64 bit client DX11 not able to use more that 4gigs of memory

After running the game for a while (~1hour) I get this windows prompt, despite running the 64bit client.
POE never goes above 4GB of ram, and this PC has 32GB, with more than 20GB free for use, when this error occurs.

http://imgur.com/a/OrnNJ

Last edited by kaliXL on Nov 27, 2016, 10:35:52 AM
Last bumped on Nov 28, 2016, 10:25:12 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
kaliXL wrote:
After running the game for a while (~1hour) I get this windows prompt, despite running the 64bit client.
POE never goes above 4GB of ram, and this PC has 32GB, with more than 20GB free for use, when this error occurs.

http://imgur.com/a/OrnNJ

The problem here, is more likely to be an issue with virtual memory and not physical memory. Couple of questions for you.

1. Which version of Windows 7 are you using?
2. What are your pagefile settings?
Last edited by Kellog on Nov 27, 2016, 1:47:10 PM
windows 7 ultimate SP1
pagefile "virtual memory" disabled, there has been no changes to this system for years. Until this patch I was playing with no issues.
"
kaliXL wrote:
windows 7 ultimate SP1
pagefile "virtual memory" disabled, there has been no changes to this system for years. Until this patch I was playing with no issues.

As a start, I would certainly implement a pagefile. For some guidance on size, take a look at Pushing the Limits of Windows: Virtual Memory – Mark 's Blog
I've disabled virtual memory years ago (Windows 7 Pro, 16GB RAM) and never had a problem with it. I'm also playing exclusively with the 64bit client since it's available and didn't have a memory problem, or any crash at all, in about 23 hours total playtime. Didn't play in a party or in maps, though.

As far as I know, only a few very old applications might need a pagefile to run. My old stuff works just fine, but your mileage may vary.

You could try deleting the content.ggpk file in your PoE folder to get a fresh one, if you don't mind downloading more than 10GB. Before I started playing on Steam, I used to have to do this from time to time to eliminate problems and make the game load faster. I don't know if it still gets more and more fragmented/corrupted with every patch, but it might be worth a try.
"
Joker wrote:
I've disabled virtual memory years ago (Windows 7 Pro, 16GB RAM) and never had a problem with it. I'm also playing exclusively with the 64bit client since it's available and didn't have a memory problem, or any crash at all, in about 23 hours total playtime. Didn't play in a party or in maps, though.

As far as I know, only a few very old applications might need a pagefile to run. My old stuff works just fine, but your mileage may vary.

You could try deleting the content.ggpk file in your PoE folder to get a fresh one, if you don't mind downloading more than 10GB. Before I started playing on Steam, I used to have to do this from time to time to eliminate problems and make the game load faster. I don't know if it still gets more and more fragmented/corrupted with every patch, but it might be worth a try.

Running without a paging file is certainly possible and for those with large amounts of physical RAM, it may seem the most appropriate way to operate. However, doing so can also lead to issues like the one posted by the OP.

Setting a system managed paging file, takes a few minutes, and will potentially provide some insight regarding the problem.
Windows is designed to have the page-file on all the time.

I have 24gb system ram and get better performance with it on than off.

My next system when Zen hits the street will have 32/64gb ram and I will still have the page-file on.

Unless you have a reason not to do so I recommend using the windows default settings.
** Asus Crosshair TUF Gaming x570-Plus, Ryzen 3900x, Corsair H100i AIO, TridentZ 128GB DDR4, RX6900XT, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD **
I have been running pagefile disabled for years, it is not the problem. This all started with the DX11 client. I don't have the same problem with the old client.

I have no idea how you come up with the pagefile idea, but I tried enabling it again, despite my despise. And surprise surprise, it did not help.
"
kaliXL wrote:
I have been running pagefile disabled for years, it is not the problem. This all started with the DX11 client. I don't have the same problem with the old client.

The 64 bit client is substantially different to the 32 bit client with regard to the way memory is addtessed. Considering only the user mode address space, A 32 bit process on a 64 bit Windows operating system can only has access to 2GB of address space, unless IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE has been set at compile time, in which case it's 3GB. The 32 bit PoE process can only address 2GB.

A 64 bit process on a 64 bit OS has the possibility, depending on the version of the OS, to address up to 128TB.

"
I have no idea how you come up with the pagefile idea, but I tried enabling it again, despite my despise. And surprise surprise, it did not help.

The main reason I suggested the paging file route, is simply because it's the most common fix for a relatively common problem, with Windows Operation Systems. However, there are other possibilities, such as a limitation on the amount of free disk space, this shouldn't be an issue if you don't have a paging file. Perhaps malware, but th1s card is played way to often and is more often than not a red herring.

Realistically, you'll have to try and do some analysis of your system when playing and when the error occurs. You could use Performance Monitor, Task manager or you can download Sysinternals Process Explorer - … which can provide more detailed information. Keep an eye on the commit charge values. I also suggest reading the article I linked above.

It's also important to make sure you investigate this issue when you have all your usual applications running with their normal datasets loaded. For example, if, when playing PoE, you usually have your browser open, along with a music/video player, maybe a communications application etc. make sure to run these when troubleshooting.

With regard to paging files in general, whilst I appreciate you have run without one for some time, there are good reasons to consider using one. Here's something I found a while ago, I forget where.

"
No matter how much RAM you have, you want the system to be able to use it efficiently. Not having a page file at all forces the operating system to use RAM inefficiently for two reasons:

First, it cannot make pages discardable, even if they have not been accessed or modified in a very long time, which forces the disk cache to be smaller.
Second, it has to reserve physical RAM to back allocations that are very unlikely to ever require it (for example, a private, modifiable file mapping), leading to a case where you can have plenty of free physical RAM and yet allocations are refused to avoid over-committing.

Consider, for example, if a program makes a writable, private memory mapping of a 4 GB file. The operating system has to reserve 4 GB of RAM for this mapping because the program could conceivably modify every byte and there is no place but RAM to store it. So from the start, 4 GB of RAM is basically wasted (it can be used to cache clean disk pages, but that is about it).

You need to have a page file if you want to get the most out of your RAM, even if it is never used. It acts as an insurance policy that allows the operating system to actually use the RAM it has, rather than having to reserve it for possibilities that are extraordinarily unlikely.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info