GOTTA GO FAST™ Frostblades Raider [ EZ 3.0 Starter | 100k dps + | Sonic Approved ]

Foreword

Preview of my next build

If you have any further questions about the build, feel free to message me in game.
You can also try catching me live at my stream.

I've elected to start this league playing frostblades, as this seemed like an opportune patch to roll a new melee character. This build performs quite well at almost any gear level, making it a great league starter build. It scales well into late game as well, being able to clear any game content with minimal investment (<1 Exalt). With the massive 3.0 boss health buffs, this build's single target can feel a little lackluster at the start of map content, but it picks up very quickly.

My particular flavor of the build itemizes towards evasion and high damage. I am not trying to reinvent the wheel, I'm simply presenting a baseline for other players to go off. This build can be run in hardcore, albeit with adjustments to the passive tree.

None of the unique items presented in this build are by any means necessary, they are simply my choices for this incarnation of the build.

Passive Trees
Softcore Tree

Path of Building

GGG Skill Tree

*note that Phase Acrobatics can be dropped for nodes of the player's choice

Hardcore Tree

Path of Building

GGG Skill Tree

Item Choices & Gear

Bread & Butter of this build, allowing us to scale damage with evasion and GO FAST. These can easily be replaced with good rare thrusting swords (that bonus range FeelsGoodMan). If you look though, this tree doesn't commit to any weapon class so the choices are limitless here. Go for high PDPS and maybe some cold damage.

Lot's of evasion which means MORE SPEED.

Evasion = good. This item is a recent choice, being able to run Grace and Hatred is very strong. A helm with strong evasion and life is also good (Starkonja's perhaps?).

Fill out resists and life here, and go for high evasion if possible. 20% movement speed on boots MINIMUM if you want to GO FAST. Accuracy and added phys/added cold are also good on gloves.

Look to fill out more resists and stat requirements on jewelry. Life, added phys, elemental damage, accuracy, etc. are all good to have. Try not to crap out your belt's elemental damage roll like me, I need to get my Tora to level 7 [-_-]. Rustic sash is good, but going for pure defense on your belt is always a strong choice.

A good Stibnite and Jade flask are mandatory, as they increase our SPEED, survivability, and damage. Without Alpha's Howl, a freeze removal flask is needed, otherwise run staunching. Both seething divine. The other flask slots are up to you: Taste of Hate is BIS, with Wise Oak and Atziri's Promise serving as good alternatives.

This should go without saying, but you should be running two Fight for Survival jewels.

Gem Configuration & Auras
5 Link
Frost Blades->Multistrike->Elemental Damage With Attacks->Ice Bite->Cold Penetration

6 Link
Frost Blades->Multistrike->Elemental Damage With Attacks->Ice Bite->Cold Penetration->Added Cold Damage

Auras
Without Alpha's Howl, you will have a choice of Herald of Ice with either Grace or Hatred.

With howl, you should run Grace and Hatred, as not only will Grace eventually outscale Herald of Ice, but it also increased our defense and FUCKING MOVESPEED. YEAH.

Other Gems
Summon Ice Golem is my golem of choice, but just about every golem is decent. Except maybe stone, we have enough regen at this point.

Whirling Blades->Faster Attacks->Blood Magic->Fortify is always strong, and is my movement skill of choice. You can also use Leap Slam if running swords.

Frost Bomb is good for bossing, and you can link it to Curse on Hit with Frostbite if you have the right colors.

The remaining gem choices I leave up to you. CWDT setup is still decent.

Deal with The Bandits

As far as I see you have two choices here, Kraityn or Passive Skill Points.

Kraityn feels nice when leveling, while Passive Skill Points are arguably more powerful late game. It is entirely feasible to take Kraityn to start and spec into Passive Skill Points later.

I would not recommend taking Alira as we are not a crit build, but Oak is a viable option, especially for hardcore characters.

Stat Tooltips
*Screenshots taken with 7 frenzy charges and flasks running (Evasion and Atziri's Promise).

Mapping
This build can easily clear into the endgame (T15s and Shaper's Realm) and I've been playing it there myself. Start off with fast layout maps (Desert, Acid Lakes, Racecourse, Shore, etc.) and work into harder maps when you're more geared.
The only map mod that gives this build real trouble is reflect. Though as we are non crit, Hatred/Herald of Ice can be swapped for Purity of Ice and you can run a Sapphire Flask. This in addition to the Yugul Pantheon bonus makes reflect maps manageable, if a bit slow.

Too. Much. Clutter.
Last edited by lazerpickle on Aug 25, 2017, 3:21:34 AM
Last bumped on Aug 22, 2017, 8:30:33 AM
Updated with some new information and tooltip screenshots. Videos this weekend?
Too. Much. Clutter.
Last edited by lazerpickle on Aug 15, 2017, 2:41:43 AM
one thing i think u should add is a fight for your survival jewel.other then that looks good!
Last edited by zeroagainst on Aug 15, 2017, 2:59:56 AM
I'm interested in this build, can you give some leveling tips?
"
zeroagainst wrote:
one thing i think u should add is a fight for your survival jewel.other then that looks good!

Jewels are not importing for some reason, will fix. I am running 2x fight for survival.
Too. Much. Clutter.
"
yj5556 wrote:
I'm interested in this build, can you give some leveling tips?

You can start leveling with frostblades almost immediately, though sunder will serve you better until you level up a bit. 2x aurumvorax will carry all your resists until endgame. Carnage heart is decent for leveling too. Get evasion when possible. Life nodes early.
Too. Much. Clutter.
Hello, isn't elemental focus better than ice bite or added cold?
When you say 2x aurumvorax will carry your resists until endgame, wont I struggle for damage soon? Should I be swapping to some other weapon after a certain level or what?

"
sivertry wrote:
Hello, isn't elemental focus better than ice bite or added cold?

If you're ok with sacrificing the ability to freeze and chill enemies, yes you could run Elemental Focus over Ice Bite.

"
oshy89 wrote:
When you say 2x aurumvorax will carry your resists until endgame, wont I struggle for damage soon? Should I be swapping to some other weapon after a certain level or what?

The damage from vorax should be sufficient for a long time, into act two, but your goal is to transition to a decent rare with high PDPS. Ewar's, Daresso's Passion, and Chitus' Needle are all decent options for cheap leveling uniques.
Too. Much. Clutter.
Last edited by lazerpickle on Aug 16, 2017, 3:30:09 AM
These build posts are basically worthless without a stream vod or video. Work on that before making a build guide IMO. Why should anyone invest time and currency in a build that they can't even see how it actually plays? Maybe your definition of "sonic" speed is total garbage for someone else. We don't know.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info