Best Life Flasks for HC?

Hi guys,

I was wondering if you could help me decide on flasks for HC. I saw threads mentioning Divine/Hallowed flasks as being better than Eternals, so I'm a bit confused.

Right now I'm using:

The first two (I forgot to quality one) would heal 2496 HP over 2.7 seconds for a "quick" heal.

The third one would do 2496 HP over 4 seconds (same HP, but for a "slow" heal).

A Divine flask does 2880 over 7 seconds.

I see people using Bubbling and Seething life flasks. Are these really better than the above ones?

Thanks for the help :>
Character limit of 300 characters exceeded
Content can not exceed 5 lines in length
Last bumped on Sep 22, 2017, 11:55:13 AM
"
Darksagex wrote:

I see people using Bubbling and Seething life flasks. Are these really better than the above ones?

Yes, instant heals are OP, this is also why people say that CI/GR/VP is overpowered

(If and when you decide to go for Bubbling/Seething flasks, switch over to Divine as it has the highest base amount)
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
So instant recovery is better than a slightly slower heal? Even if the amounts healed are different?

Thanks!
If you are playing HC, you shouldn't need to use your healing flasks. That's right, if you're hitting the healing flasks often enough that charges are a problem, you'll soon die. The only reason to keep healing flasks in your inventory is 1 or 2 instant heal flasks for oh shit moments - which should be rare.

If and when the situation arises where you have to spam the instant healing flasks, hit the piano and get the fuck out of there, whatever made you spam the healing flasks can and will kill you if you don't evacuate.

These are my current character's two flasks, I keep the instant as an oh shit button and the slower one for the occasional damage over time which does manage to lower my hitpoints a little.

There are no rules set in stone, but it's generally strongly recommended to have at least one flask with an instant healing component or full instant heal, even if it's at diminished values. You don't need it to sustain yourself through normal fights, you need it as an emergency button.

Also, the bleed removal is nice, but it's a good idea to have a utility flask with an anti-bleed mod as it will keep up throughout the flask's duration and prevent you from gaining new bleed stacks from stuff like corrupting blood and the dual striker in Atziri's trio. The anti-bleed healing flasks remove the bleed once and then typically their effect ends as you're healed up, which leaves you vulnerable to new bleeds.

The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Apr 24, 2017, 7:13:20 AM
"
Bars wrote:
Advice

Thanks for the tips.

I don't use the healing flasks that often at the moment, I have decent mitigation and regen but things like traps and harder hits tend to hurt. I am starting to get into T6 maps and am noticing I am taking more damage than at lower levels.

I nearly ripped in a Zana Torture Chamber yesterday (boss) because of the insane damage I was receiving and I noticed my flasks were barely out regenning the damage she was doing.

Right now I'm using:

My only movement skill is whirling blades so I don't really rely on quicksilver flasks.

Ideally I'd like to have 1 or two bleeding flasks and a freezing flask as well.

Just trying to avoid the big resurrect button :(
My entire flask setup:

A few comments about yours: first off, you have no instant flask. This is a problem. I would strongly recommend to have at least one instant flask. Second, IMO three healing flasks are overkill. As I said, you shouldn't be using your healing flasks often, so you don't really need more than two. I can easily play with just one, I almost never use it anyway. I regard even my two as a bit of an overkill.

About the utility mods: there are three important mods to have on your flasks - freeze, bleed and curse removal. Of these three, the bleed and curse removal are best kept on utility flasks to have a window of 4-5 seconds of immunity. The freeze mod can be on a healing flask as it's mostly used to open freezing strongboxes, where you just need it once. I would prefer to have movement speed on my quicksilver and freezing on one of my healing flasks, I just haven't gotten around to rerolling them yet.

You can keep a cold resist flask with a chill/freeze mod to swap out and use only against specific bosses like Merveil or for the occasional Haast spawn in a map.

What I would do with your flasks? You have two unique flasks, which leaves you with space for three others. Ideally, I would want one instant divine flask of heat, one healing flask of staunching (or a utility flask of staunching, say, a sulphur) and one utility flask of warding (that's the anti-curse mod).

The warding mod is super helpful against rogue exiles with vulnerability and hexfont rare mobs.

