Lower the time a char stays in the game after disconnect

Any reason it is around 10 to 20 sec long (havent timed it)?

It is better the game logs people out after a few sec of no response, say 5, rather than waiting that long. People with short lag spikes might be annoyed to get forced out but HC players keep their chars.

I've lost the 6th char to lag in the last 10 attempts to level a char to merciless. It was a full life regen tank that ripped this time too. fuck this bullshit. Surely the game doesnt have to wait as long as it does right now to log people out after no response from the client.
Last bumped on Jun 15, 2017, 5:19:27 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
the timeout of 6 seconds was setup after they evaluated the average to worst latency clients had communicating to the server.

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
vio wrote:
the timeout of 6 seconds was setup after they evaluated the average to worst latency clients had communicating to the server.

it didnt log me out after 6. Since i played this game it freezes the screen on lag for 10-20 sec. I can press exit to char selection the whole time but it will always wait a fixed time with frozen screen.
"
Toliman wrote:
"
vio wrote:

it didnt log me out after 6. Since i played this game it freezes the screen on lag for 10-20 sec. I can press exit to char selection the whole time but it will always wait a fixed time with frozen screen.

This is when you need the tcp disconnect macro that sends the packet to the server.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
Toliman wrote:
"
vio wrote:

the way it' usually implemented is the client sending either user input data or a periodical heartbeat packet to the server. if the server doesn't receive a packet every 6 seconds it takes your char out of the instance.

so even if your client freezes or the cat pulled the network cable out of the router, you char is saved 6 seconds after the last time your client could get through to the server.

---

if your char freezes and animations still play your client doesn't receive any data from the server and you play in lockstep mode.

to try to get the reason you can rum winmtr alongside the game which shows the latency of the individual routers on your path to the servers.

a howto for the setup is somewhere in the sticky posts of the tech support forum. export the mtr report to text and post it to pastebin.com and post the url here.

to follow up with the disconnection issue.

while the server has a 6 second timeout for "no communication", the client has none.

if your network is blocked your client will wait until it either receives some game data from the server (in which case it speeds up the game to sync the local status with the one of the server) or it receives the "connection closed" packet from the server which results in a "unexpected disconnection" message

"
vio wrote:
to follow up with the disconnection issue.

while the server has a 6 second timeout for "no communication", the client has none.

if your network is blocked your client will wait until it either receives some game data from the server (in which case it speeds up the game to sync the local status with the one of the server) or it receives the "connection closed" packet from the server which results in a "unexpected disconnection" message

I dont get a message though, just straight to char selection screen.

I have a hard time believing that tank died in 6 secs to a white mob just approaching from off screen.....is it possible that the heartbeat came through but nothing else did and I stayed longer?
Because if so next time Ill just pull the cable on lag.

Either way thanks.
6 sec sounds reasonable at least they decided on a good time.
if your char freezes and animations play your nw route is blocked and even the logout macro wouldn't be able to send the "logout packet" to the server.

if the whole client freezes (animations don't play), the logout macro likely works. and yes, there is a small chance the part of the client responsible for the display just froze and the client is still communicating with the server. pulling the cable would also work (in 6 seconds).

if you use a logout macro, you need one that calls a separate exe file to inject the tcp_reset packet. the last macro i saw did download the exe from a external server when loading the macro. so there is a potential risk of infecting your pc.
Im not sure whether or not it was fixed or changed, but if the disconnect occurs at the very beginning of you zoning initially into an instance, server would keep you in for 20 seconds or so.but that was a while ago, back when kripp played.

with that said, since client has no real knowledge of what happened (ie, you can only see exact detection of client sending no response and d/c in server-side logs), it couldve been well 6 seconds. you are only guessing what happened and have no real knowledge.

white mobs can hit quite hard nowadays.

like vio says, tcp RST is the best way because it helps to 'alleviate' tcp half open socket problem, which is one of the most fundamental network paradigms there is, especially in connection oriented protocols (which TCP obviously is)

tcp RST is also a great way to inject and forge connection breaking in places you typically arent supposed to. very well suited for man in the middle attack.
Only scrublets use log macros.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info