[2.5] Berserker Abyssal cry/blight build, pure chaos bomber, so much purple

This is a build I made as the breach league comes to an end, just for fun, I thought I was only making a gimmicky build that couldn't perform, but the resulting character turned out to be quite strong, so here to share with the community is this build guide.

Will be playing this for the legacy league, update when that character is ready.

pros and cons

Pro

1,great clearing speed, AOE can be insane
2,never worried about reflect
3,contribute well in a party, not just the damage, you run around slowing everything down and drawing fire from enemies gonna make you teammate very happy.
4,relatively cheap
5,more monsters means more damage, crazy good at farming breach and similar fights. also great at lab farming
6,abyssal cry = extra portable instant life flask on a low CD, very powerful, in danger just run away and cast waycry.
7,abyssal cry's damage is base on monster's life, so this part of the damage is always at a constant level no matter how high or low the zone level is.

Con
1,certain map boss can be really hard, can't tackle all the content like meta builds.
2,guardians? will be challenging to say the least, do-able but challenging.
3,corrupted bloodline is very dangerous
4,chance to get one shot is higher, require good positioning
5,people might judge you for using a "crap" skill
6,you will hate boss with no adds

mechanics

offense

abyssal cry

We use abyssal cry to apply a debuff to enemy, when the enemy is killed, they explode and deals an AOE chaos damage to the enemies within a radius, explosion from different enemies with the debuff can add up or to say overlap, the damage in this situation is mas mas massive.

The way I set up my character, each explosion can deal damage as big as somewhere between 70% to 80% of a monster's life pool (without boost from sulphur flask and wither totem, oh value is measured by sight), and we all know that in POE, each pack of enemies have the same amount of life, so for each pack you only need to explode 2 to "one shot" the whole pack, and certainly the more the merrier, even if you only manage to trigger only one explosion, all the rest enemies will be easy to kill anyway.

Abyssal cry as a skill even though acts like a spell, but it's not a spell, the tag says area/chaos/duration, so you only have limited options for support gems. Also, this skill cost a ton of mana, but gem level only increased the slow effectiveness, so when use this skill for damage you don't want to level the gem at all.

blight

We use blight here as the bomb trigger skill, this skill deals chaos area dot damage, will benefit from all the passives and gear boosts we chose for abyssal cry.

Like said above in abyssal cry section, we don't need to kill many with blight, but we do need to get the trigger kill fast, that's why we link the skill to conc-effect, not like general Aoe builds use increased aoe gem. As a matter of fact, we sometimes switch to increased aoe for single target boss fight to get some kiting ability, that's kind of funny huh.

Some people say blight is a bad skill, that's not true, this skill has some unique characteristics, so it requires some special planning that's all, Pohx manage to level his occultist to lvl 100 with blight in BHC, I think that's quite a strong indication.

defense

Our defense consists three aspects

Slow
from temporal chains curse
from the first layer of blight
from wither totem in harder fights

Chill(you don't need all of them, get at least 2 would be enough)
from arctic armour
from CWDT vortex
from "xxxx of spite" lab enchantment
from aquamarine flask

life
from higher life pool
from decent life regeneration
from leeching granted by berserker ascendancy passives

you will get hit from time to time, this set of defense is to make sure we don't get hit several time in a roll

Chaos damage, is also something you want to deal with, since with this build you get hit alot, over 75% is recommended. I got 135% which is chaos capped, and feels like I'm playing CI, even against chayula you are in no real danger, chaos res is really awesome.

gear

core item

increase radius, increase chaos damage, and increase duration are all perfect for abyssal cry, BIS.

area is very important for abyssal cry, we want the overlap area as big as possible. BIS

we use two curse-auras and arctic armour, that is 95% mana reserved, with an elreon jewelry we don't worry about mana anymore, it doesn't have to be amulet, could be a ring.

rest of the gear go with high life, ele resist, chaos resist, cast speed if possible,pretty generic.

