[2.6] RF Occultist Build Deceivingly strong!

Welcome To My Low Life Occultist Build Guide:

*Warning if you are on a Budget turn back now this build can and will cost you 5-20 exalted orbs*

So I have noticed a large amount of Guardian RF builds popping up recently, However I have always felt the Occultist class was an extremely strong contender... And So I designed a build with better Damage and is slightly less tanky for those of you who feel like your Time is decaying while you stand near bosses with RF.

In this guide I will show you: The gear, play-style, Tree and some stats. I may Add some videos at some point depending on popularity.

Part 1: Theory

Ascendancy
So to start off Why would we pick Occultist over a Guardian? Well its simple really... The witch is sexier and of-course the damage its a nice bonus, huehuehue!

1:

Malediction Gives us +1 curse this is great for damage and sustain depending which curse we choose. However on top of this it provides some serious damage for us: It grants us 4% of our total damage added on per curse which will add up to 12% Of our damage as extra chaos damage (*tested to be working*)

2:

Profane Bloom again offers us damage if one mob in the pack dies it grants a chance to explode for a large amount of chaos damage, which instantly clears packs as a kind of RNG based kill/clear method, However it also Give s a solid 10% damage against cursed enemies (which is basically a more multiplier in function as the damage applies globally to them when its is damage taken by rather than increased damage) (this works exactly the same as the intimidate debuff)

3:

Wicked Ward Gives us some defense it gives us a flat 100 ES which basically ends up giving us a huge amount more via out % ES on gear and tree. The interruption thing is to be ignored we take damage constantly due to degen and is therefor a useless stat.

4:

Vile Bastion: This is easily our most effective Node here It offers us stun immunity for if we are first starting and don't have a presence or eye of chayula and also offers us 0.5 es regen per sec if we have killed recently. This means that If we kill we get 0.5% Energy Shield regen per second for 4 second and this effect can stack infinitely. This effect as i will discuss later allows us to run just about any map mod if we are efficient enough.

Pros:
> Extremely efficient clearing if you curse mobs.
> Strong defense especially in packs.
> Offers us solid base stats to make up for mediocre items early on.
Cons:
> A few dead stats that are barely useful to us (such as the interrupt ES thing)
> Play style can feel a bit Clunky and will take getting use to.
> Easy to overestimate your Effective life regen if you walk into packs and don't manage to kill anything

Passive Tree
Ok so here is the tree in final form (level 98 or so):
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAMBAAFvBg4HHgn2C2EMXw18DkgRLxFQEZYSaRVQFX4XHBcvGFYYahslHKcc3B0UHaoi9CSwJognqSftKPoqjSsKLKYvbzQKNbk22DdmN4M5UjwtPV9Bh0J6RnFJG0lRS65SU1OlVdZWSFfJWAdboFxrXIpd8mTnaHRo8mwLbRlwu3F5enB8Dnzwfll_xoCkgseDCYNfg8yESIt6jxqPRo_6kQeSdJMnlKCVLpf0mK2boaEvpuunCKcrp1WsmK9stAy3MLc-uJO7_L6Kw23E9sauxvfK09R82CTZE9lb2mLa3d-K4Yji9-ha6QLquuvu7BjsVfDV8Wz3wffX-ej60v5J

Now for some explaining. This tree in its current state is what you aim for in final Build However You can change a number of things to your personal taste You may drop the fire cluster to the far north of the tree for pure ES nodes as well as 1% extra max fire ress This helps me a lot with guardians However if you are simply farming shaped strand and other maps The extra damage would be far more useful as the build is tanky enough to sustain even the roughest of mods/league-stones.

Leveling:

In terms of leveling you will want to grab as much life while staying as close to the tree's pathing as possible You will later re-spec this life into Energy shield nodes but while leveling you will want the life to avoid perma stun and make you more efficient time wise.

While we level we will want to use fire trap and/or Freezing pulse Util we hit level 35-45 depending when they feel weak. When this happens you will switch to either incinerate or firestorm with a flame totem for support and around level 68 you can re-spec to RF If you have gotten all the life regen nodes on your tree and the sufficient gear.