About the Torture Chamber boss: Shock and Horror is meant to be either kited around or killed in 1-2 seconds. The lazer is the heavy source of damage, and it cannot be blocked as it's damage over time. It has a 20-second cooldown, so the safe approach is to run around and wait for the lazer, immediately hide behind a column to interrupt it, and then go DPS mode on the boss in the 20-second window. It's not really meant to be facetanked, unless your build is pretty damn strong. I think it's around 4000 unblockable lightning damage per second, and if your character managed to stay alive through this, flasks or no flasks, it's a pretty good test of tankability.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Apr 24, 2017, 7:49:23 AM
"
Bars wrote:
My entire flask setup:

A few comments about yours: first off, you have no instant flask. This is a problem. I would strongly recommend to have at least one instant flask. Second, IMO three healing flasks are overkill. As I said, you shouldn't be using your healing flasks often, so you don't really need more than two. I can easily play with just one, I almost never use it anyway. I regard even my two as a bit of an overkill.

About the utility mods: there are three important mods to have on your flasks - freeze, bleed and curse removal. Of these three, the bleed and curse removal are best kept on utility flasks to have a window of 4-5 seconds of immunity. The freeze mod can be on a healing flask as it's mostly used to open freezing strongboxes, where you just need it once. I would prefer to have movement speed on my quicksilver and freezing on one of my healing flasks, I just haven't gotten around to rerolling them yet.

You can keep a cold resist flask with a chill/freeze mod to swap out and use only against specific bosses like Merveil or for the occasional Haast spawn in a map.

What I would do with your flasks? You have two unique flasks, which leaves you with space for three others. Ideally, I would want one instant divine flask of heat, one healing flask of staunching (or a utility flask of staunching, say, a sulphur) and one utility flask of warding (that's the anti-curse mod).

The warding mod is super helpful against rogue exiles with vulnerability and hexfont rare mobs.

About the Torture Chamber boss: Shock and Horror is meant to be either kited around or killed in 1-2 seconds. The lazer is the heavy source of damage, and it cannot be blocked as it's damage over time. It has a 20-second cooldown, so the safe approach is to run around and wait for the lazer, immediately hide behind a column to interrupt it, and then go DPS mode on the boss in the 20-second window. It's not really meant to be facetanked, unless your build is pretty damn strong. I think it's around 4000 unblockable lightning damage per second, and if your character managed to stay alive through this, flasks or no flasks, it's a pretty good test of tankability.

Hehe I'll try and rework the flasks a bit when I get home. I'll go for at least 2 life. I'd like to incorporate blind in my build somehow but if not I'll use a flask.

As for Shock and Horror, I'm used to just running in and dpsing him down with minions with other chars lol. The HC build I am playing has max block with Rumi's and about 200 life regen per second as well as MoM. I think if damage mods were involved I would have died, but I think it only had added cold.

Guess I won't be doing that boss anymore :>
"
Darksagex wrote:

Hehe I'll try and rework the flasks a bit when I get home. I'll go for at least 2 life. I'd like to incorporate blind in my build somehow but if not I'll use a flask.

A cheap solution is CwdT lvl 1 - Tempest Shield - Blind. Or reckoning - blind. The more block and spell block you have, the more reliable it is. I don't use it only because I actually want stuff to be hitting me, I heal on block and trash mobs are a source of healing.

Shock and Horror - if you can't DPS him down in no time, it's a bit hairy for HC. Doable with practice, but, well, unpleasant. The safest approach it so skip him indeed. The map layout is terrible anyway. I only run Torture Chamber if I have no other choice, like in a Zana mission.
Last edited by Bars on Apr 24, 2017, 9:48:56 AM
Personal opinion - I have doubts about the actual effectiveness of the instant flask.
The reason is the low amount recovered, usually unable to back you up if you take a sequence of hits which happens too often (and lategame everythings hurts), or when affected by degen. These flasks also get easily depleted in hard fights, urging you to tp back. Instant flasks are not optimal for the lab as well. They work perfectly fine only if you have good timing and great sustain in addition.

I personally prefer these

I also find divine flasks superior to others.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Apr 24, 2017, 10:07:54 AM
"
Bars wrote:
"
Darksagex wrote:

A cheap solution is CwdT lvl 1 - Tempest Shield - Blind. Or reckoning - blind. The more block and spell block you have, the more reliable it is. I don't use it only because I actually want stuff to be hitting me, I heal on block and trash mobs are a source of healing.

Shock and Horror - if you can't DPS him down in no time, it's a bit hairy for HC. Doable with practice, but, well, unpleasant. The safest approach it so skip him indeed. The map layout is terrible anyway. I only run Torture Chamber if I have no other choice, like in a Zana mission.

Not sure I can put it in at the moment :/

My Links are:

Reckoning - Curse on Hit - Warlord's Mark - Enfeeble
CWDT - Immortal Call - Bone Offering (low level) - Tempest Shield

The idea is to curse on block and when I take damage to proc Bone Offering (if corpses are around) which gives block as well as tempest shield.

You can take a look at my char, Valriana, and let me know what you think.

For Ele Weakness maps I use
to stay overcapped.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info