Upgraded

Couple of weeks ago I finally got a bit of spending cash, used it on upgrading my computer.
I went down to best buy and bought:
169.99 gtx1050 ti graqphics card
23.99 for 2x usb sticks for OS installation
67.99 8 gb of ddr3 of additional ram on top of my prior 6
89.99 240 gb ssd (a third the price a slightly bigger one)
12.99 cheap keyboard ( i go through them like bubble gum)
After sales tax: $388.86

Next pay check went to a local computer shop:
26.99 480watt powersupply
79.99 amd quad core fx-4300 3.8Ghz processor
67.99 asus m5a78l-m plus motherboard
After tax: $186.34

So basically the only thing left i havent upgraded was my case, 6gb of ram, and my mouse.
Swapping in the parts was stupid easy.
Some oddball quirk of the bios requires rebooting TWICE after changing sata settings before properly booting from usb. Which took hours to figure out!
Of course my old windows OS would not work anymore, microsoft needs to make that money everytime you upgrade your motherboard. And so kind of them to insist you format your drive when you upgrade your motherboard. So i installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Running poe, hearthstone, and star trek online through wine.

Poe has occasional stutters in wine. Hopefully i can fix this. But still very playable outside of HC. STO annoyingly locks up after about every 6th zone change. Dont know where to even begin to search for an answer to that.
All things being said, im pretty happy. A comparable prebuilt system would cost roughly twice what i paid. Its a powerful system that is practically virus proof.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Last edited by SkyCore on Jun 25, 2017, 11:37:47 AM
Last bumped on Jun 26, 2017, 4:56:12 PM
Simple in game fix for star trek crashing. Runs even smoother than when i played it on windows *boggle*.
Poe required me to: disable glsl in the playonlinux configuration->display, and enable csmt in wine configuration->staging. Only framerate spike happened when malachai used a skill for the first time, otherwise it maintained a nice smooth 50 fps.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Remember when I won a screenshot contest and made everyone butt-hurt? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
I dont see any any key!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info