[3.0 SC/HC] Aixx's indepth HoWA ST Raider Guide ♣ [ Shaper | Guardians | U. Atziri ]

After 4 years of playing Path of Exile I finally decided to create my first build.
This build is really powerful as a Raider because you get so much damage, movement- and attack speed from your 7 frenzy charges. The Raider also provides elemental status immunity and phasing.

Since ES was overhauled with 3.0, the old CI build is no longer up to date.
Down below is a spoiler including the 2.6 version.

Try to get as much INT, DEX and STR as possible.
We need it to make ↓ effective.

This new unique belt allows us to leech both life and ES! Its a great belt for hybrid builds.

Pros:
+ Cheap (even cheaper than before)
+ Great against bosses - Hit bosses up to 5 times per Procetile!
+ Very nice clearspeed, especially with that helm entchant
+ High effective HP, HC viable with MoM

Cons:
- Requires INT on almost all pieces of gear
- Not the best leaguestarter due to the fact that HoWA is a breach unique

Skilltree

Level ~25
Get Ballistic Mastery, go into the Duelist area and get Vitality Void and life for leveling.

Level ~45
Get Art of the Gladiator, Trickery and more life.

Level ~65

Level ~85

endgame trees
HC (with MoM)

SC (max DPS)

Leveling

Leveling guide

This is how I leveled my char and it was very smooth and fast.
Try to get some ES gear, you will need it with level 67+ if you want to respec into CI.
Start as a Ranger and equip your Goldrim, Wanderslust and Lochtonial Caress.
Get Frost Blades as your Hillok reward and use it until you killed Brutus.
Now you should equip your Tabula Rasa and swap to Spectral Throw, link it to Lesser Multiple Projectiles and Added Cold Damage.

At level 22 you can equip your Astramentis and both Hand of Thought and Motion, this will carry you until level 68 where you just have to upgrade your claws into HoWA with 1x Blessing of Esh.
Act 2: you will get Faster Attacks and Weapon Elemental Damage just add it to your setup.
Act 3: Do your library quest to unlock every gem you need (except for Enlighten) from Siosa, here you can remove your Added Cold Damage gem and add Lightning Penetration and Elemental Focus.
Act 4: Swap Greater Multiple Projectiles for Lesser Multiple Projectiles and dont forget your Slower Projectiles gem against bosses. You will oneshot everything anyway but you will need it later.

Items I recommend for leveling

The items I recommend for a good leveling experience:

Ascendency Points

Way of the poacher > Avatar of the slaughter > Quartz infusion > Avatar of the veil

Bandits

[Act 2] Deal with the Bandits: Kill all Bandits for 2 skillpoints

2 Skillpoints are way better than 6% attack and movementspeed from Kratlyn, which would be the second best choice.

Screenshots
coming soon

Panhteon

Against Bosses: Soul of the Brine King + Soul of Gruthkul
For Mapping: Soul of the Brine King + Soul of Yugul

Soul of the Brine King: to prevent stunlock
Soul of Yugul: for reflect protection
Soul of Gruthkul: for physical damage reduction

Current Gear

Gear explanation

Weapons
Nothing to say here, this build wont work without this Claw. Try to get 11%+ intelligence on it. Get it 2 times.
Helmet
Get an ES-based helmet with INT, life, resist if possible. The entchant "30% reduced Spectral Throw Projectile Deceleration" lets you hit bosses up to 5 times PER Projectile. Try to get this entchant, its awesome against bosses and for clearspeed!

Chest piece
Get an ES-based chest with INT, life, resist. You will need 200 chromatics on average for GGBBRR sockets.
Gloves
Great Gloves :) Get "Curse enemies with Elemental Weakness on hit" if possible.
Boots
Get an ES-based helmet with INT, life, resist. Movement Speed isnt too important since we are using Whirling Blades. Flat Lightning Damage or 10% elemental penetration as your entchant.
Belt
Great Belt for hybrid builds, get high Int.
Amulet
Astramentis is a very good item for this build especially for Shapers Touch, it gives you up to 116 INT/DEX and STR. You also dont need to care about your gem/gear requirements. A very good rare Amulet with Elemental Damage with Attacks, 90+ INT and ES can be better.
Rings
Get your missing resists, life, Weapon Elemental Damage and INT.

