So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Short version: This is it. I'm out.

Long version: I have long thought about writing this, eventually deciding that I should - as I really enjoyed PoE for several years and wanted to give feedback about why I no longer do.

I discovered PoE in summer of 2012 and instantly fell in love with it. It was so much better than D3 and other ARPGs back then. I played it a lot in the following months and all the way through 2013 and 2014. I took small breaks, but always returned to have fun with new content and new leagues. The pinnacle of fun was reached with 1.2, with Forsaken Masters and the Rampage league. I loved what I was playing, and I got my hands on high tiers of all the supporter packs.

Then my feelings started to change. I still enjoyed the game and its steady evolution, but more and more stuff started nagging me. This continued until the end of 2016, when I finally realized I no longer enjoy PoE.

I want to tell you why: I think I’m no longer the target audience of the game (except maybe from a financial point of view ;-)). I love killing stuff, seeing tense combat on my monitor, accompanied by good music and an interesting and captivating story. PoE used to satisfy that craving, but it no longer does. Today it’s all about killing stuff extra-fast, rushing content, grinding the same areas for hours and hours, a strange definition of “metagame”, even stranger balancing issues and - worst of all – trading. Well, the focus on economy was clearly stated from the get-go, the other stuff came with the growth of the game and the focus on streamers (who are a great way of attracting new players, but also enforce a min-maxing and clearspeed-driven playstyle).

I held out long enough, now I’m moving on. I really like the labyrinth, but most people seem to hate it, so it’s unlikely we’ll see anything like it in the future. I really like the Prophecy mechanic (it made playing the acts so much more varied and interesting again), but coin drop rate was nerfed for whatever reasons, so no more prophecies during leveling.

Thanks to GGG for making a game that is essentially great fun and kept me entertained for four years. Thanks to all the people I met while on the road , and thanks to all my guildmates. I might be back one day, if things go in a direction that feels good to me. Until then, I wish you all safe trails and epic loot.

Thyrandor
A sword he brought, his foes to maim and rend,
from places dark behind forbidden doors,
But night by night he woke with frighten'd roars
from darkest dreams, too strange to comprehend.
(Anonymous)
Last bumped on Jan 19, 2017, 4:29:45 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Nooooo, please stay! I don't want to be left alone with the clearspeed crew, lab haters and AH guys. :(
Perception is reality.
Kinda reading my feelings here as well. But i still gonna give 3.0 a shot.

If you didn't try Grim Dawn give it shot, seems to fit your ARPG style (and mine ;)) more atm. Even tho, it still feels a little bit like its still in beta.. ;)
Welcome to the greatest of arenas, Duelist. God is watching you.

Be well old timer.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Astarte911 wrote:
Kinda reading my feelings here as well. But i still gonna give 3.0 a shot.

If you didn't try Grim Dawn give it shot, seems to fit your ARPG style (and mine ;)) more atm. Even tho, it still feels a little bit like its still in beta.. ;)

You're right, I started playing Grim Dawn in earnest before Christmas, and I really enjoy it. Loot tables, amount of content and its dark tone really suit me. It still might need some polish, but I'm stoked for its first expansion.
A sword he brought, his foes to maim and rend,
from places dark behind forbidden doors,
But night by night he woke with frighten'd roars
from darkest dreams, too strange to comprehend.
(Anonymous)
Good post feel much the same. I was messing around with arc in standard on a assassin and make 300K DPS. However, when I came here, around Sacrifice of the vaal expansion, I copied a Foxtactics RF arc build and made only 21K DPS. Basically power has increased by over an order of magnitude in my almost 3 years. You one shot pretty much everything until 15 maps and even some builds can do one shot there. Many like this and certainly console gamers do (which may explain why they went that direction) but I don't for very long. It's been nagging at me since Charens epic One with Everything post but I keep playing mainly because I have not found a good alternative. Grim Dawn you say?

Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jan 19, 2017, 4:28:44 PM
I hope they add some change that let you come back.

Only a dumbass pays for a F2P game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info