Scorching Ray

BUG: Templar. Playing in party with friend. Scorching Ray - Spell Totem - Faster Casting - Elemental Focus. I'm using 2 totem with Ancestral Bond. Really often (really) one totem or even two hitting nothing. They just look at some random direction where no mobs. First I thought they trying to hit mob somewhere far and I don't see that mob. But after I have played a couple of hours It seems they sometimes just choose random direction without any mobs.

P.S. Please make a working tooltip. It kinda shows dps if place scorching ray with spell totem but it ignores casting speed.
Screens:

And there are no Merveil's animate weapons (flying swords). They simply attack nothing...
Last edited by xlxDemoneLxlx on Nov 21, 2016, 5:31:23 PM
I believe I have found a viable Scorching Ray build that works quite well.
I use an Inquisitor Templar Pious Path build. I have been toying with this path build for a while trying to find a viable skill that works well with consecrated ground. Lo and behold GGG has gone and designed a skill that synergises well with this type of build and tanky too
I am using the cloak that gives 100% consecrated ground on blocking, so this will be a shield blocking base build. Beneficial for standing in one place channeling. Using Keystone Zealots Oath to convert life regen into energy shield regen. This will be energy shield tank too. So be looking at getting energy shield nodes and life regen nodes.
Still working on finer points of the build, introduce a totem to benefit the burning damage proc
Feedback
Character Name calamityscortch

Leveled a scion in esc with it. Was mostly self found till about level 50 (berserk / Raider).
Ran about 20 of tier 10-8 maps and 5 tier 14-13. Didn't attempt guardians or end game bosses.
It was self cast Scorching Ray using 4 linked +1 gem helm.
Links were SR + Elemental focus + Controlled Destruction + Rapid decay

The skill seemed good for leveling as a scion but I basically rushed two dps keystones.
I can imagine leveling it as other classes is going to feel a bit worse but still ok.
Leveling was actually fairly easy but I did die a few times because of standing in place channeling.
Kaom in act4 gave me a lot of problems when he spawned mobs because they came from all directions.

Xp per hour in dried lakes merc was about 30m until I could get enough life (kaoms) and damage.
Once I had my full set up the xp per hour jumped to about 100m

Without strong leveling unique items or end game ones you spend a lot of your dps time dodging.

Map boss kill speed is decent with strong unique items without them it's kinda slow.

My build could run most mods besides no regeneration including bloodmagic because no auras really help it that much. Hexproof would be a slight problem as a large chunk of my dps comes from curses.

I'm still not sold on the whole staff caster part but with enough life you can make it work.

One issue I ran into in maps was porcupine mobs without any freeze to shatter before they explode.
Basically burning a whole pack of them could result in them running at you and just exploding.

Turn speed seems fine you barely need any extra cast speed to have a decent turn rate.

TL:DR

I'd rate the skill in terms of clear speed overall at below
firestorm and flameblast but above most other fire skills.
That's mostly because those skills can scale with crit.

Defensively the skill is ok because of its range.
The way it channels forces you to stand still is it's obvious draw back defensively.
Not being able to chill / freeze is also a large draw back but most fire skills are that way.

Great for leveling especially as scion
You spend a bit of time dodging instead of channeling -less so if your gear is good-
Exploding mobs can give you problems as you cant freeze them
Most map mods are possible only a few are hard (hexproof)
Being Swarmed by monsters can suck

Biggest issue was exploding monsters aka porcupine.
-Wasn't using a cwdt immortal call that for the most part would helped with porcupine-
Last edited by CalamityAOE on Nov 24, 2016, 8:22:06 PM
"
i dont understand the "dmg is so low" fraction...
6 link with empower
https://youtu.be/GB3XWD2ajis

Because you made a video, overleveld, with a SIX LINK and empower that couldnt kill weaver before he went up. That is hillariously bad, I can't even count how many shit builds I've made that could rip through him before he could phase when I fought him at level.
"
Zaanus wrote:
"
6 link with empower

Because you made a video, overleveld, with a SIX LINK and empower that couldnt kill weaver before he went up. That is hillariously bad, I can't even count how many shit builds I've made that could rip through him before he could phase when I fought him at level.

maybe if you look the second video where i did it 4 link with no empower and i killed him before he got up ( had no elemental overload proc on the first vid with the 6l )
but rly good critics man...*facepalm*
and how exaclty can u be overleveled with lvl 59 to a 61 zone? tell me u seem to have interesting logics
IGN Dontdieforkingass
Last edited by LickingLama on Nov 22, 2016, 9:52:47 AM
"
"
Zaanus wrote:
"
6 link with empower

maybe if you look the second video where i did it 4 link with no empower and i killed him before he got up ( had no elemental overload proc on the first vid with the 6l )
but rly good critics man...*facepalm*
and how exaclty can u be overleveled with lvl 59 to a 61 zone? tell me u seem to have interesting logics

Most people here base their opinion on high level gameplay.
Get good gear and get to end game maps if you want credible opinion.
Every skill performs good at your level.
"
Most people here base their opinion on high level gameplay.
Get good gear and get to end game maps if you want credible opinion.
Every skill performs good at your level.

obviously not every skill
like ele hit, lightning tendrils, blight and and and and
i just wanted to give my opinion to what expirience I got till NOW
its not like i said WOW this skill is mega uber good and will rape endgame.
i write my opinion not for anybody of you guys here i write it for the developers, since
they will be interrested in how the skill performs in low mid and endgame content
since im only on my way to get into endcontent i cant provide more information till now but im sure others can and im keen in how ppl think it performs in highlevel content
also i like to know if burnimmune guardians will take damage from it or not since i simply cant test that
IGN Dontdieforkingass
Last edited by LickingLama on Nov 22, 2016, 11:22:05 AM
Doriyani Fist works with Scorching Ray.'
Quick question: Playing Scorching Ray/Incinerate totems... SR primarily for the de-buff. Does +burning damage from my passive tree help my SR totems?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info