Make a Reconnect/Checkpoint System When Disconnected During Lab (And More?)

As the title says it would be interesting to make a checkpoint system in the lab when a disconnection occurs, this way the character would appear back near where he was disconnected (= case#1).

Or at least at the begining of the map (= case#2).

EDIT : So to be clear an example for each case

Example of the case#1

You are walking through the labyrinth when you are about to hit the pack of mobs in front of you - then a disconnection occurs you are back to the login screen - you connect with your character and after a loading screen you are directly loaded into the same exact spot as before in the same exact state as before (flasks, skills, or whatever nothing has changed) and you can see the pack of mobs moving to you as you were about to crush them.

Here you don't get back into town or whatever you are directly and without your consent teleported to the same spot as before.

So this is for the first case when your character is teleported back in the situation

Example of the case#2.

The situation is exactly the same : you are disconnected and you log back then you are directly teleported this time - not in the same situation as before (which means near mobs, traps etc...) - but at the begining of the map where you were disconnected (if you were disconnected in an annex then you will be reconnected at the beginning of the annex etc...).

It is one solution or the other not both.

This system might be also extended to atziri/shaper/maps.
📜My hideout thread : https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2542497
Last edited by Synopsis on Dec 20, 2016, 4:13:22 AM
Last bumped on Dec 19, 2016, 3:51:59 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Is there even a way to do this though? If you are disconnected, then how can a checkpoint be created?
U MAD?
"
Docbp87 wrote:
Is there even a way to do this though? If you are disconnected, then how can a checkpoint be created?

It's certainly possible in principle. The server would have to keep your status updated more often, which would make the instance more costly to run from a computational perspective. Super generically, you would make the server save the instance by default and have the client manually tell the server to either rewrite the old state with the new one or keep track of what has changed. If the client disconnects the instance is waiting and the character can be put in the exact state that was last updated. I can't speak on how much work it would take to write because I don't know the details of how the game is currently programmed, but it is definitely possible to do.
Obligatory post:

From a developer's standpoint, what's to stop this from being abused? I mean, I can reach behind my computer and pull out my ethernet cable within a second or two, and I don't even have to get up to reset my router. This'd be a great way to cheese the Lab.
"
Trylobyte wrote:
Obligatory post:

From a developer's standpoint, what's to stop this from being abused? I mean, I can reach behind my computer and pull out my ethernet cable within a second or two, and I don't even have to get up to reset my router. This'd be a great way to cheese the Lab.

Well if your character is going back exactly where it was disconnected i don't see how it can be abused : the danger has not moved and you are still in the situation. And even if the system puts your character back to the beginning of the map where you were disconnected i don't see 99% of players toying with their cable moreover when you are in the middle of a pack of mobs or traps.

Edit : If they want even more security they can limit to 1/2 reconnections for instance.
Last edited by Synopsis on Dec 19, 2016, 3:05:13 PM
"
Synopsis wrote:
"
Trylobyte wrote:
Obligatory post:

Well if your character is going back exactly where it was disconnected i don't see how it can be abused : the danger has not moved and you are still in the situation. And even if the system puts your character back to the beginning of the map where you were disconnected i don't see 99% of players toying with their cable moreover when you are in the middle of a pack of mobs or traps.

Edit : If they want even more security they can limit to 1/2 reconnections for instance.

It would literally allow the use of logout macros, to refill pots/life/etc. and instantly remove you from danger, before re-entering without losing progress, only with full flasks and life etc.
U MAD?
"
Docbp87 wrote:
"
Synopsis wrote:
"
Trylobyte wrote:
Obligatory post:

It would literally allow the use of logout macros, to refill pots/life/etc. and instantly remove you from danger, before re-entering without losing progress, only with full flasks and life etc.

For the case#1 (you are back in the exact same state as before) : No since your character is going into the exact situation without any change of any kind all your flasks, skills, etc.. are in the same state as they were just before the disconnection.

For the case#2 (you are back at the beggining of the map) : A macro like this is in theory illegal lol.

However I'm more for the case#1, actually it is like in a lot of games the difference is that the lab is a sort of challenge where you should not die but once again if you're handed over to the same place at the same situation as before (in a middle of traps or mobs) i don't really see how it can seriously and massively be exploited.
Last edited by Synopsis on Dec 19, 2016, 3:30:09 PM
"
Synopsis wrote:
As the title says it would be interesting to make a checkpoint system in the lab when a disconnection occurs, this way the character would appear back near where he was disconnected (or at least at the begining of the map).

I don't think they would as it could be abused, but even if they did you are assuming that when you are kicked to the login screen that it is a disconnect it could be an instance crash(which puts you to the login screen) so even if the could do it there is no guarantee it would work as there may not even be an instance to portal to
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
"
Synopsis wrote:
As the title says it would be interesting to make a checkpoint system in the lab when a disconnection occurs, this way the character would appear back near where he was disconnected (or at least at the begining of the map).

I don't think they would as it could be abused, but even if they did you are assuming that when you are kicked to the login screen that it is a disconnect it could be an instance crash(which puts you to the login screen) so even if the could do it there is no guarantee it would work as there may not even be an instance to portal to

First post edited to be more clear.
Last edited by Synopsis on Dec 19, 2016, 3:34:45 PM
OP how do you play other online games?

One of my friends moved to a (wonderful) house in rural area and discovered too late how bad the connection is out there. (more packets get lost than actually delivered..)

He basically had to stop playing online games since he either ruined our team based sessions or couldn't progress in anything else he was playing.

Not even civilization worked, re-sync upon re-sync upon re-sync.

So my question is: Is there even a point in trying to make anything playable in these kind of scenarios? :/
Perception is reality.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info