[2.6] Snowstorm's a'coming - LookinatKnees' Tornado Shot Assassin/Deadeye

Hello and welcome to my first build writeup on Tornado Shot.

I feel that this build best embodies Archers in video games while staying true to their theme consistently - human fragility, potent killing power and sleuth.

I've attempted Tornado Shot on 3 characters:

- LookinatKnees [Deadeye, 91]
- FlaskFinda [Pathfinder, 84]
- ArrowToKnees [Assassin, 90]

Please note that in writing this guide, I am seeking feedback and criticism refining this build. While I enjoy theory-crafting, I don't have access to funds to test major overhauls.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accreditation

I take inspiration from the following build guides and pay due credit to these mentors:

Spoiler
@NeverSink's [WIP] NeverSink's ♣ INDEPTH Tornado&Archer Guide ♣ Beginner friendly ♣ Rapid clear ♣ Uber Atzir
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1041989

@cgnGOD's 2.6 Tornado shot Who said you had to hit more than once? (cheap)
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1785411/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abbreviations

TS = Tornado Shot
BR = Blast Rain

HoI = Herald of Ice
AM = Assassin's Mark
WM = Warlord's Mark

EC = Enduring Cry

GMP = Greater Multiple Projectiles Support
PPAD = Physical Projectile Attack Damage Support
FA = Faster Attacks Support
SP = Slower Projectiles Support
FP = Faster Projectiles Support
PTL = Physical to Lightning Support
WED = Weapon Elemental Damage Support
Conc = Concentrated Effect Support
AFD = Added Fire Damage Support
CoH = Curse on Hit Support
CWDT = Cast When Damage Taken Support

Deadeye Passives Tree by level 90 --> www.poeurl.com/bjH8

Spoiler
Passives Tree Mechanics:

Spoiler
166 % increased Life
145 % increased Global Evasion Rating
+4 % increased Evasion Rating per Frenzy Charge [we run 7 Frenzy Charges]
1.6 % of Attack Damage Leeched as Life
50 % increased Life Leeched per second

60 % increased Attack Speed (8% from Bandit, feel free to swap to a Passive Point)
21 % increased Attack Speed with Bows
80 % increased Accuracy Rating
10 % increased Accuracy Rating with Bows
+200 to Accuracy Rating

157 % increased Physical Damage with Bows
20 % increased Physical Damage with Claws [with Bows using Lioneye's Fall Jewel]
68 % increased Physical Damage
154 % increased Projectile Damage
190 % increased Critical Strike Chance with Bows
140 % increased Critical Strike Chance
60 % increased Critical Strike Chance with Claws [with Bows using Lioneye's Fall Jewel]
+40 % to Critical Strike Multiplier with Bows
+85 % to Critical Strike Multiplier
+45 % to Critical Strike Multiplier with Claws [with Bows using Lioneye's Fall Jewel]

Bandits:

Spoiler
- Normal: Help Oak (+40 life)
- Cruel: Help Kraitlyn (+8 Attack Speed) or Kill all (+1 Passive Point)
- Merciless: Help Kraitlyn (+1 Frenzy Charge)

In the Passives Tree, I chose to help Kraitlyn in Cruel. You can choose to sacrifice 8% attack speed to access higher passives earlier if you kill all. It's not much of a difference. With a huge budget, the Passive Point would be more valuable.

Order of Ascendancy

Spoiler
- Normal: Fast and Deadly
- Cruel: Ricochet
- Merciless: Rupture/Far Shot fares about the same rate at this point (go Far Shot if you don't plan on respeccing after Uber)
- Uber: Respec Rupture into Far Shot and take Endless Munitions

Emphasis:

Spoiler
- 7 Frenzy Charges, +1 with The Blood Dance corruption to focus damage output from Frenzy Charges
- 2 Spare Jewel Sockets
- 1 Jewel Socket reserved for Lioneye's Fall Jewel
- Vaal Pact - Life Leech applies instantly. Life Regeneration has no effect.
- Acrobatics - 30% Chance to Dodge Attacks. 50% less Armour and Energy Shield, 30% less Chance to Block Spells and Attacks
- Phase Acrobatics - 30% Chance to Dodge Spell Damage

Ascendancy Emphasis:

Spoiler
- Skills Chain +1 times
- Skills fire an additional projectile [Tornado Shot gets +3 secondary projectiles]

Explaining the Passive Tree:

Spoiler
The defensive function of this build prioritises % increased Life, % increased Global Evasion Rating, Life Leech and Dodge/Spell Dodge in that order.

Life allows you to survive single regular attacks from end-game bosses like Izaro, Atziri and some hits from high-damage swarms before you restore everything via Leech/Vaal Pact.

While we cannot survive special skills like Izaro's one-punch, Atziri's yellow flame blast, Atziri's yellow lightning, Phase Acrobatics along with "Atziri's Step" saves us 46% of the times we make these mistakes. We can even boost this up to 80% with a max leveled Vaal Grace.

The offensive function prioritises % increased Physical Damage, % increased Projectile Damage, % increased Global Critical Strike Chance and Multiplier and % increased Attack Speed to pad our damage output and allow for further damage increase via gaining elemental damage on Physical Damage and other conversion shenanigans.

