Why do some things not effect tooltip?

I can't tell if it's a bug and i'm not getting stats from some items or if it's just a display bug stopping certain things from effecting my tooltips.

For example "Fight for Survival" my cold damage goes up and my projectile speed on frost blades tooltip goes up however no matter if unequip the 2 jewels or equip them my cold pen on the skill stays at 32% yet each jewel is meant to add 15% cold pen as far as i'm aware so with both on it should be sitting at 62%
Last bumped on Mar 22, 2017, 6:49:09 PM
The skillbar tooltip generally shows only the effect of skill gem and any linked supports, for more detailed stats you should check the skill entry on char sheet. That said, both sometimes skip certain stats or show wrong values so if you're absolutely certain something should work and neither display shows it, the display is likely wrong.

As to why the tooltip and char display aren't 100% correct, it's supposedly tricky to implement some things, like actual minion dps.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
In this case, it's because the Cold Pen isn't for Frost Blades in its entirety, but only for the Melee Damage portion (the initial Hit); it being a specific modifier means it won't show up.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
In this case, it's because the Cold Pen isn't for Frost Blades in its entirety, but only for the Melee Damage portion (the initial Hit); it being a specific modifier means it won't show up.

Wait, so this cold pen is single target only then?
"[..]Frost Blades Melee Damage Penetrates 15% Cold Resistance"
So yes.
Tooltips are very unreliable in this game. They can be used, but with a whole bag of salt-pinches and only with some game knowledge. The character page is more reliable, but it's not reliable. Conditional modifiers never show up, DoT never shows up. It sucks, but I can see where trying to account for everything the game gives you in a tooltip would be a coding nightmare, so hey.
"
1453R wrote:
Tooltips are very unreliable in this game. They can be used, but with a whole bag of salt-pinches and only with some game knowledge. The character page is more reliable, but it's not reliable. Conditional modifiers never show up, DoT never shows up. It sucks, but I can see where trying to account for everything the game gives you in a tooltip would be a coding nightmare, so hey.
its not really a coding nightmare, its more about visual representation nightmare.

unless you dump absolutely everything into tooltip that reads like a three-page short story, theres no clean way to do it. and stats that apply conditionally/depend on enemies properties like penetration, are just the tip of the iceberg

its easy to code that an attack like old wild strike has 33% chance to cause a different kind of conversion and type of attack and damage. its exceptionally hard to derive some kind of meaningful average tooltip indication. you cant just average it out - itd be a lie to say it does a third of each element, because it doesn't. therefore the lowest part that is true for all hits is displayed as a tooltip- the initial melee attack.

for most part, GGG has adopted the 'its better to be incomplete/partial than to totally misrepresent/mislead' policy, and I like it.

the few places where they didn't do that, are a great example why partial tooltip is better- the phys % reduction from armour misled more people by trying to approximate that number; and the fact is that number is utterly meaningless.
Last edited by grepman on Mar 22, 2017, 4:45:39 PM
"
grepman wrote:
"
1453R wrote:
its not really a coding nightmare, its more about visual representation nightmare.

unless you dump absolutely everything into tooltip that reads like a three-page short story, theres no clean way to do it. and stats that apply conditionally/depend on enemies properties like penetration, are just the tip of the iceberg

its easy to code that an attack like old wild strike has 33% chance to cause a different kind of conversion and type of attack and damage. its exceptionally hard to derive some kind of meaningful average tooltip indication. you cant just average it out - itd be a lie to say it does a third of each element, because it doesn't. therefore the lowest part that is true for all hits is displayed as a tooltip- the initial melee attack.

for most part, GGG has adopted the 'its better to be incomplete/partial than to totally misrepresent/mislead' policy, and I like it.

the few places where they didn't do that, are a great example why partial tooltip is better- the phys % reduction from armour misled more people by trying to approximate that number; and the fact is that number is utterly meaningless.

There are 3-rd party utilities, that allow you to calculate real damage. Path of Building, for example.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
"
grepman wrote:
"
1453R wrote:

There are 3-rd party utilities, that allow you to calculate real damage. Path of Building, for example.
yes, and they aren't perfect either. path of building has some things completely missing (like decay from essence of delirium) and I've seen some mistakes here and there. and if you look at their wild strike calculation, they have to have six (SIX) drop down menu options for each hit calculated separately, each leading to its own separate sheet. so there's no magic tooltip number or small set of numbers it can be converged into

so my point stands. for some things, a clean concise and correct tool tip is just impossible in terms of presentarion

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info