[2.5]Asuna_San's Solo Self Found Rare Find Block Tank

Hello! Welcome to my first build. The idea behind this build is to create a very tanky toon for HC SSF. I have theory crafted this for a long time but never actually implemented it, so please bare with me.

Explaining how this build works:
Spoiler
The idea is you stack shield defense, armour, and elemental resistances in the passive tree.

Shield defense because most of the shield passives also have damage on them allowing us to grab defensive skills for hardcore while also picking up damage to stay competitive.

Armour and evasion plus the Iron Reflexes passive allow us to stack a MASSIVE amount of armour and physical damage reduction even on SSF gear.

Elemental resists because you are going to be looking for the best rare find gear you can get your hands on and this might mean you dont get to focus on resists.

Finally we come to the rare find. You want 2 gold rings, gold necklace, and any rare find on other gear you can grab. Life is still more important as well as triple resist or high chaos resist but the way we build the passives lets you focus more on rare find gear which makes this a great starter build for a new league.

Gear and gems:
Spoiler
You want armour/evasion gear because of Iron Reflexes and the passives that boost armour and evasion. Life everywhere and rare find where possible. if you can get the first 2 and resists then you are doing very well for yourself.

Gems we are going for:
Blade Flurry - Faster attacks - increased melee - rare find support (4l chest) - increased fire - (5l chest)
Shield Charge - Faster attacks - fortify - culling strikes
Riposte - increased melee - increased fire - Reckoning
Vengeance - increased melee - increased fire - golem (your pick)
Herald of ash - Arctic armour

Basically we want to have a main attack that does really well with block. Since a lot of your damage is coming from your counter attacks, Blade Flurry which keeps you in 1 place, allows you to soak in the blocks while also doing great damage to everything around you or that 1 rare/unique enemy.
Shield charge lets us move around quickly and also finish off bosses and rares with culling strikes.
Counter attacks augmented by supports gives you a large amount of damage without having to do anything.
Herald, golem, arctic armour are augments to your damage and survivability.

The passive tree:
Spoiler
The passive tree is built up to level 80ish because most rare find builds cap out around here as you just want to get access to map content to start farming loot and currency. If you plan to take this further, I recommend building for more life where ever possible.

http://poeplanner.com/AAQAAOkkAwByuR0V7IrwxILpRsqQhNlHfr02ZU2-pxm0LYMVIAkz0TbiLN0NcsOrC8wGL8zBgk1GYuy2ioTv2sF07QUteu9AoCFgRJ5Tu3TxKaXAvwSHj5kyThuXrK8M96mVLOkA7oazKk0_J0rIiq-QEYLke8NuqrXyNZLYvf4Ktz6DzDwtg1_GrsT2r6c9DwY5gFZPfVFg8wb7qiftGS7ZYa2Nz35XDdIhah5qO_IvHOcaPn7ieTlfPxQg7w5QR2qTTP_WWPaj73rTfkjuPeJ4ri5T02-_1Xasj2AGiyDjX9oKJr54bNiBmz0AAAAAAAA=

Bandits and Ascendancy explained:
Spoiler
Bandits are largely up to you and might I remind you they aren't final choices. You can vendor recipe your choices afterwards. I went 40+ life, passive, passive.

Ascendancy is Gladiator because of the block and bleed passives. You go block first and bleed last. Block is important for leveling in cruel and merciless, especially the spell block. Bleed adds a lot of damage over time to your build which allows you to apply bleed with your counter attacks and just layer on the damage that this type of build would normally have trouble with. Obviously a lot of end game bosses have bleed immunity so I dont recommend attempting them.

Again this is my first build that I've made myself. I know there are others like it, but with SSF coming up, I thought it would be a good idea to bring this style back to attention as its VERY good for leveling and early map content.

If you have any questions, please feel free to message me!
Last edited by CaptBronzebeard on Feb 11, 2017, 5:03:21 PM
Last bumped on Feb 14, 2017, 2:14:31 AM
Bump
Way too little life. There's no point in stacking resistances on a tank with a shield. Your shield and gear will take care of the resistances. Just follow Sovyn's lazy pally build instead while gearing for MF.

Here's a basic break-down for most builds:

-You want at least 180% life before jewels for pretty much any life build on the left side of the tree.

-Choose one: Crit or Non-crit. If crit you usually stay on the right side of the tree. If non-crit you pick up RT. With your current build you wouldn't hit a white mob in merciless.

-If you're stacking block remember that your damage will suffer. In SSF this will be even bigger of an issue. You have no way of easily increasing your damage. You can't trade for a better weapon, you can't simply buy an atziri flask (You have to do Atziri) etc.