It dawned on me to emphasise that my Deadeye functions by exploiting damage conversion from Physical Damage more so than Critical Strikes. These are a welcome addition simply because a large Critical Strike applies a huge chunk of elemental damage as well. By running PTL and WED on Tornado Shot, Herald of Ice and Hatred, our damage consists of about 75% elemental damage. We can achieve 100% physical to elemental conversion by arming The Signal Fire, allowing us to ignore the Physical Reflect mod on maps. As a side note, having heavier leech with Vaal Pact also offsets the damage we take from Reflect. Just be reminded that leech can come from any source (like in Warlord's Mark), attack sources (Lioneye's Fall cluster) or exclusively physical attack sources (Daresso's Defiance). If we do only Elemental damage, we do not leech from Daresso's Defiance.

There is increased flexibility in this skill tree in that we have access to two clusters of 30 Strength and Intelligence nodes right along the build to make up for armour/skill gem requirements.

Also, we can commit to a 100%-pierce "Drillneck" setup by reserving 4 Passive Points. The primary arrow has natural pierce and travel to the point of your cursor, but this allows secondary projectiles to no longer be consumed on hitting monsters. This is amazing considering our ascendancy passive Far Shot adds 30% more damage based on how far the secondary projectiles have traveled from their origin.

Spoiler
- 100%-pierce is achieved by committing 4 Passive Points into the Pierce nodes to the right side of the tree to achieve 50% pierce and using the Pierce Support skill gem as a link to Tornado Shot. This is IDEAL if you're planning to use a "Drillneck" corrupted for "Adds an additional arrow".

- 100%-pierce can also be achieved with 3 Passive Points for 40% pierce if you use a normal "Drillneck" (10% chance of arrows piercing) and the Pierce Support skill gem as a link to Tornado Shot.

Deadeye Skill Links

I have shortlisted the following candidates for what I believe to be the optimum setup for my Deadeye character. Please feel free to share a differing variation.

Spoiler
Primary Attack - Tornado Shot (preferably in the Weapon slot)

Spoiler
5L Ordinary Tornado Shot
TS-GMP-PPAD-PTL-WED (G-G-G-R-B)

6L Ordinary Tornado Shot
TS-GMP-PPAD-PTL-WED-FA (G-G-G-G-R-B)

5L Piercing Tornado Shot
TS-GMP-PPAD-Pierce-AFD (G-G-G-G-R)

6L Piercing Tornado Shot
TS-GMP-PPAD-Pierce-PTL-WED (G-G-G-G-R-B)

Tornado Shot is multi-functional in the sense that it can be used for both Single Target as well as pack-clearing. Holding down Tornado Shot simply results in the clearing of packs and does not leave behind annoying single mobs like Lightning Arrow does.

The Pierce variation serves the same function in that a single Tornado Shot volley sends 6 primary arrows to your cursor's location and 18 secondary arrows fly out, piercing everything until expiry or hitting a wall.

I recommend the Pierce variation for a Deadeye because it synergises very well with Far Shot and our pseudo-AOE reach is significantly greater than other bow builds. Add arrows with Unique Bows and Quivers corrupted for additional arrows and we can fire to 11 primaries and 33 secondaries with each shot.

There's also an Uber Lab enchantment for Helmets that give +2 Tornado Shot secondary projectiles. We're looking to peak at 11 primaries and 55 secondaries that make for a ridiculous lining of arrows around any indoor area.

Secondary Attack - Frenzy (preferably in the Body Armour slot)

Spoiler
5L Frenzy
Frenzy-PPAD-SP-PTL-WED (G-G-G-R-B)

6L Frenzy
Frenzy-PPAD-SP-PTL-WED-FA (G-G-G-G-R-B)

Frenzy Charge generation is a problem when we're fighting lone Bosses, especially if we take on maps with Enfeeble or Temporal Chains - or any boss fight that is prolonged. Reason being prolonged boss fights usually don't provide us with enough mobs to feed our main steroid - Blood Rage off of, and we really don't want to take Blood Rage degeneration when fighting Bosses.

Frenzy provides us unparalleled single target DPS and generates the Frenzy Charges we need to reach stupid amounts of Attack Speed. Not to mention "The Blood Dance" (that can be corrupted for +1 Frenzy Charge) provides us with a ridiculous damage boost (6% increased damage per frenzy charge) to enemies on low life at the insignificant cost of potential attack speed (3% reduced attack speed per frenzy charge).

Anti-Boss Attack Option 1 - Blast Rain (only in the secondary Weapon slot)

Spoiler
5L Blast Rain
BR-PPAD-Conc-PTL-WED (G-G-B-B-R)

6L Blast Rain
BR-PPAD-Conc-PTL-WED-AFD (G-G-B-B-R-R)

6L Blast Rain (with "The Signal Fire")
BR-PPAD-FA-Conc-WED-AFD (G-G-G-B-R-R)

Blast Rain does not benefit from the Deadeye ascendancy passives for additional arrow or chain. Notably for that reason, this is the only attack you want to use against Atziri in her Mirror Phase.

By using Concentrated Effect, all the explosions from Blast Rain can be focused into a small AOE - effectively making it the strongest single-target skill in our arsenal. Carrying around a secondary equipped bow with Blast Rain and "The Signal Fire" to replace Tornado Shot is the ultimate in slaying bosses - and the safest option against the Mirror.

