[2.6] CwC Crit Occultist ChaosStorm {Shaper and Uber Atziri Viable!}

1. Concept
The main concept of this build is to create as much poison damage as possible through Firestorm and Cast while Channelling and with some Duration nodes and Chaos damage. The build channels Firestorms through Wither so that we gain the 7% increased chaos damage taken per stack of wither aswell. I had seen that I could get to a comfortable 70% crit without much investment at all - a couple of nodes on the tree which increases the DPS ALOT.

2. Ascendancy
For the Ascendancy I decided to go Occultist because of CI for more eHP, free Power Charge generation provided and Void Beacon for -20% monster chaos resistance to boost DPS against bosses into the absolutely stupid territory. (and trust me, this is no exaggeration.) This is without the special benefits of Wicked Ward and Vile Bastion which boosts our defences alot!

3. Skill Tree + Levelling Trees
http://poeurl.com/beOd 17 points

http://poeurl.com/beOf 44 points

http://poeurl.com/beOg 67 points

http://poeurl.com/beOj 99 points

http://poeurl.com/beOn End Tree

This is the skill tree that I am currently using. For levelling take the HP nodes that you travel by - proritise Shadow first and then head up to +1 curse when you are able to use Witchfire aswell as Temp Chains. When you get to 70 you should equip your CI gear and make the change to CI ASAP.

4. Bandits
Normal: Kill All
Cruel: Kill All
Merciless: Alira (Power Charge) or Kill All

5. Gear and Links

Necessities
There are only 2 completely necessary items for this build to function that you will need and that is
and
This is because we convert our Fire damage to Chaos damage so that we can stack Poison - which, by the way, Firestorm stacks ALOT of.

CURSE EXPLANATION: We cannot go below 35% mana or we will take 100% increased spell damage from Infernal Mantle this is why we NEED (need in bold because it's absolutely necessary) an Enlighten 2 + 4% reduced mana reserved node or an Enlighten 3 so we are at 64% mana reserved with Discipline and Blasphemy-Temporal Chains.

In the 6L swap Added Chaos to Concentrated Effect for bosses

Helmet

For the helmet I recommend any of the Firestorm enchants - here is a Hubris which I bought and crafted for 30 chaos (NOT required, end game can be completed without an enchant, it's just very nice to have.)

For the gems I only really use this Orb of Storms - PCoC setup against bosses as we do not get the benefit of Forbidden Power.

Gloves
For the Gloves we are almost required to go Voidbringers. This is because they increase our crit by a huge margin and because we are using Wither in a 2L (Because only CwC affects it) the Increased Mana cost of Skills mod doesn't affect our Wither at all really - this is without the huge 200+ ES that the item provides aswell!

Boots
There is a few uniques such as Steppan Eard's which can be very good for this build but we will have trouble getting a 0.6% leech enchant on them without spending exalts and we are already lacking on resists which we will have to make up for.

I highly recommend a rare pair of boots with 20+% movement speed (because that's our primary way of moving between attacks as Whirling Blades is quite slow due to us not having Attack Speed on the tree.) and 150-200ES with some resistances.

Use the Rare boots as a reference for gems - not the Steppan Eards!

Rings/Amulet/Belt
There isn't much to say here really - for Rings you just want to make up for resists that you are missing. If you can get flat ES roll with an open prefix that would be very nice. These are the ones I am currently using.

For Bosses you may need a -7/-8 Elreon Ring as we may dip below 35% mana due to not having Leech from boots. On bosses with adds this is not necessary!

For the Amulet it's pretty much required that we use an Eye of Chayula for the stun immunity because even if you did have Skyforth we only have a small mana pool of 800ish (you could take Mana nodes but that restricts your damage) and we will lack resistances. Not much else to say here.

For the belt we just want to have a Crystal Belt base with flat ES and resistances - Flask duration and effect would be nice but we don't need anything too fancy. Get what you can afford.

(ignore WED on the belt, it does nothing for us.)

Jewels
For jewels there are only really 4 mods that fully benefit us and we should definitely prioritize as they all "Double Dip" with our Firestorm and Poison.
Area Damage
Fire Damage
Chaos Damage
%Maximum ES

Flasks
For our Flasks there is two flasks that I would argue are necessary;
They are not too expensive and they increase our DPS and leech so high that we can facetank Shaper's Beam.

The other flasks that we need will have to include ATLEAST Anti-Bleed and Anti-Freeze as we do not have any sources of freeze or bleed immunity.
An anti-shock flask is also quite helpful for general mapping.

