[2.5] Scold's Bridle Berserker | Facetank Guardians on a budget

[2.6] legacy updaate: Build is dead. Mana has to be spent to actually proc CWDT. Should one want to still try a CWDT build, one should try building around a Hiltless... but that is for another time.

Intro:
Spoiler
With GGG creating such a challenge in breach,:
Spoiler

Fevered Minds are now cheap as hell compared to previous leagues where it was several exalteds per pop.
Spoiler

So... lets go! Do a scold's build!

How the build works:
Spoiler

Scold's Bridle allows us to hurt ourselves when we cast spells or attacks(curse or leapslam). This procs our CWDT linked to a bajillion spells to deal a bajillion damage. We use anger and elemental overload to get even more damage.

We then use

to sustain our life so we dont KYS. Mind over matter to keep our mana down.

Juicy Stats:
Spoiler
260% increased life on tree! > 8.4k life on a Brass dome. (9k with belly of the beast)(easily 7k hp on a budget

Damage:
Spoiler
We deal on average about 7k-12k tooltip per spell (with elemental overload) and we cast 11 spells (exclusive of molten shell).
We cast 3.08 times a second.
If i do my math correctly, we have about 300k dmg/s . without counting elemental resistance of course.

Pros:
Spoiler

High life pool > Tanky
Able to face tank and trivialize most endgame bosses/guardians
Good damage for cheap
Really flashy with tones of spells flying across the screen
40% more damage
We can afk bosses... to a certain extent

Cons:
Spoiler

HC viable? of course not
run out of flasks or when Zerphi's isnt up?

May be laggy and annoying for party members. (Those with no friends do carry on and lag the hell out of people in zana rots!)

Class and ascendancy considerations and trees:

Bandits:
Spoiler
Oak > Kill all > Kill all

Gearing and Gems
Spoiler

General gears you need:
Spoiler
Helm:
Spoiler

cant have a scold's bridle build without a scold's bridle

Chest:
Spoiler

5 or 6 link is not important. Best in slot is Brass Dome imo. You could use a belly of the beast too. KIV that getting blues on AR chests are difficult.

Other Gears:
Spoiler

1. Life
2. Resistance
3. Strength

...the usual and move speed on boots.
We get 154 Int from tree; Int on gear not required.

Try to get spell damage or cast speed on jewelry and attack speed on gloves for more QoL :)

Flasks:
Spoiler

Required if u dont want to KYS.

Jewels:
Spoiler

Needed to hurt yourself harder

Deeps version:
Spoiler

BIS imo. Doon gives strength (35 life) and cast speed. Its lv30 ironwill acts as a free link and gives a damage boost to 2 spells. Nice. We also have ~760 strength for a total of 95% increased damage.

Shield with life and resistance. Spell Damage is bonus

We could also use a hysteria weapon for even more damage. The burst deals ~16k ave damage. Quite substantial.

We use 5

and we use a Curse to proc the CWDTs, all kept at lv18

In Doon: lv18 CWDT - Flame Surge - FireBall
OffHand: lv19/20 elemental weakness - lv1 Bloodmagic - Faster Casting
Helm: lv18 CWDT - Shock Nova - Frost Bolt - Glacial cascade
Chest: Lv18 CWDT - Arctic Breath - Arc - Vortex - Iron will (Controlled destruction if u manage to get 4 blues!) - Anger(unlinked)
Gloves: Lv18 CWDT - Molten Shell - Magma orb - Shield charge (for movement or another spell if u want)
Boots: Lv18 CWDT - Flame Golem - Ice Nova - Freezing Pulse

Clear Speed Version:
Spoiler

Weapons required:

Off hand:

or

Using LeapSlam to proc the CWDTs. Bright Beak for QoL and faster attack speed. Hysteria Weapon for More damage. U could always buy 2 bitter dreams and weapon swap for bossing and general clear.