Sure, we're no longer Tornado Shot when we resort to this, but we're Dead-eyes if any secondary arrow chains onto the Mirror.

Anti-Boss Attack Option 2 - Barrage (carry around and swap Skill Gem as needed)

Spoiler
5L Barrage (from Ordinary Tornado Shot)
Barrage-GMP-PPAD-PTL-WED (G-G-G-B-R)

6L Barrage (from Ordinary Tornado Shot)
Barrage-GMP-PPAD-PTL-WED-FA (G-G-G-G-B-R)

5L Piercing Barrage (from Piercing Tornado Shot)
Barrage-GMP-PPAD-Pierce-AFD (G-G-G-G-R)

6L Piercing Barrage (from Piercing Tornado Shot)
Barrage-GMP-PPAD-Pierce-PTL-WED (G-G-G-G-B-R)

Barrage is a very easy option to switch to, considering how similar the links are to our primary attack. Simply carrying the Barrage Skill Gem in our inventory allows for 2-click switching to Barrage for a considerably safe option of dealing with Single Target and Mirror Atziri.

Barrage is able to synergise with Greater Multiple Projectiles Support and added arrows from our Unique Bows by directing all the additional arrows at your cursor with a small and negligible spread. This interaction is unique from the way GMP works with Tornado Shot - in that for Tornado Shot, the added arrows will spread out in a large cone with cursor as the centre. Note that "Volley Fire" will add arrows to the side of Barrage, causing them to interact with the skill similarly to how added arrows interact with Tornado Shot.

For Mirror Atziri, never shoot in the general direction of the mirror even if you aren't using the Piercing setup because Barrage has a small spread that could miss your actual target and hit the Mirror, smashing your life in the process. This is also dangerous if we have the internal +1 Chain from the ascendancy passive, as the missed arrows CAN chain to the Mirror. While this is a powerful option, it is not the safest specifically against Mirror Atziri.

Escape/Movement - Blink Arrow (Boots, Gloves or Helmet slot)

Spoiler
3L Blink Arrow
Blink-FA-FP (G-G-G)

The above links are sufficient to achieve Blink under-1-second. The last socket can be used to add Culling Strike Support (if linked) to give the minion summoned Culling Strike, and the quality gem makes it slightly faster.

While Culling Strike is an option for this slot, running Hatred and Blood Rage in the last 2 spare sockets feels a lot smoother for me. I would only really recommend Culling Strike over Blood Rage if you're running an area that isn't focused on pack clearing like Labyrinth, Atziri, their Uber variants, Guardians and Shaper.

Herald + Curse on Hit (Boots, Gloves or Helmet slot)

Spoiler
3L Herald of Ice (Power Charge generation)
HoI-CoH-AM (G-B-B)

Herald of Ice synergises well with Hatred, making Tornado Shot an eternal winter by adding insane amounts of cold damage.

Assassin's Mark is the offensive option that causes enemies to become (1) more likely to receive a critical strike, (2) take more damage from critical strikes and (3) grant life, mana and chance of Power Charges when killed. These are all welcome in any critical-focused build.

3L Herald of Ice (Endurance Charge generation)
HoI-CoH-WM (G-B-R)

Warlord's Mark is the defensive option that causes enemies to become (1) more likely to get stunned, (2) recover slower from stuns, (3) grant more life/mana leech and (4) chance of Endurance Charges when killed. While these aren't optimised for damage output, you'll come to realise the physical damage mitigation from Endurance Charges is very much welcome in a fragile build like ours.
Spoiler
The ability to generate Endurance Charges feeds Immortal Call that will very often proc to save us many times when we take too much damage, making us immune to physical damage - allowing us to leech back to safety. I've come to realise that simply using Enduring Cry to generate the charges is inefficient, because Immortal Call procs often on a low CWDT setup that using the Warcry takes away from us attacking and leeching in the first place.

I would vouch for using Warlord's Mark above Assassin's Mark, because while Power Charges adds a sizable chunk of crit, a Dead-eye doesn't do much damage. We also have only have two other means of generating Endurance Charges that keep us alive - "Daresso's Defiance" and Enduring Cry. Using Daresso's as the means locks our Body Armour slot, keeping us from using other powerful Unique options - but I do agree it's an amazing piece of Armour, just maybe not the best-in-slot in my opinion. Using Enduring Cry is a really inefficient way to do so, in my experience so I won't vouch for it.

Why not other Curse options?

Spoiler
I will only list options that make sense to our build in this section and justify with reasons I think my Curse choices are superior to the below-listed by comparing them against their offensive/defensive counterpart.

Projectile Weakness

This is an offensive option that causes enemies to take up to 56% more projectile damage and become more likely to get knocked back. However, compared with the Marks, this curse does not provide any form of Life Leech or restoration on kill. Only the damage increase will be calculated with our Passive Tree and equipment's Life Leech effects. While the curse also provides projectiles 50% chance of piercing cursed targets, the pierce chance is not included in the calculation of bonus damage from "Drillneck" as the pierce chance is external to the character and deserves no mention because of that.

