[3.0] The Crimson Cleave Juggernaut (from Zero to white maps)

Hi.

The goal of this build is to start a league with crappy gear and do UberLabs, some not-too-high maps and have some fun slashing things open.

This post will (hopefully) form a detailed guide and the second post is for detailed playthrough for Solo Self Found form zero.

Cleave skill is veery old. It fell short with the likes of Lacerate, Earthquake and Sunder around.
But there are some pros to it
1) Overwhelming Odds jewel to free support gem slot,
2) okayish base damage for bleed,
3) 2-h Axe for big base damage
4) and no Attack Speed penalties to reach 8 stacks Bleeds with Crimson Dance and slow 2h.
So there might be a sweet spot for it.

Here is my planned tree and character pastebin for Path of Building.

Skills and supports
Spoiler
Main skill
(R-R-R-R-G, socketed into 2-h Axe)
- Cleave
- Chance to Bleed
- Brutality
- Melee Physical Damage
- Deadly Aliments

Secondary skill
(R-G-R-R, socketed into Helmet)
- Ancestral Protector
- Faster Attacks
- Maim
- Bloodlust

Movement
(R-G-R-R, socketed into Gloves)
- Leap Slam
- Frenzy
- Faster Attacks
- Maim

Utility
(R-R-R-R, socketed into Gloves)
- Enduring Cry
- Blood Rage
- Summon Stone Golem
- Increased Duration

Ascendancy
Spoiler
Ascendancy of choice is Juggernaut for combination of
- strong Physical Damage reduction
- easy Endurance Charge management
- universal Damage that helps both hits and bleeds.
Unflinching => Unrelenting => Unyielding => Unbreakale

Skill Tree progression
Spoiler

Life and Armor => Warrior's Blood => Heart of the Warrior => Born to Fight

Resolute Technique => Blood Magic => Mortal Conviction

Cleaving => Red Storm => Crimson Dance

Golem's Blood => Dirty Techniques => Jewel slot near Golem's Blood

Rampart => Destroyer => Master of the Arena => Bravery => Art of the Gladiator

Barbarism + small node behind it => Stamina => Juggernaut => Bloodletting

Slaughter => Endurance => Devotion + small node behind it

Combat Stamina => Constitution => Butchery => Path of the Warrior

The Bandits
Spoiler
Our bandit of choice will be Oak because all three bonuses (listed below) fit the character pretty well
1% of Life Regenerated per second
2% additional Physical Damage Reduction
20% increased Physical Damage

My gear will be focused on
Life,
resists,
Flat Physical damage,
Bleeding damage and duration

If you have any question or suggestion or just want to discuss something about this build - I will try to help as good as I can.
Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.
Last edited by Sarganis87 on Aug 29, 2017, 1:51:20 AM
Last bumped on Sep 5, 2017, 2:04:17 PM
Current gear and progress
Spoiler

I am in white maps, building up map pool, gear and Trials for endgame Labyrinth.

Playthrough:
Spoiler

Act One
Spoiler

Look for swords and axes (pair of 1-h or one 2-h) on your way to Tidal Island.
Identify all Magic and Rare boots and check vendors until you get a pair with Increased Movement Speed.

Enemy at the gate - take Ground Slam
Buy Cleave and Chance to Bleed in town
Mercy Mission - take Quicksilver Flask
Break some Eggs - take Ancestral Protector
Caged Brute (before) - take whatever
Find Ascendancy Trial in Prison Level 1
Caged Brute (after) - take Leap Slam
Find waypoint in The Ship Graveyard, then descent into and find Allflame there
Find Captain Fairgraves and kill him
Proceed to Merveil's Caverns
Find Merveil in the end and kill her
Proceed to Act 2
Act Two
Spoiler

Look for Jade Amulet or any item with 20+ Dexterity. You'll need it for some gems.
You can go east or west, whatever you like.

