[3.0 OCC] Powerful Tri-Curse Skeleton Mages - No expensive 6L uniques or jewels required

TL;DR Path of Building Pastebin Link

I've linked the URL to poe.trade beside the gear (ie. [HSC]) for your convenience.

Character: DireRattle

The build at a glance:
-5100+ life and 2000+ ES with MoM
-Victario's Influence for auras and curses
-Temporal Chains to slow mobs
-Elemental Weakness and Projectile Weakness to greatly improve damage
-+1 to gems and/or deafening essence of fear 6L short bow for skeleton mage gems
-6 instant skeleton mages
-No multiple copies of To Dust required
-No expensive 6L Pledge of Hands or Queen's Decree/Escape required
-Completed build with a 4 year-old laptop (Asus R505CB Nvidia 740m), so if I can get to lv. 90 on a laptop, you can do better with a decent desktop

Concept:
-Use Dead Reckoning x2 and From Dust to summon 6 skeleton mages
-Take advantage of Occultist's Wicked Ward to:
---use Mind over Matter with energy shield and Eldritch Battery
---reserve all mana for auras and curses
---regenerate energy shield without using a flask (as opposed to Mana MoM where you have to carry a mana flask for emergency refills)
-Reduce costs tremendously by not using a unique 6 linked unique weapon or armor

Weapon:

Estimated costs

6-linked short bow from The Porcupine.

-12c+ total for the divination cards [HSC] [HHC]
-142 to 160 chroms for the socket colors (with/without reduced attributes)
-7c+ to enchant Deafening Essence of Fear [HSC] [HHC]
Advanced

-2 exalts to master craft a +1 to all gems

Body Armor:

Estimated costs

-35c+ to buy a 6S Influence [HSC] [HHC]
-200+ jewellers to 6S it yourself [HSC] [HHC]

Notes

-when buying Victario's Influence, make sure the "increased effect of non-curse auras you cast" is close to 15%, and the "increased area of effect of aura skills" is close to 40% to get the most out of the item.

Miscellaneous:
Estimated costs

-20c+ for two Dead Reckoning jewels [HSC] [HHC]
-1c for a From Dust jewel [HSC] [HHC]
-1 alch+ for a Soul Strike [HSC] [HHC]

Links

Skeletons

Summon skeleton - Minion Damage - Spell Echo - Elemental Focus - Greater Multiple Projectiles - Pierce

Pierce can be replaced with Controlled Destruction because of Projectile Weakness' pierce. This allows you to get even more damage.

Greater Multiple Projectiles can be replaced with Slower Projectiles when fighting tankier map bosses.

Auras

Haste - Anger
Discipline

Socketed in chest to take advantage of the reduced mana reservation and free lv. 30 Generosity.
No links required.
Discipline cannot be socketed in chest since it needs to apply to you.

Curses

Blasphemy - Temporal Chains - Elemental Weakness - Projectile Weakness
Similar to auras.

Utilities

Vaal Haste - Increased Duration - Generosity
Immortal Call - Cast when Damage Taken - Increased Duration - Flesh Offering
Flame Dash - Faster Casting - Desecrate

Vaal Haste for increased skeleton casting.
Immortal Call and Cast when Damage Taken must be lv. 1. Increased Duration and Flesh Offering can be maxed out.
Flame Dash for to get over some ledges / fences. Can be replaced with Blink Arrow - Faster Attacks, but will be less frequently usable.
Desecrate for corpses.

Passive Tree

Ascendancy

Profane Bloom - Wicked Ward - Malediction - Vile Bastion

Profane Bloom first to make mobs take increased damage when cursed.
Wicked Ward when you get Eldritch Battery. Soul Strike and Discipline to make it better.
Malediction when you get 6S Victario's Influence as it will allow you to reserve mana for most of your auras / curses.
Vile Bastion is not really required. You can get the minor nodes that give energy shield instead. That's up to you.

Bandits

Kill all.

Pantheon

Soul of the Brine King - Frost Champion
Soul of Ryslatha

Brine King to avoid stun lock. Capturing the Frost Champion to avoid freeze lock. Make sure you have a freeze immunity flask even if it's a seething flask.
Ryslatha to refill your quicksilver flasks. I have 2 to allow for maximum up-time.

