[3.0] MOM RF Scorching Ray Scion (Trick/Inquis) - 450k+ DPS - Cheap League Start - Use RF at lvl 50!

This is a nice build. MOM made it quite easy to sustain RF with the uniques recommended.

Quick question though, How much armor is the minimum to do uber lab safely?
I just got done plowing through story content with any items I found laying around. I do not know if I have the defenses or damage to push through lab early. Do you recommend leveling past 70 first?
Uber can be pretty scary if you don't have over 4.5k life and about 50% physical mitigation from armour without flasks up. You can try it before then, but it will be pretty spooky. Luckily Uber lab isn't necessary for the build to work well. I would recommend being around level 80 before trying it. You can PM me or respond to this thread if you have any other questions.
Thank you for this build; I have used it through level 81, following it very closely, and it delivers as promised. Fantastic job, I am surprised it has not gotten more attention and activity.

Any updates/learning in last few months? I am leveling character Scion__Blue I considering where to spend some money for next upgrade. I can post more links if you have a bit of time to look at my character.

Thanks!
PS I have evolved the GEM setup in a way that seems to work

I do the SR with Eff Sup and Control destruction on the Doryani's Catalyst, I think this takes advantage of the elemental prolif, right?

I run the RF through 6l coat (need to try to improve color mix today - can get expensive);
RF, Elem Focus, Concent Sup, Increased Area, Burn Dam Sup, Item Rarity (The RF with enhancements up is killing everything but bosses, often dont need the SR here)

My main concern is the char moves kinda slow, shield charge only helps a bit, and can't yet handle certain bosses on higher tier/rare+ maps. Other bosses up through t11 are not a problem.
Thanks for trying my build! First off, Scorching Ray does not take advantage of Elemental Proliferation, since Ele Prolif spreads elemental status ailments. The burning debuff from Scorching Ray sadly does not count as status ailments in the same way that you cannot prolif the burning damage from Righteous Fire.

The reasoning behind using a 6 link for Scorching Ray instead of RF is that we use Scorching Ray mostly for single target, where we really need the extra links deal damage to high tier bosses. A four link RF setup is plenty for trash clear on most maps.

If you are looking for a faster clear and want to invest some currency, you can get or craft some Delirium essence gloves and socket RF in there.

The only realistic way to increase your movement speed with this build is run a weapon swap with Brightbeak and use that instead of Doryani's for trash clear then swap back for bosses.

Feel free to PM me or respond on this forum if you have any other questions!
Thanks for the reply.
Wow, I missed Elem Prof not working (seems harder to check something like that from an item rather than gem). I reconfigured the gems back to your core recommended (I should have guessed your setup was better). I also got
faster boots, which helps clearspeed.

I am looking into the gloves idea; I like the concept, but did not see yet in trade. I thought I had all the essences; considering buying and crafting with that one.

How is your experience with faster casting gem with SR; path of building seems to implying it works but not much help? Also, I found leap slam to works better then as shield dash, as it also serves as a jumping skill as seems to reset faster then dash.
Last edited by swalk on Oct 30, 2017, 10:04:31 PM
What movement skill you use is a matter of preference, however every attack movement skill benefits from faster attacks support, which i noticed wasn't in your setup.

Faster casting on SR increases the turn speed and the rate your dot stacks on enemies. I found that using FC over a damage gem made it easier to get full stacks on bosses while remaining mobile, yet was a pretty big loss on potential damage. I decided against using it, but it isn't bad. Use it if you like it's utility more than the extra damage.
Am I right in thinking that The Formless Inferno is a percentage increase to armour? If so, wouldn't Diamond Skin give 15% to both resistances and armor for this build?
Last edited by mudcrabs on Nov 7, 2017, 8:40:37 AM
You are correct. The Formless Inferno increases your armour by your uncapped fire resistance. On your stat sheet, this is the number in parenthesis next to your resistance stat. Say you had 75%(135%) fire resistance while wearing The Formless Inferno, you would gain 135% global increased armour (global means it affects overall total stats and not just the item).
Why cast speed instead of elemental damage in the shadow tree? Is scorching ray turn speed really that important in the end-game?

Additionally, why Elemental Focus instead of Entropy? Will the 10% chance to avoid elemental ailments be more important by then?
Last edited by mudcrabs on Nov 8, 2017, 1:53:24 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info