READ ME: Flask management is EXTREMELY important on this build! We usually get our leech against trash mobs through the leech enchant on our boots but against bosses this DOES NOT work. Try to have both charges of Atziri's Promise up as it helps INSANELY with facetanking bosses (tried and tested and can facetank Shaper Beam with JUST this flask for leech.)

6. Budget Variant
The budget variant of this build would be using at least a 5L Infernal Mantle because otherwise end-game bosses will not die fast enough with pots up.

If you cannot afford a decent Crystal Belt a Chain Belt with the same mods can suffice until you can afford a decent Crystal Belt. Another popular alternative would be Bated Breath as it gives a lot of ES and faster recharge is always nice in conjunction with the Occultist's Wicked Ward ascendancy node.

You will still need Leech enchant Boots but you can suffice with 0.4% leech which is much cheaper than 0.6%.

As I said in the Gear and Links section (Helmets) You do NOT need a Firestorm enchant for this build to kill end-game bosses.

7. Videos
Hard Shaped Strand run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHSBMHlUOlA It is quite laggy at times - Apologies for my internet!

Shaper 3rd Phase (close one-shot, died to stupidity) https://youtu.be/6rlLh46Hl2k

Full Shaper Run! https://youtu.be/U_s4CCgZ61Y

8. Achievements

Helm Ideas and Vaal Clarity
A great idea from Nowlech who has helped me with this guide alot;

"
Once again I have changed something up LOL. Since we get the free power charge generation from Forbidden Power Ascendancy, I took out Orb of Storms and made a CWDT, Immortal Call, Inc. Duration setup. Plus now I have a free slot and since we take the duration nodes Immortal Call stays up for just shy of a second, and I have a Inc. Duration in the Helm, I use a Vaal Clarity (lasts 20~ seconds, really good) which helps to NOT go under 35% mana. Also, once I have finished getting the last few Chaos damage nodes at the Shadow start, I'm going to take Alchemy Node instead of the Void Barrier node.

That's it for the guide, thanks for reading!
Last edited by KyleXD on Apr 7, 2017, 1:40:39 AM
Last bumped on May 4, 2017, 5:53:05 AM
Very good build. One question, is there a budget viable version? I can't quiet afford 50c boot enchants at the moment.

Edit: Thanks for adding the budget variant :).
Last edited by i7rake on Mar 30, 2017, 4:21:22 PM
Looks good! I may have to give it a go.
Been trying to look at your trees, but the links don't work. Really want to try the build, plz fix asap!!! Thanks (they work now, something was bugged on my end i guess)
Last edited by Nowlech on Apr 4, 2017, 2:45:09 AM
Loving the build so far, not really a mapper but i decided to change something up. I spent a little extra currency to get voidbringers vaaled with the cast with Vuln on hit. It definately makes it much easier to get the curse rather than using the Witchfire brew.
Spoiler
Nice! your gear is looking better than mine haha. Glad you're enjoying it!:)
Once again I have changed something up LOL. Since we get the free power charge generation from Forbidden Power Ascendancy, I took out Orb of Storms and made a CWDT, Immortal Call, Inc. Duration setup. Plus now I have a free slot and since we take the duration nodes Immortal Call stays up for just shy of a second, and I have a Inc. Duration in the Helm, I use a Vaal Clarity (lasts 20~ seconds, really good) which helps to NOT go under 35% mana. Also, once I have finished getting the last few Chaos damage nodes at the Shadow start, I'm going to take Alchemy Node instead of the Void Barrier node.

Here is my Helm now compared to my last reply.
I only use the PCoC>OoS setup to have easier access to max power charges but your idea seems really good and I never thought of Vaal Clarity for bosses, quite smart thanks! Mind if I link this as a quote in the guide ?
Last edited by KyleXD on Apr 5, 2017, 7:08:41 PM
"
I only use the PCoC>OoS setup to have easier access to max power charges but your idea seems really good and I never thought of Vaal Clarity for bosses, quite smart thanks! Mind if I link this as a quote in the guide ?

Sure yeah I don't mind. Also quick suggestion, Under ascendancy spoiler, it's quite hard to understand what to pick first/what to pick at all. Just make a section that says this

Forbidden Power > Void Beacon > Wicked Ward > Vile Bastion

"
This is without the special benefits of Wicked Ward and Vile Bastion which boosts our defences alot!

This is what i mean by hard to understand. You meant to say the first 2 are great but adding Wicked Ward and Vile Bastion makes the build complete.
Last edited by Nowlech on Apr 5, 2017, 7:55:36 PM
I have successfully killed the Shaper and Uber Atziri deathless, so my time is now finished on this character. Thanks for the build guide man, I really enjoyed it!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info