Current Gear

Maps

Examples of maps I've completed with this build

More soon

Notes

-Running an animate guardian is not worth it because of its ranged-based nature. Because you are always moving, you will be out of its range most of the time (assuming you have Dying Breath or Leer Cast on your guardian).

Message me if you have any question, or there's a typo somewhere. Thanks for reading!
Last edited by Dire_ on Sep 1, 2017, 11:11:44 PM
Last bumped on Sep 1, 2017, 9:50:52 PM
Have you tried guardians/shaper with this build?
3 curses and no animate guardian?
"
Inferius90 wrote:
3 curses and no animate guardian?

It's up to you to have an animate guardian. From my experience, mobs already die fast that a guardian would have trouble catching up. You can free up the sockets used for Flame Dash - Faster Casting and the other Vaal Haste to have your animate guardian.

"
jrandom wrote:
Have you tried guardians/shaper with this build?

I haven't yet (I can't play as much as I'd like) but I believe it should be Shaper/Guardians viable.
Last edited by Dire_ on Aug 31, 2017, 1:16:01 AM
Maybe I will try that later. Playing srs atm

Even if guardian fails to boost curses he still can give extra dmg to skeletons will Leer and Dying Breath aura. And 10% mov speed for all with Victario Flight
Last edited by Inferius90 on Aug 31, 2017, 3:30:10 AM
Did you consider using Pledge of Hands?
100% increased mana help a lot for MoM builds and with spell echo we get a 7link.

I just really don't like bows
"
Inferius90 wrote:
Maybe I will try that later. Playing srs atm

Even if guardian fails to boost curses he still can give extra dmg to skeletons will Leer and Dying Breath aura. And 10% mov speed for all with Victario Flight

Oh, for sure. I'll try working a guardian into the build. The socketed gems will have to be shifted but it can work.

Regarding Pledge of Hands, there's 3 main aspects about not using it:
1. a 6L Pledge is really expensive. 400c+ for a 6L would have made the build 10x more expensive.
2. because all our mana would be reserved, that mana stat on PoH would not be as useful as it could be.
3. Soul Strike for that 1s start of energy shield is amazing. If you take damage which is then split into your mana-ES, it could still continue regenerating.

Also, you aren't using bows to attack. It's just there to take advantage of the +1 to gems and essence of fear. I think the only difference is that you can use leap slam with staves, in terms of movement.
Tested Animate Guardian.

It fell short of expectations. You are running most of the time so you are out of Leer Cast and/or Dying Breath's range.
Hello!
So, i'm looking for a potential skele mage build, and yours is, without a doubt, the weirdest one i've seen thus far :D It looks very...experimental. Having never played summonrs before, not sure if i'm more intrigued or put off by that xD.

If you don't mind answering, how're your successes with this build? I see that you've got to 90, up to what kind of maps\mods can you do comfortably?
"
nskLantash wrote:
Hello!
So, i'm looking for a potential skele mage build, and yours is, without a doubt, the weirdest one i've seen thus far :D It looks very...experimental. Having never played summonrs before, not sure if i'm more intrigued or put off by that xD.

If you don't mind answering, how're your successes with this build? I see that you've got to 90, up to what kind of maps\mods can you do comfortably?

Haha, thanks.

Skeleton Mages act like totems so if you've played a projectile totem build before, the build will be easy to pick up. Just think of them as totems that you can summon 6 of at once.

Mapping with this build is surprisingly easy. You can run along the volley of projectiles because with Temporal Chains, you are less likely to get hit. You also can hide behind cover while the skeletons kill everything for you.

So far, every map mod has been doable, even Temp. Chains maps. Aside from the obvious build-stopping mods, like Blood Magic, I've been running maps with -max res, ele weakness, unidentified, etc.

Ele reflect can be annoying since you have to summon skeletons when they die, but is still doable.

Atziri runs are easy, as well. Swapping GMP with Slower Projectile kills Atziri fast, and since they cast on their own, you can focus on dodging instead.

I'm currently at tier 13, hoping for higher tier map drops. Otherwise I can buy some tier 14+ maps to showcase the build.
Last edited by Dire_ on Sep 1, 2017, 9:52:57 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info