Assassin's Mark provides life and mana restoration on kill, greatly increasing our sustain from clearing pack after pack. These Mana-restoring effects from Assassin's Mark and Soul Raker or Essence Sap allow us to free up a Flask slot that we would otherwise commit for a Mana Flask. We reserve 75% with Herald of Ice and Hatred that Mana Flasks also don't make sense if we're running around with 155 unreserved Mana to begin with.

Assassin's Mark also grants Power Charge generation, each providing 50% increased Critical Strike Chance. This is important because enemies cursed with Assassin's Mark are also more likely to receive Critical Strikes and take 20% increased damage from all Critical Strikes (essentially a "more" multiplier to our damage).

What is awesome about Assassin's Mark is that the curse functions externally to the character - meaning that even if your Critical Strike Chance is already capped at 95%, the cursed target can be forced to receive Critical Strikes 100% of the time. It removes RNG in this regard, because all your attacks essentially become Critical Strikes.

Temporal Chains, Enfeeble

Both of these are very defensive options. However, they provide nothing in the way of Life Leech and restoration on kill when compared with the Marks. These curses are far safer options than Warlord's Mark, because they significantly reduce a target's offensive ability immediately when cast. Remember that if we link this curse in the Herald setup, you will need to kill a FROZEN enemy to proc the shatter effect that casts the Curse.

Warlord's Mark provides the life leech from ALL SOURCES, including Herald, elemental hits, bleed and poison along with the usual physical hits that we do. The life leech synergises so well with Vaal Pact in the way that so long as you survive one very strong hit, you can restore your life back to full within a few volleys of Tornado Shot. Of course, the condition is you surviving that one very strong hit.

Also, Warlord's Mark provides Endurance Charge generation. These as mentioned above, provide physical damage mitigation - not Armour. Physical damage mitigation is oh-so important because physical damage is the most common form of damage in the game. Sources include physical hits, spells that do physical damage, physical degeneration effects like Blood Rage, physical hits that cause bleeding, bleeding damage and physical hits that cause poison etc..

Endurance Charges are also consumed to extend the duration of Immortal Call. For example, Immortal Call lasts for 0.40 seconds and a level 5 skill gem extends this by 112% per Endurance Charge consumed. This amounts to 1.74 seconds of invulnerability to all physical damage, including those listed above. This is very often more than enough time to recover with instant leech granted by Vaal Pact. To put this into perspective, we fire one Tornado Shot volley every 0.40 seconds or faster, meaning that so long as you're shooting at targets, you're always recovering life.

0.40 * 112% * 3 + 0.40 = 1.744

Cast When Damage Taken (Boots, Gloves or Helmet slot)

Spoiler
4L CWDT-IC*-Frost Wall*-Summon Ice Golem* (G-B-R-R)
(*ensure skill gem levels do not exceed the CWDT gem level)

As a fragile build, CWDT-IC is very often the lifesaver when we come across multiple high-damage packs like shrine defenders, Rogue Exiles, Invasion Bosses and other steroid-boosted Magic/Rare mobs. Upon taking any amount of damage up to the damage threshold stated on CWDT, the linked active skills get casted. This is the reason we want to keep CWDT as low a level, according to our life total, as possible to adjust the safety net. I typically keep my CWDT at Level 3 (skill gems capped at level 42).

Spoiler
Immortal Call is the most important skill linked. It is the ultimate in defense, making us completely invulnerable to physical damage for a short duration - extended by consuming Endurance Charges. What's more, I also run Blood Rage and the physical damage degeneration is also mitigated during this duration, allowing me to leech back to safety as I continue attacking.

Frost Wall is the next skill. This is also defensive, BUILDING A WALL AND MAKING THE PROJECTILES PAY FOR - ahem... On proc, Frost Wall creates a physical wall between you and the source of damage that triggered CWDT. This creates a barrier between you and your enemies that fulfills two purposes - (1) keeping melee attackers away and (2) blocking enemies' projectile-based attacks and spells. While this does not protect us from beam and area-based spells, these should be easy enough to escape with the under-1-second Blink. Yes, we can Blink and attack through our own Frost Walls.

Summon Ice Golem is the offensive last slot. The reason I put this here, is because I don't want to have to keep resummoning the Ice Golem each time it dies. It functions as an alternate target for enemies, as well as provides us with % increased accuracy and critical strike chance. Poor Olaf, though.

Aura and Steroid (can be placed with either the Herald setup or the Blink setup)

Spoiler
1S Hatred (G)

Hatred grants us a percentage of our physical damage as extra cold damage. This synergises with our emphasis on physical damage in the Passives Tree. Also, the aura does not benefit from the supports even if the equipment piece is fully linked, so we only reserve 50% mana with Hatred even if we unintentionally link it to the Herald or Blink Setup.

1S Blood Rage, 1S Vaal Haste or 1S Vaal Grace (G)

Blood Rage is our go-to steroid, granting us increased attack speed, life leech and frenzy charge generation at the cost of physical damage degeneration that is very often negated by the life leech. This is ideal for pack clearing.

If you dislike the drawback of Blood Rage, another offensive option is Vaal Haste. This steroid does not give life leech or frenzy charge generation. However, it provides us with a ridiculous attack speed and movement speed boost for 4 seconds. This is ideal for quickly dispatching with bosses, especially against prolonged fights if the boss will summon additional mobs for us to replenish souls and recast Vaal Haste during the same fight.