-Resistances from the tree are secondary and should not be a major factor in the build unless you're attempting to utilize things like The Perfect Form, Formless inferno etc. But if thats the case you use flasks and auras to utilize that in the end as well not the tree.

Overall you have to learn a lot more about the game before posting any sort of build.
Why so serious?
Last edited by sidorasek on Feb 12, 2017, 10:10:13 PM
Try more life - I'm doing a similar build at the moment, selffound but sponsored by papi (another char from me found this:

So I thought building a glad tank with it.

Tree with Level 66:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAQCAABeAecEhwUtBosILgz3FCAVIBmOGbQaPhpVG60g4yP2LOktgy_MMHw26D3iQKBGt0d-SO5NklBHVw1fOV8_YSFi7GVNaGVs2G5pdO12rHiueTl673zZfXV-4oIHhNmE74azivCNfZstns2jiqcwqZWsr62NsbO2ir02vni-p8C_wYLKkM9-0iHTb9N-1fjZYdrB5FHpRunV6hjtg-8O73ryL_JB85v2o_cy_ro=

It's WIP - all life nodes that are already touched will be taken, + the sword node on the right with 4% block.

If I'm 90+, I can either go more tanky by taking endurance nodes, or going for a light crit build taking the sword crit nodes + change the pathing to the right tree. It will result in ca 50% crit, which can bee boostet to 75% with a potion. But it will need a 6-link to be effective.

There is another twist in the build: I've taken a warchief totem in the gloves in a virtual 5 link, togesther with bloodlust. With bosses, bleeding comes from flurry + gladi tree very fast. Then the totem has very strong damage multipliers.

I tried a T7 zana map while not finished with A2 and a
as weapon - damage is almost enough, defenses are too light at the moment, only 3.6k life so far.

While leveling, breaches as the main difficult parts are no problem. Neither from the receiving part but also with dishing out enough damage - the totem helps here being at nominal 8k dps (54% more when target is bleeding) with the daresso.

Ideal damage potions would be lions (also defense, will never drop), atziri (have to kill her because selffound) and a crit potion (easy), flat damage while not crit.

For flurry, go for lots of attack speed to dish up charges fast - in breaches it's a Damage - shield charge to a not so crowded position - damage - situation, so getting the +120% more damage as fast as possible is a good thing.
Last edited by Llyrain on Feb 13, 2017, 5:53:04 AM
"
sidorasek wrote:
Way too little life. There's no point in stacking resistances on a tank with a shield. Your shield and gear will take care of the resistances. Just follow Sovyn's lazy pally build instead while gearing for MF.

-You want at least 180% life before jewels for pretty much any life build on the left side of the tree.

-Choose one: Crit or Non-crit. If crit you usually stay on the right side of the tree. If non-crit you pick up RT. With your current build you wouldn't hit a white mob in merciless.

-If you're stacking block remember that your damage will suffer. In SSF this will be even bigger of an issue. You have no way of easily increasing your damage. You can't trade for a better weapon, you can't simply buy an atziri flask (You have to do Atziri) etc.

-Resistances from the tree are secondary and should not be a major factor in the build unless you're attempting to utilize things like The Perfect Form, Formless inferno etc. But if thats the case you use flasks and auras to utilize that in the end as well not the tree.

Overall you have to learn a lot more about the game before posting any sort of build.

Where to begin lol... The build is supposed to cap out at 80 with the purpose of finding loot for other characters. This is by no means a end all be all build, I said that in my build as well.

-I said several times, life on everything, if you plan to go further, get more life nodes. This has enough life at level 80 to do low end maps, combined with your max elemental resists, block, and armour, you have more then enough layered defenses.

-You are right, I didnt pick up any crit or RT. I leave that up to the player and the gear they find, as this is a solo self found build, you cant limit yourself to one or the other, you have to build around the gear you find.

-We stack block, yes, but a lot of shield talents in the duelist area of the tree also stack damage with that block. Again, this is a low tier map ssf rare find build. We dont need crazy DPS, just enough for clear speed to be decent.

-This build as I made VERY clear focuses entirely on rare find so that you can have those uniques you need for your next toon. Because of this, we take rings, amulet, and armour that has rare find on it, thus having one less modifier for other things. since you dont want to give up life on your gear, and attributes allow you to level gems higher, resistances are where we start to build in the tree for, so you dont have to worry about not having enough of one resist or another.

Overall you have to learn a lot more about reading the build before posting any sort of comment.
"
Llyrain wrote:
Try more life.

