Rose's Hybrid Stormcaller (3.0)

Greetings, Exiles!

"You made *another* hybrid??"

More than one, actually! They will come eventually.

This is an Inquisitor Crit Storm Caller that I made before 3.0 came out. It was supposed to be a Ball Lightning build with Life Gained on Spell Hit. It failed. I turned it into Storm Call and never went back. This build has been very successful. Just this morning I recorded for it, which included a deathless Core Malachai run if that tells you anything.

YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skO68Wy9jEw

Background, questions, answers
Spoiler
"Did 3.0 nerf your build?" No, actually. I saw minor improvements to the build as far as talent changes go. Considering this build doesn't rely on top end (800+) ES chests, ES% on rings, or other things like that, the nerfs to ES bases had little effect on me. In fact, everyone started selling their 6L ES chests so cheap right after the patch hit that I UPGRADED thanks to 3.0! Now is the best time to try this build.

"How much health does this hybrid have?" I currently have 5k HP and 7.4k ES.

"What can this build do?" Solo Apex low level (great for lv farming till 85), 2 man carry Uber Izaro easily, solo T15 Core Malachai deathless (assuming there's no Temp Chains... don't even try it), and run Guardians/Shaper/Uber Atziri safely if you have aura support (realistically, you can probably do shaper solo but I personally don't risk that).

"Is this build expensive?" Based on market prices right now, you can build from scratch getting gear as good as mine for about 6ex. That includes a 6L.

"What's great about this build?" PRETTY COLORS! Good clear speed (the AoE is great). Safe, defensive, hard to kill if you're using your abilities and locating yourself properly. Skilled players who know how to play spellcasters strategically will find this build excellent in a number of ways. There's a lot of interesting things you can do with Storm Call, such as prepping an area and luring enemies into range. With good timing, you can get all your damage out without taking a hit. A great example of this would be in Core, where you can load up an area with Storm Calls and then dash out just before Malachai does his explosive teleport. Can do almost everything solo and can go even further with support. A LOT of fun to play imo. Reflect isn't much of a problem.

"What are the drawbacks of this build?" Temp Chains is this build's Kryptonite. Don't even try maps with hard bosses with that curse rolled. Also, Enfeeble makes high tier boss fights a bitch (ie Malachai). The build cannot do "no regen" mods on maps (it can do less recovery though, it can also do anti curse, but not as easily). The worst thing about this build, actually, is that it cannot quickly get out burst damage. If you're in a fight where you simply HAVE to move or you die,
you'll find yourself not able to do much damage. For example, if you do Uber Atziri, you'll need to Shield Charge so much to avoid damage you won't be able to get the ball rolling. This is mostly a matter of skill. The better you are at location and control, the less of an issue this is.

Offense and Defense mechanics
Spoiler

Offensively, the build uses Assassin's Mark (applied on hit with Orb of Storms), Rallying Cry, potions, and the Inquisitor passives to boost damage output.

Defensively, the build uses procced Immo Call for physical immunity to prevent getting bursted down and Molten Shell to give free ES leech. Speaking of ES leech, the build uses Warlord's Mark (on hit) + Ghost Reaver to gain ES back. It also gains 6% ES regen per second while standing on Consecrated Ground (which is like... all the time). The build also gains Fortify thanks to Shield Charge, which is best used as a mobility option to dodge big hits.

Gear:
Spoiler

Weapons
Spoiler

Armor
Spoiler

Accessories
Spoiler

Flasks
Spoiler

Talent tree: poeurl.com/bsFF

Pantheon: Brine King, Yugul
Last edited by RoseAndThorn on Aug 15, 2017, 8:48:12 PM
Last bumped on Nov 12, 2017, 1:38:13 AM
How did you go about the leveling phases? What gems/leveling gear did you use to achieve reaching maps?
"
xxWarriorsxx wrote:
How did you go about the leveling phases? What gems/leveling gear did you use to achieve reaching maps?

Leveling this build is a standard spellcaster leveling template. It's no different than cheesing any other spellcaster early game. You can actually use Stormcall itself to level once available, which is quite nice because it has great area coverage which translates to faster EXP gains from more easy kills. It's arguable just as good, possibly better, than leveling with Firestorm. Just get whatever gear you can that has life/resists and use mana potions until you have the ascendency that gives you that sweet infinite mana.

As far as specific uniques you can cheese early game with, start with a Thousand Ribbons robe at lv 1, of course, and switch to Tabula Rasa whenever you can get enough supports to start a 5L. Dual wield Axion Perpetuum's from level 10 till lv 75, when you can pick up the Doryani's catalyst (you can swap out the Axions earlier if you have something better). Duel Le Heup of All rings and an Astramentis amulet are decent early on as well.
Last edited by RoseAndThorn on Aug 22, 2017, 2:20:11 PM
I like your build. I am currently following Life + Dodge build but I don't want to travel all the way to Shadow's area to grab dodge nodes and the dodge chance wouldn't be optimal for templar compared to shadow and ranger. Do you think this work still works if I do not pick Santify and Pious Path. I don't want to lose Instruments and Angury. The 6% MANA and ES regen and 40% damage boots look good for this build. I am just wondering if it's worth losing cast speed and damage from the 2 notable passive points.

"
thinhnham2806 wrote:
Do you think this work still works if I do not pick Santify and Pious Path. I don't want to lose Instruments and Angury. The 6% MANA and ES regen and 40% damage boots look good for this build. I am just wondering if it's worth losing cast speed and damage from the 2 notable passive points.

The build originally had Instruments of Virtue, back when I was still testing things and crafting the end result. Instruments is really good, but Pious Path is simply better. Instruments does give you more damage, but you have to deal with mana problems and you have less defense, so that's why Pious Path is needed. If the build wasn't crit, you could drop the Inevitable Judgement line and pick up Instruments and Augury of Penitence. Thing is though, crit on templar is simply the best way to scale ele dmg. Well, I shouldn't say "best", but it is the most convenient. You COULD technically go for Ele Overload and push for Lightning Penetration as an alternative way to do the build, but that would involve different weapons, rings, and passives. After my own testing, what I put in the guide seems to be the all-round best way to go, and that was after testing it with Ele Overload.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info