[LHC] 2.6 Ramona's CI Essence Drain

Guide is now fully updated for 2.6!
Thank you for your patience.(💮=◡=)
https://www.twitch.tv/ramonaraces

Hi everyone, this is my current guide for Hardcore 2.6 Essence Drain Occultist (Legacy League).

I'd like to start with "Why should I play Essence Drain?"

Here's why
1) Essence Drain can do almost all content in the game.
-There are some notably difficult encounters e.g. Shaper, but most content is smooth sailing.
-Essence Drain also can do all map mods, not that you necessarily should.
-As Essence Drain is purely Chaos damage, it will struggle against Bosses and encounters with Chaos resistance.

2) It is very durable, while also having amazing damage output.
-Essence Drain only does chaos damage, which means reflect is not an issue.
-Essence Drain prefers CI which gives access to Vaal Discipline, many defensive potions, and a very large 'life' pool.

3) Essence Drain has a very budget friendly start with amazing end game potential.
-Essence Drain is a spell, which scales well from the beginning to the end of your character.
-It has great end game items to set as goals, but are no where near required to start.
-While I can't recommend leveling from the very beginning as Essence Drain, I would say it is very comfortable to play from levels 40-50+.
(Though I have done it a few times, it is possible. Low AoE radius on Contagion feels bad.)

Next I'd like to detail some important mechanics that are essential to understanding Essence Drain.

Mechanics
1) How Essence Drain interacts with Contagion
-Contagion is the bread to the butter that is Essence Drain.
-When a monster dies with Contagion, it releases another Contagion in the area around its corpse.
-If the monster was afflicted with Essence Drain, it is also spread by the resulting Contagion after it has died.
-This is why modifiers to AoE radius are essential, without them Contagion's radius is not large enough to efficiently travel between packs.
-As a side note, Essence Drain's damage does not scale with AoE % damage. Only Contagion's damage will benefit from it, which is why I avoid Amplify from Templar's side of the tree.

2) Essence Drain's passive damage
-Essence Drain does a lot of its damage passively, meaning more casts generally do not mean more damage.
-Depending on your Contagion's AoE radius and zone density, these two casts will clear multiple packs.
-This allows us to mostly ignore Cast speed as a required suffix unlike most spells.
-Additionally this gives us a lot of reaction time, to freely move where we are not focused on dealing damage as it is happening without our constant inputs.

3) No Reflect
-As mentioned before, because this build is entirely based on Chaos damage there is no reflect that can threaten us.
-This like other Chaos abilities greatly increases the map mods you can run.

4) Essence Drain's 'Life Drain'
-Life drain inherently drains life from all mobs while they are affected by the DoT, this provides a decent boost in survivability when mobs aren't instantly exploding.
-This amount is is calculated by multiplying your Essence Drain tooltip DoT damage per second by 0.5% (10,000 x .05 = 500 life per second for each mob afflicted)

Now that you have a better understanding of Essence Drain, let's start with the easy stuff.

Bandits
Kill them all

Normal = Kill
Cruel = Kill
Merciless = Kill

For Normal, skill point is more useful than a Mana/Res boost for CI or HP for Low life.
For Cruel, skill point is more useful than Cast speed.
For Merciless, skill point as this build does not run any charges.

Moving forward, this next section is about the Ascendancy and how to allocate the points.

Ascendancy
I use Occultist as my go to for Essence Drain.
Below is the Ascendancy points I would take, in order of priority.
If you plan to go CI before finishing Uber labyrinth, take Wicked Ward over any other options.

1) Void Beacon
-Nearby enemies lose 20% chaos resistance and 25% life regeneration, solid damage boost.

2) Profane Bloom
-This mechanic allows for cursed enemies to have a 25% chance on death to deal 20% of their max HP as chaos damage. (Similar to Abyssal Cry, more damage but not guaranteed)

3) Malediction (or Vile Bastion)
-Malediction grants us dual curse and allows for tri-curse once Whispers of Doom is picked up.
-Vile Bastion is another very defensive option, I will go more into detail in my gearing section about this choice.

