[2.6] Elementalist Self-ignite MoM Crit Cyclone

Introduction
This build was made mainly to test out the new Martyr of Innocence staff and use a couple legacy items, probably not super optimized but it worked out better than expected.
If you have any questions ask in this thread or message me in game at: Babalicious
Pros
Spoiler

-Fast clear speed
-Cheap start
-Cheap rares
-Solid single target
-Max Block
-Utilizes the newly added nodes behind Mind Over Matter

Cons
Spoiler

-Very vulnerable to degen effects
-Melee. Real Melee, need to be hugging things to hit them.
-Walls. Cyclone still has the problem of being super dodgy near walls.
-Uncomfortable in t14+ maps without good gear
-Vulnerable to large bursts of damage in a row

Skill Tree
Spoiler

Level 80 Skill tree: poeurl.com/bdvx

Current Skill tree at level 94: poeurl.com/bdvx

Head Straight towards Beacon of Ruin first, then pick up Paragon of Calamity, and end with Liege of the primordial in Uber lab

Level as a firestormer until level 52, at which time you can switch to using the staff and cyclone, easy and simple.

Bandits are:
Oak(Normal)
Kraityn(Cruel)
Alira(Merciless)

Why Elementalist?
Spoiler

Elementalist was chosen over other ascendancies due to the high amount of elemental damage, and free prolif. This build ends up with over 120% fire pen so even though it is crit, inquisitor is a big damage loss. After the aoe nerfs cyclones aoe is pretty dumpster, but with the prolif and fairly large ignites you only need to spin once through the majority of packs and the rest die to burn prolif. Paragon of calamity is always active due to eye of innocence hitting you, so easy damage and the reduced reflect is obviously amazing.

Required Uniques
Spoiler

There are really only two uniques that are required for the core gimmick of this build, but the others are so cheap and provide a large benefit that there is really no excuse not to pick them up.

The two uniques that make up the core of the self-ignite setup are:

These items were literally made for each other, and it shows, the fire damage from eye of innocence counts as a hit, so it triggers the vengeance, and the 100% increased fire damage from the staff. The damage however cannot be blocked, but the staff having a hefty 30% base block chance means the fire penetration is almost always active.

The obvious ring choice for a self ignite build, helps with the dps a lot and dirt cheap, can run two possibly but you lose a decent chunk of life and mana.

The extra 10% damage taken from mana before life from a relic Cloak of defiance makes you significantly more tanky. I'm not sure if this is the 100% bis chest but i wanted to use it, and you can pick one up for super cheap.

This thing is just silly how good it is, make sure your fire resistance is the highest, and you get 20% pen. The reduced damage taken is also nothing to sneeze at, i don't have a preference on which one i prefer to get mitigated, but if you do make sure it is the lowest.

Gives us our maxblock. Can make-do without a legacy rumis but you won't quite hit maxblock, but even a minrolled flask will give you enough to max your block.

Recommended Uniques
Spoiler

Not necessary until t14+ maps, but they are a lifesaver against spike damage. Given that this is a MoM build you also require instant mana leech so vaal pact itself is not enough, as well as it is not right next to our tree.

Amazing for mapping, makes the build much safer with a high chance to get resistance shrine, and much faster with acceleration shrine. If you use these the value of domination leaguestones go up for you, the large shrine effects last over a minute and have vastly amplified effects.

Could possibly also give Rainbowstride a try to get higher spell block as the only spell block we get is that from rumis, lose a bunch of life from that though.

Gem Links
Spoiler

Main Link
Cyclone-Weapon Elemental Damage-Concentrated Effect-Fire Penetration-Inc Crit Strikes-Faster Attacks

Playing around with increased aoe and conc effect gems i did not notice any difference, so with using conc effect 100% of the time you get lots more damage, and the ignite is larger so your prolif is more likely to kill everything, the elemenalist prolif is not affected by the aoe reduction of conc effect.
I havent tested it but for a 5 link you would drop either inc crit strikes or faster attacks.

Weapon Link
Inc crit strikes-power charge on critical-blind-stun-endurance charge on melee stun-weapon elemental damage

I decided to fully utilize the free 7 link vengeance on the weapon and never looked back. Easy charge generation and a decent burst of damage every so often, and blind goes a long way to making you tankier.

Various Other Links
Leap slam-Faster attacks-Fortify
Not much to say here, pretty cookie cutter movement skill links.

