Solo Self-Found Support in 2.6.0

"
Kravt wrote:
The whole discussion about tweaked drop rates or exclusive vendor recipes is pointless.

1. As long as the stuff is not voided and moved to parent league it will never happen.

This one I'll agree on, and fully support. SSF should not be a means of getting increased wealth for non SSF.
"
Kravt wrote:

2. As some people stated before: it kills the point of SSF. Players want a harder game, a game that has slower progression and lasts way longer. I am personally very exited about it and will definitely play it. If it has increased drop rates or any other 'free stuff' compared to core game then I would never touch it.

So yeah imo 1 + 2 combined is way too much to expect any differences from core game.

This one I'm still on the fence about. Yes, some people want a harder game, some people hate trading, some people don't know how to trade effectively, and some people that just don't care that the game is multiplayer. The vocal people are the ones that don't like trade (which increased drop rates does not address) and naturally the people that want a more challenging game (who probably don't want any kind of advantage, and even might want lowered drop rates).

I fall into the category of not giving a crap about multiplayer. I don't really give a crap about the ladder either though so theres very little incentive for me to swap to the SSF league. Although I would consider it if they would just dump my account straight in, but they probably won't do that since SSF is going to have its own ladder.
"
ghoulavenger wrote:
"
Kravt wrote:
2. As some people stated before: it kills the point of SSF. Players want a harder game, a game that has slower progression and lasts way longer. I am personally very exited about it and will definitely play it. If it has increased drop rates or any other 'free stuff' compared to core game then I would never touch it.

So yeah imo 1 + 2 combined is way too much to expect any differences from core game.

This one I'm still on the fence about. Yes, some people want a harder game, some people hate trading, some people don't know how to trade effectively, and some people that just don't care that the game is multiplayer. The vocal people are the ones that don't like trade (which increased drop rates does not address) and naturally the people that want a more challenging game (who probably don't want any kind of advantage, and even might want lowered drop rates).

I fall into the category of not giving a crap about multiplayer. I don't really give a crap about the ladder either though so theres very little incentive for me to swap to the SSF league. Although I would consider it if they would just dump my account straight in, but they probably won't do that since SSF is going to have its own ladder.

Yeah I may be abit biased and see what I want to see but from my experience observing those who already played SSF most of them enjoyed harder game and 'i dont like to trade' was not the case.
Last edited by Kravt on Jan 25, 2017, 3:00:28 PM
Great idea.

But SSF is pointless if you let transfer between characters. It will be only SSF for the first character, and thats it.

Dont call it SSF, because it is not, its just a no trade mode.

Make a real SSF for god shake.
IGN: Gonorreitor
"
Valmar wrote:
Great idea.

But SSF is pointless if you let transfer between characters. It will be only SSF for the first character, and thats it.

Gotta disagree. How is that not SSF? You play solo, you loot stuff yourself. You cant both party and trade.

Shared chest for your characters in the same league is core feature of the game, you are going too extreme. And having an opportunity to build new toon around stuff you looted(not traded) is very interesting experience especially for hardcore SSF.
Last edited by Kravt on Jan 25, 2017, 3:09:59 PM
transferring items between characters should be allowed in ssf leagues as it would farm some leveling gear for better build. farming with other characters to find gear is still self found because you are still doing all the work. it would be annoying to get the perfect unique for a BF build if your running a totem build and cant transfer it. you might as well remove storing anything but currency if thats the case.
"
Pilgrame wrote:
Think this will bring PT back?

What is PT?
Kill them all....
"
Kravt wrote:
"
Valmar wrote:
Great idea.

Gotta disagree. How is that not SSF? You play solo, you loot stuff yourself. You cant both party and trade.

Shared chest for your characters in the same league is core feature of the game, you are going too extreme. And having an opportunity to build new toon around stuff you looted(not traded) is very interesting experience especially for hardcore SSF.

