[2.6] Help with a Shrapnel Shot Build for Legacy League

Hi, I was hoping to get some help as I am trying to work on a Raider Shrapnel Shot build. After several leagues of playing the same build (Flicker Strike) I'm looking to try something new. Hopefully this is the right place to post to get a bit of feedback on my build.

Basics: I'm looking to go a life based, Raider build using a combination of Chin Sol, Point Blank, and the new Threshold Gem, Collateral Damage. I've mocked up most of the build using Path of Building, but I'm unsure how well this will translate into high level mapping as I've never made it past T11 or so, and I'd like to finally kill some endgame bosses this league.

Planned Tree at level 91:

There are a few things I'm not sure on in the tree and other notes on the tree:
1) The cluster of two handed melee nodes down in the duelist area is using a Lionseye Fall jewel to convert them to bow nodes.
2) I usually play acrobatics, so I included it.
3) I'm not sure how necessary Unwavering Stance is, but since I was over by the area and getting stunned sucks, it seemed good.
4) I took pretty much all the life on the tree I thought I could reasonably get (192%). I wanted to be fairly tanky while not sacrificing much DPS or clearspeed.
5) Based on point 4, I decided it wasn't worth it to try and go crit

Any recommendations on tree would be appreciated.

Ascendancy:
Spoiler

Raider
1. Way of the Poacher - Generate Frenzy Charges
2. Avatar of Slaughter - More and Better Frenzy Charges
3. Quartz Infusion
4. Avatar of the Veil

Links:
Spoiler

I'm currently hoping for a 6L consisting of:

Shrapnel Shot + Physical to Lightning + Added Lightning + Weapon Elemental Damage + Elemental Focus + Increased Area of Effect (For Clearing) or Lightning Penetration (for bosses)

In addition:
Wrath
Blaspemy + Elemental Weakness
Bloodrage + Increased Duration
Summon Flame Golem

Cast on Damage Taken + Immortal Call

Gear:

Spoiler

For the Weapon I'm looking to use Chin Sol. For the quiver, I'm not sure if Drillneck after the nerf or potentially just a rare quiver would be better.

2 of the Jewel slots are for the Collatoral Damage gem, and the jewel slot down in the duelist area is for Lionseye Fall.

For Flasks, I'm thinking Vinktar's definitely, and maybe a Dying Sun if I end up with a lot of currency, but nothing else seemed obvious.

I don't currently have any plans for the rest of the gear outside of rares, but any suggestions would be appreciated as I'm sure there are probably some good uniques for this planned build. Since I don't have a lot of planned gem use I was considering a Kaom's for the survivability.

Damage Questions/Calcuations:

Spoiler

I made a pretty basic mockup of this setup in Path of Building and was looking to get some feedback if I am figuring the damage correctly. First, though, I will note that I didn't want to set up an imaginary set of gear, so this mock up is using just the Chin Sol, Drillneck, Two Collateral Damage jewels, and the Lionseye Fall jewel, all with average rolls.

Path of Building doesn't include Point Blank, Chin Sol bonus damage for being close, or the double damage from Collateral Damage in the DPS calculation.

Without those, with Increase Area of Effect socketed, the DPS comes out to 38k for the Arrow and the Cone. So, to calculate the damage at close range, I am assuming it would be:

(Arrow DPS)*(1.5 Point Blank Modifier)*(2.0 Chin Sol Modifier)+(Cone DPS)*(1.5 Point Blank Modifier)*(2.0 Chin Sol Modifier)*(2.0 Collateral Double Damage)

Assuming this calculation is correct, it ends up being 9X shown damage, or about 340k dps.

With Lightning Pen and the "against standard boss" setting, it shows ~35k, and against Shaper/Guardian ~30k, so 315k and 270k respectively.

So, my two questions are:

1) Is the method I used for calculation the DPS correct?

2) While the DPS would be higher with actual gear in the simulation, and this also isn't taking into account attack uptime/mechanics/etc, is this amount of DPS looking like it would be enough to reasonably do endgame maps?

I've spent a little bit of time trying to put together this build, but I think it probably still needs a bit of work.

Thanks for any help!
Last bumped on Apr 27, 2017, 6:08:45 AM
Feel free to check out my Legacy character,

I too am going to make use of the new threshold jewels but opted for a non crit full phys to ele conversion build.

only have 190% life planned so its not going to be a farm shaper for days build its basically my farmer till i get enough currency to build a HoWa.

i have been very very impressed with the build so far and am not even using SS yet , ive been using split arrow + chain for insane clear speed.

going full ele conversion give you so much damage its incredible i dont have anywhere near good gear and am doing 34k TT dps with SPLIT ARROW AND CHAIN FFS.

all depends on what you want the char to do.

keep in mind as much as i hate to admit it its exponentially harder to do end game bosses with Life / eva / dodge than it is for just stacking ES on a char so yeh theres that.
You could basically try out a copy of the HOWA passive tree but with maybe the 0 stun ring instead of unwavering stance.
You could probably get up to 9/10k ES? Not sure as obviously it wouldn't have as much intelligence as HOWA.
For almost full ele conversion you could grab the upgraded signal fire for an extra 25% phys to fire (plus the standard 50% phys-fire).
Cwdt vortex for the leech maybe?
I might try it out later in the league.
I have been leveling on my ranger with Sharpnel Shot with the 2 jewels and it has been amazing so far. I'm still using Stormcloud at 49 and still one shot everything. The only issue is single target against bosses. It's tough.