Blasphemy-flammability
Our only aura, i used to run with clarity but didnt seem to add much, for super min-max can add an enlighten in to get more mana unreserved to increase your effective HP pool.

Cast when damage taken(lvl20)-fire golem(lvl20)-ice golem(lvl20)
Your golems add a lot of damage and this is the easiest way to make sure they are always up.

Rallying cry
Bit of a damage boost, and the mana regen doesn't hurt.

Vaal Lightning Trap
Chuck it down on bosses and before opening essence monsters, helps an insane amount.

Jewels
Spoiler

You don't pick up many jewel sockets in this build so need to make them count, get at least %increased max life and either two relevant damage mods, or %increased mana as well for more tankiness.

Current Gear
Spoiler

Example rare Belt/Gloves:

These are completely fine, i used these gloves up to t14 and initially for t15s, without acuity the build works fine still but its pretty awkward with multiple damage mods on maps.

Explanation
Spoiler

What you're looking for on rares is resists to cap, and both high life, and high mana. Mana being a desired roll on items is an immense bonus, because not only is it usually considered a waste of a stat, but it can severely devalue an item, allowing you to pick it up for much cheaper.
Headhunter is obviously a pure luxury item, on a rare belt you are looking for wed,life, and reduced flask charges used/increased flask charges gained. Your flasks are such a huge source of mitigation and damage that having 100% uptime is almost imperative.
Boots you want 30% ms,life, and mana, with the movespeed being the most important roll. Nice slot to also fill out resists, i need the implicit resists but if you have plenty elsewhere try to get a leech enchant on your boots.
Helm get decent life and mana and resists. Accuracy cant hurt, though i didnt seem to suffer with lower accuracy, possibly due to elementalist empowered ice golem.
Ring try to get life/wed/mana and resists, can also possibly aim for accuracy on this slot too, if you are set for resists elsewhere then opal ring will be amazing.

Flasks
Spoiler

Quicksilver of adrenaline is a godsend, movement speed is pretty low without it, which further cements how good flask belt mods are.
Staunching is needed as always, but you have to make sure its always up or be quick, MoM doesnt protect against degen effects at all, so bleed will shred you to pieces.
I'm not sure if a hybrid flask is the best, the two uses per full flask is pretty limiting but it does help get the mana back after spikes, which is a problem this build faces.

Map Mods
Spoiler

Really the only map mods that you absolutely cannot do are Elemental reflect, and 90% chance to avoid status ailments. The latter is so crippling as in addition to not getting the boost in clear speed and damage with ignite enemies, you will not reliably self ignite yourself, severely lowering your leech and dps.
Physical reflect is not a problem as the phys damage on the staff is miniscule and we dont scale it at all.
Enfeeble is a notable mod due to us being a crit attack build, doable but the damage really suffers.
Elemental equilibrium hurts but due to us having such a large amount of fire pen already its not ~too~ big of a deal, as long as you dont stack this with the normal elemental resistance mod.
Reduced block is doable but you have to play a bit more carefully, and preferably without other damage mods as well.

Bosses
Spoiler

So far with this build i have done all breachlords, xoph was interestingly the hardest elemental breachlord because he deals damage with a degen effect, and ignites us, which we dont have anything to remove as it is usually a good thing.
Uul-Netol is easy enough but once again, degens hurt a lot so be quick on the staunching flask, in the boss fight i purposely triggered the mobs to spawn to leech from and provide more flask charges.
Chayula is a bit tough. The clear was really smooth and no problem. Unfortunately the boss was a different matter, as this build is completely melee. You have to play this extraordinarily safely, and be confident in your dancing skills. Whenever Chayula does the cyclone that launches projectiles you either have to dance around, as these projectiles will chunk you hard, or portal/logout and then come back in. Probably a good idea to get some chaos resistance but i forgot and did it with -60%.

As for t15 bosses so far i have done Core, Abyss, and shaped underground river as these are the only ones i have gotten.

Haven't tried guardians or shaper yet but i'm not convinced this build will be able to do them without struggling, and phoenix probably just can't be done full stop.

In the same vein that makes phoenix probably undoable, i haven't bothered to try Atziri at all due to this being an ignite reliant build.