I forgot the no party, lol, Im getting old.

Yeah, you are right in what you say, ofc its amazing and that. However, I would prefer the other, just each character self found.

As it is, which is fine (im not arguing that), the hard problems are just for thr first character. Later will be relatively easy.

Better this than nothing anyway, Im not complaining a lot. Just wanted a true hard mode.
But you are right I made a mistake while trying to say SSF was a bad name. I was wrong with that. SSF is correct.
IGN: Gonorreitor
I think the more support you give to each play style the better. For me personally it's meaningless though as it's not a mode I'd enjoy. Grinding Gear Games admit themselves that most players stop playing solo anyway (probably due to slow progress / wanting to be able to play with others eventually) so for me the idea of 'solo' self find is still boring and something I'd not want. I support the idea for others who want it but I would love a standard self find (not solo though).

Here is some examples of how it's different. Self found can still be done while playing with others (either by designating a party or 1 / 2 / 3 other players you can play with or the game just recognising a max number you can interact with before you are no longer self found. This to me is fair because you're not trading with an entire community and the idea is you'd lose access to playing with the others if they started trading with the community too. The point of this is so people who enjoy the game (friends / people living together) can actually still play together which is more fun but still enjoy the self found style. I'd actually enjoy self found where you can still trade between just the 4 of you since obviously it's still going to be a far cry from jumping on POE trade and just purchasing from any randomer.

Partying makes the game more fun, feeling like you have options (trading with entire community or a simple party of self found people of 4 at the max) is fun and these feel like they add real choice to the game then. Some people probably remember the days of playing diablo 1 or diablo 2 etc. where you could play solo and these days you're forced into the playstyle of rushing to keep up with the 24/7 twitch streamer based economy. This removes that feeling of forcing yourself to play to maintain others speed / standards and gives more choice. As much as I support other gamers getting there own self gimped, self challenge asserting style validated I do wish GGG would go a step further to support those that want this done in a way that supports more playstyles. Self found (rather than solo self found) could still be a good alternative for people wanting to jump in now and again but not rush the first week hardcore to keep up or have work commitments etc. Support your community and listen please!

A slight increase in drops for this style would be a good option too (allowing you to choose to have it or not) since it's balanced out by your lack of ability to trade anyway but being given the choice will help all play styles so help those that want to maintain challenge and those that want to test new skills / characters / playstyles in the solo found way. Doesn't even have to be a big increase but a modest balance change makes sense unless in denial of the advantages of trading or purposely seeking challenge (hence the option to not have increased drops). I fear it'll fall on deaf ears and my support for the game will wane over time but it'd be great to see the community listened to and options given to support all play styles.
Last edited by Giglameshu on Jan 25, 2017, 5:27:02 PM
Until I started playing Path of Exile during Closed Beta I had never heard of "Solo Self-Found". It turns out that is my default play style. I rarely play multiplayer and I do not trade. It actually came as a surprise to me when GGG stated this game was designed with those goals in mind. So the idea that this is considered a more challenging play style some people like to dabble in is somewhat amusing.

The SSF will not work if GGG stick to letting players leave the SSF league... Because you won't have things like:
(1) "buying Exalted orbs with merchants", As people suggested. 50 chaos to 1Ex, for example? (another incentive to do the chaos recipe among SSF players). Exalts are extremely important in endgame crafting!
(2) Higher drop rates for things - cards? sextants? breach shards? [the too-rare chayula].
The reason is, people will just have a SSF char to manipulate the non-SSF leagues.

Also, this move is very strange. Why create a league you totally don't believe in?
[1] GGG said the game is balanced around trading.
[2] GGG said they EXPECT people to leave this league.
They label it as "unnatural" to the game, and therefor how would they support it? or why?

If you already made the move towards SSF, I say - cancel the option to "opt out". This will ruin every possibility of balancing SSF.
Anything else will make the SSF a joke and not a respectable mode on its own.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info