[2.6] Sasquatch's Fire Roomba™ RF/LL Spellcaster

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forenote:

Don't try this build if you are new to the game.
It's expensive to get running for anything past dried lake (although it runs dried lake very fast). The build will only start to feel good for lake farming around level 70.
Although I impulsively switched into this build at 2.6 league start immediately after I dropped my first Tabula, I would not recommend doing so if you are anything above a casual player as low tier maps will frustrate you.
This build utilizes some semi-complex mechanics and math which may be confusing to new players. I will cover these in the mechanics section, so read it thoroughly.
Also, I don't have a Shav's yet, so while I can project that the build will handle end game content well take it with a grain of salt. I will be updating the guide and recording videos as I handle new content.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click here for Current Character Sheet

TL;DR?
For Path of Building Users: You may import my build using PoB for a look at endgame DPS/potential.
http://pastebin.com/8Wisd2yj

Table of Contents

1. Introduction
2. Gameplay Videos
3. Items
4. Ascendancies, Bandits, Passives and Leveling Tips
5. Mechanics Explanation
6. Links and Gems
7. Gear Explanation
8. Enchantments
9. Map Mods
10. FAQ & Troubleshooting
11. Update History

Introduction
Spoiler

This build uses several different mechanics to stack high defense and more modifiers for our spell casting. It uses RF for clear and a spell of choice for additional DPS on single target.

Defences
• Near max block, utilizing Xirgil's Crank, 4 Reckless Defence jewels and Rumi's Devotion.
• 30% reduced critical damage taken from Belt of the Deceiver, and more with Enfeeble applied
• Semi-reliable in-combat energy shield (ES) recharge due to Xirgil's Crank.
• Up to 11k ES with mid-tier end game ES gear
• High base ES regen (~13%) when RF is deactivated
• Arctic Armour
• Fortify
• Enfeeble
• Stun Immunity at maximum energy shield
• Freeze, Bleed Immunity from flasks
• Consecrated Ground from flasks
• Flask charge gain from Avenger's prefix for sustained bossfights

Offence
• Righteous Fire (RF): Burn enemies around us 50% of our ES per second. AoE just got a nice buff for 2.6 so it feels better than ever before
• Scorching Ray (SR) for our 4-6L: Deals high burn damage. Can be run by itself or in a Cast While Channeling (CwC) setup with Firestorm (recommended) or Flame Surge.
• Elemental Weakness applied by Blade Vortex (BV).
• Semi-Reliable Elemental Overload (EO) for single target.
• Can run Elemental Equilibrium (EE) with BV if using solo SR setup. In this case EO will be much less reliable (dependent on BV critting only). Both options will wind up with similar DPS but EE will take another gem slot for added lighning damage, so chances are that ignoring EE is the way to go.
• Enemies Are Intimidated from Belt of the Deceiver and Profane Bloom ascendancy for another 1.2x more damage.

Gameplay Videos
Dried Lake Run (coming soon)

Required Items

Item

Xirgil's Crank:
The mod here of interest is "20% chance for Energy Shield Recharge to start when you Block." We can stack up to 75% chance to block both attacks and spells, meaning that on average it will take us 6-7 hits for our energy shield to begin recharging after we are damaged. In combination with the Occultist ascendancy Wicked Ward, which gives "Energy Shield Recharge is not interrupted by Damage if Recharge began Recently," we can obtain very strong sustain.

Reckless Defence:
We use 4 of these jewels to get 80% of our block chance applied to spells and up to 4% additional block. The downside is the additional chance to receive a critical strike. We can mitigate the damage multiplier for crits by equipping Belt of the Deceiver, using Enfeeble, and/or aquiring the Indomitable notable on the tree.

Additionally, being crit almost half the times means that we will be ignited, frozen, and shocked far more often. We are already running a flask with the "of Dousing" suffix for RF removal, and the "of Heat" suffix is required for freeze removal. The "of Grounding" suffix can be swapped in on a flask for encounters with lightning damage, but I would recommend using Adrenaline if you want to go fast.

Being crit more often also opens up the option of using the "Avenger's" prefix on our flasks, which restores 3 flask charges every time we're crit.

Try and get as much block as you can afford on these jewels. 2% is fine to start the build with. Crit modifier doesn't matter too much.