Videos
Spoiler

Gorge run with two damage down mods, and increased damage taken mods, took off HH/Acuity to show the build can still function fine without:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOT4pjMF9VE

Twinned kaom with enfeeble, pretty slow because enfeeble really hurts our dps, but had onslaught as well as monster speed, not really dangerous at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4cMIht3G80

Conclusion
Spoiler

I've been playing this build for about a week or so now and its loads of fun, super fast mapping and pretty strong single target. I've done up to t15s atm and most bosses get shredded pretty quickly with the amount of fire pen you get. Its really satisfying to see everything burn, and thematically really cool that you set yourself on fire to increase your damage. If i missed anything or you need more info, or have some criticism please let me know.
Last edited by HelloWhat on Mar 27, 2017, 3:20:22 AM
Last bumped on Apr 5, 2017, 12:16:43 PM
Reserved because thats what you do i guess
i have a 6l staff and looking for a fun build like this. great job. im gonna try it soon
P/S: can you make a video about clear speed or some boss
Yes, but how well does it clear without a headhunter?

/s

It looks interesting, and fun, but some of the gear items are ridiculously exorbitant. Would you be willing to make a version with less gear and report back on how well it performs?

Also, videos soon?

Cheers

p.s. also, can you get the oak to give dual resistance mitigation if you were say.... 75 / 74 / 74 ? I haven't considered it much before, but it could be a fun task for the build to intentionally tie your two lowest resistances for. Would love to see more about that.
Hot Flashes: poeurl.com/bPZT
Balance: poeurl.com/btzp
Shocking EleHit: poeurl.com/bZXo
Last edited by Kwitch on Mar 25, 2017, 7:19:04 PM
"
Achillezzzzz wrote:
i have a 6l staff and looking for a fun build like this. great job. im gonna try it soon
P/S: can you make a video about clear speed or some boss

A 6l chest is more optimal because using the staff as your 6l you will need to find another way to generate charges, but it will work. My computer and internet are pretty sub-par so ill try and get a few videos up but might be hard.

"
Kwitch wrote:
Yes, but how well does it clear without a headhunter?

/s

It looks interesting, and fun, but some of the gear items are ridiculously exorbitant. Would you be willing to make a version with less gear and report back on how well it performs?

Also, videos soon?

Cheers

p.s. also, can you get the oak to give dual resistance mitigation if you were say.... 75 / 74 / 74 ? I haven't considered it much before, but it could be a fun task for the build to intentionally tie your two lowest resistances for. Would love to see more about that.

For the wise oak remember that its uncapped resistances, being the number in brackets on your character page, example is:
fire:75(120)
lightning75(110)
cold:75(110)
You still get maxxed resists while using wise oak, and having resists this way will get you both the mitigation for lightning, and cold.
And yeah i do agree the stuff is pretty overkill, ill try and grab some random gear and see how it goes, same as above will try to make a video but no concrete promises.
Added two videos of the build performing in "bad" scenarios.
Last edited by HelloWhat on Mar 27, 2017, 9:20:49 AM
Hey! Could you tell me please, can new player use this bild? Or this bild isnt very strong (only fun)?

And add plz leveling for new players (f.e.: skill tree on 25 lvl/40/60/final) if you aren't difficult, because it's unclear what passives to use first. Thank you.
"
Hey! Could you tell me please, can new player use this bild? Or this bild isnt very strong (only fun)?

And add plz leveling for new players (f.e.: skill tree on 25 lvl/40/60/final) if you aren't difficult, because it's unclear what passives to use first. Thank you.

Really depends on your expectations of a "strong" build. This build can do all red maps but doesn't trivialize specific boss content, it is a fairly fast clearer but can't compete with things such as vspark. So a new player CAN use this build but really can't expect to just demolish all content with your eyes closed, which i personally find as a plus after playing builds that almost cannot die.

For levelling just beeline straight to the fire damage nodes and shadow damage, can pick up life earlier if you aren't confident in not dying while levelling, i dont think a levelling tree is super necessary just kind of fill out the tree for what you want at the time, making sure you have MoM when you want to be tankier.
Nice build bro, playing smth similar now. The problem though is that you mainly ignite with the first hit, and ignite damage is based on the damage of the hit. And according to cyclone mechanics, the first hit deal 50% less damage. I try do the same with lightning, since our first hit damage is enough to apply shock. Seems more promising to me. Need to check though.
"
Redleigh wrote:
Nice build bro, playing smth similar now. The problem though is that you mainly ignite with the first hit, and ignite damage is based on the damage of the hit. And according to cyclone mechanics, the first hit deal 50% less damage. I try do the same with lightning, since our first hit damage is enough to apply shock. Seems more promising to me. Need to check though.

Not really a problem as the largest ignite on the target will be the one dealing the damage.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info