Make the labyrinth accessible by player level and remove trials of ascendancy

Disclaimer: I'm actually not fully up to date about the plans for ascendancy trials for 3.0.

Personally, I really dislike having to do more trials just to access other trials, which are in general a pretty frustrating experience. I know many people feel this way. The current system is pretty offensive psychologically IMHO.

Wouldn't an elegant solution be that the four labyrinths get unlocked by player level?

For example: 'normal' trial get unlocked at player level 30, 'cruel' at 50, 'merciless' at 70 and 'uber' at level 90.

In this way, it would still take a real achievement (getting to level 90, or even a bit above that) to access the labyrinth.
Last bumped on Jul 4, 2017, 1:51:51 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
shaokim wrote:
Disclaimer: I'm actually not fully up to date about the plans for ascendancy trials for 3.0.

Personally, I really dislike having to do more trials just to access other trials, which are in general a pretty frustrating experience. I know many people feel this way. The current system is pretty offensive psychologically IMHO.

Wouldn't an elegant solution be that the four labyrinths get unlocked by player level?

For example: 'normal' trial get unlocked at player level 30, 'cruel' at 50, 'merciless' at 70 and 'uber' at level 90.

In this way, it would still take a real achievement (getting to level 90, or even a bit above that) to access the labyrinth.

The trials being there for the lower labyrinths is actually a good thing, you can see if your build is up for the actual lab mechanics. Doing different kind of traps on different builds will sometimes show a shortcoming in that particular build. It also teaches the player on how to deal with traps with their build(improves player skill). Which in my mind makes the trials for the lower labyrinths a good thing.

The trials for the highest labyrinth(uber lab) are also good things, it will definately show you if you have mastered the mechanics. So it is basically the same as the first three labyrinths. However, the uber trials being so random to find, is something GGG should work on, in my opinion.

An option to see which trials we have completed in every difficulty is definately a must!

Also, removing trials would cause more player deaths in the labyrinth and cause more players to whine about their deaths(people always 'strangely' blame the labyrinth). While it is usually, 99.99% of the time, a player error when you die.

Unlocking the labyrinths by player level isn't necessarily a bad thing, however you are going to have the issue that some players want to do the labyrinth before they can enter(levelwise), and you will have players that need their ascendancy for their build to work while they will then sometimes be unable to enter the labyrinth. meaning, even when a friend wants to help them through, they would be unable to enter due to their level.
"
shaokim wrote:

shaokim, thank you for voicing your opinion that the labyrinth/trials could be modified to be made less frustrating. I've added your name to the list of players that have voiced a similar opinion now at 909 names long. As the list grows longer our voice grows stronger. Your thread has also been added to the list of threads discussing labyrinth problems, now at 333 threads. Over 330 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 900 posters in support

Here's shaokim's summary profile.

Last Visited:
Jul 4, 2017

Total Forum Posts:
196 (0.11 posts per day)

Awakening Supporter
Oriath Supporter

shaokim, wants a fun game to be more fun. A game that a little over a year ago had problematic content added, Labyrinth, that has generated discontent and even chased away some players to other games.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
I quite like how most of the labyrinth complaints don't actually mention any of the actual problems the content has but instead parrot about non-issues like trials and traps.
I have a slightly improved version of this idea for a compromise.

If you're fighting in the labyrinth solo, you are not locked by player level. This way, it's not a pure power creep and you aren't punishing people who get their own ascendancies or can handle Izaro fights.

If you're in a party, apply the player level lock, but adjust some of the levels.

Normal: 30 That actually makes a lot of sense.Not going to argue here.

Cruel: 50 Still makes sense because this can be approximately your level when you reach dried lake cruel.

Merc: 60 To me, this seems more appropriate because this is when most people hit merciless Dried Lake.

Uber: 80 This is good enough in my opinion to prevent a pure power creep. Reaching 80 isn't a cakewalk, but 90 is just ridiculous.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info