[2.6] Frostbolt Totems Hierophant - CI and Life Variations - Speedy safe clearing - HC or SC

* FROZEN TUMBLEWEEDS *

Introduction

Hello! I ran a Hierophant in the 1 week hardcore race with flame totems and pushed to level 90 as a life build before giving up due to lack of clear speed. I wanted to make something that could clear Strands/Shores quickly.

After coming to Standard I rerolled some CI gear, still on a budget. A life version would be much cheaper and easy to level with.

Still has some work to do, haven't been able to test with limitless budget.

My first build guide. Enjoy!

Premise
Get some totems and stack some crit!
The Frozen Trail Cobalt Jewel gives us free Greater Multiple Projectiles and Faster Projectiles.
Conviction of Power makes clear speed go nuts with full power charges.
Have balls of death fly all over your screen, freezing and popping everything.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proof of Concept - Video and Gear

Video

Gear from video
Spoiler
Mostly stuff I've had laying around, so resists aren't capped and there is a lot of headroom still. With this setup I'm at 7.75k ES.

Skill Tree

Pros/Cons

Pros
Fast clearing
League starter with life build
Safe
Cheap
Decent Hierophant, which lacks builds
Totems, no reflect damage
Variable skill tree
9k ES with good dps

Cons
Boss damage is lacking
Hierophant
Totems, no leech
Mana
Low life pool on life variant sometimes

Chaos Inoculation Guide
Spoiler

Budget
For high end gear about 15ex. Gear from the video about 6-8ex.

Bandits
Kill All - Skill Point
Help Alira - Cast Speed
Help Alira - Power Charge

Skill Tree
Level 90:
Level 100:
Obviously these can be played with. Stuff like Righteous Decree, Celestial Judgement/Punishment, Heart of Ice, and extra totem life/resists are good extra options depending on what you need.

Leveling
You can self cast your Frostbolt early or use Freezing pulse (also has two really good jewels, First Snow). Once you get your Frozen Trail Cobalt Jewels, the clearing multiplies considerably.

Purity of Flesh, Devotion, and Constitution to buff your life until you feel like going CI.

Ascendancy Skills
Normal - Pursuit of Faith
Cruel - Ritual of Awakening
Merciless - Conviction of Power
Uber - Not necessary. Divine Guidance if you have the mana. Otherwise a couple mana regeneration nodes.

Gear
Spoiler

Example:
Spoiler

Chest - High ES Regalia with resists is best. Skin of the Loyal provides cheap alternative with a chunk of ES and +1 gems, which is great with Empower scaling.

Helmet - Any high es/resists rare helm. Frostbolt faster casting or damage enchant.

Gloves - High ES, preferably Fingerless, with resists. Voidbringer is a great choice.

Boots - Brinerot. Projectile Damage, movement speed, high ES, a little resist and shocking ground immunity to "boot".

Weapon - Two Void Batteries would be best DPS if you have enough defense. With this method you will want to take the extra power charge on the right side of the skill tree.
Tulborn is a cheap replacement. A good rare dagger/scepter works if you want to use Shield Charge.
I use a rare wand and looked for:
- Increased Spell Damage
- Critical Strike Change to Spells
- Global Critical Strike Multiplier
- Increased Cast Speed
- Adds Cold Damage to Spells
- Increased Cold Damage

Off-hand - Good rare shield with high ES, Critical Strike Chance to Spells, Spell Damage, and Resists is the obvious answer. Dual wield if you want more damage!

Rings - Opals obviously. Cast Speed, Cold Damage, Critical Strike Chance, Critical Strike Multiplier are the best damage mods.
Dexterity is useful for a few of our gems. Energy Shield and Resists. Use Essences on Opal or Diamond bases to get what you need.

Amulet - Eye of Chayula for stun resist. Bisco's for currency.
Otherwise a rare with Spell Damage, Critical Multiplier, Dexterity, Critical Strike Chance, Resists, Energy Shield are all good mods to boost damage and help get defenses up.

Belt - Energy Shield and Resists mainly. Unique options are Doryani's, Bated Breath, Faminebind or Headhunter, Mr. Rockefeller.

Flasks
Spoiler

- Wise Oak is a must.
- Kiara's is a must if you don't use Chayula and want stun immunity.
- Lavianga's is a great mana flask if you have your bleed immunity elsewhere.
- Quicksilver for clear speed.
- Silver flask for Onslaught (cast and movement speed).
- Diamond flask for crit.
- Stibnite blinds and evades.
- Basalt provides physical mitigation better than any armor (great for lab).
- Rumi's is another great defensive flask.