Thank you for your post, but everyone seems to be missing the point. This is not a build you do bosses with. Its not a build you farm uber labs with. Its not a super high life tank that can tank shaper hits. Its a RARE FIND that farms LOW TIER MAPS at level 80ish. If for some reason you want to go further, I suggested in the build to build for MORE LIFE.

Why does no one read the ****ing build before spamming UGH NEEDS MORE LIFE, YOUR BUILD SUCKS. Clearly, my build isn't the one that needs more life.
Spoiler
You do!
"
Hello! Welcome to my first build. The idea behind this build is to create a very tanky toon for HC SSF. I have theory crafted this for a long time but never actually implemented it, so please bare with me.

@OP Based on what you wrote in your first post, and seeing your response to people who spend their time posting their suggestions, I feel bad for them.

Take in feedbacks from other people more positively. Don't have to be so defensive.
"
"
sidorasek wrote:

Where to begin lol... The build is supposed to cap out at 80 with the purpose of finding loot for other characters. This is by no means a end all be all build, I said that in my build as well.

-I said several times, life on everything, if you plan to go further, get more life nodes. This has enough life at level 80 to do low end maps, combined with your max elemental resists, block, and armour, you have more then enough layered defenses.

-You are right, I didnt pick up any crit or RT. I leave that up to the player and the gear they find, as this is a solo self found build, you cant limit yourself to one or the other, you have to build around the gear you find.

-We stack block, yes, but a lot of shield talents in the duelist area of the tree also stack damage with that block. Again, this is a low tier map ssf rare find build. We dont need crazy DPS, just enough for clear speed to be decent.

-This build as I made VERY clear focuses entirely on rare find so that you can have those uniques you need for your next toon. Because of this, we take rings, amulet, and armour that has rare find on it, thus having one less modifier for other things. since you dont want to give up life on your gear, and attributes allow you to level gems higher, resistances are where we start to build in the tree for, so you dont have to worry about not having enough of one resist or another.

Overall you have to learn a lot more about reading the build before posting any sort of comment.

1.) 100% life is not enough to do ANY maps safely, not even with max block. Also resistances are a must on any build. You don't have layered defense, you have two defense mechanics: armor and block. That's all. With your life if your block fails on any crit or boss hit, you die.

2.) Not going to dispute this point since you have to go RT. You dont pick up crit nodes so crit is out of the question.

3.) This isn't enough. It's enough if you have things like 300 pdps rapiers and unique flasks but for SSF your damage will be lackluster. I don't know why you're trying to dispute this if you haven't even tried your build LOL.

4.) There are much better choices for MFing. Block builds and 1H melee builds require specific interactions to deal proper amounts of damage. Whether it's inquisitor crit/poison stacking/flask abuse. It's not something that will clear at any reasonable time. If you're planning to MF you use skills that don't require any gear investement to deal damage. MB is not one of those.

Your shield is more than enough to provide the resistance loss from rings (Which you can still get smh.). That was the whole point of my post, there is no need for stacking res on the tree. You can easily cap your resistances with a decently rolled armor and shield while stacking MF on your rings. Which is why I said Sovyn's build will work better than your build as Sovyn's can actually clear end game content while you're stuck worrying about capping your resistances and surviving with 3k life in tier 5 maps.
Why so serious?
"
kira1414 wrote:
"

@OP Based on what you wrote in your first post, and seeing your response to people who spend their time posting their suggestions, I feel bad for them.

Take in feedbacks from other people more positively. Don't have to be so defensive.

My problem isn't the feedback. Its the snarky remarks that come with them.

"

"
Try more life (this bothered me because it was the first thing said, despite me addressing the lack of life in the build)

If you are going to take the time to write a suggestion, especially on someones first attempt, being a complete fucking asshole isn't something that you need to do, and it helps to read the build, and not just skip to the tree and pick it apart without reading the explanation for that build
I was thinking of doing a rare find build as a starter for hardcore.

I like your idea of using block and building for elemental resists. One thing these elitists don't seem to remember is how hard it is to get max elemental resists on solo self found on a brand new league where you cant master craft anything yet and you cant pay someone to carry you through ascendancy in SSF. Stacking block and resists is one of the only sure fire ways to guarantee that you have enough survivability to even make it to map content.

Upon reaching map content however, I think you should start rebuilding your passives a bit to add more damage and life, as by then you start to get master crafting up to a point where its useful and you can add those resists to your armour.

Another thing worth doing, I think, is chancing pinnacle tower shields. Lioneye's Remorse is one of the best shields you can get for this build, and its not that hard to chance it. (1/20 chance on wiki)

Overall I like your build and I'm probably going to use your tree as a starting point to build my own variant, as with SSF as you said, you have to build around your gear, not your tree.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info