4) Wicked Ward
-This grants an additional 100 flat ES and is our Mini Vaal Discipline.
-A very large defensive boost and can be abused to handle Labyrinth traps very safely.

Here are the skill trees I have used, while leveling and end game variations.

Skill Trees
Leveling
This depends on how quickly you can get the ES gear required to go CI.
I will include trees up to Level 84, by then hopefully you have the gear.

Notes

I do not allocate points for Whispers of Doom until the 109 tree, take these nodes whenever you see fit.
10 Points
poeurl.com/2YZ

20 Points
poeurl.com/2Y1

30 Points
poeurl.com/baIE

40 Points
poeurl.com/baIF

50 Points
poeurl.com/baIH

60 Points
poeurl.com/baII

70 Points
poeurl.com/baIS

86 Points
poeurl.com/bbvF

97 Points
poeurl.com/bbvH

106 Points (Life Level 82)
poeurl.com/bbv0

106 Points (ES Level 82)
poeurl.com/bbv3

CI End Game
This section is based off the Uniques I use for my ED build.
I will include the trees I would use, yours might look different.

CI Pre Voidwalker Boots
poeurl.com/bbv5

CI Final
poeurl.com/bb0s
Low Life
This section is still a work in progress.

Unfortunately while Low Life is a very critical aspect for Essence Drain, I opted for a Skin of the Loyal during Breach league.

If you really need help making the switch, drop two points and put them into Pain Attunement/Arcane Vision.

Throw Blood Magic+Clarity+Aura of your choice in weapon instead of Contagion.

Drop Vaal Clarity and Inc Duration in Boots and put Contagion in your Vaal Setup instead.

These are the skill gems I use or would recommend using.

Gems
Chest

-These gems are listed in priority.

-ED->Controlled Destruction->Void Manip->Pierce->Rapid Decay->Slow Proj/Empower

-Please note, Slower Projectiles is what we drop for Empower.

-Empower is a huge DPS increase but is not necessary and should only be used at levels 3+

-If you decide to use Voidwalker boots, you will drop Pierce and run Slower Projectiles.
Helm

-As I prefer Heretic's Veil as my end game helm, I always use my curses in my helm.

-If you don't plan on using one, feel free to slot the Blasphemy and curses in another 4 link.

-I wouldn't personally use the Enhance in this setup until level 3+

-We run an additional Blasphemy in Heretics as the one provided has no quality.

-If you are running a 21/20 Blasphemy, it will also be level 22 and take priority granting 20% the quality.

-You may want to run Vulnerability in Helm links before you can afford a Witchfire Brew.
(I wouldn't personally drop the defenses from Temp Chains and Enfeeble)
Gloves

-Gloves and Boots are kind of interchangeable with their gem links.

-If you run Voidwalkers you should always use this setup in your gloves to save on Chromatics.

-You must split the links 3/1 for Discipline to work on your character and not on Spell Totem.
Boots

-I have updated this setup to an Abyssal Cry for a few reasons.

-First being that this extra damage is very useful in clearing stronger packs of monsters.

-Second dropping Increased Duration in favor for Abyssal Cry means we only need 79 Strength (until level 4 empower)

-Lastly I dropped Vaal Discipline after the changes, I would recommend using a Blood Rage in your weapon swap + a Soul Strike quiver to have a similar effect.
Weapon

-Shield Slam is still the preferred movement skill.

-The downside is we cannot avoid awkward terrain pathing without Flame Dash in a different gem setup.

-Vaal Lightning Trap moved here to slot Abyssal Cry.
Shield

-Increased AoE is the only link is necessary.

-You can drop Faster Casting for Item Rarity, Discipline, Portal, Flame Dash, etc.

-Potential to use Enhance in the future to grant an extra 12% Increased Area of Effect.

Last but not least, let's go over the gear options.

Gear
Leveling

Notes
-Standard leveling caster gear, feel free to use anything you find helps in the early levels.

-If you can't afford a Tabula, a 3 link Lifesprig is strong enough for most of your leveling.

-You will want to purchase a cheap 5 link Evasion based chest to run 3 green and 2 blue before converting to CI.

Early CI

Notes
-While staying within your budget, pick up as much ES/Int as you can afford while maintaining capped resistances.