We Need to use 6

and keep ALL CWDT at lv14. Level all gems accordingly to lv64.
In Bitterdream: Faster Attacks - Lv1 Blood Magic - Leap Slam
OffHand: lv14 CWDT - Flame Surge - FireBall
Helm: lv14 CWDT - Shock Nova - Frost Bolt - Glacial cascade
Chest: Lv14 CWDT - Arctic Breath - Arc - Vortex - Iron will (Controlled destruction if u manage to get 4 blues!) - Anger(unlinked)
Gloves: Lv14 CWDT - Molten Shell - Magma orb - elemental weakness
Boots: Lv14 CWDT - Flame Golem - Ice Nova - Freezing Pulse

My Gear and flasks:
Spoiler

Flasks are as per required. Shock, curse, bleed, freeze etc. Couldnt get a dying Sun though. Too poor. rip.

Leveling:
Spoiler

Build not recommended till Lv68 or even late 70s. Not recommended till life pool of 6k+. Super Easy to KYS if not careful.
Level as dual warchief totems or fire storm etc. Grab as much life as possible

Vids of me facetanking shit
Spoiler

T15 Abyss UNID (apparently it's twinned)(Boss at 04:05):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFgWUHRPiDA
T14 Shrine (Boss at 05:38):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfFNXNOaEMI
T11 Strand:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tei8eMFTk_k
More shit coming soon... hopefully
Last edited by notgeesus on Apr 2, 2017, 12:05:06 AM
Last bumped on Apr 1, 2017, 11:53:24 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the guide. Trying this out and seem's nice so far. Got to merc dried lake and switched to cwdt setup. Couple of questions. Only have 4500life now at level 65, should I still level the cwdt gems to 18 or wait until I get more life? And leave em at a lower level? When should I take vaal pact in your opinion? Only using 2 of the gems that increase mana cost atm. Thanks in advance. PS. Sorry for the bad english.
"
kapefyra wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the guide. Trying this out and seem's nice so far. Got to merc dried lake and switched to cwdt setup. Couple of questions. Only have 4500life now at level 65, should I still level the cwdt gems to 18 or wait until I get more life? And leave em at a lower level? When should I take vaal pact in your opinion? Only using 2 of the gems that increase mana cost atm. Thanks in advance. PS. Sorry for the bad english.

To proc a lv18 cwdt, u need to take >2.8k dmg. any lifepool less than 2 twice that amount is super rippy, thus i would not recommend. You dont have to take vaal pact if u use ur flasks well. it is more of a QoL when u run out of flasks or forgot to use them.

Going to try out a taming + emberwake combo next to test the damage.
Thanks for the reply. Got to level 82 and now have 6000 life. Took vaal pact when I got all labs done and everything seems good now. Still randomly kys =) atleast every time I level up I do it. Did you try the taming+emberwake already?
Looks fun, I will roll this build and post feedback once I got through the tedious leveling.
deleted.. my bad
Last edited by BigBaMthrfckr on Jan 9, 2017, 12:35:55 PM
Hey!

Love this build. Leveling was really bad but after i achieved 65 lvl i put all necessary gear and started rolling with 5,4k hp. I still wonder why i KYS when i level up even if i pop flask. Anyways really good build, 5 fevered gems (all around 25% spell damage) + 25% spell damage on ammy + some % quality on gems and i melt everything. I just wonder if there is any better spell gem setup or this is the best this build can have :)

My regards,
Pientah
"
kapefyra wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Got to level 82 and now have 6000 life. Took vaal pact when I got all labs done and everything seems good now. Still randomly kys =) atleast every time I level up I do it. Did you try the taming+emberwake already?

Tried taming and emberwake combo and i dont really think it was worth losing ~700 hp for it. We have decent damage alr.

I also tired Voll's devotion + romira's + discharge (with 6 end charges). I tried linking discharge to cwdt and also selfcasting and using it to proc CWDT instead of the curse. Flashy, but not worth the currency and the lost of life imo.

If i am not wrong, Zerphi's only heals u after u take the damage from scolds. Thus, if u have less HP then u take, u kill urself even with the flask up.

With a constant 250-300ms latency on SG realm, i have put PoE on a Hiatus. Just picked up Grim Dawn on steam too. super addictive.
Last edited by notgeesus on Jan 9, 2017, 2:29:40 PM
Im running this build on lvl 90 now with 8,3k life and i was wondering if i should go for lvl 20 cwdt instead of 18s..?
Did you kill The Shaper with this build? Cuz im at lvl 91 now and wonder if i should give him a try

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info