Belt of the Deceiver
This item received a buff in 2.6 We use this item to mitigate the downside of Reckless Defence and give a multiplier to our damage.

Rumi's Concoction
Hefty block chance. Get the best roll you can afford. These become quite cheap as the league goes on.

Passives, Ascendancies and Bandits

Spoiler

Occultist
Ascendancy Point Order:
Wicked Ward: Bread and butter ES recharge defense, flat ES
Vile Bastion: Conditional stun immunity and snowballing ES regen
Profane Bloom: More DPS
Malediction: +1 curse

Bandits:
Kill all for each difficulty

Passive Trees

I recommend leveling with Flameblast Totems, or following a FB totem guide if you are aiming to transition into this build from a league starter. You will lose a little bit of damage and defence from not being a Chieftain, but the build will still be strong. Additionally, there should be a low respec cost because the RF build passes by many totem skill clusters.
Level 1-5: x2 Driftwood Sceptres, Fire Trap + Freezing Pulse. Wanderlust
Level 6: Equip Abberath's Horn x2
Level 10: Equip Flame Dash
Level 12: Firestorm
Level 16: Herald of Thunder
Level 18: Faster Casting + Concentrated Effect on Firestorm, add Faster Casting to Flame Dash
Level 24: Switch to Reverberation Rod, same setup for Firestorm
Level 28: Switch to Flameblast Totems
Level 32: Equip Shavronne's Pace

Starting Tree (Level 72)
LVL 72 (maybe a little earlier) is where we can comfortably start running dried lake with RF. To get there, we need to spec into at least 12.6% ES regen flat. We get 9.8% regen on the tree, 1.4-1.6% from a marble amulet (equip at level 74), ~1.5% from vitality, and a little extra from aura effect on the tree with Vitality.

We also need to increase our fire resistance to mitigate the burn DoT from RF. We aim for 82% flat fire resistance. With one of the new +3 to Socketed Gems mods on an Unset Ring, you can get 5% max fire resist Purity of Fire with a level 20 PoF, or do the same with +2 Socketed Gems/level 21 PoF.

Even if you don't have the 12.6% regen or the 82% unbuffed fire resist cap, you can still start farming dried lake with the right flasks. ES regen will be high enough with the snowball from Vile Bastion as long as you keep moving. A Ruby flask and a Sulphur flask are used as well.

Endgame Tree (Level 90)
At this point we are just getting more ES.

Tryhard Tree (Level 100)
We grab more ES and some nearby jewel sockets for damage.

Mechanics Explanation

Spoiler

Righteous Fire
Link to Wiki Page
Righteous Fire is a buff that burns you and nearby enemies for a % of your max life or ES as fire damage. It also gives a considerable more modifier to spell damage.

• Area damage scaling: RF can be scaled with modifiers to fire damage, area damage, and burning damage. Note that it is not scaled by spell damage. Scaling the damage of RF will not subsequetly increase the damage it does to the player.

• Sustaining RF: Consult the wiki for information on the regeneration requirements to sustain RF at each individual value of fire resistance.

• Important Mechanics: RF will prevent ES recharge from starting while active. However, it will not prevent the mod on Xirgil's Crank from activating, which allows 4 seconds of continuous ES recharge.

• Ending RF: RF will not deactivate until your health reaches 1 or you use an effect which removes burning, such as a flask with the "of Dousing" suffix. If you need ignite immunity but still want to use RF, it can be retriggered even during the "of Dousing" effect.

Xirgil's Crank:
Link to Wiki Page
When the block effect of Xirgil's Crank triggers your ES recharge, it allows 4 seconds of uninterrupted ES recharge, similar to the Vaal Discipline gem. It is unclear at this moment if the block effect can retrigger while ES is already recharging. Based on my testing I have seen more than 4 seconds of recharge at once in sustained combat but it's hard to be sure.

• Scaling Xirgil's Defense: We scale the defense offered by this item by increasing energy shield recharge rate, and increasing block chance. In total, we get 80% increased ES recharge rate on the tree, which gives 38% of ES regened per second! When we deactivate RF ES recharge starts after 1.73 seconds or 1.6 seconds with Shav's.

