ya in fine tuning the build, always fun to see something take shape :)

Good luck on shaper !
Hey

Could you please limit a bit number of spoilers in your guide (especially in gear section)?
Adding it to my build list tho.

Have a good day :)
Removed some of the spoilers, didn't want to have too much wall of text but then i guess its too much unnecessary clicking.
Did you update this build after 3.1 patch with new passives ?
With the change to vaal pact, I'm not sure how this build would fair in its original format, I'm pretty sure instant leech carried the build in harder encounters. I will be testing some things out in the coming weeks so will update then. Other than the vaal pact change, the build is pretty much unchanged.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info