East:
The Great White Beast - take Quicksilver Flask
Deal with the Bandits - kill Kraytin
Find Ascendancy Trial in Crypt Level 1
Through Sacred Ground - take Survival Skills
Find Ascendancy Trial in Chamber of Sins Level 2
Intruders in Black - take Enduring Cry

West:
Do not turn north in The Riverways until you do everything in western side.
Sharp and Cruel - take Faster Attacks and link it to Leap Slam if you can
Deal with the Bandits - kill Alira
Now go north from The Riverways' waypoint
Deal with the Bandits - ally with Oak
Proceed to Northern Forest through Vaal Ruins, then to Vaal Pyramid through The Caverns
Ascend the Pyramid and kill Vaal Oversoul
Proceed to Act 3
Act Three
Spoiler
Kill all blackguards, speak with Clarissa and proceed to Sarn Encampment
Find Ascendancy Trial and defeat Piety in Crematorium
Lost in Love - reward does not matter
Find all three busts in Sewers
Take Decanter Spiritus from Ornate Chest if you find it
Find Ascendancy Trial in The Catacombs
In The Battlegrounds find waypoint and Golden Chest, take Ribbon Spool from it
In The Docks find waypoint and the Supply Container, take Thaumetic Sulphite from it
The Ribbon Spool - take Jade Amulet
Sever the Right Hand - reward does not matter
After killing Piety, proceed to Imperial Gardens, grab a waypoint and find The Hedge Maze
Find Chitus' Plum and Trial of Ascendancy in The Hedge Maze
If you don't have Decanter Spiritus, return to The Marketplace and find it in Ornate Chest
A Swig of Hope - take either Coral or Golden ring
Portal to The Imperial Gardens and head west to The Library
Find the waypoint, take quest form Siosa and find a Loose Candle to enter The Archives
A Fixture of Fate - take Increased Duration

About this time you should be around level 33 or at halfway through 32.
Time to complete Normal Labyrinth.
Make sure to have at least 2 Giant Life Flasks or better before going in and Enduring Cry to keep Endurance Charges during Izaro fights.
Upon completion, ascend to Juggernaut and take Unflinching

