Curse on hit question

Hi,

Maybe this has been answered already, but I can't find what I was looking for so here goes.

The curse on hit support gem decreases the duration of the curse with every level of the gem. Why would you level the gem and not keep it at level 1? I can see no reason why you want your curse to be of shorter duration!

Cheers,

SwitchBL8

Last bumped on Aug 17, 2017, 7:56:08 PM
The reduction decreases with level. I have 2, the level 11 is a 30% reduction, the level 16 is a 20% reduction.

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Curse_On_Hit_Support
Last edited by Saevan on Aug 17, 2017, 2:33:17 PM
I still don't get it. At level 1 the duration is 50%, at level 2 the duration is 48%, etc. If the duration at level 1 is 5 seconds (for example) at level 2 the duration will be 4.8 seconds. Why would I want a curse to last shorter? Don't I want the enemies to be cursed for as long as possible?
The modifier grants Reduced Duration, it doesn't set the total Curse Duration to that percentage.

100 second base duration:
100 - 50% = 50 seconds
100 - 48% = 52 seconds -> longer.
The column heading is a bit misleading. Mouse over the column heading or look at the gem description. That is the duration reduction. It starts at a 50% reduction, and declines to 12% reduction at level 20.
Ah, thanks. That explains it. Even when I re-re-re-read the gem's description, I still cannot read your explanation in it. Doesn't matter, I get it now.

Thank you.

SwitchBL8
"
SwitchBL8 wrote:
Even when I re-re-re-read the gem's description, I still cannot read your explanation in it.

Matters to me! So here we are again.

It reduces
the duration
by x%
:P

On level 1, it reduces the duration by 50%, or in other words it subtracts 50% of the base Duration from the final Duration. On level 11, it subtracts 30% of base Duration instead, which is less than 50% of base Duration.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Aug 17, 2017, 2:52:18 PM
"
Saevan wrote:
The column heading is a bit misleading. Mouse over the column heading or look at the gem description. That is the duration reduction. It starts at a 50% reduction, and declines to 12% reduction at level 20.

It makes perfect sense... the higher the level of the gem, the lower the penalty to duration. A level 1 COH gem means your curse will last 50% of the time it would if self cast. At level 20, the curse lasts 88% of the time it would if self cast. This is a significant difference, and benefit in longer fights.
U MAD?
I know how it works now, but it's not clearly stated that it's the penalty that decreases when leveling the gem. It says "reduce curse duration", which I read (obviously I was wrong) that the curse itself has less duration.

English is not my native language, so I guess I just misunderstood.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info