An example of a leveling tree:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAMBAAceCPQLYQxfDXwNzRFQEZYVfhslHKcczhzcIvQnqSj6K1A1uTwtQYdCekPIRZ1JUUmxS65TUlOlV8lboGjyakNsC20ZenB8Dnzwfll_xoLHg1-DzI8akQeSdJMnlS6a4KEvpyunVa9sr6e0DLc-uJO7_LzqvorAVMT2xq7G98rT18_ZW9-K6QLquuvu74jw1fk3-ej-VA==

Jewels

- Required to use the same setup as Myself (However you can use level 21 Blood magic and level 4 enlighten or use a 20 and 3 with the Vertex Vaal mask for blood magic auras there are several other way but they are essence based and we don't want to touch that)

Any other gems Will Do its up to You Preferably you will want to Look for Strength and dexterity to take the nodes out the tree as well as % ES, Elemental/spell crit for orb of storms and Fire/global/Area/Over Time damage is always helpful.NO SPELL DAMAGE!

Example Jewel:

Defense Stats

Defensive stats with bad rares

Defensive stats with Good rares But (still Plenty of room for growth)

With top end rares We should be able to cap out at 15k ES and with 21 disipline and a 600 es shield maybe up to 16k

Part 2: STUFF!

Core Gear

Finally the Part You have all been waiting for! You probably skipped ahead without reading you lazy dog! but oh well.. Here you go.

^^Pretty Self explanatory 50% ES is Amazing no matter how you put it^^

^^Again pretty Self Explanatory It keeps Us healthy while we take burn damage and gives us some mobility and ress^^

^^Here there are Multiple options available to you I Will explain in the next spoiler Look for a hubris with an RF lab enchant if possible or just High ES/ress^^

^^If you have to ask why It gives ES and makes the chaos snakes not kill you^^

^^Ideally here you will want some High ES 30%More damage over time Essence crafted gloves with Essence of Delirium But they can be expensive and aren't 100% necessary If since our ascendancy allows us extra damage anyway^^

^^Needs a decent ES and at least 20% Move speed Ress is also nice (I have better just waiting on colouring)Also if you can get the colouring right swap phys to lightning for culling strike.^^

^^Not 100% required there are other Amazing options But a crystal will benefit you more if you need resistance^^

^^+3 unset is 200% required it gives us a 1% max fire ress at level 20 gem other stats are secondary to +3 level of socketed gems^^

^^This makes up for the %ES regen we Loose from a Guardian ascendancy However at the cost of your sanity.. um I mean mana but its ok check the flask section for details Make sure its in the RIGHT slot... Get it ? so punny!^^

^^Huge ES boost stun immunity Hard stats Why not its great!^^

Gear Honorable Mentions

^^This sword gives us 100% increased global damage And is a sutable replacement for the other weapon if you can still maintain over 10k ES^^

^^If your purity is not level 20 yet or you don't have a +3 Unset This one is your man he will be viable until you swap out^^

^^A budget Chayula But its not even close to being as good as it^^

^^I personally prefer Auxium to a Crystal for the Reduction to freeze chance but I needed the ress^^

^^Also a VERY good choice it helps your vaal discipline regen gives you a lot of ES and a bit of damage and its very budget friendly!^^

^^Any ES shield with the leo crafted mod -20% damage taken from damage over time. These can roll up to 600 ES and can be nice but you will burn for more damage than the one listed in the gear section.^^

^^Oh for the love of God my eyes Hurt!But yes Its usable, No you wont be red map viable if you wear it^^

^^You can use a level 19 Blood magic and level 2 enlighten in it for your x2 auras on life and it will not cost a jewel in your tree.(if you have all the reduced aura nodes In the passive tree linked above)^^
As a replacement for that Helm you can use an essence on a hubris for -mana reserved however I feel The vertex is better as you get More ES usually as well as chaos res and many other nice stats!

If you can get them... Skyforths are dank

Gem Setups

There are many many ways to setup your gems but this is what I use:

Righteous Fire:
You will almost always want the Righteous fire in your gloves as it will sit there Until you get the 30% more damage over time essence craft gloves.

The last two are swapped around conc. effect for bosses, Inc. AoE for packs.