Wise Oak, Diamond, Silver, and Atziri's for pure damage.
Kiara's, Bubbling Mana Flask of Staunching, Quicksilver, etc. for defensive are good to work in.

Links and Gems
Spoiler

5 or 6 Links
5 link =

6 link add =

Based on your colors. With red go Empower (best dps), Green go Added Cold, blue go Critical Damage Support unless you need more chance, then go Critical Strikes Support.

4 Links
Curse/PC setup =

Orb allows us to get some power charges on bosses while applying Frostbite or Enfeeble

Defensive setup =

Immortal Call helps but isn't necessary, porcupines shatter. I have molten shell and vortex for extra defense. Do what CWDT setup feels right or what colors you can manage. Pay close attention to your gem levels!

Misc setup =

For the last I use Empower for extra ES/damage or if you want a tiny bit of mana go Enlighten.

3 Links
Vaal setup =

You kill so fast so Vaal Clarity and Vaal Grace are almost always up. Should keep you rolling and safe.

Movement/Frost bomb setup =

Self explanatory. Frostbomb for reducing resistances.

Can stick in Shield Charge - Faster Attacks somewhere, but Flame Dash is great for cliffs or gap jumping.

Jewels
Bread and butter:

If you get another jewel, good things to get are:
- Increased % Energy Shield
- Critical Strike Multiplier (cold skills, elemental skills, dual wielding if you are, or global)
- Cast speed (cast speed, attack and cast speed, dual wielding, holding a shield, cold skills)
- Cold Damage
- Critical Strike Chance (spells, cold, elemental, global)
- Projectile Damage
- Totem Damage
- Damage
- Chance to freeze

Life Guide
Spoiler

*This section will be updated and current information is outdated*

Mostly the same as CI with a few exceptions. Refer to the CI subsection for most of the same info. It is obviously cheaper, easier to acquire gear, and easier to level. The drawback is you may lose some DPS and survivability.

Bandits

Help Oak - Flat Life
Help Alira - Cast Speed
Help Alira - Power Charge

Skill Tree
Level 90:
Level 100:
Again, lots of wiggle room with what nodes to take. Damage needs crit multiplier, chance, totem stuff, cast speed, etc. As many life nodes as you can get to keep yourself alive. Dropping Heart of Ice gives a lot of wiggle room as well.

Leveling
Get Ancestral Bond later (again, not necessary), preferably once you are in dried lake merc. You can self cast your Frostbolt early or use Freezing pulse. Once you get your Frozen Trail Cobalt Jewels, the clearing multiplies considerably.

Save totem stuff for later, after you get your second ascendancy, and work on making things like freezing pulse or self-cast frostbolt better. Flame totem and decoy totem help manage boss fights while leveling.

Ascendancy Skills
Normal - Pursuit of Faith
Cruel - Ritual of Awakening
Merciless - Conviction of Power
Uber - Not necessary. Divine Guidance if you have the mana. Otherwise a couple mana regeneration nodes.

Gear
Spoiler

Example:
Spoiler

Chest - Belly of the Beast or armor with lots of life and resists. You wont have a lot of STR/DEX mostly, and colors can be a pain, so even something like an Occultist's Vestment will give you lots of blue sockets and spell damage.

Gloves - Rares with life and resists. Rare Gripped Gloves provide damage. Option uniques that work are Southbound, Winds of Change, Lochtonial Caress, Maligaro's, Vaal Caress, or Surgebinders. I prefer life.

Boots - Again, rares work well. You can use Brinerot but miss out on life. Windscream can help use Frostbite and Enfeeble and boost damage, Kaom's Roots if you want a big life chunk while sacrificing sockets, and Atziri's Step are a great choice defensively.

Weapon - Same as CI - 2x Void battery works best for damage, but would sacrifice a shield. Tulborn is a cheap replacement. A good rare non-wand (Or Doryani's Catalyst) works if you want to use Shield Charge. I used a rare wand and looked for:
- Increased Spell Damage
- Critical Strike Change to Spells
- Global Critical Strike Multiplier
- Increased Cast Speed
- Adds Cold Damage to Spells
- Increased Cold Damage

Off-hand - Good rare shield with high life, Critical Strike Chance to Spells, Spell Damage, and Resists is the obvious answer. Dual wield if you have enough life.

Rings - Opals obviously. Cast Speed, Cold Damage, Critical Strike Chance, Critical Strike Multiplier are the best damage mods.
Dexterity is useful for a few of our gems. Use Essences on Opal or Diamond bases to get what you need. For life builds I prioritize life and resist on rings and fill in the gaps after.

Amulet - Bisco's for currency. Halcyon/Pandemonius for damage. Star of Wraeclast would be a fun option. A rare with Life, Resists, Spell Damage, Critical Multiplier, Dexterity, Critical Strike Chance are all good mods to boost damage and help get defenses up.

