My first attempt at own build - tree / build advice?

So outside of my very first character to the game, I've blindly followed guides for every build I've done since then. I've created and deleted many characters since my time playing and really wanted to try out my own custom build / tree with an ability I haven't ever played with before. I'll give some background of my idea and would love tree pathing advice, concept advice or frankly it probably wont work out - drop it advice :).

Concept: I have heard bladeflurry is powerful but have never used it myself. I want to do a raider with 8 frenzy charges stacking lots of evasion / life mix nodes in case I do take a hit (sometimes it just happens). I want enough to soak up the occasional screw up. Outside of evasion/life mix, I want lots of movement speed. With max frenzy charges, movement speed on gear, reductions off armor, ascendency etc... the build should absolutely fly in the end form with raider. I'm also trying to AVOID going energy shield at all because if the build works out pretty well with life, i'll most likely go it in 3.0.

I wanted to focus mostly on PHYSICAL + Critical Dual Wielding Claws. Why claws? Because I like some of the endgame unique options and feel they are powerful. They have built in life on hit, coupled with life leech from nodes also combined with the claw node cluster for crit with leech, I feel also be another strong layer of defense with lots of life leech via multiple layers.

Ascendency: This is where i'm not 100% on as well. I was going to go the typical - Way of the poacher > Avatar of Slaughter. But instead of going to Quartz > Avatar of Veil I was considering instead to go Rapid Assault > Avatar of Chase. This will give lots of extra damage coupled with evasion and tons of movement speed. The biggest downside of this is long boss fights you can't typically trigger onslaught because it's on kill. To get around this I would most likely use a Writhing Jar on big bosses to be able to keep up onslaught via killing the worms that spawn from it.

I'm not positive on the gear yet. Most likely lots of physical, steel rings with res / phys. Possibly the perfect form for chest but debatable. I'm not sure how blade flurry feels endgame clearing wise. Maybe a carcass jack for the increased aoe/dmg. Will have to play around with gearing but most likely lots of +phys dmg and health/res.

This is the tree I have come up with. Any advice on pathing / concept is welcome. Don't hold back, if it probably wont work let me know. Should I focus on elemental instead etc?

https://poeplanner.com/AAgAAOMABxIrAG6bjQgu7YMZjgBe034Dh5VmDHOxsxutlLh7FPljVP695j7PUUfnVCT9_96Nv9QjMHHdqEt4OkIFtcLstMUM8qXL73r8xQ2Nh3ZKfRX9jYHBoHgZb1dbr90N4JWfglboTipM_0MxwzNaGtrBdO0FLXrvV5cR1WNwYEG-p2VNvTZHfoTZlcztP-d0bWy1SNRChG91_Ra_JpVh4lVLjDaJ03BSKgtd8lWFnapsjGKsk5CaF5KA6NYi6sM6KjgyAbIZz3p9df66FfZieQAGMHyNfSP2TZJ46wqb5wph63pTAAASAAACAAfQAQH0AQMLBAcBAQAEAAA=
Last edited by coaa on Jun 16, 2017, 10:37:22 AM
Last bumped on Jun 16, 2017, 6:24:33 PM
Yeah, why not, you should take 2 extra sockets near the path and consider taking Vitality void for extra leech but overall its fine tree.

You would have problem with reflect (due to pure physical damage) but nothing impossible.
You can think about psn/bleed scaling and new support gems in 3.0 that might fit your build but everything is possible.
Scaling elemental damage is also good way so its up to you.
Last edited by Rakiii on Jun 16, 2017, 11:43:25 AM
Concept seems fair enough, I've done similar things in the past. Heck, I'm still native in the right side of the skill tree.

Tree looks fine, with enough dodge and evasion even reflect shouldn't be a problem. Do you want real dual wield or dual wield with an off-hand stat stick? In the latter case, you could go for death's hand as off-hand.
If you want an interesting twist on the elemental variant, you could go for the phys to cold conversion nodes, fangs of frost, and the weapon elemental damage nodes. Together with hatred a majority of your damage will then be cold damage, a very good weapon for this kind of setup would be touch of anguish. In general a very underrated unique, even for phys builds very nice damage and a high crit chance.
As for speed and the gear decisions:
For speed you have pretty much two options gear-wise:
1. Queen of the forest and some kind of defensive boots, atziri's step being a valid option for spell dodge. This setup would be better against spells due to spell dodge and isn't too hard on your resists. Also, the speed boost is permanent, though you need a lot of evasion for it.
2. Darkray vectors and your choice of body armour, preferably something with decent defensive boni, I can recommend Kintsugi or Daresso's defiance. This option makes you stronger against attacks due to darkray vectors offering additional dodge. Also, the risk of oneshots gets greatly reduced due to either kintsugi's unique effect or the endurance charges from daresso's defiance. However the speed boost is tied to your frenzy charges, so you can lose it between fights. Also, you don't get as many resistances as with the other option (seriously, queen of the forest is pretty awesome for having all three resists).

