Why Not Scour and Alch Maps over using Chaos Orbs?

Title really.

I see a lot of streamers using Chaos Orbs to re-roll maps.

I know an Orb of scouring is worth quite a bit but isn't it still cheaper to scour and alch?

Seems like a chaos orb goes for 1.55 scours at current time on BSC. So if an Alch is basically 1/4 of a chaos isn't it:

0.64 Chaos for the scour
0.25 for the Alch

Total:- 0.89 Chaos.

Not a lot in it but still cheaper???
Last edited by DrHarvey12 on Feb 21, 2017, 6:01:36 AM
Last bumped on Feb 20, 2017, 4:49:21 PM
I don't know why streamers do things. I use scour and alc instead of chaos because to me chaos are worth more to me (can be used to buy things from masters and put Zana mods on maps.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
Last edited by mark1030 on Feb 19, 2017, 2:26:26 PM
today it might be cheaper but other days scours can be worth more (demand decides this) plus chaos orbs are 1 click versus 2 with scour alch
I got a fever and the only prescription, is more cowbell!
"
DrHarvey12 wrote:

in business there is a thing called "transaction costs." in POE it is very simple: in order to do trades you must stop killing monsters (profit) and do the trade. Depending on who you try to trade with this can generate a certain amount of frustration (cost) and take a certain amount of time (also cost, equal to the lost profit).

Thus it is very simple mathematically.

Streamers' (Frustration + Lost Profits for Trading Time) is greater than 0.11 chaos.

EDIT: D3izhistory brings up a good point too, there is a time cost for 2 clicks vs 1 click. It may not seem like much to you but 0.11 chaos doesn't seem like much to the streamers either :P
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Feb 19, 2017, 3:26:41 PM
Because it is inefficient. The opportunity cost is too high.

Try to watch this the beginning of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0nr5I8lq-4.

This video is mainly about farming currency but the keypoint to take away from it is how to play efficiently and an important part of this is to keep downtime at a bare minimum.

That is why you put stash and vendor right next to the portal so you don't have to waste seconds in your hideout. That is why you don't waste time looking thoroughly at items before selling them. That is why you don't spend extra time on rolling maps. That is why you don't spend time to organize or even look through loot between maps.

If you constantly spend an extra minute here and there to cut cost you will also get less income because you are overall less efficient - not just in terms of less currency but also in terms of less experience.

And as explained in the post above the amount of currency saved would not be worth it due to the time you would spend trading for enough scouring and alchemy orbs.
Last edited by Frankenberry on Feb 19, 2017, 4:26:07 PM
Ok - thanks for all the answers guys. That all makes sense.

I'm not a hardcore player where efficiency is paramount. I like sorting all my stuff between runs as it gives my fingers a bit of a break....getting on a bit these days - lol!

"
DrHarvey12 wrote:

I'm not a hardcore player where efficiency is paramount. I like sorting all my stuff between runs as it gives my fingers a bit of a break....getting on a bit these days - lol!

Same with me, I get more play time if I do stop and sort stuff because if I just mindlessly did speed runs I would be bored to tears quickly and just stop playing. Evaluating your loot gives a much needed break and also sometimes you find an cool item.
Fight censorship
https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/
"
Mr_Bill wrote:
"
DrHarvey12 wrote:

Same here. I also love to do random vendor recipes some times. Ever since it has been discovered, I have made a star of wraeclast in every leage. And I still have no idea for what reason I did that or what kind of build could even use them.

Same with me, I get more play time if I do stop and sort stuff because if I just mindlessly did speed runs I would be bored to tears quickly and just stop playing. Evaluating your loot gives a much needed break and also sometimes you find an cool item.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"
DrHarvey12 wrote:
Title really.

I see a lot of streamers using Chaos Orbs to re-roll maps.

I know an Orb of scouring is worth quite a bit but isn't it still cheaper to scour and alch?

Seems like a chaos orb goes for 1.55 scours at current time on BSC. So if an Alch is basically 1/4 of a chaos isn't it:

0.64 Chaos for the scour
0.25 for the Alch

i always do scouring + alch when they are worth less than a chaos. but most of the time i am out of alchs so i have to use chaos anyway.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info