Belt - Life/Resists. Unique options are Doryani's, Faminebind, or Headhunter Mr. Rockefeller.

Flasks
Spoiler

- Life flask or two, preferably Bubbling prefix to panic some life into your empty jar.
- Wise Oak is a must.
- Lavianga's is a great mana flask if you have your bleed immunity elsewhere.
- Quicksilver for clear speed.
- Silver flask for Onslaught (cast and movement speed).
- Diamond flask for crit.
- Stibnite blinds and evades.
- Basalt provides physical mitigation better than any armor (great for lab).
- Rumi's is another great defensive flask.

Links and Gems
Spoiler

5 or 6 Links
5 link =

6 link add =

Based on your colors. With red go Empower (best dps, easy with Belly), Green go Added Cold/Faster Proj (?), blue go Critical Damage Support unless you need more chance, then go Critical Strikes Support

4 Links
Curse/PC setup =

Orb allows us to get some power charges on bosses while applying Frostbite and/or Enfeeble

Defensive setup =

Immortal Call helps but isn't necessary, porcupines shatter. I have molten shell and vortex for extra defense. Do what CWDT setup feels right or what colors you can manage. Pay close attention to your gem levels!

Misc setup =

For the last I use Empower for extra ES/damage or if you want a tiny bit of mana go Enlighten.

3 Links
Vaal setup =

You kill so fast so Vaal Clarity and Vaal Grace are almost always up. Should keep you rolling and safe.

Movement/Frost bomb setup =

Self explanatory. Frostbomb for reducing resistances.

Can stick in Shield Charge - Faster Attacks somewhere, but Flame Dash is great for cliffs or gap jumping.

Jewels
Bread and butter:

Best mods to get are:
- Life!
- Critical Strike Multiplier (cold skills, elemental skills, dual wielding if you are, or global)
- Cast speed (cast speed, attack and cast speed, dual wielding, holding a shield, cold skills)
- Cold Damage
- Critical Strike Chance (spells, cold, elemental, global)
- Projectile Damage
- Totem Damage
- Damage
- Chance to freeze

Videos
New video - 6L Skin of the Loyal with level 3 Empower.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of14IzWKMhE
Proof of concept video on a normal Tropical Island:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHlACe0sXzg

Edits
Spoiler
Did Path of Building optimizations
Updated gear/gems
Added budget for CI version
Updated guide layout.
Updated skill trees for CI version, gear additions, and new video

Bye-bye
Thanks for checking it out. Played with this build for a couple nights and thought I'd share it's potential clearing power. It's been a lot of fun playing. You can really scale the damage on this. I will work on getting 20/20 gems, 21/20 frostbolt and 4 empower with skin of the loyal to push some end-game content.

Last edited by teslabear on Jul 9, 2017, 3:50:17 PM
Last bumped on Aug 10, 2017, 6:55:23 PM
Thanks for sharing this build! I'm currently working on it, I'm thinking this'll be my next league starter when 3.0 hits. :)
"
brgillespie wrote:
Thanks for sharing this build! I'm currently working on it, I'm thinking this'll be my next league starter when 3.0 hits. :)

Glad you like! It should be a good league-starter, at least something other than pizza sticks. I'll be doing some updates on it as well, I have a couple updated skill trees to add. I'll also add an Inquisitor section.

Once Legacy goes to standard I'll have some funds to do some better testing. Path of Building shows some pretty solid damage at a modest investment.
I'm going to try this build right now with all of your upgraded suggestions and corrected banditos. <3
Heres how I leveled for the life variant:
Items
Spoiler
1-7 --> 2 lifesprig + tabula
8-23 --> 2 lifesprig + tabula + meginord's girdle
24-34 --> 2 tulborn + tabula + meginord's girdle
35-45 --> 2 tulborn + tabula + meginord's girdle + the halcyon
46 --> 2 tulborn + belly + meginord's girdle + the halcyon
47-70+ --> 2 tulborn + belly + meginord's girdle + the halcyon + winds of change

Skill tree
Spoiler
1. Retribution > Discipline and training > elementalist > jewel socket (just take the 2 str nodes, respec later)
2. Retribution > Occultist > 3 of spell critical strike chance > jewel socket (just take the 2 int nodes, respec later)
This is to rush for sockets to use 2 frozen trail jewels.
3. Elementalist > light of divinity > overcharge > ancestral bond
At this point you should have most of the support gems and you can start using spell totems.
After this its up to you, i just went straight for every damage related nodes followed by power charges then lastly the life nodes.