enchantments we want xxx of spite on glove, I would say it's a must since chill is a big part of our defence , other pieces just get what you can.

budget version

breach of the council and carcass jack are not dirt cheap uniques, especially early in a league, but you can get around with this shortcut combo

this combo can deal good damage, about 75% of the main build, certainly enough to start maps with, but lacking some versatility since you can't replace a built in support gem, also lack of resists. use this to farm dried lake or low tier map for currency until you can afford the core item.

flasks

the must-have flasks are
seething divine life flask of staunching

and chemist's sulphur flask of heat,I don't have one but have the next best thing

witchfire brew helps alot in high tier maps, that's why I also use the overflowing chalice

an aquamarine flask is also good for the chill ground effect, you can replace CWDT vortex with it.

jewels

best mods are life, chaos damage, area damage, damage, cast speed

but those jewels are really really expensive due to poison meta, most likely you will be stuck with crappy life jewel like me.

ascendancy

going Berserker

normal
crave the slaughter

cruel
aspect of carnage(40% more damage)

merciless
warbringer(warcry node)

uber
pain reaver(leech)

bandits

life
skill point or cast speed
skill point

gem setting

abyssal cry + void manipulation + increased aoe, 4th link is life leech before finishing uber lab, and less duration after

blight + void manipulation + rapid decay + controlled destruction + conc effect, 6th link is faster casting (or lvl4 empower), however using a 6l carcass jack you will have to move arctic armour somewhere, maybe replacing faster attack linked to shield charge, losing some mobility.

shield charge + fortify + faster attack for movement, use leap slam for certain situation, for example in Uul-Netol fight you got so many obstacles on the ground you can't shield charge anywhere.

wither + spell totem + increased aoe, 3L is necessary

blasphemy + temp chains + vulnerability

arctic armour, quite a big chunk of our defence, not replace-able, if you don't have enough unreserved mana, take that mana reservation node near CI keystone.

summon lightning golem, take cast speed where ever we can

CWDT combo, 4th link is vortex or vaal lightning trap.

in weapon swap, we want a 6L bow crafted with deafening essence of woe, if you have the money get +1 gem level
essence drain + void manipulation + empower + controlled destruction + poison, 6th link is slower proj or rapid decay, didn't test which is better.
this is our range single target, for some difficult situation, like plateau boss, there's simply nothing to explode with and those totems hits really hard from afar

leveling

level as a two-hand melee character, it's quite generic, this is how I will do it.

start with 1 or 2

cleave + heavy strike

lvl6 switch to 1 or 2

cleave + heavy strike

lvl18 switch to two hand

sweep + heavy strike

lvl33

earthquake + warchief totem, use blasphemy + warlord's mark for sustain, maybe a mana flask

lvl40

earthquake + warchief totem

lvl64

earthquake + warchief totem,this is when you are strong enough for merciless lab

switch to abyssal cry at lvl 66 or later

example character

gear

jewels useful for this build can be really expensive, and it's end of the league, so I didn't bother with them just use whatever trash jewel I had.

stats at lvl92

6226 life
1155 mana, 57 unreserved
299 life regen per sec
ele weakness cap
chaos res cap

5L blight all gems at 20/20, each layer deals 6797 dot for 3.5 seconds, 7185 with sulphur flask , 7828 with both sulphur and witchfire flasks.

variations

occultist, going CI or low life, see pohx https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1790235, and I would say only berserker and occultist abyssal cry build make sense in this version of POE.

videos

plz don't mind the quality, computer is fine, it's the internet connection, I have to use a proxy to upload.

T10 courtyard partial clear https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csF2M0bTwAQ

T12 vault clear, this is an example of undesirable boss, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eXF9TuxgfU

T9 promenade with budget gear, ignore the part I try to do trial, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcJ03_xH6yA

Last edited by TravisL on Feb 24, 2017, 7:47:21 PM
Last bumped on Feb 24, 2017, 11:20:32 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info