The defensive option is Vaal Grace. This steroid provides us with flat dodge chance for both attacks and spells. With Phase Acrobatics and "Atziri's Step" we can reach up to 80% spell dodge.

Deadeye's Unique Weapon Options

Spoiler
(Right-click to open these links in a new tab to stay on this forum page)

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Lioneye%27s_Glare
"Lioneye's Glare" is a 361.9 physical DPS bow that grants up to 24% increased elemental damage with weapons and the Unique Mod "hits can't be evaded". The % increased elemental damage has very welcome synergies with the elemental-focus of our attacks. The Tornado Shot 6L setup with PTL/WED along with HoI and Hatred does about 75% elemental damage without further conversion with "The Signal Fire".

Note that using this option has a unique interaction with Reflect - in that damage from our hits reflected back onto us cannot be evaded as well. While reflected damage can still be dodged, we really do not want to run Reflect maps while using a Lioneye's Glare. Individual reflect mobs are okay.

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Reach_of_the_Council
"Reach of the Council" is a 298.2 physical DPS bow that adds 4 arrows to Tornado Shot on its Legacy (2.4) variant, 2 arrows in the nerfed version (2.6). There is another Legacy (pre-2.4) variant that has even higher dps.

While this is the strongest option from the sheer number of arrows we can shoot, it is also priced very steeply as compared with a "Death's Opus". In the Assassin's Unique Weapon Options section, I included a hypothetical comparison assuming the constant that the increased Critical Strike Chance did not make a difference. I concluded the comparison that to Assassins, Reach is not significantly stronger unless we can afford the legacy variant that adds 4 arrows. For the Deadeye however, we do not have access to the 2 additional empowered Power Charges and are very unlikely to cap our Critical Strike Chance. The Death's Opus is decent enough to hold its own as an end-game weapon.

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Death%27s_Opus
"Death's Opus" is a 207.0 physical DPS bow that adds 2 arrows to Tornado Shot. The internal Critical Strike Chance is 7.5% and increases Global Critical Strike Multiplier by 150%.

Assassin Passives Tree by level 91 --> www.poeurl.com/bjSD

Spoiler
Passives Tree Mechanics:

Spoiler
141 % increased Life
83 % increased Global Evasion Rating
1.6 % of Attack Damage Leeched as Life
50 % increased Life Leeched per second

32 % increased Attack Speed
21 % increased Attack Speed with Bows
60 % increased Accuracy Rating
10 % increased Accuracy Rating with Bows

157 % increased Physical Damage with Bows
20 % increased Physical Damage with Claws [with Bows using Lioneye's Fall Jewel]
88 % increased Physical Damage
58 % increased Projectile Damage
76 % increased Chaos Damage
70 % increased Damage with Poison
77 % increased Damage over Time
20% of Physical Damage gained as Extra Chaos Damage against Bleeding Enemies
Bleeding you inflict on Maimed Enemies deals 100% more Damage
Poison you inflict with Critical Strikes deals 100% more Damage

202 % increased Critical Strike Chance with Bows
180 % increased Critical Strike Chance
60 % increased Critical Strike Chance with Claws [with Bows using Lioneye's Fall Jewel]
+64 % to Critical Strike Multiplier with Bows
+85 % to Critical Strike Multiplier
+45 % to Critical Strike Multiplier with Claws [with Bows using Lioneye's Fall Jewel]
+8 % to Critical Strike Multiplier per Power Charge [we run 5 Power Charges]
+0.5 % Critical Strike Chance per Power Charge [we run 5 Power Charges]

Soul Raker Claw Nodes?

Spoiler

*Important: The Tree features the 8 passive points taken towards the Soul Raker claw nodes and Jewel nodes just under. The Jewel node is reserved for "Lioneye's Fall" that transforms all Melee Weapon modifiers into Bow modifiers. These nodes result in 60% Critical Chance, 45% Critical Multiplier, 20% increase Physical Damage, and life/mana leech from Attack Damage.

The leech from the Soul Raker node is compared to Vitality Void cluster at the bottom of the Tree.
To achieve the same life/mana leech, 4 points will have to be invested here, resulting in slightly more life leech. There needs to be emphasis that this Tree attempts to take every Critical Strike Chance/Multiplier node to exceed the maximum Critical Chance and subsequently using "Marylene's Fallacy" to receive a ridiculous Critical Strike Multiplier and Culling Strike on Critical Strikes.

If you do not intend to take the Soul Raker nodes, the 8 points can be redirected to the 4 nodes for Vitality Void to get the life/mana leech and

Bandits:

Spoiler
- Cruel: Kill all (+1 Passive Point)
- Merciless: Help Alira (+1 Power Charge)

In Cruel, we choose the Passive Point over 8% attack speed because we need access to further passives earlier in our build. Our damage delivery depends far more on Critical Strikes and raw Physical Damage than Attack Speed, so a Passive Point is much more valuable for the Assassin as compared with the Deadeye.