Once Normal Labyrinth is done, portal to The Imperial Gardens and head east to The Scepter of God
Ascend the tower and kill Dominus, High Templar and his pals on the very top of it.
Then proceed to Act 4
Act Four
Spoiler
Pass through The Aqueduct into Highgate
Stairs down to Dried Lake, find Voll, Emperor of Purity and take Deshret's Banner from his carcass
Breaking the Seal - take Stone Golem
Find Deshret's Spirit in The Mines Level 2 and set it free
Proceed to waypoint in The Crystal Veins and talk to Diala
You can go for Kaom or Daresso, whatever you like.
Both paths are pretty straightforward, just go through and kill anything on the way.
After both kings of the past are dealt with, return to Diala
The King of Fury, The King of Desire - take Brutality
Proceed to The Harvest through Belly of the Beast, speak with Piety and take waypoint
TO make your way to Act Four boss you need to find three organs kept by three other bosses
There is one boss on east side and two in west, the order does not matter, but you need to complete the area without letting location to reset
Otherwise, you'll have to fight through the Godless Three again regardless of organs you delivered to Piety
Kill Malachai, the Nightmare, then return to town and proceed to The Ascent
Find the portal, pull the lever and proceed to Act 5
Act Five
Spoiler
Make you way to Ocerseer's Tower
Return to Oriath - take the ring with resistances you need
Find Experimental Supplies in Control Blocks and take Miasmer from it
Find and kill Justicar Castius and rip Eyes of Zeal from his body, then proceed to Oriath Square and take waypoint
The Key to Freedom - take Silver Flask
Enter Templar Courts through Oriath Square
Proceed to Chamber of Innocence through Templar Courts and take waypoint
Defeat High Templar Avarius/The Innocence
Death to Purity - take Overwhelming Odds
Proceed to Ruined Square through The Torched Courts
Find waypoint, then in The Ossuary and find Sign of Purity there, then portal back to The Ruined Square
Find and kill Utula, Stone and Steel
Find The Reliquary and take waypoint there
Find three Karui relics and portal to town
The King's Feast - reward does not matter
Portal back to The Reliquary, then proceed to The Cathedral Rooftop through The Ruined Square
Find Cathedral Apex and place Sign of Innocence into Cradle of Purity
Fight Kitava, then proceed to Act 6
Act Six
Spoiler
Go to Twilight Strand and destroy zombies there
Go to THe Coast and find waypoint
Find Storage Chest in Tidal Island and take Bestel's Manuscript form it and portal to town
Bestel's Epic - I prefer Turquoise Amulet to cover stats
Portal back to The Coast and proceed to The Mud Flats
Find and kill Disgraced Queen and take Eye of Conquest from her dead body, then find Nessa nearby
Proceed to Tukohama's Keep through The Karui Fortress and kill Tukohama, Father of War
Then go to THe Ridge and take waypoint
Proceed to The Prison, take waypoint and find Trial of Ascendancy
Find Shavronne's tower, ascend it and party with old friends at Prison Rooftop
Proceed to Prisoner's Gate, then find Valley of the Fire Drinker and stomp Abberath, the Cloven there
Portal to town, waypoint to Prisoner's Gate and proceed to The Western Forest
Find waypoint in The Western Forest and proceed to The Riverways
Find waypoint in The Riverways, then proceed to Wetlands
Find Breeding The Spawning Ground, smash some bugs there and portal to town
Waypoint back to The Riverways and proceed to The Southern Forest
Find waypoint in The Southern Forest and go down The Cavern of Anger and take The Black Flag
Then proceed to The Beacon and take a waypoint
Haul the fuel, ignite the fire and burn The Black Flag in it, then sail to The Brine King Reef and grab a waypoint
Find The Brine King's Throne and make yourself a divine crab cake
Proceed to Act 7
Act Seven
Spoiler
Find The Dirty Chest in Broken Bridge and take Silver Locket from it, then proceed to The Crossroad's Waypoint
Head East-South to the Fellshrine Ruins
Find entrance to Crypt, take waypoint there
Then find Trial of Ascendancy and sarcophagus, dive in and take Maligaro's Map from chest
Portal to town, waypoint to The Crossroads and head Northwest to The Chamber of Sins
Find Map Device and use it to enter Maligaro's Sanctum
Find Maligaro's Workshop and do some bloodpaint lessons with Maligaro, the Artist
Take Black Venow afterwards, portal out and talk to Silk
Proceed by stairs down to level 2, find Trial of Ascendance, then move to secret passage to The Den and take waypoint there
Proceed to Ashen Field, take waypoint, find Fortress Encampment and get revenge for countless spits
Transport yourself to Northern Forest, take waypoint and find Death Thicket
Collect 7 Fireflies , find Lair of Despair and finish Gruthkul there
Portal to town, waypoint to Northern Forest, find Azmeri Shrine and spit on it
Then proceed to The Causeway, find waypoint and Kishara's Chest and take Kishara's Lockbox from it and enter Vaal City
Find Yeena, take waypoint and go down The Temple of Decay to Arakaali's Web
Participate in laser show, then proceed to Act 8
Act Eight
Spoiler

Traverse through The Ramparts up the wall, then to the Sarn Encampment

Time to complete Cruel Labyrinth.
Keep Endurance Charges up and you should do fine, probably even better than Normal Labyrinth
Take Unrelenting

Go down The Toxic Conduits, then Doedre's Cesspool and find The Cauldron there
Deal with Doedre, leave her lair and take waypoint
From here you can go East or West as you desire