Flasks

Atziris Promise is great for extra Chaos Damage and life leech.
Vessel of Vinktar provides you great leech and extra damage. This flask shocks you and nearby enemies (nearby enemies get 10% increased damage). As a Raider, you are immune to status ailments which includes shock. I recommend to get adds dmg to attacks here but the 10% lightning penetration variant is nice too
Thats a very cheap and very good flask. 10-15% Lightning Penetration if your lightning resistance is the highest of all 3. Try to get the same amount of uncapped fire, cold and lightning resist. For example: If you have 140% fire, 140% cold and 140% lightning resist, you will get the offensive and the defensive buff of every element.
Onslaught and Anti-curse flask. Onslaught: 20% movement-, attack- and castspeed.
Jade Flask gives us 3000 flat Evasion, this will boost us up to 50%+ chance to evade since we have so much %evasion.

Gems

Attack Skill: Spectral Throw, Greater Multiple Projectiles / Slower Projectiles,
Elemental Damage with Attacks, Elemental Focus > Lightning Penetration > Damage on Full Life

Mobility: Whirling Blades, Fortify, Faster Attacks

CWDT Setup: Cast when damage taken (leveled), Immortal Call, Ancestral Protector, Lightning Golem

Aura: Enlighten, Wrath, Herald of Thunder, Empower

Utility: Orb of Storms, Curse on Hit, Conductivity, Culling Strike

Weapon: Vaal Haste, Increased Duration,

Jewels

You will have 6 Jewel sockets.

2x Fertile Mind

3-Mod Jewels poe.trade.link
4-Mod Jewels poe.trade.link

coming soon

Map Mods

Map mods you can't run:
Elemental Reflect

Others:
Temporal Chains: this slows your attack and movementspeed down, annoying but you can run it.
No life/mana leech: You can run this mod using a mana flask until t14 maps. I recommend to reroll this mod if your gear isnt that good or if you want to run t15+ maps.

Atlas shaping guide

A lot of people like to run shaped dunes/shaped strand/shaped spider forest/shaped shore all day long to farm currency and level up very fast. In this short guide I want to show you how this works.

t1 - t9: Complete every map to get more bonus objectives*
t10 - t13: Do you want to farm currency or level?
t14 - t17: Complete every map to get more bonus objectives*

currency

The best way to farm currency right now (if you dont want to flip) is to run shaped spider forest with 1 white and 2 yellow sextants and a breach, onslaught and nemesis leaguestone.
This map can drop a "the doctor" divination card (8 cards for an headhunter).

You can also farm yellow Dunes/Strand maps with a Breach Leaguestone to get some nice currency AND xp.

t10: The only t10 map you want to have is shaped dunes
t11: The only t11 map you want to have is shaped spider forest
t12: Dont complete any t12 map - if a map drops for t12 and you dont have any t12 complete, it will lose 1 tier and will drop as your t11 map (which is shaped spider forest)
t13: The only t13 map you want to have is shaped shore. The t11 boss can drop t13 maps.

level

The best way to level up very fast right now is to run shaped shore with 4 yellow and 1 red sextant and a bloodlines, beyond, nemesis leaguestone and the map device beyond mod.
If your gear isnt good enough you should farm shaped dunes/strand without sextants.

You can also farm yellow Dunes/Strand maps with a Breach Leaguestone to get some nice currency AND xp.

t10: The only t10 map you want to have is shaped dunes
t11: The only t11 map you want to have is shaped strand
t12: Dont complete any t12 map - if a map drops for t12 and you dont have any t12 complete, it will lose 1 tier and will drop as your t11 map (which is shaped strand)
t13: The only t13 map you want to have is shaped shore. The t11 boss can also drop t13 maps.

*bonus objectives: each bonus objective you complete increases the chance for maps to drop 1 tier higher by 1%
To get a bonus objective you need to complete the map and its specific bonus:
White maps (t1 - t5): kill boss of magic or higher version of the map
Yellow maps (t6 - t10): kill boss of rare version of the map
Red maps (t11 - t17): kill boss of corrupted rare version of this map

Q&A

Feel free to ask me anything about the build ingame or here in this thread.

old 2.6 CI version of this build

Hey Guys, after 4 years of playing Path of Exile I finally decided to create my first build.
This build is really powerful as a Raider because you get so much damage, movement- and attack speed from your 8 frenzy charges. The Raider also provides elemental status immunity and phasing.

With this build you can clear maps and kill any boss in this game very fast and safe, If you know what to do of course.

Important: this build wont work without Hand of Wisdom and Action (HoWA)

Pros:
+ Great clear speed
+ Good single target damage
+ Dont need to swap gems for t1 - t14 bosses
+ Pretty tanky: 8k+ energy shield
+ At higher gear levels you can facetank a lot

Cons:
- A bit expensive
- Requires INT on almost all pieces of gear
- Requires a faster playstyle

Skilltree

Level ~20
Go into the Shadow area and get Coldhearted Calculation and life for leveling.