-I would recommend for usable starter gear to use Essences of Woe to craft Helm/Gloves/Shield.

-Rainbowstride are amazing for the price, I used them until I switched to Voidwalkers.

-Picking up a dagger with the Delirium Essence craft is a very important boost to your damage.

-You can use The Consuming Dark or the Poison gem before you have access to a Delirium Dagger.

-You may only be able to afford a Valyrium before purchasing a Eye of Chayula, while not ideal you need a form of stun immunity before starting maps.

My Gear and End Game options

Notes
-Delirium dagger ideally has a high spell damage roll and high attack speed , if you can craft spell damage it's still a very solid dagger and attack speed is just quality of life.

-Heretic's Veil gives a great survivability boost, and allows you to drop the Charisma aura nodes near Ranger.

-Voidwalkers allows you to drop the Pierce nodes from Ranger, this is a total of 6 points which I allocate to Skittering Runes near Scion.

-Skin of the Loyal allows us to theoretically have a level 26 Essence Drain.
(21/20 +1 gems from Skin and Level 5 Empower)

-When upgrading to Skin of the Loyal from a 5 link and slotting my level 3 Empower my damage nearly doubled. (roughly a 1.8x damage increase)

-Rings, Belt and Shield will be the primary sources of your resistances, strength, and dexterity.

-With the amount of unique items I run, keep these in mind before upgrading your items.

-A +1 curse amulet is not a requirement but allows you to drop Malediction for Vile Bastion. (This is a considerable defensive boost that you cannot obtain otherwise)

Potions

Notes
-I choose to run Ignite removal over Shock removal to enter the Wicked Ward recharge as soon as possible.

-You certainly might prefer Shock removal, I did use it for most of my time on this character.

-Other potions to consider would be Dying Sun for more offense or Rumi's for more defense.

-Witchfire Brew is an absolute must for the price, it allows us to run the third curse Vulnerability and gives 50~70% DoT damage.
(I generally pick it up very shortly after my CI conversion)

Jewels

Notes
Your ideal Jewels would have these mods, in this order.

1) % Maxiumum Energy Shield
2) % Spell damage with Shield
3) % Projectile Damage/Spell Damage
4) % Damage over Time

-There are other notable affixes such as % damage or % spell damage but they are not ideal.

-You may need to pick up other affixes to meet stat or resistance requirements.

Labyrinth Enchantments
-Keep in mind none of these are necessary for the build to function.

Helmet: 40% Increased Essence Drain Damage
Boots: 2% Life and Mana regen per second
Gloves: Decree of War

-Boots enchantment has some flexibility but I would recommend the regen over the others.
-Gloves are the least important enchant, most others are completely fine.
Essence Crafting
Essence of Woe
Ideal Stats:
Helm: 250+ ES
Shield: 300+ ES
Gloves 100+ ES
Int rolls are great and keep in mind the resistances you need to cap.

These are likely what you will use for your early CI gear crafting.
They can be a very good source of early CI gear with little investment.
I would recommend using your best judgment whether it's worth it to RNG craft with these or buy early CI gear.
Essence of Delirium
Ideal Stats:
High spell damage (or room for Catarina spell damage craft prefix)
Attack speed (or room for Vagan attack speed craft suffix)

This can definitely be tricky and sometimes you have to take what you can get.
Delirium essences are very pricey but well worth the investment.
I would recommend buying one instead of crafting one if possible.
Essence of Envy
Ideal stats:
Resistances you need to cap.
Attributes you need to use your gems and items.
Intellect
Flat ES
Room for % ES craft (Elreon craft)

I would probably have to cut uniques or have the most insane Envy rings for my setup.
Keep in mind you have other much larger sources of damage you can invest in for a lot cheaper.
Envy Rings are probably the very last thing I would ever consider trying to fit into my build.
Simply because of the requirements of my current that allow me to run this many uniques.

[WIP] Finally, FAQ, screenshots, videos, additional notes.

