how does leech work?

hi,

i wanted to understand the leech mechanic, here is what i got from the wiki:

we have 3 stats that interact with leech

#% damage leeched as life
#% of maximum Life per second to maximum Life Leech rate
#% increased (or reduced) Life Leeched per second

#% damage leeched as life

is what % of damage is applied as leech to you.

so if you hit for 100, and have 10% you will leech 10 life in total.

this 10 life will be split into instances, each instant will heal you at a max as 2% of your max life per second.

if your max hp is 100, that means every instance will heal you for 2.

so with the 10 leech from before, you will now have 5 instances with 2hp/sec.

this increases the 2% max per instances. so that you will heal more from each instance per second

#% increased (or reduced) Life Leeched per second

you have a cap what you can heal per second which is 20% of your max health.

so in the example above the 100 max hp char can have a max hp/sec leech of 20hp.
the stat above increases this 20%

here are my questions:

is that right? did i miss smth?

i heard abaout a cap for life at 1,2 and mana at 0,8. i cant find anything about that caps? are they real, what do they cap?

i can see 3 stats in my character screen:
main hand life leech from phys attack
life leech rate modifier
life leech from attacks

the leech rate is the max HP you can gain per sec i guess.
what are the other 2 stats? they are named different from what i explained above....

thank you

(step 1265/987234786 to understand POE)
Last bumped on Nov 23, 2017, 12:09:52 AM
"
is what % of damage is applied as leech to you.

so if you hit for 100, and have 10% you will leech 10 life in total.

this 10 life will be split into instances, each instant will heal you at a max as 2% of your max life per second.

So this works a bit different than that. Taking the same example as you stated:

HP: 1000
Damage: 100
Leech: 10%

The following will happen per hit:
You will create a Leech Instance of 10 HP to be recovered at the Leech Rate per Second, which is 2% of you Maximum Life per second by default. So for this hit, you will recover 10 HP in .5 seconds:
Leech Duration = (HealAmount / (MaxHealthPool * .02)) = (10 / (1000 * .02)) = 10/20 = .5 Seconds

As you can see, each Leech Instance has a maximum of 20 Life Regenerated per Second. This is a function of your maximum health, and can also be increased by items that provide #% increased (or reduced) Life Leeched per second. Meaning if you got an item that provides 100% increased Life Leeched per Second, each instance of Life leech will recover at a maximum of:

1000 * .02 * 2 = 40 Life per Second

This means you will need fewer Leech Instances to hit your Maximum Life Leech Rate Cap

The Maximum Life Leech Rate Cap for you character is 20% of your Life recovered per second by default. This means for our previous example, you will be able to have 200 Life/Second combined from all of the Leech instances. So you will have to hit 10 Damage, 20 times per second to reach that cap:

Maximum Life Leech Cap = 1000 * .2 = 200 Life per Second
Leech Instance = 20 Life per Second
Our Hit = 10 = .5 Second recovery (Half of our Instance Leech)
Max Instances of 10 Hit: (200 / (20 * .5)) = 20 Hits/Second

What this means is you will never hit you cap with this damage, since the instances are so short and damage is so small. If you are instead hitting 10,000 Damage per hit with 10% leech it will result in the following:

Leech Instance: 20 Life/Second
Maximum Life Leech: 200 Life/Second
Leech: 10% of Damage
Damage: 10,000

Instance Duration = (1000 / (1000 * .02)) = 1000 / 20 = 50 Seconds

With this damage output, you will greatly be exceeding your Leech Rate per Second and will be at your Maximum Leech Rate per Second (200 Life / Second) within 10 hits. This means you will need to either increase the Maximum Life Leech Rate of your character, or reduce the investment in the Life Leech % of your Damage. This Cap can be modified by investments that provide #% of maximum Life per second to maximum Life Leech rate.

The Slayer Ascendancy provides +10% of Maximum Life per second to Maximum Life Leech Rate, meaning you will now have a cap of 30% of your Life Recovered per Second, vs the original 20%. This means that you can now take advantage of more instances of Life Leech. From our 10,000 damage example, we can now have 15 instances before we are at our leech cap.

So ultimately Leech, you will only want to be investing just enough Leech % to hit this Maximum Leech Rate within a small portion of hits. As we can see, as the damage increases way past the total maximum health, less Life Leech % is required to hit this cap. Increases to Life Leech per Second also reduce the number of Instances to reach this cap.

"
i heard abaout a cap for life at 1,2 and mana at 0,8. i cant find anything about that caps? are they real, what do they cap?

I assume this is from my Video. These numbers do not infer a cap on the maximum leech % you can get on a character. It is just a reasonable investment into Life Leech % to reach the previous Life Leech Rate, through all of our Life Leech Instances, based on our Damage output.
Just feeding my soul to the Path life.

Youtube: Engineering Eternity
thank you for your detailed answer!

i guess i understand it.

one question is left.

in my char window ingame i see the 3 stats:

main hand life leech from phys attack 1,2%
life leech rate modifier +148%
life leech from attacks 2%

does that mean i leech 3,2 dmg per hit.

and my rate is ~50% of my life? (20 + (20 * 1,48)

it seems that i can nowwhere see the stat that is affected by
so the number that each instance can heal per second

is that right?

Last edited by Cador2 on Apr 26, 2017, 1:57:06 PM
No, unfortunately, that's a bit mixed up

the rate at which you practically leech is not a constant (unless you have Instant Leech or the game makers add in some source of 1800% increased leech rate), it "ramps up" as you gain stacks, so you leech slow at first and then fast in sustained combat

3,2% of your damage is indeed the total amount of a single leech instance (stack)

the rate of a single stack is 2% * (2,48) or as you wrote it 2% + (2% * 1,48), so 4.96% of your max life per second

20% is the "top speed" or "cap" hence when you have added to maximum leech rate that is what that number affects so if your duration is long enough (3,2% of enough damage) then that's your sustained rate, so if you have +10% then in sustained combat you recover 30% of your max life per second
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
ahh ok thank you.

i used path of building for the first time, and it seems quite helpful.

my question is with the figures below:

i can leech at max at 231/s with a max rate of 1632.
so that means i can create 7 instaces, for a total of 1617.

why is he saying 6,4 instances is max?
Last edited by Cador2 on Apr 26, 2017, 2:49:00 PM
i haven't used Path of Building but from the screenshot it looks like your dps is not high enough to reach max leech, note it says 6.4 is "average instances" not max instances, basically the first instance runs out before you reach 7 instances (leech duration is not infinite)

if you increase damage or x% of damage leeched, duration will be higher so 1st instance won't run out before you reach 7

if you increase "increased leech rate" or your Attacks per Second, you will reach higher instance count sooner, so you will reach 7 before your 1st instance runs out
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
To hit leech rate cap, your have to hit maximum leech rate, which in this case, you are only hitting 1476/1632.

This is due to you having lower DPS than what needed to hit said cap. Notice "Maximum leech rate against one target". This is your DPS check right here. 6.4 instances is how much leech you can generate with your current level of damage. Note that this is "Against a single target", since multiple target give you multiple instances of leech.

So, this is not something you would have to worry about because more often than not, you are hitting multiple targets. However you should look into increasing your damage.

My builds:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1809378 - Lazor Inqusitor
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1781498 - Burning Arrow Raider
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1800999 - Perfect Formless Inferno Slayer
I have not made many build that do leech. From what I've seen, a few hundred leech per second is pretty pathetic compared to builds that I've had over 1k life regen. Does leech ever scale up that high?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info