Gruthkul's Pelt and Bear Trap

Gruthkul's pelt is currently disabling the use of bear trap as if it was a spell, is this intentional? I was under the impression bear trap was not a spell and was instead tagged with 'cast'. I also tested herald of ice and it was also disabled. Can anyone clarify if I am mistaken in my understanding of 'cast' vs 'spell' tags and how they relate to this new uniques text "your spells are disabled"?
Last bumped on Sep 6, 2017, 6:07:11 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
1. Gem tags are not relevant here.
2. A Cast is still a Spell, it just doesn't deal Spell Damage.
Curious about this, wiki says:

"
Skills marked with the Cast tag deal secondary damage. Cast gems are not spells, and are therefore not affected by modifiers that would normally only modify spells.
The wiki is wrong.
Destrominate here. I'm the creator of the unique item Jaws of Agony and I was really looking forward to this unique item combined with my shield.

How disappointing.

This is one of those things GGG really needs to fix.

The mods in discussion are:

"
Spell Skills deal no Damage
Your Spells are disabled

Bear trap is not affected by any modifiers to spell damage, nor can it be spell blocked or spell dodged. It does have a "cast" tag on it (Which makes no literal sense since it's laid on the ground and not affected by cast speed modifiers in any way-- but that's another issue for another day). However, the "cast" tag is specifically known to not, in and of itself, be affected by any form of spell modifiers.

cast is defined (on the wiki) as the op did above as:

"
Skills marked with the Cast tag deal secondary damage. Cast gems are not spells, and are therefore not affected by modifiers that would normally only modify spells.

Furthermore "secondary damage" is defined (on the wiki) as:

"
Secondary damage is a damage source that is neither a spell nor an attack and as such does not benefit from modifiers to those things. As secondary damage is not an attack or spell, it cannot be evaded, blocked, spell blocked, dodged or spell dodged.[1] Secondary damage still benefits from all modifiers where applicable, some examples being cast speed, elemental damage, and area of effect modifiers.

So according to the definition of "Secondary damage" increases to physical damage should still scale bear trap damage (Which is obvious I know). However, can someone explain to me why doesn't it work with Bear Trap? Is Bear trap a spell or is it not and if it is a spell then it needs to be more clearly marked in game to indicate that it is a spell. OR simply change the text on the item to say "Can only use attacks and warcrys" or something to that affect.

Tags in this game have long sense been incredibly complicated and is not very welcoming to new players. Specifically skills like this, explosive arrow, detonate dead, abyssal cry, etc. A new player is going to see "cast" on a bear trap and thing that means they can increase the throwing speed with cast speed modifiers.

To put the icing on the cake...THE FLAVOR TEXT!

"
Simple is the life of the bear.

Come on...

So can we get some official explanation as to why this doesn't work and confirmation that Bear Trap is a spell even though all signs and evidence in all resources point to it not being a spell?

is this bug fixed ?
"
charmolipi wrote:
is this bug fixed ?

It's not a bug in the first place.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info