Everything else
FAQ
Double dipping
My current version of the build does not use The Consuming Dark or the Poison Gem.
As a result there is no Double dipping mechanic I am taking advantage of.
How Double dipping interacts with Essence Drain
-Double dipping refers to when gaining one source of damage, affects your damage in more than one way.
-With Essence Drain this refers to the initial projectiles damage, then scaling the resulting Poison damage from The Consuming Dark or Poison gem.
-Modifiers to Damage/Spell Damage/Chaos Damage/Projectile Damage scale your initial hit, which scales your DoT damage, while also separately scaling your DoT damage.
-I would suggest viewing my professional drawing to better understand
http://i.imgur.com/4JOkgeU.png
-As you can see these four modifiers are more desirable, Damage over Time modifiers while good, do not double dip.
Delirium VS The Consuming Dark

"
ex_sonic wrote:
So dagger with the Delirium Essence craft is better than The Consuming Dark? Just ask. I saw Liftingnerdbro video where he say that The Consuming Dark win vs Delirium. Or it's was on old updates?

Hi ex_sonic

My opinion would be that it may depend on how well your Delirium dagger is rolled.
From my personal experience, I played for quite a few levels with The Consuming Dark and could notice a significant damage increase when switching.

The main things I would note is:
-For bosses that are immune to Poison are not immune to the Decay damage from Delirium.
-The spell damage can roll higher than the 40-60% from The Consuming Dark.
-The Sai has the 6% block chance implicit, which is more useful than the crit chance for ED.
-An ideal attack speed roll makes a big difference for your shield charge speed.
-As seen here, Delirium also scales with all your modifiers. It is not just the flat amount. http://i.imgur.com/Mzo0wFd.jpg
-Not to mention any other useful stats you may or may not roll with a Delirium craft.
-Lastly, as the Delirium is a flat amount of added damage, shield charge will kill lower level mobs.
(Mostly quality of life but Poison is a percentage amount and shield charge does not do meaningful damage.)

*Edit*
The main other difference I should include is that with The Consuming Dark, Poison absolutely has the potential to scale higher than the Delirium's decay.
The poison is what allows Essence Drain in this case to double dip.
The trade off you will need to consider is the amount of additional casts to hit a break even point.
I personally find being able to freely move rather than spam casting (which I don't prioritize cast speed) as more useful.
I should also mention that with the current final version of my character, I have not run into issues caused by a lack of damage.
Solo vs Party play
"
imoix wrote:
I used to play ED in Ascendancy league. Congrats for making me think it again for the next 2.6 and also well detailed guide.

How does your build works with parties? Is it worth it viable? Have you try it? Or is intended to be Solo play style.

Thanks.

Hi imoix,

I honestly played mostly solo.
That's not to say it it isn't capable of doing group play by any means.
I would say if will feel better solo than in a party.
You may run into issues with mobs dying that prevents your contagion from spreading.
Or depending on your damage and party size it may not be reliable for Essence Drain to do enough damage.
I would say from my experience it won't hold up to the top clear speed builds, it's a bit slower and steady in comparison.
Though it totally depends on you and your groups playstyle.
I'll be uploading videos soon if you would like to see how the build performs for yourself!
Hopefully that will help your decision a little better.
Why not Vile Bastion
"
xAgility wrote:
Why not Vile Bastion? It seems like such a good defensive option

Hi xAgility,

Vile Bastion is definitely a great defensive option!
I personally would not take it over TriCurse before having a +Curse amulet.
Or over Void Beacon's damage.
I do use Vile Bastion once I have a +Curse amulet.
What if Chaos Reflect is added?
"
Giammafix wrote:
"
Ramona wrote:
-Essence Drain only does chaos damage which means reflect is not an issue.
what about the likely introduction of "chaos reflect" in next patch? :(

Hi Giammafix,

Do you have a source for this information?
This is the first I've heard of it being a possible change.