Definitely a good league starter, could rush through lake solo at lvl 64 with 264m xp/hour by just dropping a totem at each pack and rushing to the next pack. Basically a fire and forget (until item filter alert calls you back) build.
Last edited by AT_Blitzy on Jul 7, 2017, 12:02:34 AM
"
Heres how I leveled for the life variant:
Items
Spoiler
1-7 --> 2 lifesprig + tabula
8-23 --> 2 lifesprig + tabula + meginord's girdle
23-34 --> 2 tulborn + tabula + meginord's girdle
35-45 --> 2 tulborn + tabula + meginord's girdle + the halcyon
46 --> 2 tulborn + belly + meginord's girdle + the halcyon
47-70+ --> 2 tulborn + belly + meginord's girdle + the halcyon + winds of change

Skill tree
Spoiler
1. Retribution > Discipline and training > elementalist > jewel socket (just take the 2 str nodes, respec later)
2. Retribution > Occultist > 3 of spell critical strike chance > jewel socket (just take the 2 int nodes, respec later)
This is to rush for sockets to use 2 frozen trail jewels.
3. Elementalist > light of divinity > overcharge > ancestral bond
At this point you should have most of the support gems and you can start using spell totems.
After this its up to you, i just went straight for every damage related nodes followed by power charges then lastly the life nodes.

Definitely a good league starter, could rush through lake solo at lvl 64 with 264m xp/hour by just dropping a totem at each pack and rushing to the next pack. Basically a fire and forget (until item filter alert calls you back) build.

Thanks for the info! Tulborns are great for leveling this guy.

Since I didn't level one this toon as a frostbolt (mine was flame totem) I decided to roll another guy in Legacy. I leveled as the life build and used about 20-30 refunds to switch over. The hardest part is, like any CI, the transfer levels. Once I hit CI with a 750 ES chest, 350 ES helm, 2 void batteries, my total ES is about 9k. The damage is pretty stellar around level 80 and I'm going to push it and do some end game content.

With your advice I'll make a more thorough leveling section with some leveling skill trees and gear.
Out of curiosity, some stuff that i forgot to test before taking apart the character i leveled for this build.

1. Frostbolt gem have base cold damage and the gem quality of % cold damage. Freezing pulse's first snow jewel have 50% freezing pulse damage if you have shattered an enemy recently (this may not work with totems). Freezing pulse gem have 25% chance of freezing. Does frostbolt have higher dps than freezing pulse?

2. Freezing pulse range scales with projectile speed and projectile speed is given with both the gem and the gem quality. If i can one/two shot monster packs with freezing pulse, is it better to use freezing pulse instead for its longer range?
Last edited by AT_Blitzy on Jul 7, 2017, 1:22:24 AM
badass build man. love seeing a legit FB build out there. cant wait to level mine up
"
Out of curiosity, some stuff that i forgot to test before taking apart the character i leveled for this build.

1. Frostbolt gem have base cold damage and the gem quality of % cold damage. Freezing pulse's first snow jewel have 50% freezing pulse damage if you have shattered an enemy recently (this may not work with totems). Freezing pulse gem have 25% chance of freezing. Does frostbolt have higher dps than freezing pulse?

2. Freezing pulse range scales with projectile speed and projectile speed is given with both the gem and the gem quality. If i can one/two shot monster packs with freezing pulse, is it better to use freezing pulse instead for its longer range?

1. According to PoB, Freezing Pulse is more sheet damage even before the extra 25% damage after shattering enemies, though it is not much. This is on all 20/20 gems and no Empower.

2. Freezing pulse totems off-screen (about 1.5 screen wide) and shoot fast. I just ran a T10 map and 1 shot most trash when at 8 power charges.

Which you should use is up to you. I found the Frostbolt more comfortable. The key for me is the width of the frostbolt shot. It fans out considerably, the projectiles travel slow so it allows for a lot more to be dumped into the screen before the mob explodes. The freezing pulse totems felt a tad clunky, but this may just be from using the frostbolt so much more recently.

Level up a freezing pulse in your offhand. If you like it better, use it. You wont have to change your skills or gems.

I'll record some videos of Freezing Pulse videos later too. Just hit 80 with a dual Void Battery, 750 ES Vaal Regalia, 350 ES helm and I'm nuking Shaped Strands with a comfortable 10k ES. My next 10-20 skills will be damage too so I may try Guardians/Shaper, though T15s might be the ceiling for HC.
I did a quick test. I didnt realise freezing pulse spread is so small, even with 5 projectiles. Seems like frostbolt is still better for clearing trash mobs. However, with that small spread, does it have better damage for bosses due to the shotgun effect of all 5 projectiles hitting the boss?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info