Curse on hit & EE/EO proc setup:
Well There is no-ware else to put it it has to go in the chest:

I throw Vaal discilpine in the last socket to save space for other setups howver if you have 230 Exalt to throw at a +1 chayula or a mirror Throw in a a final curse and 6l the shavs ( Iwould suggest Ele weakness)

Shield charge:
I put this in my weapon its easy to colour and if you need cull just swap faster attacks mid fight

Blood magic auras:
I put these In my helmet mostly because Its easier when you swap from a vertex mask or an essence craft helmet.

If You are still using a vertex I highly suggest puting vitality in here for extra regen instead of purity of lightning.

Mana Auras and random stuff:
I put these in my boots the reason is so that I can switch my weapons to the offhand for a portal gem. I aint got time for portal scrolls lol.

Purity of Fire:
ALWAYS in ring. Why? you may ask. +3 socketed gems at a level 20 gem will give you 1% max fire ress extra and if its a lower level gem use a voideye for a similar effect.

Extra optional stuff:
I would Highly suggest one of these setups in your shield:

For sustain you can use:

I use this in fights with High physical damage to help mitigate the lack of armour we have

For damage:/ (I'd highly suggest this one for shaper, phoenix and hydra in specific).

Why scorching ray you may ask? It is degen so it cannot proc elemental Equilirium and effect our DPS negatively, secondly it scales on the same damage type as our RF its a Degen fire spell. thirdly it reduces the targets fire resistance for us overtime This is a huge damage buff considering we already have so much pen from flamability and a possible wise oak flask as well as ele weakness if your rich.

Vaal Skills:
Its always a safe bet to add more of these its super helpful if you screw up and need an instant savior You could also use vaal grace for dodge:)

Other setups:
its up to your personal preference really an immortal call CWDT setup can be used here as could an ice-wall totem and many others feel free to put whatever you like really.

Flasks

RF is amazing you can use so many different flasks However the setup I use for end game mapping is:

Breakdown:

1) 2 Rubies:
The first two flasks explain themselves. They work as pseudo life flasks allowing us to regen quicker (due to more fire ress). However It must be noted one of them should be an Of staunching and the other should be an Of Heat to remove bleeds and Freezes.

2) Anything really:
This flask is up to you Witchfire brew is also pretty good however I like the ability to phase in-case I shield charge into Large packs and get blocked in. It also gives us dodge However I recently have considered a Rumi's here for block and armour. ( you could also use a Vinktars but it would screw up your Elemental equilibriumand we gain shock though vaal lightning trap)

3) Sulphur Flask:
This doesn't have to be the unique however I believe this unique is overpowered as it allows us to upkeep all our other flasks with ease as well as offering us 40% increased damage and Life regen via consecrated ground. its non optional unless you wish to replace it with a self rolled Sulphur flask!

4) Divination distillate:
WTF! you may say but who doesn't like 5% max fire ress and mana regen to counter our Shavs ring with a lovely iiq and iir buff. I'm certainly not complaining. For boss-fights however you may want to consider a standard mana flask for more uptime (ie shaper/council and other long winded fights with low adds)

Aura Setup

https://poe.mikelat.com/#rWWorBCd/RISn.f_/9b.vDe

There are numerous ways to do the blood magic setup. You can use a vaal vertex mask with level 3 enlighten and level 20 blood magic so you do not have to use the jewel in the jewel section. you may also essence craft a helmet with the reduced mana reservation of socketed helm gems. if you are really on a budget you could use a alphas howl but I would not suggest this at all.

The rest will run on mana and If you can reduce the mana reservation a bit more you can actually run arctic armour and still cast shield charge if you somehow get more by using the gem and a different shield craft however its benefit I feel is not worth a jewel and helmet socket.

The reason I have chosen to run purities is to make us near invunerable to elemental damage we can tank bearers we can tank a couple hits from guardians and Normal Atziri is actually just a joke to us. Aside from that we cannot live without purity of fire or discipline and vitality is simply very useful to us. you can swap these auras out however its not advised as they hel us cap our resists But you may for example swap out 2 purities in a physical based fight for the armour or evasion aura:)

Our aura effect make our auras way stronger than the skill tool-tip will initially read so be aware of it.