If it were added to the game through Essence Drain would be fine.
Reason being the initial hit of Essence Drain which is the Chaos damage, is a minuscule portion of the damage.
Almost all of the damage comes from our Damage over Time that the Essence Drain causes.
This like any other Damage over Time (see ignite), is non-reflect damage which means we do not have any issues.
Also take into account that as CI we are immune to chaos damage, which would nullify any chaos damage reflected to us.
Even if it were possible that we could take this damage, a mediocre amount of ES for this build would be 10k (assuming decent Vaal Regalia).
This is a pretty large amount, and after the initial hit we wouldn't be concerned with any additionl reflect damage.
Now if you were Low Life with Shavronne's Wrappings it may be a different story, but this guide is for CI and I wouldn't worry about it.

tl;dr If they added chaos reflect, the initial hit of Essence Drain does not do enough damage to threaten us.
2.6 AoE changes
"
xAgility wrote:
What do you think how will contagion be after the aoe changes? Seems nerfed

Hi xAgility,

This should give you a rough idea of the Contagion radius after the AoE changes.
This is not a perfect representation and is subject to change before the patch goes live.
http://poecraft.com/legacy/aoenerf
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/5wja41/26_area_of_effect_nerf_simulator_more_details_in/

2.6 Heretic's Veil nerfs
"
Dyyce wrote:
Hey Ramona - With the nerf on heretics, am I correct in assuming that you must now have a 21/20 blasphemy inside the heretics in order to get the blasphemy quality bonus?

If so - would you still use a heretics before getting a 21/20 blasphemy?

Hi Dyyce,

You are correct.
Unfortunately with these changes you will need a level 21 Blasphemy for it to reach the same level as the 22 Blasphemy on Helm.
This means if you do want to gain the quality bonus from a Blasphemy gem it will need to be level 21.

I may still use a Heretics regardless, as the mana reservation is very useful, though others may not find it as necessary.
Feel free to opt out of it until a level 21 Blasphemy if it suits your playstyle better.
What should I level with?
"
FeanorFinwe wrote:
Hi Ramona,

Looks like a great build. Thanks for the effort to make it comprehensive. Thinking of running this in Legacy, have been wanting to try out ED for a while now. What would you recommend as a leveling skill? Firestorm? Switching level 40?

Thanks very much :)

Hi FeanorFinwe,

Yeah any generic league starter like Firestorm is a great option!
I recently for my SSF-HC series did ED from around level 20.
This was when I picked up the Corruption node in the tree.
I just wouldn't recommend it because of Contagions low AoE radius to start with.
I would say it definitely feels better once you are able to run the Increased AoE with your Contagion.
As a small note, Essence Drain will always feel better/smoother the later you switch.
When you choose to switch is totally up to your preference.
Why Abyssal Cry?
I'll summarize briefly on these changes.

The only real downside to running Abyssal Cry is you don't have room for CWDT-IC anymore.
I had at least two free gem links after removing Vaal Disc and Inc Duration.
(Which lowered the amount of Strength required for the build.)

*Note*
Abyssal Cry and Profane Bloom can trigger from the same monster (corpse).
There is no downside to running both, it simply means stronger packs, Rares or Bosses will die much quicker.
The main issue is I would not allocate more points to say Skill Effect Duration to scale my poison further.
(As my normal Essence Drain does not scale poison damage.)
Though I would note, modifiers to AoE damage, DoT damage, Chaos damage and 'Damage' do scale the poison.
With all but the DoT damage modifier double dipping.

I personally find it hard to justify any other use of the slots I had available.
All in all it should smoothen out the playstyle of the build with no real downsides.
Unfortunately I would like to slot a flame dash but I cannot personally justify removing another gem slot currently.

In other news, if you do plan on running similar uniques to mine I would certainly encourage you to use Void Barrier.
10 Strength would be incredibly easy to find on gear, 24% all resistance would not.

Hopefully this helps. :)
Screenshots
[WIP]
-For my Hideout tooltip DPS and Character Sheet.

Additional notes
[WIP]
-While this build was created for Hardcore, I honestly would not make any changes for Softcore.

Thank you to anyone who read the guide!

Any feedback would be much appreciated as this is the first guide I have written.

