[2.6] The Baron Spirits

Overview
One day I was rambling through a beach crowded with undead when I stumbled into Hillock who kindly dropped this beauty:

I was building a Necromancer, so it looked kinda sweet for the build but... its main focus was zombies and I was going for raging spirits. Until I though: "SRS with 1000 Strength looks actually pretty nice, and the zombies could leech for me". So I started to build around The Baron and here is the result.

The build idea
Spoiler

So, this is all about VERY STRONK raging spirits, we will use several uniques to boost our Strength and these two to further scale what this high stat gives us:

The spirits are the core of the build. They are fast, they deal a lot of damage, everything synergizes around them.
9 or 10 life leeching Zombies will also be quite useful, for both shielding and giving me life.
For mana, Eldricht Battery with Zealot Oath gives us infinite mana and we can reserve the rest with Haste and Hatred.
Obviously, Mind Over Matter is also a good choice for survivability and we will use it too.
We go for armor in all of our pieces of equipment and try to grab a couple of nodes in the tree to further improve it, so we end up with decent physical mitigation.
Last, but not least, for tougher foes, Arc + curse on hit + elemental weakness topped with an Elemental Equilibrium icing will help a lot.

Pros / cons
Spoiler

Pros:
* Huge damage.
* Infinite mana with Zealot Oath and Eldricht Battery.
* Pretty fast walker with Haste + Flesh Offering + boots.
* Cheap to get started.
* Several defense mechanism, quite durable.

Cons:
* Needs a few specific uniques to work.
* Maxing resistances will be a pain.
* Vulnerable against damage over time. Burning and desecrated grounds also hurt.

Gems and links
Spoiler

Summon Raging Spirits
+ Faster Casting
+ Melee Splash
+ Minion Damage
+ Melee Physical Damage
+ Added Fire Damage

Raise Zombi & Stone Golem
+ Minion Life
+ Minion Damage

Arc (or Ball Lightning)
+ Curse on hit
+ Elemental Weakness

Immortal call (lvl 1) & flesh offering (max lvl)
+ Cast on damage taken (lvl 1)
+ Increased duration (max lvl)

Flame dash & Desecrate
+ Faster casting

Haste (not linked)
Hatred
+ Generosity

The passive tree

Ascendancy
Spoiler

1. Mistress of Sacrifice
2. Commander of Darkness
3. Beacon of corruption
4. Spirit Eater

Gear
Spoiler

These uniques is what makes the build what it is. Some tweaks can be done, but the helmet and boots are required.

The new version of Carnage Heart is amazing. It boosts resistances and life leech, both useful stats for this build. You can swap in an Astramentis if you really need the stats but it's much more expensive and with less utility.

For jewelry and belt you are looking for resistances, strength and life. The more strength you have in gear, the more flexibility tou'll have in the tree.

For weapon you have several choices. In the comments below you can find interesting discussions around all of these:
1H
* Aurumvorax: brilliant resistances, enables the use of Whirling Blades.
* Doon Cuebiyari: Strength, cast speed and insane damage for your self cast spell. As an option, you can socket in spell-based Spectres (e.g.: flame sentinel) with GMP and Minion Damage.
* Mon'tre'gul Grasp: Huge zombies, what's not to like?
* Rare pagan wand: with cast speed and resits, really solid option.

For the shield I have only tested Victario's Charity. Cheap, works like a charm:

2H
* Rare staff: my preferred choice: we can get up to a +3 for our spirits, which is a huge boost to their damage.
* Jorrhast's Blacksteel: I haven't tested it but it was mentioned in the comments and it looks really fun and viable, as your strength and auras will also affect the animated weapons.
* Queen's Escape: more spectres, more zombies, minion speed skyrockets.

Jewels
Spoiler

I am currently using two Efficient Training and two Brawn jewels to increase Strength. They are necessary. I also got a Violent Dead jewel which will fit in a slot somewhere near the witch or templar zones.
For rare jewels, you are looking for double or all resists, % life, cast speed with fire skills, minion damage.

Bandits
Spoiler

Normal: Oak or Kraityn
Cruel: Skill point or Alira
Merciless: Skill point

Videos
Spoiler

OK, my video skillz are terrible but here they are.
Jungle Valley https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chx_jbGWcW8
Cavern https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4tARySD2_g
Phantasmagoria https://youtu.be/-uMdo7A1q_4

This build would not be the same (probably a lot worse) without the contributions from BobZaninetti, Kwitch, Doyzord, ieatpillowtags. All constructive comments are welcome!
Thank you for reading!
Last edited by Ramonacus on Mar 22, 2017, 5:41:07 AM
Last bumped on Jul 24, 2017, 2:03:14 AM
Looks nice, I'm actually considering respeccing my SRS into Baron mode. Can't wait to see how this build will turn out in higher tiers.

On a side note:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAMDABEtHNwo-iycfIOOvo8aksG4k9-w6-4=

Have you considered going this way instead, with Efficient Training in jewel slot? 16-24 STR depending on roll, and converts 70 INT on the tree to STR. That's ~90 STR. It would allow you to respec out of (not so good) Master of the Arena and take, for example, Scion's jewel socket near Potency of Will instead.
Pessimist by nature.
Several questions:

You could easily run a warcry in this build to generate endurance charges. Would likely feel pretty decent too, since monsters already 'prefer' to target summoners rather than their summons.

You state that the build only has access to one six-link setup, and I see that you have opted for a wand and shield. However, You do not run Necromantic Aegis. I do not see why your build is restricted to the use of a wand due to this. You could also run a Doon Cubeyari easily in this build, which I believe it would greatly benefit from.