Order of Ascendancy

Spoiler
Bleed/Poison Route

- Normal: Noxious Strike
- Cruel: Toxic Delivery
- Merciless: Unstable Infusion
- Uber: Deadly Infusion

Power Charge Route

- Normal: Unstable Infusion
- Cruel: Deadly Infusion
- Merciless: Noxious Strike
- Uber: Toxic Delivery

Really, whatever you choose at the start works wonders with this build. Our damage scales very well with Bleed and Poisons, just as it would with empowered Power Charges. Just remember to allocate Passive Points according to the ascendancy points allocation. If you're going Power Charges in Normal, spec your Passives Tree upwards to grab the +1 Power Charge node before speccing downwards.

I grabbed Noxious Strike and Toxic Delivery in Normal and Cruel respectively while speccing my Passives Tree downwards, grabbing Critical, Damage and Life nodes before Level 75. I was already able to clear Tier 11 Shaped Strands before completing Merciless Labyrinth with under ~46% Critical Strike Chance. Then with 4 unempowered Power Charges, my Critical Strike Chance only increased to ~60%. On hindsight, I feel that the Bleed/Poison route is extremely powerful because of the Physical double-dipping mechanics. Feel free to try out the Power Charge route.

Emphasis:

Spoiler
- 5 Power Charges
- 4 Spare Jewel Sockets
- 1 Jewel Socket reserved for Lioneye's Fall Jewel
- Vaal Pact - Life Leech applies instantly. Life Regeneration has no effect.
- Acrobatics - 30% Chance to Dodge Attacks. 50% less Armour and Energy Shield, 30% less Chance to Block Spells and Attacks
- Phase Acrobatics - 30% Chance to Dodge Spell Damage

Ascendancy Emphasis:

Spoiler
- Automatic Power Charge generation from Unstable Infusion
- Increased effectiveness of Power Charges from Deadly Infusion
- Bleed/Poison synergies with Noxious Strike
- Stupid amounts of Poison damage with Toxic Delivery

Explanation of Passive Tree:

Spoiler
The defensive function of this build prioritises % increased Life, Life Leech and Dodge/Spell Dodge in that order. Compared with the Deadeye build that I'm most familiar with, this build does not focus as heavily into high amounts of evasion.

Life allows you to survive single regular attacks from end-game bosses like Izaro, Atziri and some hits from high-damage swarms before you restore everything via Leech/Vaal Pact.

While we cannot survive special skills like Izaro's one-punch, Atziri's yellow flame blast, Atziri's yellow lightning, Phase Acrobatics along with Atziri's Step saves us 46% of the times we make these mistakes.

The offensive function prioritises % increased Physical Damage, % increased Projectile Damage, % increased Global Critical Strike Chance and Multiplier and % increased Attack Speed to pad our damage output and allow for further damage increase via causing bleeds everywhere and ridiculous amounts of poisons on Critical Strikes.

The Assassin's offensive option capitalises on delivering stupid amounts of poison through insane numbers of Critical Strikes. Yes, we're exploiting dirty double-dipping mechanics, but until that changes, the bleed-poison critical Assassin is the way to go. The Assassin's Noxious Strike and Toxic Delivery ascendancy passives applies poison to Bleeding enemies. Both Bleed and Poison capitalise on increasing physical damage. "Atziri's Promise" grants extra chaos damage from both Physical and Elemental damage, justifying the use of Hatred and Herald of Ice to further increase the damage from Poison stacks.

Furthermore, the Assassin can use Puncture as a secondary attack to permanently bleed a lone Boss and follow up with Tornado Shots that gains Chaos Damage on bleeding targets, each primary and secondary projectile having 40% chance to apply Poison on Hit that also gains more damage when applied through Critical Strikes. (Hint: What about Poison Support?)

There is increased flexibility in this skill tree in that we have access to two clusters of 30 Strength and Intelligence nodes right along the build to make up for armour/skill gem requirements.

Also, we can commit to a 100%-pierce "Drillneck" setup by reserving 4 Passive Points. The primary arrow has natural pierce and travel to the point of your cursor, but this allows secondary projectiles to no longer be consumed on hitting monsters.

Spoiler
- 100%-pierce is achieved by committing 4 Passive Points into the Pierce nodes to the right side of the tree to achieve 50% pierce and using the Pierce Support skill gem as a link to Tornado Shot. This is IDEAL if you're planning to use a Drillneck corrupted for "Adds an additional arrow".

- 100%-pierce can also be achieved with 3 Passive Points for 40% pierce if you use a normal Drillneck (10% chance of arrows piercing) and the Pierce Support skill gem as a link to Tornado Shot.

Assassin Skill Links

I have shortlisted the following candidates for what I believe to be the optimum setup for my Assassin character. Please feel free to share a differing variation.

Spoiler
Primary Attack - Tornado Shot (preferably in the Weapon slot)

Spoiler
5L Ordinary Tornado Shot
TS-GMP-PPAD-PTL-WED (G-G-G-B-R)

5L Ordinary Tornado Shot (added fire)
TS-GMP-PPAD-FA-AFD (G-G-G-G-R)

6L Ordinary Tornado Shot
TS-GMP-PPAD-FA-PTL-WED (G-G-G-G-B-R)

5L Piercing Tornado Shot
TS-GMP-PPAD-Pierce-AFD (G-G-G-G-R)

6L Piercing Tornado Shot
TS-GMP-PPAD-Pierce-PTL-WED (G-G-G-G-B-R)

Our Assassin relies too heavily on increasing sources of Physical Damage and subsequently our damage from Bleeding and Poison, to use PTL/WED above PPAD. Do not sacrifice PPAD for the PTL/WED conversion.

