Wolcen on Steam sale

So close to pulling the trigger on this but, I am wondering if anyone has recent experience with it and how much content there even is to try out. Looking for something to hold me over until 3.0.
Last bumped on Jun 26, 2017, 4:17:37 PM
I was looking into it, what turns me off, it seems like a forever early access game. Generally I try to avoid unfinished products. But anyway, your money, your choice.

edit, would rather reccomend grim dawn, its a finished game.
Spreading salt since 2006
Last edited by Necromael on Jun 24, 2017, 8:26:28 AM
I tried it a couple of months ago, it was barebones as fuck. Maybe things changed but I'd still wait.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
It's interesting to dick with for a half hour here or there. You can't really play it like an actual game yet.
I think will hold off. Looks promising, if it ever gets finished. Thanks for the replies.
Its a much better game as of the .5 patch that it just received. It now has a new world and has the first part of the story to play. Still though it will need a good year or more till it will be complete.
Depends on how much you like from what you seen in some of the youtube videos that has been posted for this game, how much patience you have for a game still being developed, and are you confident that these devs can actually finish the game. If you can somehow say a strong yes to at least two of these three responses, then you know what to do.

I took these approaches with Grim Dawn and I supported them with 85USD (when Loyalist Edition was worth that much) when the game was still not even in early access mode. Pretty risky investment knowingly those 85USD could had went down the toilet, but in the end it paid off. I did try out Grim Dawn when it was first released in May 2013 and despite having only one act, three masteries, and max level cap was 25 (somewhere between 20-30, not sure), the game was very satisfying at that time. Of course, I only played enough to get a feel of the game before putting down until like March 2016 when Crate finally finished the core game. Grim Dawn sure has evolved since its early release days.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

"
鬼殺し wrote:

Given what Crate had to prove after the gutting of Titty Quest/Ironlore, I'd say your money was pretty securely invested from the start. In fact, it was the whole 'we are going to redeem Titan Quest by making it better than ever, but with a new setting' feel to Grim Dawn that dissuaded me from supporting Grim Dawn in the first place. Which is funny, given I play Titan Quest a heck of a lot these days.

Wolcen is FAR, FAR less secure as an investment. It's had a super rocky development compared to the rock solid progress of Grim Dawn. I wouldn't touch it at this phase to be honest.

It was at a time that Kickstarter was kinda a new thing to approach with funding and seeing some projects either being fakes or just not being able to accomplish what the purpose was set out to be so there are canceled midway through due to still lacking in funding, kinda scared me a bit to support a game that was not even in early access mode. I ended up supporting them like a few months after their Kickstarter campaign ended.

This is just me with limited knowledge of Crate at that time. I got hooked just because of the VERY early gameplays and knowingly I got patience since I was still in school and PoE Open Beta was just a few months away. The kickstarter on Grim Dawn is what gave the ambition to make a bigger game than it suppose to be. The exposure by famous streamers (Kripp/ZiggyD/etc) during alpha (think from May 2013 until Oct 2013) and being in early access program in Steam (starting from Oct/Nov 2013) helped Grim Dawn be a finished product last year due to continuous funding.

I think the moment Grim Dawn appeared in Steam is what calmed my fear and made my investment worth it. I was in the mindset that maybe Crate was being a bit too ambitious in making the game bigger than the original intention from Kickstarter's goal and their budget was not enough to meet that demand. I was very glad that I was proven wrong.

Grim Dawn happens to be one of the few KS video games that ended up meeting/surpassing many expectations and having their product be finished. While Crate is still developing for the game, examples like Hidden Path content, Crucible (ended up being the survival mode content), the third roguelike dungeon (Port Valbury), and the upcoming major expansion, they are already in post release mode for a while now.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Jun 25, 2017, 1:22:48 AM
You all are probably gonna think I'm trolling saying this, but drop rates in Wolcen are even worse than in PoE. At least twice as worse.

In 0.5, I got to max level, 20, did all the story content (except for the end boss, the door was glitched, epic fail on their part), and I was still using white equipment in a few slots, and a magic armor I found at level 6. Almost all of my gear was complete trash. Nearly all the decent loot I got was from chests, mobs rarely dropped anything worth using.

For anyone curious, I'd recommend waiting until beta, after they get more of the performance and stability issues sorted out. The game runs like poop, and crashes frequently. A lot of alpha games do, but that's where the game is at currently.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Jun 26, 2017, 12:46:18 AM
I kickstarted it, and what little I played I was enjoying, they do seem to be making pretty steady progress of the game, but there's still not a whole ton. If you want tones of content, I'd wait for next sale, if you don't mind it being pretty limited now go for it.

The character creation is funny though. You have a buff/tiny and thin/fat slider and anything that isn't even looks totally silly.
Last edited by j33bus on Jun 26, 2017, 4:19:44 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info