Level ~40
Go into the Duelist start area and get Art of the Gladiator and more life.

Level ~68 BEFORE CI
Get leech here and prepare your switch to CI

Level ~68 AFTER CI Respec all your life[/b] and skill CI, if you have 4000+ Energyshield from Gear.

Endgame Tree
Arcing Blows > Elemental Overlaod > Acuity > Primeval Force > Forces of Nature > Coordination > Primal Spirit

You will need 3x Fertile Mind

Leveling

Leveling guide

This is how I leveled my char and it was very smooth and fast.
Try to get some ES gear, you will need it with level 67+ if you want to respec into CI.
Start as a Ranger and equip your Goldrim, Wanderslust and Lochtonial Caress.
Get Frost Blades as your Hillok reward and use it until you killed Brutus.
Now you should equip your Tabula Rasa and swap to Spectral Throw, link it to Lesser Multiple Projectiles and Added Cold Damage.

At level 22 you can equip your Astramentis and both Hand of Thought and Motion, this will carry you until level 68 where you just have to upgrade your claws into HoWA with 1x Blessing of Esh.
Act 2: you will get Faster Attacks and Weapon Elemental Damage just add it to your setup.
Act 3: Do your library quest to unlock every gem you need (except for Enlighten) from Siosa, here you can remove your Added Cold Damage gem and add Lightning Penetration and Elemental Focus.
Act 4: Swap Greater Multiple Projectiles for Lesser Multiple Projectiles and dont forget your Slower Projectiles gem against bosses. You will oneshot everything anyway but you will need it later.

Items I recommend for leveling

The items I recommend for a good leveling experience:

Ascendency Points

Way of the poacher > Avatar of the slaughter > Quartz infusion > Avatar of the veil

Bandits

[Act 2] Deal with the Bandits: Kill all Bandits for 2 skillpoints

2 Skillpoints are way better than 6% attack and movementspeed from Kratlyn, which would be the second best choice.

Current Gear

Gear explanation

Weapon
Nothing to say here, this build wont work without this Claw. Try to get 11%+ intelligence on it.
Shield
Use an Shield with high Energyshield here
Helmet
Here you want at least 300 ES, resist and INT, accuracy is great too if you dont have some on your rings.40% increased spectral throw damage is the best entchant.

Chest piece
Get at least 700 ES and INT on this. A 5link will work but I recommend to get a 6link. This can cost you some chromatics, since you want 3green and 1 red socket on an INT based Item.
Gloves
Get at least 120 ES, INT and some resists here.
Boots
Get at least 150 ES and as much INT and resists as possible again. You dont need movement speed here since we are using whirling Blades 95% of the time. The Raider gets a lot of movement speed anyway if you really want it.16% increased attack speed or 10% elemental penetration as your entchant.

Belt
Crystal Belts are best in slot here, get resists, Elemental Damage with Attacks and of course INT. With decent gear, 40 INT will give you more ES then 40 flat ES.
Amulet
Astramentis is a very good item for this build, it gives you up to 116 INT and thats what we really need for this build. Also you dont need to care about your gem/gear requirements. DEX is also nice for our claws (2% attack speed per 25 dex). A very good rare Amulet with Elemental Damage with Attacks, 90+ INT and ES can be better, but then you will need strength and dexterity somewhere else.
Rings
Get your missing resists, Weapon Elemental Damage, 250+ accuracy on 1 item and INT. ES is good too.

Flasks

Atziris Promise is great for extra Chaos Damage and life leech.
Vessel of Vinktar provides you great leech and extra damage. This flask shocks you and nearby enemies (shock = 50% increased damage taken from all sources). But since we are a Raider, we are immune to status ailments which includes shock. 10% Penetrations is also great. This Flask will give you 6% max. lightning resistance, use it against enemies with elemental reflect.
Thats a very cheap and very good flask. 20% Lightning Penetration if your lightning resistance is the highest of all 3. Try to get the same amount of uncapped fire, cold and lightning resist. For example: you have 140% fire, 140% cold and 140% lightning resist, you will get the offensive and the defensive buff of every element.
Onslaught and Anti-freeze Flask. Onslaught: 20% movement-, attack- and castspeed.
This mana flask here is just a quality of life thing, its nice for maps without mana regeneration and 5 uses with anti-bleed is great too.