Tornado Shot is multi-functional in the sense that it can be used for both Single Target as well as pack-clearing. Holding down Tornado Shot simply results in the clearing of packs and does not leave behind annoying single mobs like Lightning Arrow does.

The Pierce variation serves the same function in that a single Tornado Shot volley sends 5 primary arrows to your cursor's location and 15 secondary arrows fly out, piercing everything until expiry or hitting a wall.

There's also an Uber Lab enchantment for Helmets that give +2 Tornado Shot secondary projectiles. By using a Legacy "Reach of the Council" (+4 Arrows) and a corrupted "Drillneck" (+1 Arrow), we're looking to peak at 10 primaries and 50 secondaries that make for a ridiculous lining of arrows around any indoor area.

Make no mistake, PTL/WED is insanely powerful but in a 5L scenario removing PPAD to add damage conversion to lightning is not justifiable - lightning damage does not apply poisons without the use of "Atziri's Promise". The 5th slot should then be something that increases Physical Damage or increase DPS significantly. Optional candidates are FA or SP. I really like AFD though, because it grants extra fire damage based on our Physical Damage.

Since PTL/WED does not scale Bleeding or Poison damage, why do we use it in a 6L setup then?

In a 6L setup, we do not need to replace PPAD - this gem is very important because it confers up to 11.5% increased Physical Damage (23Q) and up to 52% more Physical Projectile Attack Damage (L23) to our attacks.

PTL confers the ability to shock enemies - Bosses in particular. In the Assassin setup, we're focused on dealing Critical Strikes which then allows us to inflict permanent shock on bosses with our absurd Critical Strike Chance. The "Shocked" status causes the affected target to take 50% increased damage from all sources. This means all our attacks, Bleed and Poisons gain even more damage thereafter.

Assassin's Unique Weapon Options

Spoiler
(Right-click to open these links in a new tab to stay on this forum page)

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Reach_of_the_Council
"Reach of the Council" is a 298.2 physical DPS bow that adds 4 arrows to Tornado Shot on its Legacy (2.4) variant, 2 arrows in the nerfed version (2.6). The internal Critical Strike Chance is 6.0% and does not increase Critical Strike Multiplier. There is another Legacy (pre-2.4) variant that has even higher dps.

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Death%27s_Opus
"Death's Opus" is a 207.0 physical DPS bow that adds 2 arrows to Tornado Shot. The internal Critical Strike Chance is 7.5% and increases Global Critical Strike Multiplier by 150%.

Because the Assassin is built for Critical Strikes and easily cap Critical Strike Chance at 95%, I will do a simple hypothetical comparison with a Critical Strike Multiplier at 350% and 550% for "Reach of the Council" and 500% and 700% for "Death's Opus" - amounts of Multiplier I believe to be average and extreme respectively. In these calculations, I have implemented the constant that Critical Strike Chance is capped - which is not always true especially on a low budget (under 30 exalts).

I will admit that this simple comparison does not truly reflect the complex mechanics that make up our damage in Path of Exile. This simple comparison serves only to establish common understanding leading up to the build. I would invite people to test this out if they would like to clarify this.

With Reach of the Council @ 350% Critical Strike Multiplier, we reach 1,006.4 DPS.
- Critical Strike component = 298.2 * 0.95 * 350% = 991.515
- Non-Critical Strike component = 298.2 * 0.05 = 14.91

With Death's Opus @ 500% Critical Strike Multiplier, we reach 993.6 DPS.
- Critical Strike component = 207.0 * 0.95 * 500% = 983.25
- Non-Critical Strike component = 207 * 0.05 = 10.35

With Reach of the Council @ 550% Critical Strike Multiplier, we reach 1,573.0 DPS.
- Critical Strike component = 298.2 * 0.95 * 550% = 1,558.095
- Non-Critical Strike component = 298.2 * 0.05 = 14.91

With Death's Opus @ 700% Critical Strike Multiplier, we reach 1,386.9 DPS.
- Critical Strike component = 207.0 * 0.95 * 700% = 1,376.55
- Non-Critical Strike component = 207 * 0.05 = 10.35

From this calculation, it shows clearly the comparison between Reach and Opus assuming capped Critical Strike Chance. Reach is not significantly stronger unless we can afford the legacy variant that adds 4 arrows.

