[2.4] Scorching Ray DPS Calculator - TheoryCraft Build - 4kk DPS Dual Totem Possible

Hey guys, english its not my native language, so i will do my best here to make me understandable.

I'm currently theorycrafting a dual totem Scorching Ray build and, to do that, i've made a calculator on Excel. As I thought it would be useful for someone else, i decided to make this thread, and it's the first one that i've made. So how i'm not sure if the formulas are right in the calculator, i'll present all formulas and methods that i've used to do it.

First of all, the damage per cast formula:

Damage/Cast = Base_Damage_ScorchingRay*( 1+ [(%)inc_elemental_damage + (%)inc_DoT + (%)inc_Burning_dmg + (%)inc_Fire_dmg + (%)inc_Spell_dmg + (%)inc_totem_dmg]/100 )

These 6 parameters are the ones that i've considered additive to the skill.

Here are the parameter that i've considered multiplicative on the formula presented above:

Spell Totem Support gem -> (considered lv20) --> Damage/Cast*0,74
Rapid Decay Support gem -> (you can change the lv of this one in the calculator), but to demonstrate here, considering lv 20 --> Damage/Cast*1,39
Less Duration Support gem -> (considered lv20) --> Damage/Cast*1,19

The DPS will be Damage/Cast*Cast/s

Cast/s follow the wiki PoE page, so we're safe here.
Ps.: Dont worry, the penalty from Spell Totem, on cast speed, its included on calcultor.

The DPS/stage follows the formula:
1st stage: DPS=Damage/Cast*Cast/s
2nd stage: DPS=DPS_from_1st_Stage*1,6
3rd stage: DPS=DPS_from_2nd_Stage*1,6
8th stage: DPS=DPS_from_7th_Stage*1,6

As i choose the Elementalist Witch to try it out, you have the option to choose if Pendulum of Destruction its up or not (marking with an x). As i take Elemental Overload in skilltree, you have the option to choose if its up or not (marking with an x).

The possible gems to select in the calculator are:

-Rapid Decay (can change the lv)
-Elemental Focus (can change the lv)
-Inc. Burning Damage (can change the lv)
-Spell totem (Fixed lv.20)
-Empower (Can change the lv.)
-Fire Penetration (ignore)[dont think it work with Scorching Ray anyway]
-Less Duration (Fixed at lv.20)
-Controlled Destruction (Can change the lv)
-Scorching Ray (Can change the lv)
-Faster Casting (Can change the lv)
*All gems are considered 20 quality on calculator

Calculator Explain:
You have a matrix where you can add (%)inc(of multiple sources) from your gear or jewels.
For example, if you are holding a Shield with 40% increased Spell Damage and a Doryan Catalyst with 10% increased Cast speed and 90% Increased Elemental Damage (+38 from implicit) you have to go for:
Main Hand x Ele dmg -> then put 128
Main Hand x Cast speed -> then put 10
Shield x Spell Damage -> then put 40

Besides, you have the skill tree area that it's where you put all (%)inc. parameters that you get from your skill tree.

So, the way you go to use the calculator it's:

Setup you (%)Increased from Skill tree area
Setup Item (%) increased Stats from your gear
Setup Linked Gems marking with and "x" and their level to whose that work
Setup possibilities area, marking with an "x" if the respective stat its up or not (empty cell for not up)

See your final DPS

Link to see/download calculator:
The way i find out to link the calculator was uploading on a website (not sure if you can see or download it, but i will fix if its not working):
Spoiler
https://docs.zoho.com/sheet/ropen.do?rid=0kav557b1b9f3574a44bfa4cd753ce19513da

My Theory Crafting results:

Realistic (poor ppl like me) 109 pts skill tree:
Spoiler
http://poeplanner.com/AAMAAURBQU1EQWdBQWRTeWNFRmlIWlJFdGZJT25sRjVkMGYzcjdxY0kyQ1JXU0k5R0hSUVNhUmNjY1htYm9mZlhySmp4YkRiWVNSc3FqZXhWLXRKbW5samxLaE5hSzZQeWNnOXhoWHJtWV8xRzE1UnZabFFpOUd3TGt5ZU1OdVVadERqNzlaZVhSWHdyZUJfSGJSa3RpdzVJdHpBVUNSTnRKb2kzTVl4MkhOeTRreWo2bUsyQnI3alEyanF4Qlk4YVY4a05mTmxiR3lWTHJ1a0NFWllISHBVdThOVkpVWV82N0Jnc3Z4WFhocTVXWTRSSVhHdkRiVjN5ZjhhZXhLYS1WRWZmaWhGUU5ibW5LeGhxZUM5WUIzemxkRlZmS29WdDFZRWsyQy1kRnZNbVBLLTNrUHJmYlV5TDcwdlVCOXlOYTNySXZ3PT0AEEFBQUNBQWZRQVFIMEFRQUEAAA==

