2.6 terrible ranger build

Hi, I decided to make this thread to share a terrible ranger build which doesn't really make any sense at all.

Edits for Patch 3.15

Since this build was originally made for 2.6, a few things have changed, notably for example you only do the bandits once since the cruel and merciless difficulties have been replaced by acts 6-10

So I decided to update a few things in the build, notably I decided to switch from Ranger to Shadow and pick the Saboteur ascendancy, because, nobody uses that ascendancy other than to make trap and mine builds, so I figured it would probably be pretty terrible to pick that and then not use traps or mines.

Here's the PoB link for the updated build, everything is completely changed and different but also the discerning observer will recognize that it's pretty much the same:

https://pastebin.com/uRUZAXJF

Pros
Spoiler

• Not really affected by reflect mods

Cons
Spoiler

• Terrible damage output
  • Very poor defenses
  • Dies often
  • Killing monsters is often difficult
  • Not shaper viable
  • Can't complete cruel lab
  • Power curve trails off around act 4 normal

Skilltree
Spoiler

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAIBAAEJAecE5AX5Bx4OSA-rEZYVIBXwFyYZihm0GlUbyB7wJIstgy_MNj026D3iQKBCjkjuXhNfcF-wYSFhUmLsa5BtbG5pcFZ10HiueTl9dX7ihNmE74ZgieCVLpcGm7WezaOKpzCpla_rsbO2irakvqfAnMC_wzrEuMpK037V-Na-4kPjhOZY5-rp1e4V707vevaj-TP5Y_sJ_7A=

We aren't trying to increase our damage, defenses or utility so there is a lot of flexibility in the build paths for the terrible ranger. I like to increase a lot of shield defense skills even though our build will not be using a shield, just in case. I also like to spec various useful stats like knockback and increased stun duration, because those things probably will be useful.

I recommend allocating only about 70 skill points with this build because since you are not trying to kill things super good, 70 skill points is more than plenty of enough. Keep in mind that it isn't required to allocate the notable passive skills in most cases; if you don't really care about the stats, the other passive skills are mostly just as good; when you think about it 8% increased shield defenses is basically just as good as 40%.

For our ascendancy we just take 3 minor ascendancy points without allocating any major ascendancy points; this gives us a nice mix of stats. We don't really need to use the other 5 ascendancy points anyway and regardless it will be pretty hard to complete the lab in merciless or uber difficulties with our terrible build. You could go pathfinder instead which would probably be a lot better objectively speaking, but raider has fewer letters in the name so it will be cooler when you say to your friends about how terrible your build is that you only have to type a fewer number of characters.

This skill tree is optimized for 2.6 patch but it will probably be almost exactly as terrible for future patches as well.

Gear
Spoiler

Here is some gear you might use, it's not really that great but eh

Gems
Spoiler

Here are you some gems you could probably use good in the build, I recommend at least to use empower with fork support, searing bond and also link vaal detonate dead with trap and mine damage support, the others are optional. Bear trap is a really good option to go with vaal arc and glacial cascade. Detonate mines is also really strong when linked to wild strike and CwC.

Bandits
Spoiler

Normal: Alira
Cruel: Kraityn
Merc: Alira

FAQ
Spoiler

Is this a joke?
Maybe, what is a joke anyway?

Why not allocate more passive skills?
My ornithologist advised against it

What map is your favorite to run with terrible ranger build?
Acid Lakes

Something about the build makes sense, can you make it more terrible?
Probably.

When will the Columbus Blue Jackets finally win the Stanley Cup?

2021 edit: They didn't win it in 2017! Terrible! Just like the build!
Last edited by aestrivex on Aug 18, 2021, 3:49:26 PM
Last bumped on Mar 16, 2017, 5:34:32 AM
Nice build, can you please provide passive Tree for CI variant? Also is this HC viable?
Your build is not terrible enough - it can survive in parties and together with aurabot it can kill some mobs and even some bosses.

The best way to improve this build is to use Blood Magic + auras to reserve all life.

"
SteamBuggy wrote:
Nice build, can you please provide passive Tree for CI variant? Also is this HC viable?

Here is the CI tree:

BEST CI TREE EVER
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAIAAAX5DkgRlhvILL82PW1sf8aXBpsmr-vBxeOE53Tn6ujW7Bj5Mw==

Just go straight ahead to the CI node and do not, I repeat: do not wear ES gear or pickup ES nodes at all.

Also - this build is HC viable, but only once.
Last edited by Гаруспик on Mar 16, 2017, 5:35:16 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info