Fix Sarn Crashing by Nerfing Scorching Ray

Dear GGG,

It has been some months since you released Scorching Ray.
During those months Sarn Arena has been crashing repeatedly.
It gets rather depressing when, after a crash, people decide it is not worth coming back.

It is clear you have attempted to fix the problem, and those fixes have not solved the issue.

Here is a suggestion: Nerf the skill into the ground, hard, put it so far into the dirt PVP wise that the only people using it are not really in the arena for PVP.

The game is no fun when the instances crash.

Thank you.


p.s. Maybe you can just disable triggered spells in PVP zones if it is just the cast-while-channeling that is doing it.
Last bumped on Apr 21, 2017 5:44:33 PM
"
Completed 23 ChallengesAodui wrote:
Dear GGG,

It has been some months since you released Scorching Ray.
During those months Sarn Arena has been crashing repeatedly.
It gets rather depressing when, after a crash, people decide it is not worth coming back.

It is clear you have attempted to fix the problem, and those fixes have not solved the issue.

Here is a suggestion: Nerf the skill into the ground, hard, put it so far into the dirt PVP wise that the only people using it are not really in the arena for PVP.

The game is no fun when the instances crash.

Thank you.


p.s. Maybe you can just disable triggered spells in PVP zones if it is just the cast-while-channeling that is doing it.


I can't see how that would stop them, the only real change is that they would be calling the crashing justified for ruining their self esteem.
"That's nice cupcake" ~ Rlowe, 1984 - RIP in pieces, least we 4get
""Everyone is an asshole and I'm awesome" ~ Mygalomorphae, 2016" ~ philophil, 2016" ~ Mygalomorphae, 2016
They could give Scorching Ray the RF treatment meaning they give the dot a T value so bad no one serious about pvp will ever use it anymore (except for some CWC stuff)
"

I can't see how that would stop them, the only real change is that they would be calling the crashing justified for ruining their self esteem.

Ah yes, at least it would be clear someone knows how to reliably reproduce it.

I know I've caused it before last league on occasion, I definitely think it is an interaction of two things.

"
Completed 18 ChallengesIceDeal wrote:
They could give Scorching Ray the RF treatment meaning they give the dot a T value so bad no one serious about pvp will ever use it anymore (except for some CWC stuff)

Alternatively I'd go for the Inquisitor response, turn off that debuff in PVP so it no longer has a building resistance bypass / additional damage per a stack.
I emailed Chris about this a couple weeks back and he said the team is aware of the issue.
Lavender or Leave.
PvPresident, 2016
//

You'd better run.
… Aware and sort of enjoying by the current state of pvp balance.
People, GGG needs videos or something. I just got the following PM:

"
Completed 12 ChallengesAlex_GGG wrote:
Hello there, unfortunately we still have never once reproduced the Scorching Ray crash in Sarn Arena here on our local servers. I would love to be able to fix it but it is extremely difficult (if not impossible) without reproducing it or knowing what is actually going wrong. Do you have any further information that could help us with this crash? Reproduction steps, skill combinations, or any other information would be of great help! Thank you :)


I'm not sure how to reproduce it 100% myself but it seems more likely to happen when there are lots of targets moving perpendicular to the ray's path, like a scorching ray spinning in circles around a bunch of SRS or a player running by and the ray turning trying to follow the running player.

Sometimes you see the scorching ray debuff icon persist on your character well after the ray is gone, and the arena will crash soon after.

If someone can make a video of this or provide better steps for GGG to reproduce, we might actually get a fix. I'm amazed they can't reproduce it though, given how often sarn arena hard crashes every day.
Never underestimate what the mod community can do for PoE if you sell an offline client.
Last edited by Vhlad on Apr 21, 2017 12:33:25 PM
"
Completed 34 ChallengesVhlad wrote:
People, GGG needs videos or something. I just got the following PM:

"
Completed 12 ChallengesAlex_GGG wrote:
Hello there, unfortunately we still have never once reproduced the Scorching Ray crash in Sarn Arena here on our local servers. I would love to be able to fix it but it is extremely difficult (if not impossible) without reproducing it or knowing what is actually going wrong. Do you have any further information that could help us with this crash? Reproduction steps, skill combinations, or any other information would be of great help! Thank you :)


I'm not sure how to reproduce it 100% myself but it seems more likely to happen when there are lots of targets moving perpendicular to the ray's path, like a scorching ray spinning in circles around a bunch of SRS or a player running by and the ray turning trying to follow the running player.

Sometimes you see the scorching ray debuff icon persist on your character well after the ray is gone, and the arena will crash soon after.

If someone can make a video of this or provide better steps for GGG to reproduce, we might actually get a fix. I'm amazed they can't reproduce it though, given how often sarn arena hard crashes every day.


Are we sure it's Scorching Ray that's causing this? I get frequent drops against people in Sarn who use multiple cwdt/cws/cwc/enchant set ups along side their main attack. Everyone in Sarn drops when these occur.
Build guide
https://goo.gl/5YO1XW
IGN: MullaXul
well, sarn arena only started crashing since scorching ray.

Before then I could get 1337 kills like a totally popular cool person with lots of friends. But since then it's exceedingly rare for the arena to last long enough to get even 300 kills (at least on Legacy league, I don't spend long enough on standard nowadays - if there's no one in standard using SR maybe sarn lasts a while there but in temp league there's almost always 1 person using ray in sarn arena).

There may be more than 1 thing crashing sarn but I can say with 100% certainty that we can force a hard crash using scorching ray.
Never underestimate what the mod community can do for PoE if you sell an offline client.
Last edited by Vhlad on Apr 21, 2017 5:47:26 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info