[2.5] Cheap Safe High/Max Block Ignite Gladiator with non-crit Blade Flurry and dual curse

The idea of this build is to have high/max block/spell block combined with Blade Flurry, because standing still during channeling synergizes well with block mechanic. With a good life pool, some armor and Fortify, we should also be able to take the rare hits that make it past our shield.

While trying to find an affordable weapon for Blade Flurry that doesn't make us look like a crazy butcher named Bino, I came about the Razor of the Seventh Sun, which has interesting mechanics surrounding ignites. Of course, Varunastra would be much better, but who has the monies for that?

Concept

In order to profit from the damage boosts on Razor, the plan is to use Herald Of Ash, Reckoning and Chance To Ignite for a reliable auto-ignite (mostly needed for bosses, because monsters in packs often get ignited from HoA effect already).
Our high block chance is also cool for applying curses with Reckoning and Curse On Hit. This means we can do a (dual) autocurse setup without having to reserve any mana with Blasphemy.

To get acceptable DPS we need a lot of attack speed and melee physical damage, because Razor isn't top in both stats.

Tree

Here is the final skill tree I'm planning to use (currently at level 83): 111 points

Leveling is pretty easy, we just follow the main path and take life/block or DPS nodes as we need them. Once we get past Unwavering Stance, it might be a good idea to shortcut left over Juggernaut to Resolute Technique as fast as possible, then later respec those two nodes, when we have made the connection to RT from the other side. If we can get a Lycosidae shield for leveling, this step can be omitted.

The order in which we take the ascendancies is personal preference. I usually play HC, so I would go for Painforged and Versatile Combatant first, but Gratuitious Violence helps a lot with clearspeed and thus provides faster leveling. Violent Retaliation is mostly for bosses, so we can probably put it off till Uber Lab.

An alternative in Ascendancy would be to take Outmatch and Outlast instead of Gratuitious Violence. This would increase general damage output (frenzy charges) and defense (endurance charges) at the cost of clearspeed. Maybe ignite alone is good enough for the weak monsters and the explosions from Bleed are a bit overkill. Charges can expire, but on the other hand, there are bleed immune monsters, too. And we can always use a Blood Rage or Enduring Cry to regenerate the charges, if necessary.

Gear

The other slots should be filled with +life, +res and +stats gear, with as high armor as we can get. If we get decent gear here, we can probably respec some +stats and +res nodes in the tree, and put them into inc. life nodes or the missing sword DPS nodes in the big sword wheel.

Additionally, we'll need a jewel with around 0.3% mana leech. Other jewels should focus on life and phys damage, and maybe some res, if we need it.

The curse ring can be dropped if the resistances can't be maxed without a second ring slot, same goes for the shield. Alternatively, one of the Purity auras can be used instead of the Vitality aura (might need to recolor sockets, though).

A nice but costly improvement would be a cursed Anvil with +1 to curses, so that we can replace the unique ring with a regular rare one that has +life, +res and +phys dmg mods.

If we can afford it, the new breach shield The Anticipation is a pretty good upgrade over Lioneye's, especially the upgraded version The Surrender.

And of course we could replace the Razor with a Varunastra, but that would be almost a complete different build, because we'd drop the Ignite stuff completely and also use different sword DPS nodes (Deadly Dilettante for example).

For flasks, the usual for a life/armor based char. Here are some good ones I often use Taste of Hate, Lion's Roar, Atziri's Promise, Forbidden Taste.
Just remember to always carry 1 emergency life flask with as much life regen per second and as many usages (low charge use, high charge count) as possible (best here would be either Forbidden Taste or a Seething Divine), 1 flask with "of Staunching" suffix, also ideally with low charge use and high charge count (doesn't have to be a Life Flask, though) and 1 flask for chaos resistance, either Atziri's Promise or a regular Amethyst flask with "Experimenter's" prefix for increased duration.
The other two flasks can be filled to our taste, for example with a Stibnite, Granite, Basalt or a Quicksilver flask.

Gems

Main 5L (6L): Blade Flurry, Faster Att., Melee Phys., Added Fire, Conc. Effect, (Weapon Ele. Dam.)
Defense 4L: Cast When Damage Taken, Immortal Call, Increased Duration, Tempest Shield
Movement 4L: Whirling Blades, Leap Slam, Faster Attacks, Fortify
Curse 4L: Reckoning, Curse On Hit, Vulnerability, Warlord's Mark
Aura 0L: Vitality, Arctic Armor, Herald of Ash
Ignite 2L: Reckoning, Chance To Ignite, Golem or whatever else we need

If we don't need the flexibility of two movement skills, we can replace one with Blood Magic, so that there won't ever be a situation in which we can't move away because of low mana. Or we can just remove one, move the setup to a 3L and then put auras into the 4L, so that we can link them to an Enlighten, if we want to use e.g. Anger instead of Vitality. Another option is to simply move Leap Slam to an isolated slot, because we might only need it to get over obstacles, and thus don't care about Faster Attacks and Fortify during its use.

Curses are pretty flexible, we could go more defensive with Temporal Chains, Enfeeble or maybe a Poacher's Mark (although you need different socket colors for these). I've removed Punishment as recommendation, because with the high block chance, we don't get hit often enough to profit much from it.

Would like to hear your ideas, suggestions and questions.
Account inactive since Tencent majority share acquisition.
Last edited by zagibu on Mar 6, 2017, 9:42:40 AM
Last bumped on Mar 7, 2017, 6:26:45 AM
Changed to dual curse setup, because Reckoning with Curse On Hit is pretty cool on high block chance chars. Harder to max res, though, when you sacrifice a ring for +1 curse. I'm also playing around with a Dreamfeather, because the much higher attack speed is very beneficial for Blade Flurry, despite the lower DPS.
Last edited by zagibu on Jan 24, 2017, 10:52:24 PM
I just found out that Reckoning + Chance To Ignite works when Herald Of Ash is active, so that gives a lot of DPS by moving CTI away from the main skill links.
Tried my best at formatting.
How good this build in endgame?
I've only used it up to T13 maps, which was fine. Also killed regular Atziri and Uber Izaro (without buffs) deathless at level 84. That said, it doesn't really have enough DPS to take on Guardians and Shaper, and some of the T10+ bosses with hard mods might also take a while to grind down.
I see. But it's a low budget build, so it's not a bad result. Thank you, mate.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info