The perfect form doesn't synergise with your current tree very well. Sure, the free arctic armour is very nice and all, but it's most useful for builds who want spell dodge, but not the drawback of having to take acrobatics. Also, it makes reaching maximum resistances quite a bit harder.
Another option for body armour is lightning coil, but it hits the lightning resist quite hard and only protects against physical damage. I personally prefer kintsugi over it.

Phasing vs Onslaught:
Phasing is useful if you plan on fighting bosses that have a high chance of inflicting ailments on you or lots of life. Especially when vortex or chilled ground come into play it gets really useful. On the other hand, onslaught is better for short bossfights and clearing normal monsters. With daresso's defiance you can keep onslaught up if needed by using enduring cry and, if you really want to, doedre's elixir to inflict a hit on yourself. Or writhing jar, but that would be too easy. You could also use fortify and Perseverance to keep up onslaught, if you really want to. The level requirement for that one is pretty high though (78).

If you want poison, you can consider snakebite. Hard to use in conjunction with darkray vectors though, due to a VERY short frenzy charge duration.

Well, those are my thoughts on the matter. I hope I could help you a bit.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
One minor thing i know you said you like movement speed but I don't think quickstep is worth it.

It's not bad but if you dw claws you should be able to whirl way faster and movespeed should not be as important so it is more like 3 points for 4% attack speed each, fairly weak.

It would be justified if it were pathing nodes but it really is just 3 points for 12 atk speed and 8% movespeed because you can path to duelist/ranger tree another way.

If you connect the two 10 dex nodes between herbalism and aspect of panther, drop the 10 dex node below finesse and the 10 dex node to the right side of herbalism, you get the same amount of points for better path. You also get option to take quickstep with only 2 points, yielding higher efficiency (becomes average 5% attack speed nodes).

basically like this instead

I think deadly dilettante should be dropped as it cost an extra 1 point and by itself already is not that great. It is mainly for varunastra i think. Better off geting the shadow notable for 1 hand weapon (30 damage 8 speed for 2 nodes) and/or finish claw nodes instead (claws of magpie path, which is like 27%(!) attack speed for 4 nodes plus 48% damage).

I feel 161% inc life is a bit low, try enter duelist 4% life nodes and finish the thick skin cluster. 4% feels bad but need all that you can get :(.

Lastly i think you got an extra 18% frenzy charge duration node.

And of course vitality void is always an option.
Thanks so much for the input so far guys - really appreciate it. Always helps to have other people take a look at it for you. I just finished merc and am in lake farming levels - it went super smoother. Cant believe how strong blade flurry is so far.

The clear speed is a little slow. Might look at possible other options that use my same gem setup for clearing, then switch for bosses but i'm not 100% sold on it. Still have a few options to try and see if it helps.

The bodyarmor / armor advice is very solid, thank you guys. I have a belly on atm just because I had a 6l laying around and its mid-level so I could use it while leveling into merc fairly early for the life. It looks like I have a lot to try out and play with. I'm not 100% sold on the phys only route, it is strong so far though. I might try and fit in a voidheart when I gear up more to try it out and if it feels really good i'll get a legacy one.

The pathing advice helped a lot. I think i'll switch that stuff around and get those points back. Should help free a few points here and there to take more life with.

As far as leech goes, SO FAR it's been perfect. Haven't had any trouble with dual claws +leech on hit coupled with the claw node soul raker giving 1.2% life and 0.8% mana plus the life node right next to it blood drinker giving another 0.4%. I might have some other leech I missed from stuff but I had absolutely 0 mana issues leveling and health comes back very quick with the damage blade flurry seems to be doing so far.
Last edited by coaa on Jun 16, 2017, 6:27:47 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info