Assassin Runthrough Demos

Experimental Life-based Ascendant (Pathfinder/Slayer) Phys-to-Ele Tornado Shot/Frenzy Build

Spoiler
Complete build with Tree/Item/Skills

Use with Path of Building: https://pastebin.com/nTfsu3z2

Ascendant (Pathfinder/Slayer) Passives Tree by level 91 --> www.poeurl.com/bjYw

Spoiler
Passives Tree Mechanics:

Spoiler
Defensive Mechanics

- +72 to maximum Life
- 186 % increased Life
- 48 % increased Evasion Rating and Armour
- 62 % increased Evasion Rating
- 4 % increased Evasion Rating per Frenzy Charge (we run 7 Frenzy Charges)
- 2.4 % of Attack Damage Leeched as Life
- 5 % of maximum Life per second to maximum Life Leech rate
- 10 % of Overkill Damage is Leeched as Life
- 0.4% of Attack Damage Leeched as Mana

Offensive Mechanics

- 165 % increased Physical Damage with Bows
- 20 % increased Physical Damage
- 91 % increased Projectile Damage
- 25 % increased Damage while using a Flask

- 44 % increased Elemental Damage
- 52 % increased Elemental Damage with Weapons
- 20 % increased Elemental Damage while using a Flask

- 32 % increased Attack Speed
- 21 % increased Attack Speed with Bows

Notable Mechanics

- Culling Strike
- 30 % increased Damage against Rare and Unique Enemies
- 10 % reduced Reflected Elemental Damage taken
- Damage with Weapons Penetrates 5 % Elemental Resistance

Bandits:

Spoiler
- Cruel: Kill all (+1 Passive Point)
- Merciless: Help Kraitlyn (+1 Frenzy Charge)

Order of Ascendancy

Spoiler
- Normal/Cruel: Dexterity, Passive Point (towards Ranger)
- Cruel: Ranger Ascendancy - Pathfinder, Strength and Dexterity (towards Duelist)
- Merciless: Passive Point (towards Duelist), Duelist Ascendancy - Slayer
- Uber: Passive Point (towards Ranger), Path of the Ranger

The Passive Tree facilitates ease of Ascendancy by allowing us to invest 2 points into the Strength and Dexterity nodes by the Avatar of the Hunt node in order to spec into Finesse early. This way, we are not limited by the usual Ascendant limitations of having a huge bulk of points waiting to be added just because we cannot solo Merciless Labyrinth with only ~50 points into the Tree. After taking Path of the Ranger, we can immediately refund the 2 mentioned stat nodes to boost our progress through the Tree.

Emphasis:

Spoiler
- 7 Frenzy Charges
- 5 Spare Jewel Sockets

Ascendancy Emphasis:

Spoiler
- Pathfinder Ascendant allows us to augment our damage using Utility Flasks with lasting effects.
- Slayer Ascendant gives us Culling Strike and boosted damage against Rare mobs and Bosses. Furthermore, overkilling mobs further increases our survivability with Vaal Pact's instant leech.

Explanation of Passive Tree:

Spoiler
The defensive function of this build prioritises % increased Life much more heavily than other classes and Life Leech.

While we cannot survive special skills like Izaro's one-punch, Atziri's yellow flame blast, Atziri's yellow lightning, this build is much more forgiving, allowing us access to the Scion Life nodes, making flat Life bonuses go much farther. The ability to fill all 5 Jewel nodes with 7% increased Life makes this build a much tankier class than our other Archer counterparts, while maintaining our damage potential.

The offensive function prioritises % increased Physical Damage, % increased Projectile Damage and % increased Attack Speed to pad our damage output and allow for further damage increase via extra Elemental Damage based on our Physical Damage and 100% Physical to Elemental conversion. This is an Elemental Damage build that makes use of increases to Physical Damage.

As a Pathfinder Ascendant, our focus is not limited to just our Items and Skill Gems. Basic Utility Flasks are very powerful, but our potential lies in augmenting our already-ridiculous Elemental Damage using Unique Flasks like "Atziri's Promise", "Taste of Hate" and "Vessel of Vinktar (add lightning to attacks)", as well as a special Unique Belt "The Retch" that abuses our ridiculous Life Leech and extends the duration of our flasks. Being a Pathfinder Ascendant also increases flask charges gained, effectively nullifying "The Retch"'s negative mod "reduced flask charges gained while using a flask".

Then we gain the Slayer Ascendancy that basically gives us Culling Strike. Tornado Shot has been renowned for its ridiculous clear-speed and moderate ability to kill Bosses. Being a pseudo-Slayer, we gain perhaps the most insane ability against Bosses - 30% increased damage (that also double-dips into ignites we inflict at least until 3.0 hits) and insta-kill when the Boss drops below 10% maximum life.

There is increased flexibility in this skill tree in that we have access to a clusters of 30 Strength and Intelligence nodes right along the build to make up for armour/skill gem requirements.

No Drillneck, only The Signal Fire

Spoiler
The best-in-slot Quiver for this build is The Signal Fire for the reason that it is one half of our 100% phys-to-ele conversion build, the other being Physical to Lightning Support. The Signal Fire also grants extra fire damage based on our physical damage. This provides a ridiculous elemental damage boost, because our focus has always been on increasing our physical damage.

Drillneck is not an option for this build, because it only increases projectile damage by 50% even if we manage to achieve 100% pierce chance - which require 3-4 points that come very late into our Passives Tree. The late points are significantly more valuable to increase our Maximum Life, simply because we'll be looking to doing high-tier mapping and end-game boss content by level 80-90.
Spoiler

To be updated with more information.
Last edited by YuuiZone on May 26, 2017, 3:46:08 AM
Last bumped on May 20, 2017, 6:00:16 PM
Reserving a post!
Awesome Post

Indepth and great creativity. ( Nice 2 Curse Idea )

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info