There is some very 'weird' pathing at the top of the tree, which looks desperately in need of pruning and optimization. I am aware that you want to prioritize the acquisition of strength from passive nodes, however even in your existing paths there are areas where you could pick up greater health and strength routes than you have (Written in blood pathing for example).

113% increased maximum life is not viable. I see you are approaching both marauder and duelist areas to acquire more life, however you have yet to indicate what pathing you will take for these options.

A requirement for any build on the listing is that it be 'complete', and at this time this build appears to still be a work in progress with some general ideas about where it wants to end up and accomplish. I will gladly add it to the witch builds list once it is finished and shows more thought for other players who wish to follow it beyond level 70.

Cheers

Hot Flashes: poeurl.com/bPZT
Balance: poeurl.com/btzp
Shocking EleHit: poeurl.com/bZXo
"
skasio wrote:

Have you considered going this way instead, with Efficient Training in jewel slot?

Actually, I am running two of these jewels at the moment. I tried explaining it in the gear secion but, obviously, I didn't make myself clear.
About re-specing out of Master of the Arena, it's true that it basically gives me energy shield regen, which I have plenty... I'll try fiddling with the tree a bit in the planner.

Thanks for the feedback!
"
Kwitch wrote:
Several questions:
You could easily run a warcry in this build to generate endurance charges. Would likely feel pretty decent too, since monsters already 'prefer' to target summoners rather than their summons.

I might consider that option. I am bit busy at the moment summonning spirits and offerings and arcing rare monsters and Enduring Cry still looks like a good idea.

"
Kwitch wrote:

You state that the build only has access to one six-link setup, ...

The main reason because I am using wand / shield is because at the moment I am in desperate need of resistances and stats. Hopefully I will be able to not depend so much on these pieces of equipment and will have a bit more freedom of choice in the future.

"
Kwitch wrote:

You could also run a Doon Cubeyari easily in this build, which I believe it would greatly benefit from.

Yup, cast speed, strength, iron will... really sweet! But again, no resists which is something I really need at this moment. I was considering either this or a staff for the future, I am really open to advice.

"
Kwitch wrote:

A requirement for any build on the listing is that it be 'complete', ...

Fair enough, thanks for all the advice!
What about this build for late game?

http://poeplanner.com/AAYAAPczAAB5AdwD7gSzCPQUIBVQFm8c3B2-IvQnqSj6MtEzhzWSQYdFR0lRWpFfP2jyakNqrGvbbAttGW87d-N4DXlofRh_xoIegseE2YUyiECIQo8aj0aP-pAzkyeboaEvogCmrKcIqH2pbrXytz64k76KwBrAVMBmwQTBxdP72L3bC9-K42rr7uwY7IrvDvAf8NX31_no_gqVLgceR369Nsy8qsSFYE25rJg6WFXG74j5N9fPSbEkqjbp8kU64aZXMZ5N4_6PvOqD226qSshMswQHVK590lBHZU3kUdAf7-sdFPrS9kiMz8RYPfxYY8bYFSeMsZuKvk8AAAAAAA==
"
BobZaninetti wrote:

http://poeplanner.com/AAYAAPczAAB5AdwD7gSzCPQUIBVQFm8c3B2-IvQnqSj6MtEzhzWSQYdFR0lRWpFfP2jyakNqrGvbbAttGW87d-N4DXlofRh_xoIegseE2YUyiECIQo8aj0aP-pAzkyeboaEvogCmrKcIqH2pbrXytz64k76KwBrAVMBmwQTBxdP72L3bC9-K42rr7uwY7IrvDvAf8NX31_no_gqVLgceR369Nsy8qsSFYE25rJg6WFXG74j5N9fPSbEkqjbp8kU64aZXMZ5N4_6PvOqD226qSshMswQHVK590lBHZU3kUdAf7-sdFPrS9kiMz8RYPfxYY8bYFSeMsZuKvk8AAAAAAA==

That looks really nice. I like what you did avoiding Occulist Dominion and taking those armor / resists nodes. I am definitely going that direction.
Just a tiny comment, you can take one less INT point on the right side like this:
http://imgur.com/a/tFrNe

Thanks for contributing!
Update on this:
I hadn't seen the buffs on The Carnage Heart amulet and now I really want one with good rolls. It's basically a mini-Astramentis with resistances and leech buffs. I am definitely going to get one and probably will be able to go for a 5-L staff!
"
Ramonacus wrote:
"
BobZaninetti wrote:

That looks really nice. I like what you did avoiding Occulist Dominion and taking those armor / resists nodes. I am definitely going that direction.
Just a tiny comment, you can take one less INT point on the right side like this:
http://imgur.com/a/tFrNe

Thanks for contributing!

Indeed, I was trying something with reduced mana and forgot to arrange that. Good job.

I bought this citrine amulet pretty cheap on poe.trade, added dex to it, it's a very good staple for Astramentis on this build.

For a 2H, Queen's Escape seems to be a very solid choice aswell.
"
BobZaninetti wrote:
Indeed, I was trying something with reduced mana and forgot to arrange that. Good job.

I bought this citrine amulet pretty cheap on poe.trade, added dex to it, it's a very good staple for Astramentis on this build.

For a 2H, Queen's Escape seems to be a very solid choice aswell.

Talking about poor man's Astramentis, have you taken a look at newly improved Carnage Heart?

This is what I am wearing at this moment and it's working pretty well.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info