DPS drop on glove change

<noobish question>
Leveling up my Scion. I was using the Bramble touch gloves. I replaced them with the
Doedre's gloves and my spark DPS dropped by 10% despite the 48% spell damage. Why would
that happen? I feel like I'm missing something basic?
</noobish question>
Last bumped on Dec 1, 2016, 2:31:36 PM
Deodre's Tenure also has a mod "20% reduced cast speed" and your Tooltip DPS, despite ignoring many real-DPS changes, does in fact include cast speed in its calculations
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
yes, the reduced cast speed mod on doedres
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
I would guess its because of the 20% reduced cast speed....

cast speed is a huge component of DPS

I cant do the math to figure it out because im a bit brain dead but that has to be it
I dont see any any key!
Huh....I read that as "faster cast speed" aka reduced time to cast the spell. My bad, thanks for all the replies.
"
k1rage wrote:

I cant do the math to figure it out because im a bit brain dead but that has to be it

explanation of relative change to DPS mathematical trends that is probably unneeded and overly wordy
it's not too hard to figure out overall trends of this if you have a grasp of multiplicative (proportional) rather than additive (linear) change, i.e. if you know the difference between "more" and "increased."

Proportional/multiplicative/"More/Less" is almost always more relevant to decision making because it's relative to what you have, and that's generally what you're concerned about. That's why the business/economic world tends to use % change instead of $s; they say revenue was up x% this quarter, or inflation is proceeding at y%.

This is especially relevant in RPGs, where you have multiple stats competing for your decision

and ARPG players tend to prefer maximizing DPS, which is a component of many things (damage of hit, speed of hits, chance of critical, critical multiplier, etc).

DPS is a rate, meaning it's the damage per hit times hits per second, so Increased X% damage and Increased x% cast speed apply multiplicatively with each other

meanwhile, within the increased x% damage and increased x% cast speed worlds, there is additive stacking, which is well known among POE players

for anyone who knows finance, "increased" damage is more like calculating an APR and applying the APR rather than calculating APY (i.e. it does the opposite of compounding).

so of course proportional marginal benefit gets lower as you go if you stack additively. It's easy to see in imagined manufacturing (100 toys per day -> 200 toys per day is a huge change, while 1,000,000 toys per day -> 1,000,200 toys per day is almost expected), in Diablo III ("if 500 strength grants 500% increased damage, why does the green DPS change only say +10%???" oh, it's because you already have 4900 strength, so 4900->5400 adds 54x your damage, or 55 multi, rather than adding 49x, or 50 multi, as before

The thing about that in Path of Exile is that "x% increased damage" is much, much more plentiful, and in higher numbers, than "y% increased attack/cast speed"

The moral of the story that I took millions of years to get to is that the proportional change in DPS tends to be higher with speed than damage

How can you calculate proportional change? It's actually much easier than you might suspect

Proportional change is new divided by old, like if you go 10->12, 12/10 = 1.2, or 120%, so it's a 20% more to add 2 to 10

so you just take the old increased %, add 100% (for base stat), and you have your "impairment" of multiplier

example if you have 50% increased stuff already, you impair by 1.5, or divide increased amount by 1.5 to get the more equivalent; say you want to know the "more" from 50% increased to 60% increased, that's +10% increased, so you take 10 and divide by 1.5 to get 6.67% more

it gets really easy to mental math when it's in multiples of 100

example

at 100% increased (200% multi), any x% increased is worth half x% more; 26% increased gets you 13% more

at 200% increased (300% multi) any x% increased is worth a third x% more; 30% increased gets you 10% more

at 300% increased (400% multi), any x% increased is worth a quarter x% more; 40% increased gets you 10% more

etc

now take into account a normal DPS-maxing build probably gets around 400% increased damage and 100% increased hit speed, or something like that

so 50% increased damage would be exactly worth 20% increased hit speed

EDIT:

and if you had 400% increased damage and practically no increased hit speed, 50% increased damage would be worth 10% increased hit speed!!!
-------

if you think about it that makes Doedre's Tenure probably a net gain of DPS at very low levels, but probably a net loss of DPS at higher levels, unless you have something that ignores cast speed, like Triggered Spells

end rant
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Dec 1, 2016, 2:33:01 PM
"
adghar wrote:
"
k1rage wrote:

explanation of relative change to DPS mathematical trends that is probably unneeded and overly wordy
it's not too hard to figure out overall trends of this if you have a grasp of multiplicative (proportional) rather than additive (linear) change, i.e. if you know the difference between "more" and "increased."

Proportional/multiplicative/"More/Less" is almost always more relevant to decision making because it's relative to what you have, and that's generally what you're concerned about. That's why the business/economic world tends to use % change instead of $s; they say revenue was up x% this quarter, or inflation is proceeding at y%.

This is especially relevant in RPGs, where you have multiple stats competing for your decision

and ARPG players tend to prefer maximizing DPS, which is a component of many things (damage of hit, speed of hits, chance of critical, critical multiplier, etc).

DPS is a rate, meaning it's the damage per hit times hits per second, so Increased X% damage and Increased x% cast speed apply multiplicatively with each other

meanwhile, within the increased x% damage and increased x% cast speed worlds, there is additive stacking, which is well known among POE players

for anyone who knows finance, "increased" damage is more like calculating an APR and applying the APR rather than calculating APY (i.e. it does the opposite of compounding).

so of course proportional marginal benefit gets lower as you go if you stack additively. It's easy to see in imagined manufacturing (100 toys per day -> 200 toys per day is a huge change, while 1,000,000 toys per day -> 1,000,200 toys per day is almost expected), in Diablo III ("if 500 strength grants 500% increased damage, why does the green DPS change only say +10%???" oh, it's because you already have 4900 strength, so 4900->5400 adds 54x your damage, or 55 multi, rather than adding 49x, or 50 multi, as before

The thing about that in Path of Exile is that "x% increased damage" is much, much more plentiful, and in higher numbers, than "y% increased attack/cast speed"

The moral of the story that I took millions of years to get to is that the proportional change in DPS tends to be higher with speed than damage

How can you calculate proportional change? It's actually much easier than you might suspect

Proportional change is new divided by old, like if you go 10->12, 12/10 = 1.2, or 120%, so it's a 20% more to add 2 to 10

so you just take the old increased %, add 100% (for base stat), and you have your "impairment" of multiplier

example if you have 50% increased stuff already, you impair by 1.5, or divide increased amount by 1.5 to get the more equivalent; say you want to know the "more" from 50% increased to 60% increased, that's +10% increased, so you take 10 and divide by 1.5 to get 6.67% more

it gets really easy to mental math when it's in multiples of 100

example

at 100% increased (200% multi), any x% increased is worth half x% more; 26% increased gets you 13% more

at 200% increased (300% multi) any x% increased is worth a third x% more; 30% increased gets you 10% more

at 300% increased (400% multi), any x% increased is worth a quarter x% more; 40% increased gets you 10% more

etc

now take into account a normal DPS-maxing build probably gets around 400% increased damage and 100% increased hit speed, or something like that

so 50% increased damage would be exactly worth 20% increased hit speed

-------

if you think about it that makes Doedre's Tenure probably a net gain of DPS at very low levels, but probably a net loss of DPS at higher levels, unless you have something that ignores cast speed, like Triggered Spells

end rant

now my head hurts...
I dont see any any key!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info