~Ramona
Last edited by Ramona on Mar 22, 2017, 6:26:06 PM
Last bumped on Jun 23, 2017, 11:38:41 PM
Reserved
So dagger with the Delirium Essence craft is better than The Consuming Dark? Just ask. I saw Liftingnerdbro video where he say that The Consuming Dark win vs Delirium. Or it's was on old updates?
Nice guide baby boy =D

Keep up the good work !
(✿ =‿‿=)
"
ex_sonic wrote:

Hi ex_sonic,

My opinion would be that it may depend on how well your Delirium dagger is rolled.
From my personal experience, I played for quite a few levels with The Consuming Dark and could notice a significant damage increase when switching.

The main things I would note is:
-For bosses that are immune to Poison are not immune to the Decay damage from Delirium.
-The spell damage can roll higher than the 40-60% from The Consuming Dark.
-The Sai has the 6% block chance implicit, which is more useful than the crit chance for ED.
-An ideal attack speed roll makes a big difference for your shield charge speed.
-As seen here, Delirium also scales with all your modifiers. It is not just the flat amount. http://i.imgur.com/Mzo0wFd.jpg
-Not to mention any other useful stats you may or may not roll with a Delirium craft.
-Lastly, as the Delirium is a flat amount of added damage, shield charge will kill lower level mobs.
(Mostly quality of life but Poison is a percentage amount and shield charge does not do meaningful damage.)

*Edit*
The main other difference I should include is that with The Consuming Dark, Poison absolutely has the potential to scale higher than the Delirium's decay.
The poison is what allows Essence Drain in this case to double dip.
The trade off you will need to consider is the amount of additional casts to hit a break even point.
I personally find being able to freely move rather than spam casting (which I don't prioritize cast speed) as more useful.
I should also mention that with the current final version of my character, I have not run into issues caused by a lack of damage.
Last edited by Ramona on Feb 25, 2017, 9:22:58 PM
Thanks alot for the detailed build, i was thinking of starting an essence drain based build in the new league but now i have a few questions.

Wouldnt be Breath of the Council Sceptre the best weapon for this build?
Beside chaos damage it pushes Contagion area and duration as well.

Why is piercing so important here? Why all the points to get it to 100%? To better get rid of totems or bosses with the unkillable aura? Or do i miss something?

Ive read that Profane Bloom and Contagion not working well together. Did GGG fix it or was it just a rumor? From the look of it, it doesent seem to help much in this build and is only a step to Malediction for the tri-curse setup.

Why did you skip Method of the Madness and all the chaos/phy nodes next to Shadow? Arent they worth it and why?

Last question is about the huge respec from life to CI.
You need more than 40 points (i stopped counting) at lvl 84 for the respec, which looks like a waste.
Wouldnt it be better to have a good mix of life and shield before you do the CI transition, making the respec alot smoother?
Nodes like Melding or Written in Blood are pushing both life and ES and going for ES instead of Spell damage early on would grand a much bigger shield (and less respec).
Wicked Ward should help to protect the low life pool too.
"
Xirce wrote:
Thanks alot for the detailed build, i was thinking of starting an essence drain based build in the new league but now i have a few questions.

Wouldnt be Breath of the Council Sceptre the best weapon for this build?
Beside chaos damage it pushes Contagion area and duration as well.

Why is piercing so important here? Why all the points to get it to 100%? To better get rid of totems or bosses with the unkillable aura? Or do i miss something?

Ive read that Profane Bloom and Contagion not working well together. Did GGG fix it or was it just a rumor? From the look of it, it doesent seem to help much in this build and is only a step to Malediction for the tri-curse setup.

Why did you skip Method of the Madness and all the chaos/phy nodes next to Shadow? Arent they worth it and why?

Last question is about the huge respec from life to CI.
You need more than 40 points (i stopped counting) at lvl 84 for the respec, which looks like a waste.
Wouldnt it be better to have a good mix of life and shield before you do the CI transition, making the respec alot smoother?
Nodes like Melding or Written in Blood are pushing both life and ES and going for ES instead of Spell damage early on would grand a much bigger shield (and less respec).
Wicked Ward should help to protect the low life pool too.

Hi Xirce,

I'll do my best to over your questions.