East
Find Sealed Casket in The Quay and take Ankh of Eternity from it
Find Clarissa in The Arena, help her with Tolman then proceed to The Grain Gate and take waypoint
Find and kill Gemling Legionnaires and proceed to The Imperial Fields
Find waypoint and proceed to The Solaris Temple Level 1
Find waypoint there, go down to Level 2 and find The Dawn in portal
Kill him, take Sun Orb and proceed to The Solaris Concourse
Find waypoint in The Solaris Concourse, portal to The Toxic Conduits and head west to The Bath House through The Grand Promenade
Take waypoint, deal with Hector Titucius, take Wings of Vastiri from his tomb, find Trial of Ascendancy and move on to The High Gardens
Find Pools of Terror there and kill Yugul, then portal to town
Return to The Bath House and proceed to Lunaris Concourse and take waypoint there
Enter Lunaris Temple Level 1, find waypoint and go downstairs
Find portal, kill The Dusk and take Moon orb, then portal to town
Access Harbout Bridge through Solaris or Lunaris Concourse
Insert the orbs and entertain ladies 'till they fall sensless
The proceed to Act 9
Act Nine
Spoiler
Enter Highgate through the Blood Aqueduct
The go to The Vastiri Desert through The Descent
Find The Storm Cache, clean mummies and take The Storm Blade, then proceed to The Foorhills
Find portal, find and kill Boulderback, take Calendar of Fortune then proceed to The Boiling Lake
Find The Basilisk, kill it, take Basilisk Acid, portal to town, then to The Foothills and proceed to The Tunnel
Find a waypoint and proceed to The Quarry
Find a waypoint, find and kill Garukhan at the Arena and proceed to The Refinery
Find Thartan Powder inside Theurgic Precipitate Machine and portal to town
Portal to The Quarry, allow Sin to burn s hole and proceed to The Rotten Core through The Belly of the Beast
Find The Black Heart and speak with Sin, then defeat old friends once again and jump into The Black Heart
Cleanse the Depraved Trinity and proceed to Act 10
Act Ten
Spoiler
Climb The Cathedral Rooftop, find The Cathedral Apex and save Brannon
Proceed to The Ravaged Square and find waypoint there, then enter The Reliquary
Find The Pearl Case and take The Teardrop, then portal to town
Waypoint to The Ruined Square and enter The Ossuary and descent to Bone Pits
Find Templar Chest and take Elixir of Allure from it
Find Trial of Ascendancy, then portal to town
Return to The Ravaged Square and proceed to The Desecrated Chamber through The Torched Courts
Find Sanctum of Innocence, dismantle Avarius, take the Staff of Purity and portal to town
Waypoint to The Ravaged Square and meet Innocence, the proceed to The Feeding Trough thorough The Canals and find the brothers there
Finally, destroy Kitava and proceed to Epilogue

Then complete Merciless Labyrinth.
Take Unyielding

Talk to Zana, then talk to her again in Templar Laboratory, take a map and complete it.

Deaths log
Spoiler
Innocence got me with bullet hell. I jumped out instead of in the circle

Tukohama's Vanguards got me with their totems in the beginning of Act 6.
37% fire res is kinda low...

Abberath buried me under his meteor storms.
37% fire res is really low

Kitava in Act 10 go me with telegraphed X slam.
My bad.

First map (Desert), first strongbox (3 rares in very tight corner), stunlock.
I guess Hardcore players would've taken Unbreakable before Unyielding

Sallazang with Poison on Hit map mod. It was not very smart to facetank him with -60% Chaos Res.

White mobs (shame) in Strand map with ele weakness and damage mods. It was not very smart to collect items and check inventory while pack of archers was shooting me.
Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.
Last edited by Sarganis87 on Sep 16, 2017, 6:41:24 AM
You should really get the Bloodletting node. Those 3 points together give 115% extra bleed damage and 40% extra attack damage against bleeding enemies. That is a lot of extra damage.

And I would personally move the 4 bottom points in the large Axe wheel (Last node is slaughter) to the small axe node at the duelist area, taking the left route to the notable.. The large Axe wheel nodes have a large amount of AS, which you really don't want to much of. The duelist one gives you slightly more ailment damage, and some attack leech.

Or you can put those 4 points in the 2h-cluster between the marauder and templar. It has some good damage nodes, and the notable has 30% increased ailment damage with some damage and AS.

You should put your Ancestral Protector skill in your chest as well, so you can get more then 4 links on it. It's an amazing single target skill, with the bloodlust support, might as well get the most out of it.

I don't think blood magic is worth it as well. Vulnerability curse is a massive damage increase for bleeds, and i would personally just run a blashmeny + vulnerability set-up. You could then run another aura like arctic armour or Determination as well. You could just manually cast the curse for bosses, but that's up to you.