Completed Realistic Skill tree:
Spoiler
http://poeplanner.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

Optmized skill tree (need 8 grand spectrum jewel):
Spoiler
http://poeplanner.com/AAMAAVRBQU1EQWdBQWZDeWNFRmlIWlJFdGZJT25sRjVkMGYzcjdxY0kyQ1JXU0k5R0hSUVNhUmNjY1htYm9mZlhySmp4YkRiWVNSc3FqZXhWLXRKbW5samxLaE5hSzZQeWNnLVViMlpVSXZSc0M1TW5LM2dmeDIwWkxZc09TTGN4akhZYzNMaVRLUHFZclk4YVY4a05mTmxiR3lWTHJ1a0NFWllISHBVdThOVkpVZXdZTEw4VjE0YXVWbU9FU0Z4cncyMV94dC1LZ3NjZHZqT0hBLTc1NkJocWVDOVlCeEZRTmJtbkszemxFUTg3RGVfclVmdk5GaDhZdm9xaEx4Zzh2U2NZVnNIRldGcFNLVlhnNDRRYnlNX2Q4WW92blJiekpqeUZiZFdCSk5oeGhYcm1ZXzFHMTEzeW5zU212bFJIakRhUS10OXRUSXZ2UzlRSDNJMXJlc2lfABBBQUFDQUFmUUFRSDBBUUFBAAA=

Notice that as i'm not playing atm, i dont know if increased duration skill nodes are required for the skill gem. If this is the case, i suggest this realistic skill tree:
Spoiler
http://poeplanner.com/AAMAAURBQU1EQWdBQWRTeWNFRmlIWlJFdGZJT25sRjVkMGYzcjdxY0kyQ1JXU0k5R0hSUVNhUmNjY1htYm9mZlhySmp4YkRiWVNSc3FqZXhWLXRKbW5samxLaE5hSzZQeWNnOXhoWHJtWV8xRzE1UnZabFFpOUd3TGt5ZU1OdVVadERqNzlaZVhSWHdyZUJfSGJSa3RpdzVJdHpHTWRoemN1Sk1vLXBpdGdhLTQwTm82c1FXUEdsZkpEWHpaV3hzbFM2N3BBaEdXQng2Vkx2RFZTVkdQLXV3WUxMOFYxNGF1Vm1PRVNGeHJ3MjFkOG5fR25zU212bFJIMzRvUlVEVzVweXNZYW5ndldBZDg1WFJWWHlxRmJkV0JKTmd2blJiekpqeUN4eDItTTRjRDd2bm9rUHJmYlV5TDcwdlVCOXlOYTNySXZ3PT0AEEFBQUNBQWZRQVFIMEFRQUEAAA==

I've find out that the best DPS it's going for +3 lv. gem 6-L Staff with Optmized Skill tree and these gems:
ScorchingFire>SpellTotem>Inc.Cast Speed>empowerlv.4>Ele.Focus>Rapid Decay

With this Setup, according to the calculator and considering 0 Fire Resistance from mob (Calculator consider 0 Fire Resistance) and NOT considering the fire penetration from tree and Elementalist Passive, but considering Elemental Overload and Pendulum of Destruction UP, you can achieve 61,5k DPS at 1st Stage going to 1,65kk DPS at 8th Stage PER totem.
I've considered just a +3 lv. gem and 10cast speed on it. Considering that its reasonable drop 150 fire resist from a mob (dual curse + EE) and the 30% fire pen (25+5) from Elementalist+Passive skill tree, i think you can reach 2,145kk DPS per totem, or a total of ~ 4,3kk Total DPS.

Notice that we take few increased totem life nodes, so probably they will be one shoted basically for anything, so you have to taunt stuff.

Overall i dont know if the dps formulas are right, or if i miss concept something in the way, but the numbers looks good for me, mainly for ppl that dont have much currency in-game or for new leagues.

Anyway, the proposal of this threadits clear the Scorching Ray mechanics for all of us, so that we can find the best way to minmaxing it.

I hope i have helped someone.
Last edited by josedinarte on Nov 23, 2016, 6:26:35 PM
Last bumped on Nov 25, 2016, 9:08:21 AM
i think EE don't effect for Scorching Ray
I'm from THAILAND
You wont proc EE with Scorching Ray itself, but throwing a freezing trap or other source that works with Ancestral Bond.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info