1) Breath of the Council
I would compare to my latest post about the benefits of a Delirium Dagger.
For a few notes, the elemental damage does not scale with our Essence Drain while the Block implicit is a very large defensive boost.
The Chaos damage while nice can be exceeded on a Delirium dagger without factoring the Decay damage. Decay being the important damage source.
The increased AoE is the only real affix that is truly advantageous but that would not make me prefer Breath.
Lastly the Chaos Skills duration is definitely a big Quality of Life against stronger mobs/bosses but I would not prefer it over more damage or more defenses.
I would not say it is best in slot but I would consider it a relatively strong alternative.

2) Pierce is optional
Before being able to afford or have access to Voidwalker boots you would not be able to efficiently clear allied cannot die packs.
I say efficiently but it can be impossible to clear these packs based off the rare or totems position.
Not to mention you gain 0-19% more projectile damage multiplier.

3) Profane Bloom and Essence Drain
I personally would use Profane Bloom, I find it a lot more helpful than harmful.
I honestly know people who hate the interaction but in terms of my experience I did not find it as negative for others.
I'll be uploading the videos soon if you would like to view how my interaction is with Profane Bloom.

4) Method Madness/Shadow Chaos Nodes
I do use Method to Madness depending on the skill tree.
Out of all damage nodes I invest in I find them the least important/efficient.
As for the Shadow nodes, they are definitely good but I don't find the investment worth it for my tastes.
A lot of the nodes I prioritize are primarily defensive or utility options.
Again this is a build for Hardcore and did not run into a lack of damage.

5) CI Respec
I'll revisit the Tree and give you a full count of points required.
I will say I've revisited the life based tree recently to avoid having too large of a respec cost.
The main reason I would not recommend anyone play a hybrid while leveling is you will be spreading your defenses too thin.
It's much easier to invest in the life nodes and only focus on life and resistance on gear, rather than investing half an half and getting mediocre scaling on both.
I would say it's a much more valid option if you have access to hybrid gear while leveling already but I'm not going to assume that everyone does and build my trees for it.
In my 107 skill tree, right before the respec, I do take both Melding and Written in Blood fully. And I do prioritize them well before this version of the tree.
This is with Hardcore in mind. A Softcore version of this tree likely would find the Scion life wheel unnecessary.

Hope this helps!

*Edit*
I've done the math the total respec is 42 points currently.
This would cost 18 regrets if you did every respec request.
I may make a Softcore version of the leveling tree for those that need a separate less life focused start. Unfortunately I have not decided yet.
Last edited by Ramona on Feb 25, 2017, 9:20:55 PM
I used to play ED in Ascendancy league. Congrats for making me think it again for the next 2.6 and also well detailed guide.

How does your build works with parties? Is it worth it viable? Have you try it? Or is intended to be Solo play style.

Thanks.
"
imoix wrote:

Thanks.

Hi imoix,

I honestly played mostly solo.
That's not to say it it isn't capable of doing group play by any means.
I would say if will feel better solo than in a party.
You may run into issues with mobs dying that prevents your contagion from spreading.
Or depending on your damage and party size it may not be reliable for Essence Drain to do enough damage.
I would say from my experience it won't hold up to the top clear speed builds, it's a bit slower and steady in comparison.
Though it totally depends on you and your groups playstyle.
I'll be uploading videos soon if you would like to see how the build performs for yourself!
Hopefully that will help your decision a little better.
Last edited by Ramona on Feb 21, 2017, 1:35:39 AM
Hi Ramona,

Wow! Thank you for the fast and detailed answers on all of my questions, really appreciate it. :)

If pierce is important for the cannot die packs, isnt 50% enough then? I not really want to invest all the extra points to push it to 100.
Voidwalker needs phasing to give you full piercing. If you hit a cannot die pack without having killed something shortly before you are in trouble. ;)

Glad to hear that the interaction between Profane Bloom and Essence Drain isnt an issue since i am planning to do a tri-curse setup.

You are right, this is a HC build and a mix of life and ES doesent look too healthy.
But i like to play SC with HC viable builds since i like the extra safety. Do you think i could start with the ES nodes right away, ignore the witch spell damage nodes and the scion life wheel to end up with a life / ES based build before the CI transition?

It would be great if you could do a SC variant for ppl like me who are afraid of the big respec. :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info