Lastly i don't know if cleave is the best skill for a bleed build. It's base aoe range isn't very high, and you can't really run an increased area support with it, without lowering your bleed damage by quit a lot. You could maybe just run the increased area support for trash and switch to a different one for bosses, like a lot of builds do.

Or you could switch to sunder. It has a much larger base aoe range then cleave, and higher base damage (so larger bleeds). You just need to link fortify support to your leap slam, and it will most likely provide more damage then cleave.

Last edited by Tortunga on Aug 4, 2017, 11:27:02 AM
"
Tortunga wrote:
You should really get the Bloodletting node. Those 3 points together give 115% extra bleed damage and 40% extra attack damage against bleeding enemies. That is a lot of extra damage.

Yeah, that's the elephant in the room.
Definitely the late game variant should take this.
Thank you, updated pastebin link for my character.

"
Tortunga wrote:
And I would personally move the 4 bottom points in the large Axe wheel (Last node is slaughter) to the small axe node at the duelist area, taking the left route to the notable.. The large Axe wheel nodes have a large amount of AS, which you really don't want to much of. The duelist one gives you slightly more ailment damage, and some attack leech.

Or you can put those 4 points in the 2h-cluster between the marauder and templar. It has some good damage nodes, and the notable has 30% increased ailment damage with some damage and AS.

Blood Rage takes good care of Leech, so Splitting Strikes cluster is not very appealing...

The Bleed's duration is 6 seconds, the limit is 8 stacks, so some Attack Speed is actually needed.
Now, if I ever make it Guardians and Shaper, the situation becomes quite funny. Those bastards bleed for 50% less duration (or just 3 seconds) so we need approximately 2.67 hits per second - and that's quite some attack speed!

I think with weapon faster than Kaom's Primacy some Attack Speed can be sacrificed in favor of more hit/aliment damage.

Onslaught provides movement speed and should help with general mapping, that's mainly why I've chosen Slaughter over other variants you mentioned.

"
Tortunga wrote:
You should put your Ancestral Protector skill in your chest as well, so you can get more then 4 links on it. It's an amazing single target skill, with the bloodlust support, might as well get the most out of it.
I dream to drop Kaom's Heart in SSF. And first 5-6 link is to pimp the main skill. But if I'd ever have second 5-6 link - then Melee Physical Damage and Ruthless come in.

"
Tortunga wrote:
I don't think blood magic is worth it as well. Vulnerability curse is a massive damage increase for bleeds, and i would personally just run a blashmeny + vulnerability set-up. You could then run another aura like arctic armour or Determination as well. You could just manually cast the curse for bosses, but that's up to you.

It requires too much Int on gear and Mana Leech on gear or tree.
Since this will the first char, I don't want to complicate that.
Currenly, with lvl 11 Blood Rage I only need 30 Dex and 26 Int (basically just two rolls and one can be found on amulet bases) from gear to run all my skills and supports (even corrupted lvl 21 Faster Attacks).

Besides, Witchfire Brew does exactly that in lategame (if I'll ever find it).

"
Tortunga wrote:
Lastly i don't know if cleave is the best skill for a bleed build. It's base aoe range isn't very high, and you can't really run an increased area support with it, without lowering your bleed damage by quit a lot. You could maybe just run the increased area support for trash and switch to a different one for bosses, like a lot of builds do.

Well, once again AoE gems need lots of Int.
Also, Overwhelming Odds gives some AoE.
But yeah, I have this concern in the back of my head.

"
Tortunga wrote:
Or you could switch to sunder. It has a much larger base aoe range then cleave, and higher base damage (so larger bleeds). You just need to link fortify support to your leap slam, and it will most likely provide more damage then cleave.

I do not think it is possible to reliably reach 8 stacks of Bleed with slow attack + slow weapon when you need to dodge some nasty boss hits.
Cleave is (or at least seems to be) quite balanced here with Overwhelming Odds providing convenient main-skill Fortify at a cost of one jewel slot (which is not much at all until later in the league when you have good jewels).
Last edited by Sarganis87 on Aug 5, 2017, 2:13:11 AM
Thank you for this guide!

I will try this build!
Where do you go after Crimson Dance?