Part 3: The "You" Factor

Playstyle

Agression:
> Use Shield charge or orb of storms to proc Elemental overload and Elemental Equilibrium(shield charge only with phys to lightning support)
> When you over level a zone feel free to just run and run mobs will literally just die!
> Keep moving forward sideways backwards upside down just keep moving it will enhance clear speed to drag packs to each-other.
> Play aggressively in solo mapping since your damage is amazing there!
> Keep your Curses up with orb of storms for huge DPS upgrades!
> Play with Increase area of effect In packs and Concentrated Effect gems in bosses.

Defence:
> Again keep moving mobs will find it harder to hit you while you burn them to death
> Use flasks All the time roll your finger on 1-2-3-4-5 and keep moving forward in packs.
> You are almost immune to elemental damage with 80% all ress and 90% Fire ress But Be careful they sometimes do a lot more damage than you think. (looks towards frost bares in beyond sea witch maps)
> In boss fights run circles around the boss To stop their attacks and attempt to aggro them on your golem.
> If you know the Boss has a tough phase Prepare ahead RF is about conservation. Not regeneration! Place a Life regen totem re summon your dead golem place a vaal lightning trap curse the boss with orb of storms and prepare to pop your flask! If it's a really bad situation use vaal discipline.

Mapping

In Terms of Mods You dont wanna play the only one is NO REGEN of life/es/mana The minus max ress and reduced life/es/mana regen are doable for this build Provided you are efficient and kill packs with-in 20 seconds of each-other. You can also do -max ress and no regen together if you clear Very quickly through packs using rise of the phoenix but you better hope you can burst the boss with vaal lightning trap before vaal discipline ends if it is a single target encounter. I have personally done a Abyss map with temp chains Minus max ress and Less regeneration mods and still come out on top just to test how good the build actually was at clearing maps.

So Far I have killed Phoenix and Hydra on Corrupted yellow variants of the maps with this build however got 1 shot by a double monster 100% added damage mod Minotaur with extra life and unique boss damage (serves me right for being cocky really) and am yet to try chimera yet.

Personal Preferences

There are a few things here and there you can do to the build to make it better or worse most of them have been mentioned through the Guide but feel free to experiment with things such as the chaos immunity flask and beast-fur shawl and other such shenanigans.

Part 4: Conclusion

I spent all of my leagues currency to finally build something good and At level 80 I was already clearing tier 15 maps.{Edit below} however I have not yet progressed to guardians or Shaper myself.{/edit} It is both Atziri and Uber Viable and Absolutely loves to farm lab. It struggles slightly(as in cant near 1 shot packs anymore) in groups of players as mob HP is increased and you Hp pool stays the same regardless of how may people there are However the auras and utility it provides allows it to still carry its weight.

{Edited section} I have cleared Phoenix and Hydra and attempted an extremely RIP double 100% extra montser damage+ unique boss damage Minotaur in which I got 1 shot by an auto-attack. I am yet to try chimera as I need to learn its mechanics first and then will attempt shaper:).

Feel Free to contact me in-game with any questions Ill usually be on my character Add_Blocker or Loomf, I'd be more than willing to answer any questions there. This was my first Guide so I must apologize to the Grammar Nazi's for any mistakes I've made and for the meh layout. Any feedback is appreciated! :)
Last edited by Loomfies on Apr 28, 2017, 11:14:48 PM
Last bumped on Apr 23, 2017, 8:32:19 PM
Reserved!
Reserved as well D:
Does the extra damage gained from the Malediction ascendancy work with RF? Seems like it wouldn't since you aren't dealing damage technically.
I tested with and without the ascendancy and it Was faster by about 2 seconds on killing voll in dried lake
Hmmm interesting. Could this just be due to the extra curse from Malediction or did you isolate that possibility out? Just checked in Path of Building and the damage does not change (if no curses are applied, obviously with 3 curses on then Malediction would give a buff because otherwise the mob could only have 2 curses if you unspec out of Malediction). Sorry to be picky, just trying to figure out which source is correct.
So what I did to exactly to test it was: I ran 1 curse. I ran enfeeble both times once with and once without the passive. and the damage happened to be more with the passive applied:) Path of building probably just doesn't support it yet for the RF Since I noticed a huge diff in damage when i first got the Point in the tree too.
Last edited by Loomfies on Jul 31, 2019, 10:41:55 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info