New to PoE

Curious what a good class to start with might be. I don't want the best character in the game, nor am i looking for specifics. Simply a pointer in the right direction. Thanks.
New and looking forward to joining a awesome community.
Last bumped on Jul 2, 2017, 11:42:12 AM
And you're interested in? What kind of builds were you usually playing in other games?
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
@OP: You are new to poe means you have no currency and you have no idea how the mechanics work therefore you only have 1 solid option - play a flametomem char. Can be played as witch, templar or marauder, needs almost no gear and is almost unable to die because your totems do all the work for you. That said I would recommend you don't give a fuck and just play whatever you want to, make your mistakes, learn shit from scratch and simply have fun!

German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
"
666lol666 wrote:
@OP: You are new to poe means you have no currency and you have no idea how the mechanics work therefore you only have 1 solid option - play a flametomem char. Can be played as witch, templar or marauder, needs almost no gear and is almost unable to die because your totems do all the work for you. That said I would recommend you don't give a fuck and just play whatever you want to, make your mistakes, learn shit from scratch and simply have fun!

This 1,000 times. It's how I've learned and grown, and it's a great view to take.
Combat is simple.
Keep your blood in.
Take theirs out.
Just know this, your first char will be trash and won't work out. So just make somthing find a guide. And follow it to the best of your abilities. Just get to know the game and how things work. Stack some currency for you next char.

Take a gander at the Builds section of the forum. They are sorted by base character and each sub forum for the character has the first post being a collection of build guides for that class. The builds listed in those posts are not just a link to a passive tree and maybe some gear but are full on guides that usually explain why they use the items and skills they use. They also usually contain links to video game play of that build so you can see what it looks like in action. This is one route.

I went this route when I started playing:
Spoiler

I didn't really spend any time on the forums, picked the ranger class as is my usual go to for games such as this and went for it. I struggled, but I had fun learning the hard way. After getting the build up to around level 72, I realized I was dying far to easily and was not doing jack for damage so I took my knowledge I gained and made a witch. By level 40 or so, she was outdamaging and surviving my first character. Thing about that is it's ok, it was a learning experience that was a blast. After I was done with that character (league ended) I took time to read up about the finer points, read the wiki/forums to learn some mechanics I didn't really understand and so on. Every character you make gets better because you learn a little more each time.

As for a starter, the flame totem starter previous users suggested is a good route. You could try a ranger using barrage/split arrow until you unlock Tornado Shot, that is a very solid route. A word of warning however, there is a pretty big expansion coming up in the next month or so, with quite a few mechanics changing. I don't mean to scare you away, by all means you should make a go at it to start getting the basics down, but just wanted to shoot straight with you.

Anyway, I ran out of words to say, so I shall leave it at best of luck to you, exile.
“ I'm going to build my own Wraeclast with blackjack and hookers. In fact forgot about Wraeclast and the blackjack. Ah screw the whole thing. ” - Exile Bender

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Last edited by Questionable_Xebra on Jun 27, 2017, 11:40:48 PM
Don't just play one character; leveling a character to 20 is quick and easy and will give you a feel for that class and most importantly different skills, then keep progressing the ones you find fun and effective. You have 30 character slots available, use them liberally.

My favorite skill as a casual player is Summon Raging Spirits as it is self targeting, you cast, run for you life, cast, run for you life, etc. and those little guys fly off and find a target to attack, they will even go after targets off screen when those near you are killed.

"
HoustonNative wrote:
You have 30 character slots available
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
Can't go wrong with crit duel flame totem. Easy to assemble, safe, cheap to build, and effective.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info