[3.5] Soul Mantle Dark Pact Totems - League Starter - All Content

"
SHEPUUURD wrote:
"
watlemeron wrote:
Thanks for the build, leveling it now to give it a try. Quick question though, why is controlled destruction in the final gem links setup when there's so much crit in the tree? Is there an interaction with totems or something that I am missing?

There's two kinds of multipliers in this game - increased/reduced and more/less:
-increases and reductions get added up and are then multiplied by (in this case) our crit chance.
-more/less always multiplies straight away, even with themselves.

Controlled Destruction gives us reduced Critical Strike chance and more Spell Damage, this means:
-our damage is multiplied by 1.44%
-our critical strike chance is reduced by a flat 100% of our base chance - in this case 5 from (Dark Pact) + 1.5 (from Assassin) + 1.9 (from Increased Critical Strikes) = 8.4%.

Since we're already stacking a lot of crit chance (my character has 858% increased without Power Charges) the reduction is barely noticeable while the multiplied damage is a lot.
In fact, Controlled Destruction is so strong right now that it's better than Increased Critical Strikes/Damage in every crit and noncrit caster build.

Thanks for the detailed response!

Just got to 49 and got all the basic stuff for the build and switched the dark pact by the way, seems very fun and effective so far.
Thank you for taking the time to put this together.

I was curious if you had tried out wands at all in this build. Like dual Apep's or some other combination.
"
KleeziE wrote:
Thank you for taking the time to put this together.

I was curious if you had tried out wands at all in this build. Like dual Apep's or some other combination.

Rare wands aren't really worth it, as their damaage iw the same as daggers and they prevent you from using Whirling Blades.

Apep's is something that could be considered for bossing. The damage it gives is just short of mirrored rare gear and the cast speed is also good for Wither.

The drawbacks are obviously the mana cost (which I haven't tested) and the unability to use Whirling Blades. The best skill to replace it would be a Lightning Wrap linked to Less Duration and Swift Affliction.

As you can see in the Videos though the damage is kind of overkill already. I wanted to post a version of the build that I consider the best for overall playing.
AFter all, there are a lot of things you could change; Apep's for damage, Brightbeak and totem placement speed for clearspeed or MoM for extra defensiveness.
Builds and Guides:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2198879
Well, I am playing the same build. I was about to write a thread when I saw yours. I think I could give some additional advise.

Since you are not reserving any mana. You could use a clear mind for 60% inc spell damage. You may also use a level 1 clarity linked to blood magic to get 10% movement/cast speed from guardian ascendency.

Since dark pact totems need to be placed quite close to mobs. Spire of Stone Jewel may be used so their spell cast would not be interrupted by stunning.

For general map clearing, a dagger with high added lightning damage to spell / added lighting damage/innervate support works wonder since shocking would greatly increase the damage output. Dark pact has 195% damage effectiveness @ level 20 so it could do large amount of lighting damage with the added damage from gears/supports alone. This is not recommended for bosses/resist maps since we don't have any lighting penetration.

Hierophant is also a viable option. You could put wither-spell totem in your helmet so you could have 3 dark pact totems plus 1 wither totem. This combination is useful against boss encounters where it is dangerous to cast wither when standing still. 92 uncapped resistance is required for this combination since curses are not completely ignored.
Last edited by msj1990 on Sep 11, 2017, 9:04:17 AM
Can i try this build in HC
It will be my first build in HC after regular league, but i tryed this build in regular
"
msj1990 wrote:
Well, I am playing the same build. I was about to write a thread when I saw yours. I think I could give some additional advise.

Since you are not reserving any mana. You could use a clear mind for 60% inc spell damage. You may also use a level 1 clarity linked to blood magic to get 10% movement/cast speed from guardian ascendency.

Since dark pact totems need to be placed quite close to mobs. Spire of Stone Jewel may be used so their spell cast would not be interrupted by stunning.

For general map clearing, a dagger with high added lightning damage to spell / added lighting damage/innervate support works wonder since shocking would greatly increase the damage output. Dark pact has 195% damage effectiveness @ level 20 so it could do large amount of lighting damage with the added damage from gears/supports alone. This is not recommended for bosses/resist maps since we don't have any lighting penetration.

Hierophant is also a viable option. You could put wither-spell totem in your helmet so you could have 3 dark pact totems plus 1 wither totem. This combination is useful against boss encounters where it is dangerous to cast wither when standing still. 92 uncapped resistance is required for this combination since curses are not completely ignored.

I'm reserving mana with my haste aura. Clear Mind is a good idea for MoM versions though, but I'm not sure if it's better than using a rare Jewel and running a regular Clarity.

Soul Mantle totems are extremely tanky. Mine have 6k HP, take 45% less damage (Patch from 3.0), have max resists and take 10% reduced physical damage. I've never really had a problem with them getting stunned, since stun is based on the damage done to the totems.

I agree with the added lightning damage. One of the reasons DP is so strong is because it scales so well with added damage. As I said earlier I wanted to keep this a cookie-cutter build that can do everything without having to change gear. As you said, there are a lot of map mods that interfere with shocking and most things die pretty quick anyway.

Hierophant is definitely a viable option, as is Occultist. I think Guardian is the safest overall. Some people run elemental Soul Mantle spells on an Inquisitor (Templar) as well. The 20% curse effect is ok to deal with but is often underestimated.

"
rozovii_gyss wrote:
Can i try this build in HC
It will be my first build in HC after regular league, but i tryed this build in regular

You can run this build on HC, preferably with Mind over Matter.
I recommend you to use BobSlop's build though. He made a video of it on Youtube and I think it's better suited for HC. I will put the link in my guide if I get his permission.
Builds and Guides:
I'm interested in your build, while the 6L Soul Mantle is not cheap at all...
And if I go with a 5L Soul Mantle, how far can I go on the Path of Exile?
"
kafka1989 wrote:
I'm interested in your build, while the 6L Soul Mantle is not cheap at all...
And if I go with a 5L Soul Mantle, how far can I go on the Path of Exile?

You can still do everything with a 5L, that's why I listed the Gems in order.
Your damage will be nearly as high as on a 6L as long as you have the diamond flask up.
Builds and Guides:
Just started this today on HC - thanks for the leveling section. Feeling super tanky and dishing out a ton of damage currently at level 53, first time playing scion and having a blast
Last edited by Covan on Sep 12, 2017, 7:24:02 PM
Assassin vs Occultist ascendancy
While Occultist provides about 5% more damage, it only works against cursed enemies, wheras the Assassin's critchance is always active.

This means that:
1. Occultist is useless against hexproof enemies.
2. We would need to selfcast curses, which we simply can't afford to do because we already use Wither.

About this, you can just use gloves with TC curse on hit corrupt.

And you can then add controlled destruction to whirling blades to have lower chance to crit when whirling on mobs, because we can still crit even if its no damage(not sure if its true, but here what wiki says about Ancestral Bond: "Effects that require hitting or critting can still be used directly, such as that granted by Blind Support or Power Charge On Critical Support, so long as the effect is not scaled by damage. Elemental status ailments will not be triggered by direct skills for this reason.").
Last edited by za6i9ka on Sep 12, 2017, 9:01:25 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info