Atm I feel like I need dex for gems but it's a long way.
"
riseandshine wrote:
Thank you for this guide!

I will try this build!
Glad to hear.
It is not near finished or tested though so take it if you just like the idea.

"
riseandshine wrote:
Where do you go after Crimson Dance?
I updated leveling a little.
Golem's Blood => Dirty Techniques => Jewel slot near Golem's Blood

Bloodletting => Rampart => Destroyer => Master of the Arena => Bravery => Art of the Gladiator

Stamina => Barbarism + small node behind it => Juggernaut

"
riseandshine wrote:
Atm I feel like I need dex for gems but it's a long way.
True, I keep a Jade Amulet on.
Finished build would need about 30 Dex at level 70 or so and 30 Int after you'll have 5-link on gear so it will not be hard in the end.
Last edited by Sarganis87 on Aug 6, 2017, 12:24:42 PM
The dirty technique wheel doesn't do much for you. You are using brutality in your cleave set-up which has the 'deal no chaos/elemental damage' part to it, so poison doesn't do anything as it deals chaos damage. 8 points for just 65% bleed damage and 30% change to bleed is a real waste, as you can get much better damage stats with those 8 points;

For example 2 points in the large bleed wheel to and 4 points in the 2h nodes next to the jewel slot leading to the scion health area, would give you;

30% bleed change
64% bleed damage
50% hit damage
4% attack speed.

Same amount of bleed % and damage, with a good amount of extra hit damage for 2 points less. You lose 40 dexterity though, but if you really needed dexterity just pick one a 30 stat node one.

I would drop the tireless nodes as well, and just fill out the Scion health wheel. You lose 5% health, but gain 2 points to spend somewhere ells. You would normally only take that health wheel when you filled out most other health options around the marauder/Templar area.

I would pick up the Soul of steel armour wheel in the later stages of the game. The flat 4% physical damage reduction it gives stacks nicely with your 7 endurance charges. I wouldn't pick it up before you got 7 endurance charges though.

And i would properly pick up the Combat Stamina wheel, taking the life regen node. Life regen is your main health recovery system it seems, and for 3 points you get a nice 1.8% of it (with some extra
armour and 5% health).

Lastly some thing to think about; I played some dualist dual wield cleave/bleed build till act 10 on ssf hc. As The damage of a single bleed is based on the damage of both the weapons, the damage of a single bleed is roughly the same as a 2h version, as dual wield gets 120% of cleaves base damage (60% of each weapon).

As I was using swords as well I could use whirling blades, and the build felt pretty good. I would just dash from pack to pack, hitting every pack with 1 cleave and move on, while the bleed and bleed explosions would finish them off (I went gladiator ascendancy and had 100% bleed change). While the aoe wasn't amazing my leveling speed wasn't bad as i was quit mobile, and had pretty good boss damage as the bleed + ancestral totem would do most of the work while i would just dodge their attacks. To bad I died at the start of act 10, the mobs in there really hurt compared to the previous acts, so I can't provide you how it does in mapping.

Just something to consider, as dual wield does just a thingy bit lower damage per hit then a 2h, but provides better movement options (Whirling blades is so much better then leap) and attacks a lot faster (you get 15% free attack speed).

A small note if you are trying it in PoB, double the bleed dps. PoB base it's bleed damage from the Mh or OH damage, and not from the combination of both.
Last edited by Tortunga on Aug 9, 2017, 5:56:39 AM
Great straight-forward build, I'm working through it now. I am using a 2H sword instead of an axe for taste and going to spec into some leech and replace blood magic with blasphemy/vulnerability which I think will be great in this build. Love being nigh invincible in the lower acts :)

One question though... why not use multistrike to apply the 8 bleeds super fast?
Last edited by Craftyman on Aug 13, 2017, 2:33:24 PM
"
Craftyman wrote:
One question though... why not use multistrike to apply the 8 bleeds super fast?
Staying too long will kill you despite all tankiness this build has.
As you can see from deaths log, most of fails happen in situations where it is paramount to react quickly. Multistrike will make matters worse.
Last edited by Sarganis87 on Aug 13, 2017, 3:52:29 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info