Spelling mistakes and typos

"
Rhys wrote:
"
killa78 wrote:
Check the quest item... Graven Architect or whatever from act 2 wall in western forest, i think it was mispelled the other day.. Normal diff.

"Artefact" is the correct British spelling.

"
"That I simply I can't begin"

Fixing...

"
twiztedterry wrote:
Shouldn't it be Empyrean?

Yes, yes it should. Fixing also...

Ahh, TIL... haha...

Alot of 'Merican's are going to be like WTF tho lol.

http://grammarist.com/spelling/artefact-artifact/ Just an article on it's prevalence in America vs the British spelling.
@Logos to get to me ingame!
Check out my Stream at www.twitch.tv/killa1413
Last edited by killa78 on Jan 28, 2013, 10:23:32 PM
Maybe the question should be, then, whether the Brits/Aussies/New Zealanders would WTF over seeing it spelled "artifact" or not.

Sure, Americans are going to think it's wrong spelled with an 'e', but if everyone else will think it's weird with an 'i', then maybe they're better off leaving it.

Based on your article, however, it seems the Brits can go either way on it, since the graph shows close to an even split (so neither one is necessarily correct or incorrect in that region). But the other one shows almost 100% "artifact," leading me to agree with you that it's probably better changed, as everyone will still understand it easily without thinking that GGG is dumb or something, LOL.

In fact, this webpage flags "artefact" as wrong.

Separate point:

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but in the char screen it shows "offense" and "defence" with a 'c'. This page flags that word as wrong with a 'c' though for all I know it may be acceptable in Britain as well. But I don't know.

In either case, it's jarring to see "offense" spelled one way (which appears correct) and then immediately seeing "defence" spelled differently, appearing wrong. If they agreed with each other, that would be one thing, but I'm pretty sure it should say "defense." This would also agree with words like "defensive" and "defensible" as well.

-VG
Invited to Beta 2012-03-18 / Supporter since 2012-04-08
Last edited by VideoGeemer on Jan 29, 2013, 2:54:05 AM
"
VideoGeemer wrote:
In fact, this webpage flags "artefact" as wrong.
No, your browser does. Webpages themselves don't to spelling checks.

Path of Exile uses British spelling always for consistency.

"
VideoGeemer wrote:
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but in the char screen it shows "offense" and "defence" with a 'c'. This page flags that word as wrong with a 'c' though for all I know it may be acceptable in Britain as well. But I don't know.

In either case, it's jarring to see "offense" spelled one way (which appears correct) and then immediately seeing "defence" spelled differently, appearing wrong. If they agreed with each other, that would be one thing, but I'm pretty sure it should say "defense." This would also agree with words like "defensive" and "defensible" as well.
This was mentioned on the previous page and is on my list to fix. both should use the 'c', as the game uses Brittish spelling throughout.

Should this one be "Loathe" instead? "Loath" is a word, and it means "Reluctant, or Unwilling" while "Loathe" is to "Feel intense dislike or disgust for."

I just think "Hate Sunder" might sound better than "Unwilling Sunder"

Just a thought though, keep up the great work GGG!
IGN: Darkflayme
My favorite flavor text: "Swinging through the air, it sings
of sundered, severed, missing things."
Last edited by twiztedterry on Jan 29, 2013, 5:35:27 PM
Brit spellings. Best spellings. Nuff said.
"
Shardok wrote:

Usless spam post' Nuff said..

Anyways back on topic. I understand that you want to use British spelling.. That is fine, your just going to have a lot of your U.S Audience thinking a lot of the stuff in your game is misspelled.
@Logos to get to me ingame!
Check out my Stream at www.twitch.tv/killa1413
I'm not 100% sure this is the right forum, or 100% sure this is the games fault, but
http://i.imgur.com/h2sFmQ4.jpg

Doesn't seem to be right.
On the loading screen when it gives the hint on how to change shortcut keys, it displays coding instead of the actual words. I'm guessing somebody forgot to close a bracket somewhere.
<Edit: already reported>
Last edited by Tharatan on Jan 30, 2013, 3:50:27 PM
"
killa78 wrote:
"
Shardok wrote:

Usless spam post' Nuff said..

Anyways back on topic. I understand that you want to use British spelling.. That is fine, your just going to have a lot of your U.S Audience thinking a lot of the stuff in your game is misspelled.

Anyway, back on topic. I understand that you want to use British spelling, which is fine, you're just going to have a lot of your U.S. audience thinking a lot of the stuff in your game is mis-spelled

FTFY
IGN: Darkflayme
My favorite flavor text: "Swinging through the air, it sings
of sundered, severed, missing things."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info