I think it can work well with Chin Sol, but I don't think Raider would be a good choice because you have to be in almost melee range. I would pick Berserker or Juggernaut.

So I tried this on my Berserker on STD and it works well to be honest. I can 3 shot Voll in merciless with shit gears, plus a Chin Sol ofc. I also did some higher tier maps and it seems to do well. I can 1 shot mobs, but the way the jewel works it sometimes doesn't work so you'll notice a difference sometimes.

My links

Shrapnel Shot -> Physical to Lightning -> Weapon Elemental Damage -> Increased Critical Strikes -> Faster Attacks -> Increase AoE for mob clear or Lightning Penetration for boss killing

I was running Hatred and Assassin's Mark via Blasphemy

Passive Tree - 109 points

Could go Vaal Pact and Cloaked in Savagery as well.

Gears
Spoiler

Better flasks can also improve this build.

This build can easily get 5k life without Kaom's Heart at level 85. I think it would be pretty good with Kaom's because it can rip bosses fairly well. I haven't tried any other uniques that it synergizes with it, but I'm sure there are some better uniques that can be worn.
We're all just walkin' through this darkness on our own.
Last edited by Constraint on Mar 10, 2017, 1:00:20 AM
My friend's playing a similar build this league and he's doing quite well, so well infact that I had to drop my golemancer (I've already bought all the jewels) and rerolled this build instead. What I like the most about the current Shrapnel is that it offers all the benefits LA has, without the downsides of it being an utter crap for single target.

Few things I'd like to say is that Raider is not the best choice for this build imo. You're better off with Deadeye. Far Shot + Endless Munitions + Point Blank offers a quite surprising synergy, it allows Point Blank dmg bonus to still be there post 35 unit range(35% instead of 50% at max projectile distance), which also allows for better clear speed in maps, and Ranged Attack Totem 'exploitation' when necessary. On top of that you'll get significantly higher crits than Raider. You can always gain Frenzy charges by other ways, including Onslaught. And lastly, probably one of the most important one, 50% increased AoE, nuff said. On that note, Point Blank is a must for this build because if I'm not mistaken, it works in the same way that Ice Shot's PB bonus is calculated. The AoE doesn't count as travelling projectile so the cone'll always receive full bonus from PB; That combined with Endless munitions, you'll have the cone shooting up half across the screen.

Quivers, it's gonna be Signal Fire or Skirmish for when you're swapping to totems. Signal Fire is BiS for manual firing. As for bows, I'd think that Chin Sol is probably better with totems, and Doomfletch Prism for manual firing.
Last edited by ultimatecat on Mar 12, 2017, 11:12:25 AM
Been wondering how ur build was doing so far, im starting one right now and trying to figure wich way i will go crit/no crit still aint sure if im goign raider or dead eye (raider addiction issue) so trying to plan my skill tree and all, also wondering if a Choir of the Storm could work somehow on a crit build, anyway , i hope to hear from anyone for some advice soon!
"
Constraint wrote:
I have been leveling on my ranger with Sharpnel Shot with the 2 jewels and it has been amazing so far. I'm still using Stormcloud at 49 and still one shot everything. The only issue is single target against bosses. It's tough.

I think it can work well with Chin Sol, but I don't think Raider would be a good choice because you have to be in almost melee range. I would pick Berserker or Juggernaut.

So I tried this on my Berserker on STD and it works well to be honest. I can 3 shot Voll in merciless with shit gears, plus a Chin Sol ofc. I also did some higher tier maps and it seems to do well. I can 1 shot mobs, but the way the jewel works it sometimes doesn't work so you'll notice a difference sometimes.

My links

Shrapnel Shot -> Physical to Lightning -> Weapon Elemental Damage -> Increased Critical Strikes -> Faster Attacks -> Increase AoE for mob clear or Lightning Penetration for boss killing

I was running Hatred and Assassin's Mark via Blasphemy

Passive Tree - 109 points

Could go Vaal Pact and Cloaked in Savagery as well.

Gears
Spoiler

Better flasks can also improve this build.

This build can easily get 5k life without Kaom's Heart at level 85. I think it would be pretty good with Kaom's because it can rip bosses fairly well. I haven't tried any other uniques that it synergizes with it, but I'm sure there are some better uniques that can be worn.

Why you go for life?
For your question Path of Building doesn't calculated threshold jewel (point blank and chinsol modifier work in this program :D You can check in Configuration>>For effective DPS>>Proj. travel distance and Enemy at close ranged). I think real dps = dps include pointblank and chinsol at close ranged * 2 from jewel :D

doomfletch prism pluss your idea phys x percent phys each ele x double damage = x8 dps no need for close range just enjoy phys / ele leach

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info