Gems

6L: Spectral Throw, Greater Multiple Projectiles / Slower Projectiles,
Elemental Damage with Attacks, Faster Attacks > Lightning Penetration > Elemental Focus

3L: Whirling Blades, Fortify, Faster Attacks

3L: Lightning Golem, Vaal Haste, Vaal Discipline

4L: Cast when damage taken (4), Immortal Call (6), Vortex (7), Conductivity or Enfeeble (7)

4L: Enlighten, Discipline, Wrath, Ancestral Protector (for attack speed buff)

4L: Orb of Storms, Curse on Hit, Conductivity, Increased Critical Strikes

Jewels

With this build you will have 6 Jewel sockets.
Try to get 3x Fertile Mind jewels. You can look into the Skilltree section for more informations about them.

On your 3 rare jewels you want:
- resists
- attack speed
- attack speed while dual wielding
- attack speed with claws
- attack speed with one handed melee weapons
- increased lightning damage
- int

Map Mods

Map mods you can't run:
Elemental Reflect

Others:
Temporal Chains: this slows your attack and movementspeed down, annoying but you can run it.
No life/mana leech: You can run this mod using a mana flask until t14 maps. I recommend to reroll this mod if your gear isnt that good or if you want to run t15+ maps.

Q&A

Is Unwavering Stance really worth it?

It definitely is. Stun immuntiy is so important for this build and most of the other CI builds since so many things can stunlock you to death.
Some good examples are Esh's orbs, Xoph's pillars and the Shaper's golden projectiles, each one of these attacks will stun you to death if you get hit by any of that once.
Also the way to this keystone isnt wasted since we can convert a lot of strength to int and can get the +30 int node.
I highly recommend to get Unwavering Stance.

Feel free to ask me anything about the build ingame or here in this thread.

Path of Building
https://pastebin.com/nm0nzNr5

Twitch: www.twitch.tv/aixx_
IGN: Aixx_Harb
Last edited by Aixx on Sep 13, 2017, 9:15:53 AM
Last bumped on Mar 12, 2018, 12:51:03 AM
Latest updates:

11/09/2017

- Reworked the whole guide.

02/08/2017

- Updated the whole guide for 3.0

02/05/2017

- Made a "Map" section, including "map mods" and a short map shaping guide

Last edited by Aixx on Sep 12, 2017, 5:06:06 PM
Hey,

I tried a HoWA build in Breach and I failed massively. Looking to try it again in Legacy. What kind of content would the budget version be able to do?
Hey m0onknight,

they budget version (less than 10ex) can easily take down the shaper too. Of course you need to know how the fight works, to do that.

For maps like T15 and lower, you really dont need good gear. Just get about 800-1000 Int and 8k ES for that, and you will be fine.

Do you have any idea why your last HoWA build failed?
Last edited by Aixx on Apr 14, 2017, 12:39:20 PM
Awesome. I have about 5ex budget so I'm not sure what to skimp on! I'm currently leveling a character to try this build, did you just use Hands of Thought and Motion until you could use HoWA?

I had even less money to spend when I tried HoWA the last time, so I was quite squishy and didn't have vinktars. The damage was ok, but the survivability was awful.
Can u make some videos pls ? :)
"
Sinnerrr wrote:

Hey :) I just finished the first video. I will upload a shaper kill and some other boss videos until tomorrow.

@m0onknight, i will upload the leveling-guide tomorrow too, but that wont help you for now obviously :S

Hands of Thought and Motion are great for leveling this build until level 68 where you can upgrade your claws and hope for +12% int :)

With 5ex budged you definitely should try to get a 5link chestplate with 700+ ES (20-25c)
I would recommend to get an Astramentis (60-65c), thats great for leveling if you are using mini HoWA and you dont need to care about strength and dex.
You can get decent gloves/boots/helmet/rings for like 20c each, just get your resists and as much INT and ES as possible ;)

Last edited by Aixx on Apr 15, 2017, 11:58:01 AM
"
Aixx wrote:
"
Sinnerrr wrote:

Hey :) I just finished the first video. I will upload a shaper kill and some other boss videos until tomorrow.

@m0onknight, i will upload the leveling-guide tomorrow too, but that wont help you for now obviously :S

Hands of Thought and Motion are great for leveling this build until level 68 where you can upgrade your claws and hope for +12% int :)

With 5ex budged you definitely should try to get a 5link chestplate with 700+ ES (20-25c)
I would recommend to get an Astramentis (60-65c), thats great for leveling if you are using mini HoWA and you dont need to care about strength and dex.
You can get descent gloves/boots/helmet/rings for like 20c each, just get your resists and as much INT and ES as possible ;)

This build works so good !
My Gear
Spoiler
My Gear
"
Sinnerrr wrote:
This build works so good !

Iam glad to hear that!

I also uploaded the first videos :)
HC viabæe?

Just ripped my RF tank, nok i want a fast paced build to finish the league off 😜

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info