Links and Gems

Spoiler

Main DPS Setup

Scorching Ray - Cast While Channeling - Firestorm - Controlled Destruction - Elemental Focus - Empower

Mobility Setup

Leap Slam - Faster Attacks - Fortify, Enduring Cry
Alternatively, Flame Warp - Faster Casting, Enduring Cry

If you are doing hard content, I recommend using flame warp. It will probably be much more reliable for dodging slams.

RF Setup

RF - Conc Effect - Increased AoE - Ele Focus
You can swap the Conc Effect or AoE for Inc Burning Damage, but I feel good running through packs with Conc Effect after the 2.6 buff to RF AoE.

Curse Setup
CwDT (level 1) - Blade Vortex (level 1) - Curse on Hit - Enfeeble - Elemental Weakness/Blasphemy, Arctic Armour
This goes in your chest once you get shav's. While using Solaris Lorica I recommend self-casting blade vortex and running your mobility setup in the chest.

Utility

Blood Magic - Vitality - Clarity, Enduring Cry
Rings

Aim for +3 Unset Rings and slot your discipline and purity of fire here.

Gear Explanation

Spoiler

Chest
Here we want a Shavronne's Wrappings or a Solaris Lorica for the chaos damage cannot bypass ES modifier. 5L it yourself.

General Rare Gear Guide
Prioritize capping your resists. Afterwards you need at least one good dexterity roll somewhere (gloves, amulet, or rings) in order to get a high level Faster Attacks, Cast while Channeling, and Arctic Armour. You need a total of 64 dexterity for max level on those gems. Get as high ES as affordable elsewhere.

Amulet
We want a Marble Amulet that gives % life regenerated per second. This is a high level base so build the rest of your gear based off of what you still need after getting the amulet and rings.

Rings
Unset Rings with +3 Socketed Gems. Find ones with open prefixes and craft %ES when you have Elreon 7 and the currency.

Jewels
Grab one Energy from Within if you can afford it for the Melding node jewel.

Rare jewel mods are in the order of priority in which they benefit the build
Prefixes:
Maximum ES
Fire Damage

Suffixes:
Attack and Cast Speed
Attack Speed
Increased Damage
Damage over Time/Area Damage/Spell Damage
Dexterity if you still need it on gear

Why do we like attackspeed? Even with faster attacks, Leap Slam feels really poor, and we'd like to be able to have fortify up for hard fights rather than swapping for flame dash. This helps it out a little bit. Damage shouldn't really be needed. If you are strapped on cash aim for max ES +1 damage/attackspeed mod.

Luxury Items
If you can acquire a Presence of Chayula, do so. It will give about 1k additional ES. To replace the lost regen, grab Quick Recovery and place a second Energy from Within in the nearby jewel slot. You should still be able to sustain RF without flasks. Alternatively get a stone golem helmet enchantment.

Delirium Gloves/Horror Helmet
Gives 30% more damage to our RF setup. Very expensive to roll well.

Enchantments

Spoiler

Helmet
Righteous Fire grants 30% increased Spell Damage
12% increased Righteous Fire Area of Effect
12% increased Firestorm explosion Area of Effect
36% increased Arctic Armour Buff Effect
30% increased Enfeeble Curse Effect
150% increased Effect of the Buff granted by your Stone Golems

Gloves
of Light: Creates consecrated ground for 5 seconds when hit with a critical strike
of Spite: Sends out a nova of chilled ground

Boots
Regenerate 1.5% of Life and Mana per second if you were Hit Recently - Pretty obvious. You can respec some of the more inefficient life regen nodes on the tree if you want, or swap the amulet for Presence of Chayula.
12% increased Attack and Cast Speed if you've Killed Recently - Decent if you want to clear with leap slam
8% increased Movement Speed if you haven't been Hit Recently - Best option for running around style clear

Map Mods

Spoiler

• Elemental Reflect: Unsocket Firestorm
• Reduced Recovery: Don't use RF
• No Recovery: Don't use RF
• Vulnerability: Don't use RF
• Reduced Max Resists: Don't use RF
• Critical Strike Multiplier: I don't recommend running, personally. Your enfeeble will not prevent you from being oneshot from offscreen

Update History

3/8/17 Posted

THE END

Last edited by SasquatchBrah on Mar 8, 2017, 11:03:36 PM
Last bumped on Mar 8, 2017, 6:39:09 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info